Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (13 November 2018 - 10:28 AM)

yes.

@  Pennpenn : (13 November 2018 - 07:48 AM)

Is that nightmare fuel for wanking or nightmare fuel that is- actually you know what never mind.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2018 - 05:07 AM)

This is the Internet. Everything produces wanking nightmare fuel.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 November 2018 - 01:52 AM)

Yet both have produced wanking nightmare fuel. (Rule 34 is a harsh mistress)

@  fourteenwings : (12 November 2018 - 11:41 PM)

I don't know if "magic animals" and "mecha" abide by the same design principals.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (12 November 2018 - 09:20 PM)

PS4 controllers are crap. x.x;

@  Paladin : (12 November 2018 - 08:16 PM)

it took me way too long to realize that didn't actually say "wanking nightmare fuel."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (12 November 2018 - 08:14 PM)

I'm quite sure that directors don't make the designs because that would be ludicrous amount of work for a single person.

@  Noideaforaname : (12 November 2018 - 05:35 PM)

I guess "walking nightmare fuel" is an improvement...

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2018 - 04:12 PM)

It’s something when the new Pokemon movie is completely accurate to the original source character designs than the Transformers movies. Michael Bay would have created hyper stylised redesigns of Pokemon and many completely new designs if he was doing it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 November 2018 - 01:54 PM)

RIP Stan Lee.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (12 November 2018 - 04:25 AM)

Ehh.. Except for a couple of people, the video game section isn't that bad.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2018 - 08:27 PM)

It feels like this hasn't been said enough: anybody who cares what people at TFW does would surely just check there themselves.

@  Gryllid : (11 November 2018 - 06:50 PM)

And with the Seinfeld/Cyberverse names, the genders matched up, and some of them seem fitting enough ("Peterman" for a leader figure prone to dramatic pronouncements; "Puddy" for a big, strong, gruff guy, etc.)

@  Gryllid : (11 November 2018 - 06:46 PM)

Well, the codenames aren't completely random. Shatter and Dropkick were "Red Light" and "Blue Light", weren't they? Referencing their colors.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 November 2018 - 09:05 AM)

I'm sure the Hasbro logistics guy in charge of assigning the code names would be amused too, if he knew what TFW2005 was.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2018 - 01:30 AM)

Yup. TFW2005.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2018 - 02:57 PM)

Even though we have seen time and again that those names are just randomly applied names from whatever "theme" Hasbro has chosen for the respective line, with no intentional relation between code name and character.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2018 - 02:57 PM)

I love how folks on TFW2005 still assume the code names for toys from new toylines are mystery games Hasbro has created for the fans, and thus are trying to interpret a meaning into those names to guess the character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 07:56 PM)

I haven't watched many eps yet... Mainly cause I've gotten where I just wait till seasons end and watch the whole thing.

@  RichardT1977 : (09 November 2018 - 07:23 PM)

I presume he's going to feature heavily in episode 15

@  RichardT1977 : (09 November 2018 - 07:20 PM)

And like I said in one of the discussion threads, his voice reminds me of the English dub of Alexander Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 07:20 PM)

Ahh, I ment shown up as a Main character yet, but I wasn't specific. :D

@  RichardT1977 : (09 November 2018 - 07:19 PM)

He showed up in "Maccadam's", and has at least been heard in a few other prior episodes.

@  abates : (09 November 2018 - 07:06 PM)

Yeah, he's shown up a couple of times.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 07:01 PM)

I ment in the show.

@  Nevermore : (09 November 2018 - 06:38 PM)

Which one?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 05:31 PM)

Has Cyberverse Grim even showed up yet?

@  Paladin : (09 November 2018 - 05:26 PM)

now that it's out in the open, can I just say NuRID Grimlock is the most interesting version of the character in TWENTY YEARS?

@  Foffy : (09 November 2018 - 05:08 PM)

grimlock eats sloppily at olive garden (ASMR)

@  abates : (09 November 2018 - 05:07 PM)

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

It could have fit perfectly in Robots in Disguise too. Just have Grimlock waving a pool noodle around and give the line to Drift.

Underquoted Transformers: The Movie quotes: "Grimlock, get your noodle out of my face."

@  RichardT1977 : (09 November 2018 - 04:58 PM)

Yeah, IIRC Wilbur was a spring pig.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 01:48 PM)

I read that as "First sow of the season" and I was about to say that I wasn't aware pigs were typically born in the winter.

@  Paladin : (09 November 2018 - 08:59 AM)

ugh. first snow of the season...

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2018 - 08:22 AM)

Shield agent, that's just nuts...

@  Pennpenn : (09 November 2018 - 03:56 AM)

Though there are rumours he's secretly a Pine.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 November 2018 - 01:15 AM)

Idea: in a universe wherein plant alt-modes are common, Maccadam transforms into a macadamia tree.

@  Waspinator : (08 November 2018 - 08:51 PM)

That apparently gets you the help you want. https://www.schlockm....com/2010-04-14

@  wonko the sane? : (08 November 2018 - 07:01 PM)

Eh, just conference call it to the suicide hotline AI.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2018 - 05:00 PM)

Soon we'll have AI making the calls.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2018 - 04:04 PM)

Sure, but you can't try to counter-troll them and see if you can annoy them into giving up first.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 November 2018 - 03:29 PM)

Robots are cheaper, and don't have mental break downs when people swear at them. Considering how many call centers these days are scams: it's not hard to see why folks don't want to work in them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2018 - 03:25 PM)

I miss getting real people for spam calls instead of bots. The bots are no fun.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 November 2018 - 03:24 PM)

I like the robot from "the visa mastercard rewards center". It feels so cathartic to slam the phone on it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (08 November 2018 - 02:57 PM)

A lot of our phone scams up here come from India, pretending to be Revenue Canada. I think they mostly target recent immigrants who aren't familiar with the system, but they've gotten lots of clueless seniors, too.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2018 - 02:52 PM)

I like the ones that fake the caller ID so it looks like your own number is calling you.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (08 November 2018 - 02:46 PM)

U.S. phone spam is getting ridiculous. I got calls from New York and California in the same hour today.

@  Paladin : (08 November 2018 - 01:06 PM)

then they really should install bigger urinals.

Photo

Transformerscon Alvarez Panel Summary

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 41539 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

Alvarez TransformersCon Panel Summary:

Landquake is currently shipping en masse from the factory overseas, and is likely sitting on the barge in the Pacific as you read this (maybe). Still unsure as to the turnaround on their arrival at FP headquarters, sorting and repackaging for shipping within the US, and arrival at our eager doorsteps. Landquake himself was onhand, residing in a very secure looking glass case beside Skyfall. The two look amazing together, though the hues on the red and blue are slightly different. Landquake has an amazing off-white pealesence paint color that looks incredible. Rik stressed that the final combiner will not be Alpha Trion, despite online rumors. Please remember, that any images you see of Landquake from the panel are of the prototype.

Rik confirmed that the Botcon exclusive this year will feature the Dawn of Future Past theme and include Optimus Primal, Rhinox, Rattrap, Cheetor, and Predacon Dinobot in their cybertronian forms. An additional free figure will be handed out at the door to those attending the con, of course. Rik said that the reduction of the set from seven to five figures came directly as a result of the fan surveys handed out at last year's Botcon. Expect other changes to improve the con from those surveys as well. Details of the exclusives that can be revealed are limited at this point, but Rik comfirmed that these will all be Cybertron molds and include Golden Disk cyber planet keys. The exact molds and retooling for the figures remains a closely guarded secret, but expect some mixing and matching of parts between molds to better pull off the Beast Wars likenesses. The figures will come from a variety of Cybertron size classes. Don't expect to see Wingsaber, as changing his molded Autobot symbol would have soaked up additional retooling funds better used elsewhere.

The story for this year's exclusives will be The Day Before Beast Wars, so expect to see the stealing of the Golden Disc and how the crews came together. The toys will feature their Beast Wars names, for the sake of recognition even if they don't necessarily make sense on cybertronian vehicles. The idea of renaming them to fit vehicle modes was discussed, with names like Tanktrap (Rattrap), Bulldozer (Rhinox), and Optimus Prime (Primal). Another suggestion was "Axalon Cheetor," etc. However, these seemed rather awkward or unclear as to character and were ultimately rejected. Expect the comic itself to deal with the name issue in an interesting way however. Rik was very excited about this story; sounds like you do not want to miss this comic!

Astrotrain will be coming this fall, pricepoint still unknown as that's not Rik's department. An informal poll of the room showed a strong preference for elaborate packaging. The second club store exclusive this year will be a different size-class than the Jetfire mold, who was an Ultra. As a point of interest, Rik was able to confirm that the original Jetfire head is not produced alongside the new head, as that section of the mold can be gated off. This is something long debated in certain circles, and I'm glad to have a final answer. The casting of unused heads that get tossed in the trash never made sense to me.

As far as future exclusives, Rik mentioned that they get thousands of suggestions online, and read and consider every single one of them. When asked about the possibility of Japanese exclusive molds, Rik said that many of these molds are unavailable. For example, the RiD Megatron mold was not the first choice for last year's convention set(Glad we wound up with it though, easily my favorite figure of the set). When asked about the possibility of the G1 Dinobots as an exclusive set, Rik said he loved the idea, especially in their unreleased G2 colors (mmm, lemony Grimlock). However, those molds use diecast, something that FP has to avoid because they can't produce the sets in the kind of numbers that justifies the purchase and use of the metal in industrial quantities by the factory. As a general rule, the older the mold the more likely it has been damaged, lost, or otherwise unavailable. Something to keep in mind when suggesting or hoping for certain molds: think post-'88 at best. Of course everyone asked for the unreleased Universe Seacons; Rik understood the demand and said that that is exactly the kind of exclusive the club wants to do. He did not confirm that the Seacons will be released via the club though.

Finally, as much as you do not want to miss this year's Beast Wars Prequel theme, you really don't want to miss Botcon '07. The buzz for Transformers will obviously be huge given the release of the movie that summer, and Hasbro is encouraging FP to rise to the occasion. Expect Botcon to be bigger and better than ever, with progress on the convetion exclusive set already underway. I can't make it to Botcon this year, but no way am I missing out next year with the level of excitement that Rik brought to the panel.

#2 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 41539 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:01 PM

Landquake testshot pics, final version subject to modification.

#3 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51262 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the summery Nightviper, some very interesting stuff. icon-ironhide.gif

Landquake looks better in that shot then in the promos, but I still don't see how the final combiner is going to be anything but garish.

card-strongarm.jpg

#4 Walky

Walky

A bigger physique than a gorilla captain

• Citizen
  • 39021 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ May 1 2006, 08:59 PM)
The idea of renaming them to fit vehicle modes was discussed, with names like Tanktrap (Rattrap), Bulldozer (Rhinox), and Optimus Prime (Primal). Another suggestion was "Axalon Cheetor," etc.

Note to Pete or Alvarez when either reads this thread: Primal's name was always Optimus Primal. When Depth Charge shows up, he knows his name is Optimus Primal. I think the guy from Cybertron in "The Probe" also calls him Optimus Primal. I can't remember if the Tripredacus Council calls him that, too.

Edited by ItsWalky, 01 May 2006 - 09:41 PM.

#5 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9323 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(ItsWalky @ May 1 2006, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE(NightViper @ May 1 2006, 08:59 PM)
The idea of renaming them to fit vehicle modes was discussed, with names like Tanktrap (Rattrap), Bulldozer (Rhinox), and Optimus Prime (Primal). Another suggestion was "Axalon Cheetor," etc.

Note to Pete or Alvarez when either reads this thread: Primal's name was always Optimus Primal. When Depth Charge shows up, he knows his name is Optimus Primal. I think the guy from Cybertron in "The Probe" also calls him Optimus Primal. I can't remember if the Tripredacus Council calls him that, too.

The guy in "The Probe" does. The Tripreds don't mention him.

Edit: I must say that I find the idea that it could have possibly even been suggested that Optimus Primal be named "Optimus Prime" to be fairly mind-boggling.

Edited by Kil, 01 May 2006 - 09:52 PM.

#6 Walky

Walky

• Citizen
  • 39021 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(Kil @ May 1 2006, 09:47 PM)
Edit: I must say that I find the idea that it could have possibly even been suggested that Optimus Primal be named "Optimus Prime" to be fairly mind-boggling.

Yeah, it bothers me a bit. I hope they're doing their homework.

And, uh, Tanktrap, huh?

Attached Thumbnails

• ssrattrap.jpg

#7 shellspark

shellspark

Blasting photon bombs from the arm like Galvatron

• Citizen
  • 4226 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE(ItsWalky @ May 1 2006, 09:53 PM)

And, uh, Tanktrap, huh?

Replace that flesh tone with red and you've got yourself a winner

KITTY WARS!

#8 Walky

Walky

• Citizen
  • 39021 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:15 PM

Voila!

Attached Thumbnails

• ssrattrap2.jpg

#9 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12278 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:27 PM

MUCH better.

M "The Fleshy Penile Pink Missiles Were Horrifying" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#10 Timelord Megs

Timelord Megs

Lost Time Lord

• Citizen
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:41 PM

Great News! I'm happy to see that they are all Cybertron molds. I think walky's right about which one they're going to use on Rattrap icon-hotrod.gif It's funny but, when Scattorshot first came out, I thought something about it reminded me of ol' Rattrap. It also looks like Rhinox will be Landmine's mold, if he was going to be named "Bulldozer".

Must resist urge to spend $300.....

I hope Optimus uses Jetfire's mold.

Edited by The DOCTOR Megs, 01 May 2006 - 11:44 PM.

Ah, Vehicons... EXTERMINATE!...yes.

#11 Walky

Walky

• Citizen
  • 39021 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(M Sipher @ May 1 2006, 11:27 PM)
M "The Fleshy Penile Pink Missiles Were Horrifying" Sipher

Whatever. They made you hard. Admit it.

#12 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Wha?

• Citizen
  • 4643 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:40 AM

Okay, I'd like to change my offical perdictions then.

New!
Primal = Crumplezone with remolded head
Rhinox = Landmine with remolded head
Cheetor = Override
Rattrap =Scattorshot with remolded head (was Ransack)
Predacon Dinobot = Evac (minus the winch)
Exclusive exclusive figure = Tigertron = Cheetro repaint = Override

Also, wasn't in the BWII movie Optimus called "Primal Convoy" when he met Lio Convoy? Or am I just mistaken on that?

#13 Walky

Walky

• Citizen
  • 39021 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:58 AM

I think he was just called Convoy.

#14 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 37664 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:04 AM

He's just Convoy in that one, I believe. I'm trying to figure out the "Axalon Cheetor" thing. Just a "Cheetor as he was on the Axalon", I'm guessing?

And for God's sake, I hope they ganked my Primal/Crumplezone head mold sketch... It only requires remolding half the head in the first place.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#15 TriBlurr

TriBlurr

The Purple Monkey

• Citizen
  • 6274 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:13 AM

I must be the only one that hopes Primal Isn't the Crumplezone mold.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Crumplezone (Eagerly awaiting the Dark version) but I just don't think the mold suits Primal at all.

#16 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 37664 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:18 AM

It's got the whole ape aesthetic going on, and the cockpit section could be made to reasonably resemble Primal's chest with some creative paint work. PLUS, you've got Crumplezone's big Cyber Key thruster/cannons that mirror Primal's almost exactly. PLUS, the three-wheeler racer mode is somewhat evocative of Optimal Optimus' odd-wheeled "vehicle" (yeah, whatever) mode.

Seriously, there is no better Cybertron mold for Primal, other than maybe the BWX one. I can't fathom what you think would work better, unless you want to stick him on Dirt Boss for some godforsaken reason.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#17 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

CHAOS! You got a one way ticket to CHAOS! CHAOS!

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE(ItsWalky @ May 1 2006, 10:53 PM)

And, uh, Tanktrap, huh?

they totally tipped thier hand on the molds when they mentioned those names. I guess they were allowed to? That's pretty hot that we're getting that concept though, that was developed here on the boards. DED SECKSEH! it's only too bad we don't get Predacons. It would take up a whole other year's worth of exclusives.

#18 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10629 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:33 AM

Mixing and matching of parts between molds?

Like...Longrack with Hoist's head?

#19 Walky

Walky

• Citizen
  • 39021 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(Spectre @ May 2 2006, 01:33 AM)

That's what I figger.

#20 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12278 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE(ItsWalky @ May 2 2006, 06:43 AM)
QUOTE(Spectre @ May 2 2006, 01:33 AM)

That's what I figger.

I cannot imagine what ELSE it would be.

M "TF Parts Aren't Really Mix-And-Matchable, For The Most Part" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert