Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

@  Nevermore : (07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Wishful thinking, rumor or leak?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Snapdragon for Earthrise.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 December 2019 - 10:22 PM)

Still not the weirdest thing a Nic Cage character has done in a film

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 04:00 PM)

Couldn't be worse than him pissing fire as Ghost Rider.

@  Rycochet : (04 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

The Tim Burton Superman Movie is the DC movie we deserve. It would have Nic Cage in a technosuit punching polarbears.

@  Paladin : (04 December 2019 - 02:59 PM)

Wonder Woman was great. Shazam was amazing. Aquaman... exists.

@  RichardT1977 : (04 December 2019 - 01:54 PM)

TBF, Aquaman and Shazam! were pretty good.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Not a difficult feat.

@  Benbot : (04 December 2019 - 11:50 AM)

You just put more effort into telling a compelling story than all of WB's execs.

@  Cybersnark : (04 December 2019 - 11:41 AM)

Cue the flashback to Jonathan, reassuring a terrified child: "What you are is never as important as who you are." Cue Superman's response to Brainiac: "I already know who I am."*John Williams fanfare plays*

Photo

Amazing Spider-Man Discussion: Peter Parker is the new Tony Stark!

spider-man superior amazing peter parker otto octavius spider-man 2099 miguel ohara

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1508 replies to this topic

#41 (Deactivated) Anon

(Deactivated) Anon
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

Like I said on the 2005 board Marvel finally shot themselves in the foot with this because Parker was a good character but they had to give him crappy stories and recons.

#42 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15456 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Jul 4 2010, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
okay this is the single dumbest thing I've heard come out of marvel since they gave Joe another promotion.

unless its 2099, there's only one Spider-man and his name is Peter Parker.

STOP hugging WITH THE FLAGSHIP DUMBASSES!

what's next Professor X getting hair plugs?

if nobody is getting hugged with, where's the conflict? the pretense of potential shifting that gives meaning to adventures? The personal ramifications of adventures and sturggle?

It's a dynamic universe.
Woooo!

#43 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46593 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

That gets reset every couple of years.

#44 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22354 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:39 AM

HUEG NEWS

Brand New Day might end with the format!

http://www.bleedingc...spider-man-647/

Spidey 647 has pretty much everyone. Then going twice-monthly with Slott at the helm.

Could it be?

I wonder...maybe the new Spidey might give MJ and Peter a chance to retire for awhile, a-la Ben Reilly's first months as Spidey.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 11 July 2010 - 01:42 AM.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#45 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43919 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

Wow. HUG NEWS INDEED.

But the main problem is that they won't let their characters move out of the status quo. Villians and supporting cast may change but the main character will always be a stereotype of what the main character ought to be. Before Civil War, I thought the Spiderman series was progressing quite nicely; still rooted in status quo but it was Peter and MJ living their life. Then Marvel went and screwed that up by having Peter joining the Avengers and writing One More Day then Brand New Day.

If characters aren't allowed to grow older and experiences the things that can only come by being older, then of course stories are going to stagnate. Look at The Simpsons. I'd love a new era of The Simpsons with everyone clearly five years older with Maggie being the kid appeal character with Bart and Lisa being teenagers. Doesn't need to be drastic like putting them two decades older like their "what if" future stories tend to do.

As for Spiderman, I don't think a new Spiderman that isn't Peter will work. It'll just fall into the "they changed it so now it sucks" trope and readers will just bitch or drop the title until Peter comes back to be the sole Spiderman.

Edited by Bass X0, 11 July 2010 - 05:05 AM.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#46 Rodimal

Rodimal

To strive, to seek, to find, and NOT to Yield...

• Citizen
  • 1067 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

As much as I hate to say it, the only way this will work is if (One:) They fix it so that Brand New Day never happened. Then (2:) Bring back Ben to be Spidey.

card-hotrod.jpg

Look Up!

#47 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46593 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

Watch Brand New Day comes to an end and just as Peter and MJ are poised to get back together...BAM! Here comes Gwen Stacey!

Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't dragged her out of mothballs yet. That's discounting the story that turned her into a slut that nailed Norman Osborn while still dating Peter, of course.

#48 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18702 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE(Internet Jesus @ Jul 2 2010, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=26965

"For the couple of months coming out of "One Moment in Time," we're going to be bringing a lot of threads of Peter's life that we've been developing since we started working on the book into one big story, 'Origin of the Species.' It sort of gives Pete a moment to assess all the stuff that's happened to him for the last 100 or so issues. Beyond that, we've already started talking about the fact that it might be time for a new, or at least better, Spider-Man. I feel like we've done as much as we can do in terms of Peter Parker's time as Spider-Man."

WTF is this crap? I thought the entire reason they did this was because there was MORE they could do with Peter, not trickle his time out after turning him into a complete douchewasher.

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 2 2010, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's spelled Reilly, guys.

Really?

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Jul 4 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so yeah, continue the adventures of a married peter and MJ dealing with the loss of the baby and the death of aunt may, and the newspaper industry, and the fall out of revealing who he is...

I know for a fact I'd start reading again.

also Bring back Exiles

This. All of it.

QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Jul 11 2010, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the main problem is that they won't let their characters move out of the status quo. Villians and supporting cast may change but the main character will always be a stereotype of what the main character ought to be.

Agreed.

Before Civil War, I thought the Spiderman series was progressing quite nicely; still rooted in status quo but it was Peter and MJ living their life. Then Marvel went and screwed that up by having Peter joining the Avengers and writing One More Day then Brand New Day.

Well, I liked him joining the Avengers. Before New Avengers, the team never really struck me as Marvel's biggest and best, and that's just something that a tag like "Earth's Mightiest Heroes!" seems to imply.

It's when things became one mega-event after another after another that Spider-man seemed to come undone in the middle of it all.

But between joining the New Avengers and all that? I loved it. It felt like some actual change.

I'm also pro-new powers Spider-man and Iron Spider-man, too.

If characters aren't allowed to grow older and experiences the things that can only come by being older, then of course stories are going to stagnate. Look at The Simpsons. I'd love a new era of The Simpsons with everyone clearly five years older with Maggie being the kid appeal character with Bart and Lisa being teenagers. Doesn't need to be drastic like putting them two decades older like their "what if" future stories tend to do.

I've wanted that ever since the "Lisa Gets Married" ep. Even minor stuff like Bart getting an earring seemed to spice things up a little, but that stuff sadly never stuck.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#49 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22354 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE(Rodimal @ Jul 11 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As much as I hate to say it, the only way this will work is if (One:) They fix it so that Brand New Day never happened. Then (2:) Bring back Ben to be Spidey.

Well, I had a perfect way to end BND but they went ahead and killed Kaine in the last issue so there it went.

Though it could work with a returned Ben Reilly.

With Ben returning with a four-year old girl named May. This triggers a flood of memories for both MJ and Peter, breaking the spell and Spidey and the Avengers fighting Mephisto to get his and MJ's love back. But this results in Aunt May's death, so Pete and MJ retire and Ben takes the mantle yet again.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#50 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52065 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:57 AM

With Ben returning with a four-year old girl named May. This triggers a flood of memories for both MJ and Peter, breaking the spell and Spidey and the Avengers fighting Mephisto to get his and MJ's love back. But this results in Aunt May's death, so Pete and MJ retire and Ben takes the mantle yet again.

That would be acceptable.

But I'd tweak it so Peter stays with the Avengers so MJ and May can have that extra safety/security and Ben can be normal/street level Spiderman.

They would only team up to annoy JJJ.

card-strongarm.jpg

#51 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Jul 12 2010, 04:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They would only team up to annoy JJJ.

<Ben> "Hey, Peter. Put on the Spidey costume and be at the 23rd St/5th Ave intersection in 20 minutes."

<Peter> "Ugh... Why? You just woke me up."

<Ben> "Trust me. The look on JJJ's face will be priceless."

<Peter> "I'll be there in ten."

#52 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.

• Supporter
  • 5287 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Rodimal @ Jul 11 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love this! Or something similar. Anything that undoes the OMD/BND debacle and has Peter and MJ actually FIGHTING for thier love rather than giving up on it.

And I have no problem with Aunt May dying. I have no hate for the old broad, but one of the facts of life is that old people die, and the rest of us just have to mourn their passing and move on with our lives.

I wouldn't want to see Pete "retire" as Spidey though. Maybe have him ask Ben to take his place while he mourns for Aunt May.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#53 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18702 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

The last four posts outdo anything I've seen so far in BND.

That said, should Aunt May remember/know what happened, too? I've never thought she would approve of what Peter and MJ did so that she could live; it might help set things a little more "right."

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#54 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:06 AM

I'd be up for that suggestion posted above...following a Spider-Man that's not Peter Parker could be interesting but will probably be unacceptable for most long time fans like myself. I've been reading BND in trade format as my library has got them in and enjoying some of it but as I've stated before I don't see how Peter and MJ (the main reason for BND in the first place) being married could have changed the stories (except for the stuff with Carlie and Felicia and turning Peter into a douche). I've not bought a Spider-Man comic since the Sins Past storyline. Also it's funny a poster brought up Gwen Stacy returning. Apparently there had been conversations about bringing her back along with Harry in the early going as they were planning BND. We'll see where things progress. I'm excited for Comic Con though...it's one of my favorite weekends of the year.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#55 J0HN

J0HN
  • Citizen
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:15 AM

Also it's funny a poster brought up Gwen Stacy returning. Apparently there had been conversations about bringing her back along with Harry in the early going as they were planning BND.

This is true. Originally BND was going to be a more basic 'reset' button that resulted in Gwen's return. I think the GwenxNorman thing was supposed to be retconned too.

http://forum.newsara...ad.php?t=141756

#56 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14609 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

In my opinion there aren't enough Legacy-type characters in the Marvel-U.
Yep.

#57 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

• Supporter
  • 5287 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE(LBD @ Jul 13 2010, 01:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That said, should Aunt May remember/know what happened, too? I've never thought she would approve of what Peter and MJ did so that she could live; it might help set things a little more "right."

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I agree 1,000,000%!

I think Aunt May would be appalled at the thought that Peter and MJ chose to erase what they had together just to save her life. I think she'd be one of the first people to tell them to let her go.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#58 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46593 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

Indeed.

Aunt May is a fine character, but she's far outlived any sort of relevance to the character of Spider-Man. I don't see why the Marvel Execs have such a hard time letting her go. Now admittedly, being shot by an assassin's bullet is a little extreme.

I'd rather just one day to discover she'd quietly passed in her sleep.

#59 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

• Supporter
  • 5287 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

Agreed.

Marvel seems to be much more attached to Aunt May than the fans are.

I just had an interesting thought; what if when they undo OMD/BND instead of having May die from the assassin's bullet, we just have a beautiful scene of her simply moving on to the afterlife, with Ben waiting for her. And when she joins him they both become "young" again (some say that we're all 30-ish in heaven), and have Ben tell Peter that he's proud of him and all he's done, and that he needn't feel guilty about his death anymore, and May says that she's happy now and that she want's Peter and MJ to go on with their lives, be happy, and think about them every now and then.
Then the light of heaven envelops them and they're gone.

#60 Magnus

Magnus

Board

• Supporter
  • 7755 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

The common reply that's given to the complaint of "no character progression" is that we're being egotistical in thinking that Peter/Clark/whoever should age with us. What about the new generation of readers who want to get in on the bandwagon?

Of course, I find that reply to be bulljive and offensive, but that's the excuse they give for never deviating from the status quo. The real reason obviously is the financial aspect of it. They have way too much in merchandising and vague pop culture awareness invested in these characters to ever approve of drastic changes. Spiderman will always be a nerd bitten by a radioactive spider. Batman will always be created when Bruce Wayne's parents were shot, and Superman will always be the last son of Krypton rocketed to Earth.

It's for this reason that I was so excited by the Ultimate/All-Star lines - I thought they could be gateway books for new readers to introduce the classic, archetypal characters while the regular lines would be devoted to the existing fans and offer radical changes to the status quo. This never happened though. Meh.

Anyway, i'm happy that sales of BND have been tanking, since it was one of the most offensive things i've ever seen in a comic book (haven't touched a spidey book since the end of OMD). We'll see what new stupidity they come up with.