Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 August 2019 - 04:10 AM)

Let me call on my friend Dr Rockso, the Rock 'n Roll Clown. (He does cocaine.)

@  Nutjob R/T : (20 August 2019 - 12:48 AM)

New crowdfunding project: We need to get enough nose candy for the Paramount execs to keep 'em up long enough to get DS9 squeezed out

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 04:36 PM)

They're hideously cheap. I'm just glad some decision maker in the upper echelons stayed high as a kite for long enough for us to get TOS, TNG and TAS on blu-ray

@  Rycochet : (19 August 2019 - 04:16 PM)

Paramount are kinda cheap and Ds9 isn't popular enough for them to go all out on a remaster.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:37 PM)

Or hell, they could just shorten a season of Discovery by 2-3 episodes and that'd pay for the DS9 remaster in full (assuming the 8 to 8.5 million per episode for Discovery that was reported a while back is accurate)

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Redoing some of the more simple effects like phasers and transporters and whatnot (basically what they've already had practice doing for TNG)

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:30 PM)

They could scan and rebuild the film elements, and then upscale the original CGI only (provided it still exists as separate footage)

@  Dekafox : (19 August 2019 - 02:33 PM)

Basically its in the same situation as DS9 IIRC with loss of models and how the CGI was applied to the existing footage.

@  Dekafox : (19 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

Not gonna happen unless they recreate all the CGI from scratch, unfortunately. Or just upscale the broadcast masters, which would be basically pointless.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 August 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Babylon 5 must come to Blu Ray.

@  MEDdMI : (19 August 2019 - 07:28 AM)

Even in the winter, he has to clear the roads of snow.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 August 2019 - 03:46 AM)

His work is never done.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2019 - 03:06 AM)

Everyone quickly gets sick of flubbing the name and collectively agree to just call the combiner "Roadworks"

@  Sabrblade : (18 August 2019 - 09:34 PM)

For some reason, I've always wanted to see a "Menastator", all five Stunticons and all six Constructicons in an 11-piece combiner.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

He-Man & the Masters of the Universe: New Netflix show p129

2608 replies to this topic

#1741 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7094 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

I loved Fisto! He was one of my favourite characters. No idea why. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#1742 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:35 AM

So the third new toy will be of that dark horned dude who showed up in some of the series' flashbacks - and Season 3 would have him joining Hordak as a general. What was his name? I always liked the design, odd how they never named him in the show.

I know all of He-man is a bit goofy/campy, as it should be, but even as a kid I thought Fisto was somehow excessively lame and goofy.

-ZacWilliam, not sure if it was the Barbershop Quartet mustache, or the name or what...

Well, original Fisto was. The 200X version was pretty cool. Though, yeah, having a giand hand he must have been the butt of many of "those" jokes no doubt as to why only that hand is so huge. :D

Edited by BB Shockwave, 17 March 2015 - 03:36 AM.

#1743 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17144 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

Wow. He-man.org asked their fans on Facebook what style of animation they'd like any future He-man show to be done in.

The overwhelming answer is Filmation style animation.

And I thought Joe fans were dangerously stuck in the past, but Wow.

I love the original MOTU. I grew up with it.

Anybody who thinks any new show should be done in THAT primitive style...

-ZacWilliam, just Wow.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#1744 Big Show

Big Show

Had about enough of your crap, Mario.

• Supporter
  • 7862 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:06 PM

That is completely unsurprising.

QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a distinct difference between buying something and SUPERbuying.
And SUPERbuying is not quite as extreme as buying the HUG outta something.
There's a hierarchy.

#1745 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7094 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

I think it would be nice to take some heavy inspiration from Filmation, but you wouldn't want to go all the way. O.o

WsuGTl1.jpg

#1746 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17746 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

"Inspired by" but not the same as is something I would enjoy. There's a lot of bold lines and such that are worth emulating...but obvious stock footage and stiff animation is not. Haven't seen the 200X series for an outright comparison.
Spoiler

#1747 Onyx Minor

Onyx Minor

Teporocho

• Staff
  • 11014 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

I want Filmation versions probably just as much as I want 200X versions...because I want more MOTUC.  The classic figures already look kinda like FIlmation style, so I'd prefer more new stuff.  

Honestly, though, I loved the 200X show even more than the Filmation series (which kinda bores me now) and I hate that it continues to get dumped on.  And let's not even get started on NA.  Pretty sure we have a few more to go on that series as well. :/

#1748 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2962 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

La La Land records announced Filmation's MOTU music release! This time for REAL! Over 90 minutes on 2 CD's! :)

https://www.facebook...9023755/?type=1

Too bad that neither me nor James Eatock are getting a free copy.  :p

Wow. He-man.org asked their fans on Facebook what style of animation they'd like any future He-man show to be done in.

-ZacWilliam, just Wow.

They asked about art style, not animation style. Two different things, man.

And Filmation's animation style, the stock system - ain't primitive. It's just low budget animation. A thing that should for sure remain in the past. If they were still around, in this digital age they'd be able to do even better work that they've done on Flash Gordon animated movie:

(I just can't resist linking that AWESOME adaptation. :p )

Hell, before they were shut down by L'Oreal, they were actually intending to abandon the stock system. :)

Edited by D.M, 17 March 2015 - 09:05 PM.

#1749 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65390 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

Great news about the CD!

Randy

• D.M likes this

ACItEK8.png

#1750 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

• Guests

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:56 AM

DM - as much as I love that show (I wish they released the movie on DVD too!) - that sort of animation technique is sadly, not really used much anymore. Painted backgrounds are replaced with CGI or flash more and more.

As for art style, I'm in preference of the 200X style. In fact, I'd love to see a Flash Gordon show revived the same way as MOTU was - and the 90s Extreeeeme Teenage Flash series should be best forgotten.

-ZacWilliam, just Wow.

You are surprised? Look around on the Thundercats.org board, and see their reaction to the new show. In a way, we can be lucky that TF had so many incarnations people cannot say there is one specific "style" to be used for TFs.

On the other hand, if they made a Crognard the Barbarian show using Filmation style... I'd fund it. :D

The 200X series was perfect, IMHO - it revitalized the characters and updated their designs, making them more detailed (sure, we had that for He-Man and Skeletor in the New Adventures, but not the others). In some cases, it made characters who looked just plain ridiculous before (Trap-Jaw, Ram Man) look pretty cool and imposing.

I do have nostalgia for the old toys, but the simple reason why I don't collect them? Well, they were rather terrible to be frank. They weren't GI Joe or G1 TF style engineered, half of them shared the same body parts... I have actually had some of those KO MOTU toys Phelous reviewed and they proved to be more durable than many MOTU toys I find on the flea market.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 18 March 2015 - 08:03 AM.

#1751 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2962 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

Painted backgrounds are replaced with CGI or flash more and more.

Flash is not necessarily bad. You can actually use it to make hand drawn animation. :)

As for backgrounds, there's always Photoshop. ;)

#1752 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

It's funny, I don't think the 80s Cartoon holds up well at all. In either animation style or art (or story or character). It's probably the most dated and least fun/watchable of the 80s cartoons I've re watched.

But I love the 80s MOTU toys WAY more than any of the modern stuff. Certainly heaps more than the Classics. The Classics are great poseable adult figurines of the characters and if I wanted figures to set up an shelves and display they are the ones I's choose but... if I wanted fun toys for kids, the originals have that in spades. Perfect size, fun posability, brilliantly goofy unique action features for each guy. Toys like that is where my nostalgia really is.

-ZacWilliam, all the weird gimicks each different figure had was something I don't know if we'll ever see in a toyline again...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#1753 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18619 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:10 AM

So the third new toy will be of that dark horned dude who showed up in some of the series' flashbacks - and Season 3 would have him joining Hordak as a general. What was his name? I always liked the design, odd how they never named him in the show.

I know all of He-man is a bit goofy/campy, as it should be, but even as a kid I thought Fisto was somehow excessively lame and goofy.

-ZacWilliam, not sure if it was the Barbershop Quartet mustache, or the name or what...

Well, original Fisto was. The 200X version was pretty cool. Though, yeah, having a giand hand he must have been the butt of many of "those" jokes no doubt as to why only that hand is so huge. :D

And in Fisto's later years...

tumblr_msduk9eNct1somw7ho4_1280.png

tumblr_msduk9eNct1somw7ho5_1280.png

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#1754 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

• Guests

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

That's hilarious. :) Fisto was at least muscled enough that he could pummel anyone who made a joke about his giant hand... with his giant hand. :)

#1755 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65390 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

Prahvus.

http://news.mattycol...lment-ends-323/

ACItEK8.png

#1756 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65390 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

Prahvus_001_600px.jpg

ACItEK8.png

#1757 Big Show

Big Show

• Supporter
  • 7862 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, he's pretty sexy. They did a really good job with the sculpts for the 200x sub.

By the way, the 200x sub is at 81% of the goal with 3 days left. Pretty good shape, if you ask me.

QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a hierarchy.

#1758 MightyMegs

MightyMegs
  • Citizen
  • 4237 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

My very first Classics figure arrived this week: Space Skeletor!

002_zpspzfw4geh.jpg

Aside form Skeletor being my favorite, waaaaaay back in 1989 I was working at TRU and got to dress up as him for a store promotion. I usually pulled Geoffrey Giraffe duty when the costumes came through the store... but this time I insisted on being Skeletor.

IMG_0001_zpst78xdt1n.jpg

IMG_zpsexkg1klv.jpg

#1759 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65390 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

Great photos.  The figure is really great too, despite wearing his skin rather than having a new torso like was originally shown.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#1760 Big Show

Big Show

• Supporter
  • 7862 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

Those are some AWESOME pics.

And yeah. IG Skeletor is pretty great, if you can get past his belly button being exposed. I hunch him over slightly at the midsection, and he's all set.

QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a hierarchy.

Reply to this topic

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users