Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rycochet : (27 March 2017 - 05:10 PM)

Don't expect major events to be forshadowed.

@  Telly : (27 March 2017 - 04:57 PM)

wow! what a twist! mirage is suspected of being a traitor! :rolleyes

@  Telly : (27 March 2017 - 04:49 PM)

yeah im only on issue 4 and its only been like 30 minutes since i started. lots of splash pages and very little dialog

@  unitremover : (27 March 2017 - 04:47 PM)

I read it for the first time about a year ago and my main problem with it was just how little content there seemed to be in the individual issues. I remember thinking that it took probably three issues before I felt like it had really delivered a "proper" issue's worth of story.

@  Telly : (27 March 2017 - 04:33 PM)

id rather read about the galaxy-wide war than yet another story on earth. thats one of the things i loved about formerly r.i.d. but when they went back before combiner wars i lost interest. i read til all are one because of this.

@  Rycochet : (27 March 2017 - 04:24 PM)

It's one of those stories that gets slightly better with age because you know that IDW comics recover, but at the time it was a massive step back, a complex universe where the war was being fought across the galaxy swept away offpanel and replaced by n episode of the cartoon with blood..And there's a fan character we were told we were going to love, inserted to lecture the Autobots.

@  Bass X0 : (27 March 2017 - 04:12 PM)

Its not a bad story really, but then I've read actual bad TF event stories by IDW that came later. There is one major turnabout that happens off panel with no explanation that should have been addressed better though.

@  Telly : (27 March 2017 - 04:08 PM)

im about to start reading all hail megatron. wish me luck...

@  RC85747 : (27 March 2017 - 03:56 PM)

Bow to the evil unicorn

@  RichardT1977 : (27 March 2017 - 03:55 PM)

The G1 film had multiple good songs.

@  Dracula : (27 March 2017 - 03:37 PM)

he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

@  Robowang : (27 March 2017 - 03:36 PM)

he's fat.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (27 March 2017 - 02:39 PM)

What do y'all think of Shrek?

@  Evac : (27 March 2017 - 01:51 PM)

Put down that chainsaw and listen to me! It's time for us to join in the fight!

@  Evac : (27 March 2017 - 01:51 PM)

At least the G1 film had one good song.

@  Boomhauer : (27 March 2017 - 01:27 PM)

I think I'd rather take neither, because ROTF being awful doesn't magically make the G1 Film stop being terrible.

@  Bass X0 : (27 March 2017 - 12:56 PM)

I'll take a children's movie where everyone talks like Wreck-Gar over a children's movie that has dog sex, masturbation, drugs, golden showers and enemy scrotum.

@  Rycochet : (27 March 2017 - 12:12 PM)

Oh-ee-yay! Talespin!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2017 - 10:09 AM)

Superman.....

@  Sabrblade : (27 March 2017 - 09:27 AM)

"I... am not... a gun."

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:42 PM)

Another great 90's animated film is, of course, The Iron Giant.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 03:25 PM)

Another thing I liked about The Prince of Egypt was that it explained (without even having to say it outright) why Moses was chosen to deliver the Israelites from Egypt. Someone who had been raised among the slaves would have had too much bitterness and would want to go in throwing the wrath of God on all the Egyptians (or at least the royal family) until they all burned alive. But Moses had been raised as a member of the royal family, so he still thought of them as family. He wanted to reach a peaceful solution if at all possible.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:04 PM)

"I know! I'll turn him into a flea. A harmless little flea, and then I'll put that flea in a box, and then put that box inside of another box, and when it arrives - AHAHAHA! I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMAH! It's brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT, I tell you! Genius, I say!"

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:03 PM)

Hell, The Emperor's New Groove is easily the funniest animated film ever. Disney managed to do what Dreamworks tried to do, and they did it right.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:02 PM)

None of their "funny" movies are anywhere near as funny as Aladdin or The Emperor's New Groove.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:02 PM)

Its a pity Dreamworks devolved into a company that churned out "funny" films filled with pop culture references.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 03:00 PM)

(also at the end of that scene, the camera pans up from the Egyptian skyline to the night sky and the most prominent constellation is Orion. Which the Egyptians associated with Osiris)

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 02:59 PM)

Yeah I give them full credit for treating the Last Plague with all the solemness it deserves.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:59 PM)

It freed the Israelites, but Moses sure hated seeing what it did to his brother and all the normal non-slave owning people who didn't do anything wrong to the Israelites.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:58 PM)

And it actually portrays God murdering children as a tragic thing, something most other adaptations disturbingly don't do.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 02:57 PM)

So that what He told Moses becomes, "I'll lay the smackdown on Egypt, but I should warn you it's only gonna make Rameses dig in his heels more until I have no choice but to break him fully."

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 02:56 PM)

It also describes the "hardening of the Pharoah's heart" as his natural reaction to the plagues rather than an intentional mental override by God.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:54 PM)

Hell, it actually portrays the Plagues as something that's bad and treats most of the Egyptian people as not deserving that shit. "All the innocent who suffer from your stubbornness and pride" and all that.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:53 PM)

I'm a Christian, but Prince of Egypt is one of the few religious movies I'll willingly watch, because it's actually good instead of being self-rightous preachy nonsense, batshit crazy propaganda or schmaltzy trash. It also has a great soundtrack with music that I actually put up there with some of Disney's best stuff.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:45 PM)

Dreamworks's best movies will always be the Dragons movies and The Prince of Egypt.

@  TM2-Megatron : (26 March 2017 - 02:40 PM)

Usually I'm willing to give animated films a go, but I have to agree this looked pretty terrible and I had no desire to see it

@  Patchouli Kn... : (26 March 2017 - 02:40 PM)

So it's the new "Bee Movie?"

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:16 PM)

Calling it now: it'll be a meme in ten years.

@  Paladin : (26 March 2017 - 02:07 PM)

every single person who said "yes" to BOSS BABY should be smacked. repeatedly. with adamantium.

@  MEDdMI : (26 March 2017 - 06:02 AM)

Yeah, I don't sync my Twitter since it's irrelevant to a TF forum and sometimes NSFW.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 March 2017 - 06:00 AM)

Ah, okay. I... don't know if that's a good idea or not. I post a lot of cats.

@  MEDdMI : (26 March 2017 - 05:50 AM)

I believe it will auto post anything you put on Twitter/Facebook to the Status section on the main forum page?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 March 2017 - 05:41 AM)

And I totally miss Krispy Kreme. I mean, they're still around here, but nowhere I don't have to go well out of my way for any more. =(

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 March 2017 - 05:40 AM)

"i think you can sync profiles from both to this site." Not clear on what that means.

@  MEDdMI : (26 March 2017 - 05:04 AM)

:D I'm glad I have people and sheep who are willing to eat doughnuts for me.

@  Bass X0 : (26 March 2017 - 04:48 AM)

YOU'RE ALREADY CRAZY, MR. "I AM SHRAPNEL, DECEPTICON HERO"!!

@  Waspinator : (26 March 2017 - 04:45 AM)

DON'T MIND IF I DO

@  WorkbenchManiac : (26 March 2017 - 04:07 AM)

Go crazy?

@  Waspinator : (26 March 2017 - 03:31 AM)

No TV and no beer make Homer something something

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 March 2017 - 02:18 AM)

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.

Photo

Comic Book Bits 'n' Pieces.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#61 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32940 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(Caboose! @ Sep 20 2010, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Esser-Z @ Sep 19 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Caboose! @ Sep 19 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BESIDES, let's all keep in mind the golden rule of comedy, yes?

TIMING!

Esser, the Golden Rule of Comedy is that no matter the joke, someone, somewhere, at sometime, will or would have found it funny.

IT WAS A JOKE

Yeah, the whole nakama thing pisses me off too. I believe the translators had a huge war back in 2000ish over it, classic example of nerds messing with something that should have just been left alone.

Nakama, many honorifics... there're a lot of things that can(and SHOULD) be translated.

Edited by Esser-Z, 20 September 2010 - 03:37 PM.

#62 2017

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 40542 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Wow, Archie is a dick. Does he always two-time like this?

PM me if you're bored!

#63 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 17937 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Man, the whole plot of Archie is that he can't decide between Betty and Veronica. icon-fire.gif

#64 Boltax

Boltax

Pap Pap! Kue Ray Yong Pap!

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

Relationships in general in Archie comics are... very fluid. I've discussed it before, but Archie comics are vignettes, not part of an ongoing cohesive continuity. This means that the characters will change to suit the story.

As a result I honestly can't think of a single teenaged Archie character who hasn't cheated or two-timed, and who wouldn't do so at the slightest opportunity. This includes the otherwise stable relationships like Ethel's obsession with Jughead, Betty's obsession with Archie, or even Midge and Moose or Chuck and Nancy. Show any of these people another pretty face and they will abandon their 'true love' in favour of gettin' some with someone else.

--Boltax.
(Riverdale is kind of a bleak place in that way... but at least the adults all have stable, seemingly loving relationships.)

#65 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 19389 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Boltax @ Sep 20 2010, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Relationships in general in Archie comics are... very fluid. I've discussed it before, but Archie comics are vignettes, not part of an ongoing cohesive continuity. This means that the characters will change to suit the story.

As a result I honestly can't think of a single teenaged Archie character who hasn't cheated or two-timed, and who wouldn't do so at the slightest opportunity. This includes the otherwise stable relationships like Ethel's obsession with Jughead, Betty's obsession with Archie, or even Midge and Moose or Chuck and Nancy. Show any of these people another pretty face and they will abandon their 'true love' in favour of gettin' some with someone else.

--Boltax.
(Riverdale is kind of a bleak place in that way... but at least the adults all have stable, seemingly loving relationships.)

The original plan called for it to be Archie / Veronica (wish fulfillment of the average teenage male to find a hot rich girl who's into him), with blue-collar Betty along to help provide balance. Unfortunately, a number of fans latched on to Betty as the better option for Archie, and so the early writers tried to throw them a bone or two; this resulted in even more people shipping Archie / Betty, thus setting up the present love triangle.

So really, the whole thing was a massive "oops!" on the part of the series creators.
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#66 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

Considering the character of Betty appeared BEFORE the character of Veronica... not an enormous amount of time before, but before... I'm not sure how true that reading of author intent is. Betty appeared in PEP #22, and Veronica in PEP #26 -- a good 4 months apart, at least. In fact, Archie and Betty shared their first ever appearance in PEP #22, in a story where Archie tries his darnedest to impress her.

Honestly, your entire theory sounds like malarkey to me... but I don't know what your source on that is.

Even if it's based on things the creators said at the time, I'd be hard pressed to believe that it's tremendously accurate.

--Boltax.
(I will admit I've never read any Archie stuff that old.)

Edited by Boltax, 20 September 2010 - 09:39 PM.

#67 2017

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 40542 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

You think that's iffy, once he stated that every male protagonist in Gundam Wing was gay because of the way they looked. You know, like every other 80-90s anime prettyboys ever.

Also, Boltax! I know you used to look at Aussie Kid rags like K-Zone and stuff, they must have lots of tepid comics too. I remember some really badly-drawn ones.

PM me if you're bored!

#68 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 19389 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(えーりん @ Sep 20 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You think that's iffy, once he stated that every male protagonist in Gundam Wing was gay because of the way they looked. You know, like every other 80-90s anime prettyboys ever.

That wasn't me; I actually noted that they each had girlfriends in some fashion by the time the series was over, even if some of the pairings were iffy (like Quatre / Dorothy or Wu Fei / Sally).

I do recall, however, commenting on the fact that there seems to be a lot of fangirls and confused newbies who think them to be gay.
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#69 2017

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 40542 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

Yes it was you, you've also stuffed up and/or spoiled tons of shows in huge write-ups for as long as I've been a member.

PM me if you're bored!

#70 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(えーりん @ Sep 20 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Boltax! I know you used to look at Aussie Kid rags like K-Zone and stuff, they must have lots of tepid comics too. I remember some really badly-drawn ones.

They almost never have any locally produced material. Mania, one of the main ones I read, used to publish 4 pages of Transformers every month -- but they stopped, without finishing the story they were publishing. There's basically no new content, it's all just reprints from Marvel, or Disney, or other companies.

--Boltax.

#71 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

Giles was a British political cartoonist. Enjoy:

The Westminster system doesn't have fixed terms of government. The government in power chooses when the election is cast. Thus:

HAHAH! RACIST:

And last, but not least... BATMAN!

--Boltax.

#72 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32940 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

...Wow, those are infinitely better than American political cartoons? Do you know why? Because they don't hugging LABEL everything!

#73 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

So I have some 'new' stuff to show you! I had a parcel arrive in the mail and in it were a bunch of old issues of The Beano. So awesome. I love the Beano so much. These are all from the 70s (except for one issue from the late 60s). I've scanned a bunch of stuff for you from one issue from 1971. So enjoy the samples from THE BEANO #1530!!

First off, a perennial favourite, Billy Whizz!

Uhhh... yeah... actually I think I may have found a potential candidate image for my next avatar.

There's also Dennis the Menace. Who isn't that menacing in this issue, actually.

The use of colour in these comics is really interesting. There's some 'full colour' pages, the front and back cover, and the middle spread. Then there's the black-and-white pages. Then there's the red toned pages. Like Little Plum story:

As well as absolute classics like Little Plum there's other strips that I was familiar with when I was a kid in the 80s, but which have long since been cancelled. Like this one:

Lord Snooty was one of the most popular Beano characters at one point, believe it or not. (Oh, and sorry about the middle spine of the comic getting into the scan.)

Not much to say about the Nibblers, honestly. They're just some mice. As well as these familiar strips I was excited to find a bunch of stuff I'd never seen before. Like this:

Or this lovely piece of stereotyping:

The fact that The Beano is a Scottish publication makes this all the funnier to me.

Finally there was the 'discovery' that the Beano used to have ADVENTURE strips as well as joke strips. I actually already knew this, but there's a real difference from knowing it academically and actually reading the friggin' things. I mean, I did not expect the high adventure of Billy the Cat and Katie.

I hope you enjoyed travelling with me into the Beano's past!
--Boltax.

#74 Mark Montag

Mark Montag

Mirrors are more fun than television.

• Supporter
  • 1633 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

Now then, fellah....

I have a little something, not a scan unfortunately. This is from a 2006 crossover between Batman and Detective Comics called "Face the Face" in which Harvey becomes Two Face again. I forget what issue as I no longer have them, but Harvey whips out his trusty coin and this is what we get.

#75 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

So I picked up "TMNT meet Archie" the other day. It's a wholy unremarkable book which, honestly, I don't think was intended to be called "TMNT meet Archie". The meeting between the two of them is just a single piece of an Annual which I'm guessing was retitled after the success of Archie vs. the Punisher.

But that's just me guessing.

Anyway, the most interesting thing I found in the entire book was the letters page. Enjoy:

--Boltax.