Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM)

It's a good deal if you want a full set of Refraktor (and if they have them at your location)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

Photo

Botcon 2010 SUCKED!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
261 replies to this topic

#241 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(Fenix Twilight @ Aug 24 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, hearing someone actually say "Bayformers" is totally different that reading it on a forum, that is to say it sounds incredible stupid

It's always been stupid.

#242 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE(Shanghai @ Aug 24 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fenix Twilight @ Aug 24 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, hearing someone actually say "Bayformers" is totally different that reading it on a forum, that is to say it sounds incredible stupid

It's always been stupid.

All of those "insert another word into a name to express distaste" nicknames are stupid. I wish people could hear them out loud more often.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#243 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 5242 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Well yeah I agree.

But hearing it spoken was just doubly stupid.

#244 Suspsy

Suspsy

This Title Section Needs To Be Longer

• Citizen
  • 4031 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Tom Croom's self-denial, cowardice, and flat-out stupidity slide even further off the scale. I love how the best response he can muster is, "Come to my panel in 2011 and then you'll see that I'm right and you're wrong."

http://www.tomcroom....p=6715#comments

Edited by Suspsy, 26 August 2010 - 11:27 AM.

If You Even Dream Of Beating Me, You'd Better Wake Up And Apologise.

#245 Daytonus

Daytonus

Full Circle

• Retired Staff
  • 11971 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

Don't get me wrong, you're totally entertaining me and you're totally right, but isn't it time to just ignore them? I'd quickly get frustrated if I were you.

#246 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9219 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

These two douchebags are going to defend their dumb little panel to the bitter end. May as well just leave them be.

#247 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the entire thing absolutely ended when Pete outright won with:
Wait a second Tom. Are you saying for people to fully understand and appreciate your panel they actually have to see the WHOLE panel in PERSON?!? That’s just CRAZY talk…

Next you’ll be saying that to fully appreciate BotCon you have to see the WHOLE show in PERSON. Oh, wait a second. That’s what I said…

Well, I am glad you finally have realized that to get the full experience of something you have to judge it by its whole and not just by its parts.

Edited by Galenraff, 26 August 2010 - 12:25 PM.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#248 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16873 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

I'd say it ended when Tom said outright that he would never give BotCon a good review due to the importance of validating his initial bad one:
Next year, we?re considering spending some crazy money for the top level ticket experience to see if the event is any better.
If it is? Then we were right in our analysis that those who spend the big money get the real show (as opposed to the off the street Joes.)
If it isn?t? Then we?re still right? because then the entire show is a failure as far as fan convention standards are concerned.

A picture-perfect glimpse at pathological ego-driven vindictiveness. One could just as well read a whale-watch cruise review by Ahab.

An attitude like that would probably be quite threatening to the organizer of a Tallahassee TotoroCon, which likely could not survive controversial "press" in the podunk circuit. Hence the business model for Wasabi Anime's mafiosi shakedown tactics. In this case Croom picked a target that is too big, too established, and too mobile to bully, and what has happened since is basically the part in "A Christmas Story" where that yellow-eyed punk finally gets his beatdown.

Edited by Thylacine2000, 26 August 2010 - 12:34 PM.

#249 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:49 AM

Always a nice feeling when something like that happens, yeah. Bully finally gets out of his league, gets smacked down.

#250 Suspsy

Suspsy

This Title Section Needs To Be Longer

• Citizen
  • 4031 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(Thylacine2000 @ Aug 26 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A picture-perfect glimpse at pathological ego-driven vindictiveness. One could just as well read a whale-watch cruise review by Ahab.

An attitude like that would probably be quite threatening to the organizer of a Tallahassee TotoroCon, which likely could not survive controversial "press" in the podunk circuit. Hence the business model for Wasabi Anime's mafiosi shakedown tactics. In this case Croom picked a target that is too big, too established, and too mobile to bully, and what has happened since is basically the part in "A Christmas Story" where that yellow-eyed punk finally gets his beatdown.

I was not entirely sure what you were talking about until I checked Shortpacked and read this:

A little History Lesson?

Wasabi Anime was created back in 2001. At a TINY convention called Anime Express, they offered a ?free? breakfast to everyone at the con. Since most people slept IN THE VIDEO ROOMS at this con, a free breakfast was wonderful! Except it wasn?t free. It was a cult initiation. Basically, if you joined their ?club? or started subsidiary clubs and sent him dues, you would get discounts at anime stores (Not sure if anyone did) and other ?benefits?.

Wasabi started ?helping out? at conventions. Since he had a group of friends/followers/toadies he could promise a con X amount of help (volunteers, running video rooms, etc) in exchange for some passes and panel time. Eventually his control grew and grew.

His core group of followers became like the SS. You couldn?t diss Tom without them going for your throat. And if a convention didn?t want Tom?s help, well, Wasabi would find some kind of problem with the con and start a boycott. Or they would just smear the people running it.

If Wasabi/Tom was part of your con and you spoke against him, well then he?d threaten to take away his volunteers? and since most of the volunteers were his, he could effectively shut down a con.

If any of his followers tried to leave Wasabi, they might as well become lepers. Friends who were in Wasabi and tried to leave were told they could not volunteer at a con if they quit. Basically, they were blacklisted.

At one convention, the rules stated you had to be in the room by the start time to be in the cosplay convention. For ?some reason? the start time was delayed for a half an hour? at which time Tom returned from the store and the contest began. He wasn?t disqualified? in fact he ?won? an award.

He destroyed the reputation of a con photographer who used to show proof that Wasabi?s ?Animusicals? weren?t filled to capacity as Tom claimed.

His group attends every con both large and small? EXCEPT those who refuse his help. He calls one of the biggest conventions that is Sci-Fi/Anime a ?flea market? con because of the large dealer?s room. Yet another con that is smaller and similar is considered wonderful? since he has panels at it. Some tiny cons are promoted if he?s involved, but others that refuse his help are maligned.

Don?t even get me started on his wife?s cosplay group (the girls of Wasabi Anime) who won best of show for dressing up as the girls in the Fanta commercial? AT AN ANIME CONVENTION with the reasoning that Fanta is sold in Japan (even though the commercial was American).

It's a shame he can't be arrested for failure to be a human being.

http://www.shortpack...ation/#comments
If You Even Dream Of Beating Me, You'd Better Wake Up And Apologise.

#251 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9219 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

So he runs a Nerd Mafia? That's kind of funny.

#252 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

Seriously. It's just a damn convention.

PM me if you're bored!

#253 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

Not to Croom it ain't.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#254 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2416 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

Now I want Botcon to be in Flordia more often just because its something he can't control.

did they try and pull this junk with the Star Wars Celebration?
"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#255 (Deactivated) X-BoB58

(Deactivated) X-BoB58
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:35 AM

It sounds to me like these guys deserve lifetime free tickets to Botcon.

#256 xZAOx

xZAOx

ALL HAIL GALVACRON

• Citizen
  • 5495 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(X-BoB58 @ Aug 30 2010, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds to me like these guys deserve lifetime free tickets to Botcon.

Why reward people for being ignorant asshats? ....wait, are you a lawyer or something?!

They should reward them with free tickets every year, but the tickets say "use special entrance", and the special entrance leads them to a room that locks them in, and shows Beast Wars constantly.

#257 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 5931 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE(Suspsy @ Aug 27 2010, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was not entirely sure what you were talking about until I checked Shortpacked and read this:

whoa.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#258 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

Anyone who refers to himself like this: 'We even elevated our geek status last year as Transformers Super Fans'

= an instant roll of the eyes and ignore from me.

'Transformers super fans'. Seriously?

How can you type/say that about YOURSELF with a straight face?

#259 Dissever

Dissever

WHOO WHOO Spring!

• Validating
  • 4843 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(DropCAT @ Aug 30 2010, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone who refers to himself like this: 'We even elevated our geek status last year as Transformers Super Fans'

= an instant roll of the eyes and ignore from me.

'Transformers super fans'. Seriously?

How can you type/say that about YOURSELF with a straight face?

Botox.

********************************* ->?<- *********************************
I DO ART (SOMETIMES!!) Transformers and dragons, oh my! http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com
********************************* ->?<- *********************************

#260 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2296 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

Wow. I tried watching some of those videos. They are about a million times worse than I could have comprehended. Why do a Transformers panel if you get just about every 'fact' in it completely wrong?