Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 06:18 PM)

"Prowl". There, that's at least fifteen.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Or do you want people to spam the Squawkbox with lists of 100 characters?

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Oky, just one question: If I were to say "Yes, I could", how could you be sure I'm not lying?

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:08 PM)

i don't go into people's threads that have no relevance to my interests just to be an ass by telling them that their comments and opinions are of no value just because they have no personal interest to me.

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:06 PM)

i think one of us is misunderstanding what the squawkbox is actually for.

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:06 PM)

and what is wrong with that? you respond to me to lessen your own boredom.

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:05 PM)

I'm asking people if they think they could.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:05 PM)

Or did you just think of another random question to lessen your boredom?

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:04 PM)

Is this a survey?

Photo

General Final Fantasy chat

2159 replies to this topic

#2141 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19426 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:54 PM

This was posted to reddit a few days ago (wish I could credit the source, but with how fast reddit moves, I can't find it):

Spoiler

The sudden shock of that scene hit me just as hard as it did Cloud.  The cinematic framing in this game is brilliant.

#2142 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36723 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

They'll still need to hit some of the same story beats or else it might as well not even be FF7. But I do look forward to seeing what kind of liberties are taken. I think I said earlier that if it was a 1-1 remake, it probably wouldn't keep my interest past episode 2. I could just go back and play the original.

Basically, they would need to hit certain beats. They visit Kalm, Gold Saucer, Costa del Sol, Neibelheim, Wutai.

But specifics can change: relations with the Turks, Aerith's death, Tifa not calling out Clouds story at Kalm. Heck, I want to see what's going on with Zack!

So yeah, overall I'm totally down with how things are going.

Psst...with a new PS4, definitely check out Horizon Zero Dawn and Last of Us.

There is no way Wutai isn't happening. They basically hammered that nail down good in this one, with them being name dropped all the time. Its just too important of a location now, vs the wholly optional one it was in the original.

Also, one thing I just remembered, becuase it seems like such a nothing scene, is that Shinra Trooper that recognizes cloud, first near the start of the game and later in the Shinra building raid. He even goes to fetch help for Cloud after one of his "flashbacks". That feels like its got to be leading to something, and maybe that will tie into Zack's story?

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#2143 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 26025 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:09 PM

Oof! I knew he must've been having a flashforward. And given what happens to Aerith, it's not hard to guess. But whether it went too fast or what, I just didn't catch the framing. Wow!

Ninja'd:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Wutai has an even bigger role this time given how much it's already been discussed. Hopefully Yuffie (and Vincent for that matter) will be mandatory characters instead of the hidden status they had before.

I wasn't quite sure what the endgame is they were aiming for with the troop that recognized Cloud. But something to do with Zack is a very definite possibility.

Edited by Caldwin, 05 May 2020 - 02:15 PM.

PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#2144 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19426 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

They'll still need to hit some of the same story beats or else it might as well not even be FF7. But I do look forward to seeing what kind of liberties are taken. I think I said earlier that if it was a 1-1 remake, it probably wouldn't keep my interest past episode 2. I could just go back and play the original.

Basically, they would need to hit certain beats. They visit Kalm, Gold Saucer, Costa del Sol, Neibelheim, Wutai.

But specifics can change: relations with the Turks, Aerith's death, Tifa not calling out Clouds story at Kalm. Heck, I want to see what's going on with Zack!

So yeah, overall I'm totally down with how things are going.

Psst...with a new PS4, definitely check out Horizon Zero Dawn and Last of Us.

There is no way Wutai isn't happening. They basically hammered that nail down good in this one, with them being name dropped all the time. Its just too important of a location now, vs the wholly optional one it was in the original.

I can definitely see them using Remake's framing to help correct some of the disjointed narrative pacing of the original.  Dear friend was just murdered in cold blood?  Sounds like the perfect time to visit a ski resort and shred some powder!

Edited by mx-01 archon, 05 May 2020 - 02:15 PM.

#2145 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11239 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:09 PM

Well they've already made Cloud, Tifa, and Barrett's characters more... stable and less.. schizophrenic. 

#2146 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19426 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:33 PM

I wasn't quite sure what the endgame is they were aiming for with the troop that recognized Cloud. But something to do with Zack is a very definite possibility.

I think that ties into the elements of the Compilation that they're further integrating into the main narrative itself.  Other bits of this include the idea that Barret's Avalanche group was only a small cell of a larger, more militarized organization (detailed in the Before Crisis mobile phone game, previously).

In this case, the nameless Shinra soldier and his commanding officer were characters in Crisis Core, who Cloud trained with/under when he joined the army.

It'll be interesting to see where that plotline goes.  I wonder if it will supplement/replace the bits in the original game where there's random groups of Shinra soldiers that you sort of befriend, or at least gain some rapport with (eg: the marching squad in Junon, that you later meet as the crew of the submarine you hijack and can choose to spare).

#2147 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67464 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:19 PM

Took me 72 hours to finish the game. This was doing every subquest and getting 99% of everything in the game you could the first time around.

ACItEK8.png

#2148 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19426 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:35 AM

Is that your first run through, or your Platinum trophy?  Because that's a helluva long time if it's the former, but quite fast if the latter.

My first run through story mode was ~53 hours.  That included doing all the available quests, backtracking around quite a bit in Chapter 6 trying to find my way to that damned Elemental Materia (my blind ass missed the damned ladder near the end that leads you back there, so I walked up and down the zone 3-4 times trying to figure out what I missed), generally slow-walking and sight-seeing my way through most of the town zones (less so in combat zones), and taking the most inefficient route to finishing off all my Intel Reports by the end of Chapter 14 (so no mastering the Revive Materia with the post-game 3x AP bonus).  I'm not sure how the game logs time when it comes to fight retries, as there may be an unlogged hour or two there from the damned Hell House fight, and the Reno + Rude one.  Pretty sure it logged all the time I wasted failing to best Jules for those damned pull-ups, however...

But most of the Platinums being shown off on Reddit show 80-90 hours logged, so you're a bit under the curve of latter option.

#2149 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67464 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

That was first time through. I definitely took my time And there were times I had to let it sit there because of work related calls or whatever. I'm guessing that probably tacked on a few extra hours but not 20.

I have all the Battle Intel's complete except for the materia one, which I think was 9 out of 12 at the end of it all.

ACItEK8.png

#2150 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19426 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

Mastering the magic materia was Battle Intel 19 of 20.  You still have one more to do after that as well, the final Summon fight.

#2151 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67464 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, I meant I had to master three more magic types. Revive had the AP Master Materia linked to it, but was still taking forever.

ACItEK8.png

#2152 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19426 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:48 PM

Yup, that Revive materia is a massive AP hog.  I just did the Corneo Cup 3-man fight repeatedly for about an hour or so, with the AP Up attached, which earned about 50 AP per match (100 for Revive).  In the process of getting that done, I maxed out practically every other piece of materia I had, aside from the even more AP thirsty HP/MP/Magic/Luck Up and Elemental ones.

Oh well, it's moot now.  Since you've completed the main game, you get that sweet, sweet 3x AP multiplier, so that should be trivial to finish up.

Supposedly the quickest AP earnings in post-game is to just clear out the garage area of Shinra tower repeatedly.  Just keep resetting the chapter every time you make it to the building lobby.

With how much grinding I had done in Chapter 14, I won't need to do that for too long.  My characters were also level 42 at the end of that chapter, and level 45 by game completion, so that'll be a relatively quick trophy to claim as well.

Haven't made any real progress towards my Plat since beating the game, though.  Felt out I should knock out a bit more of my gaming backlog first before going back to that.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 09 May 2020 - 10:53 PM.

#2153 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10750 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:25 AM

I started Final Fantasy XV (Royal edition) for the first time yesterday.  Only got the first 3 hunts done so far, but not sure I'm liking the battle system.

#2154 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 26025 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:59 AM

It took me a while to get used to the battle system. And I certainly can't deny the tendency for camera screw. But it is something you get used to over time. Wait mode helps a lot.

https://gamerant.com...ait-mode-guide/

PSN = Caldwin

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#2155 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10750 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:45 AM

I will say that I did enjoy that as a level 2 I was able to kill multiple level 12 enemies

#2156 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 26025 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

It's been theorized (and I find credible) that they knew the battle system wasn't as solid as they hoped and so to compensate they made it possible to spam healing and gave you a second chance carbuncle.

I really should say, I absolutely love and adore XV. But I'm not sure how biased I am. It is how I kept my sanity while passing a stone.
PSN = Caldwin

#2157 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10750 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:56 AM

For me its more getting used to the fact that I have to hold the button down for combos as opposed to multiple pressed which im used to.  That and my annoyingly bad aim at warping LOL

#2158 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10750 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:41 PM

Anyone planning on getting the Crystal Chronicles remake in August?

I'm thinking of trying the free Lite edition on Switch at first.

Edited by Glenn, 01 July 2020 - 09:41 PM.

#2159 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Holy Electric Boogaloo Batman! I think

• Staff
  • 14547 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

It's been theorized (and I find credible) that they knew the battle system wasn't as solid as they hoped and so to compensate they made it possible to spam healing and gave you a second chance carbuncle.

I really should say, I absolutely love and adore XV. But I'm not sure how biased I am. It is how I kept my sanity while passing a stone.

XV is both a lot of fun and really frustrating. Like, the story is both enthralling and yet really basic at times. The extra episodes are fun, yet i wish they were IN the game and not simple seperate doc. Some characters have depth, while others are lacking.

And the Summons. I hate the randomised 'we'll happen when we want to', you've no idea who you'll get (though Ramuh seems to turn up most often). Instory, the divine beings intervening when they want makes sense, but its a frustrating mechanic.

Yet i do enjoy the game very much.

And fir all the complaints online about Cindy, i think she's funny and sexy. A little OTT? Sure, but i like it.

fslookup.jpg

#2160 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3250 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:28 PM

I beat the Remake a few days ago. Cannot wait for part 2.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users