Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 July 2019 - 04:42 PM)

For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little bank account....

@  Bass X0 : (23 July 2019 - 03:50 PM)

No... I accept your cookies! I... ACCEPT.. THEM...

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 July 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I don't think that's the case in Canada. Bank account debits from outside parties need to be pre-authorized at your branch or via online banking.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 10:04 AM)

That does sound like fun.

@  Dekafox : (23 July 2019 - 09:35 AM)

Fun note: in the US(at least), by default if someone has your routing number and account number off a check, they can pull as much money out as they want with nothing you can do about it until after the fact.

@  Paladin : (23 July 2019 - 07:23 AM)

anything burns if it gets hot enough.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 07:12 AM)

That's why you should keep your under-the-bed money in gold and silver--that won't burn!

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Photo
- - - - -

Genesis Climber Moespeada or Super Dimension Fortress Macross

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

So I was in the DVD shop yesterday and found Macross and Moespeada on the shelf, subbed and remastered, for a really cheap sale price. I figure I can afford one or the other.

So I was wondering, which is the better in areas of plot, animation quality, writing, etc.

I'm also concerned about happy endings. I may be a huge sap, but I love it when things turn out okay for at least some characters in the end. But if you can make a case for it being good anyway I'll overlook it.

So yeah, just comments on either series. I haven't seen much of Robotech, but I'm more thinking on these versions.

PM me if you're bored!

#2 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

The original Macross is just as QUALITY as Robotech, no amount of remastering could POSSIBLY fix that.
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#3 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 18021 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

The original Macross is awesome. Quality is hit and miss a bit, but it's still a great show. Never seen a lick of Mospeda, though.

UnHImyv.png

#4 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 14396 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(EvilEyeSigma @ Apr 8 2010, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The original Macross is just as QUALITY as Robotech, no amount of remastering could POSSIBLY fix that.

Yeah, no amount of remastering would fix this:

"Whether it's directly or not, you prey on others to live. That reality never changes. And it's the same for everyone here."

#5 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34230 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

I like Mospeada a lot better.

#6 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:23 AM

QUOTE(Axaday @ Apr 9 2010, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Mospeada a lot better.

Uh. Any reasons why?

PM me if you're bored!

#7 Skids

Skids

Get your quest on.

• Supporter
  • 2055 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

My comparions on this two series is base off the complete Robotech version of them since I only seen two Macross episode but from what I read on wikis. The edit and changing of plot. WAsn't heavily. Just enough to work with the Robotech storyline.

ANIMATION

Animation wise their both the same in quality and style. Their both good for the time and I think age decently.

PLOT

-With Macross. Its soap opera in space with Transforming Mecha. You get a lot of character devolpment with the main cast. Espically with the characters relationships and the War bewteen Earth and the Zentradi. The overall Story arc thou is Earth finds a giant spaceship, Macross, and rebuilds it for Earth. The enemies of the Macross, the Zentradi, show up to make sure their enemeis have been defeated. They find Earthlings instead and begin a conflict of were they try to capture the Macross ship and its people. Since depending on what they discover about the earthlings on the ship. Without giving spoilers determines how the Zentradi and Earth would interact. So you get alot of culture shock with the characters as they too sides fight each other and try learn more about each other. With the Main Character plot being how this effects Rick Hunter as he grows and develop as a person in this war.

-With Mospedia. Its characters trying to bring change in impossible situation without giving up hope. Basic plot is you have alien race, Invid, conquer and rule Earth. With humans survivors being treated as slaves and being sub par in comparison with the Invid. The purposes of why the Invid conquer Earth gets reveal as the story goes. For humanity, they have colonies elsewere in the solar system. Where the colonies are trying to free Earth from Invid. With the main story focusing on one of the colony solider, Scott Bernard. Who survied a fail attack on the Invid and is trying to regroup with the main attack force to strike at the Invid man base called Reflex point. Where he joins up with a uniques group of indivuals. Where they fight a gorilla war to get to reflix point and shows. With the story showing how the world and its people been effect by this.

So both have decent plot and writing. Its basiclly what ya think would sound better. Since their both good stories.
You mention this with the Endings thou. While Each show does have a happy ending. In which I think the two shows ending were more Happier then their Robotech counterparts. So you should be ok their. The more sadder stuff is from the story arc itself. Where each show has some serious OMGosh that is depressing stuff. From when I watch them. I found Robotech version of Mospedia to be the worse of the two.

OVERALL

You should be ok with either show. I would favored Macross more because if ya like the story and want more. Macross has movie sequel and the content. While with Mospedia you will have to go with Robotech's Shaodw Chronicles if ya wanted more of that.

kbucmu.jpg

#8 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12896 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

Macross, because it mixes in humor and it has a huge legacy. But stop watching after they win the war. Everything afterward is poorly animated filler. I remember liking the robotech version of mospeada when I first saw it but I couldn't sit through it years later.

Sign up at ToyStoreUpdates.com to get email updates when new Transformers come into stock at Toys R Us, Target, Walmart, and Hasbro Toy Shop.

#9 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9236 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

There's no comparison. Mospaeda is terminally dull "adventure town" storytelling, as the characters wander from quirky setting to quirky setting, wading through stock "corruption in small town" and "oppressed villagers re-learn the will to fight" stories. The bulk of the series just serves to take up time between the start and the goal they're heading towards for the final episode. It could've been over in 6 if they needed it to be. Just when it looks like they're splitting up the ground and giving the status quo a kick up the arse at just the right moment... oh, oh, wait, no, everyone's back! Nothing happens, and then it's over. Macross is fantastic space opera that is leagues ahead of Mospaeda. The most interesting stuff in Mospaeda is the Flower of Life legacy world-building stuff Robotech adds into it.

EDIT: Well, no, okay, I'll tell you what Mospaeda does have, actually - a GREAT start. If you've watched the other bits of Robotech, you go into this third and final one, and you're immediately introduced to what SEEMS to be the new cast. The hero, his girl, the big lug, the comedy doof and his straight man, their crusty general... and then they all die in the first five minutes of the first episode!! Really subverts your expectations. Just goes nowhere after that.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 09 April 2010 - 08:06 PM.

#10 Destron D-69

Destron D-69
  • Supporter
  • 61648 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:21 AM

yeah... Macross all the way... as much as I love the Alpha and beta fighters ... the VFs are loads better.

oh wait you wanted story stuff.

In GCM, you're dealing with a dude who's had all the worst things you could think of happen to him ..and then he has to go and save a world he's never lived on. (unless that's one of the robotech changes) ... so its understandably mopey in parts, and there's also a cross-dresser.

in SDFM, you're dealing with a dude who has all the worst things you could think of About to happen to him... and then he has to go and prevent Armageddon. ...so its understandably mopey in parts, and then there's also Minmay.

icon-fire.gif

#11 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 18021 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

Minmay is not that big a deal. If you could put up with Quess for all of her screentime in Char's Counterattack, Minmay's a friggin' piece of cake. icon-waspy.gif Plus, she gets character growth.

UnHImyv.png

#12 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:08 AM

Hmm.

How good/bad/plot-important is this crossdressing?

PM me if you're bored!

#13 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 9236 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(S-Stop! Thief! @ Apr 10 2010, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm.

How good/bad/plot-important is this crossdressing?

It's the guy's cover, pretending to be a female singer. It's the twist ending of the episode in which they introduce the character (OMG IT WAS A DUDE), but it was hardly surprising if you watched it in Robotech; it's not that it wasn't convincingly-drawn, it's that "she" was voiced by Cam Clarke! It's not really much of a thing after that - occasionally, they use his fame and female alter-ego to sneak into places. But at the same time, it's not comedy cross-dressing, the dude apparently makes a very convincing lay-dee.

Loooonleyyy soooooldierrr boyyy....

Edited by Chris McFeely, 10 April 2010 - 07:22 AM.

#14 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

Wait, the main protagonist?!

PM me if you're bored!

#15 Destron D-69

Destron D-69
  • Supporter
  • 61648 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

no one of his new buddies

http://img75.imagesh.../lancer13ch.jpg

I like the song 'lonely soldier boy' - it really fits well with Scott's story ark...

Edited by Destron D-69, 10 April 2010 - 07:50 AM.

#16 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:48 AM

Gay.

I'm leaning towards Macross though.

PM me if you're bored!

#17 Destron D-69

Destron D-69
  • Supporter
  • 61648 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

actually no, he likes ladies

WOOO VALKYRIES

Edited by Destron D-69, 10 April 2010 - 07:51 AM.

#18 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65142 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

Macross all the way.

Both are good series but Macross is a defining anime series, and not just a good anime series but a great anime series. Also there is a huge difference in the level of quality between Robotech: The Macross Saga and Super Dimensional Fortress Macross.

Minmei is annoying in Robotech, but Minmay in Macross is a great character with a lot of growth.

The clip in one of the above posts is among one of the most notoriously badly animated scenes in the series, but for every poorly animated episode you have one with really nice animation (for the time).

In Macross you really feel for Hikaru, Minmay, and Misa (and even the secondary characters). Also, I don't feel the episodes following the end of the war are bad, but really go on to develop the relationship between the 3 main protagonists.

If there is one series I could recommend to someone it's SDF Macross. People just have to remember it was made in 1982, and while it's got some good animation, there are those that are animated poorly (but such is the case with any show from that time period).

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#19 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65142 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

SDF Macross is my favorite anime series by the way.

ACItEK8.png

#20 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 9236 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

It really is stonkingly good, even in Robotech form.