Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

@  TriBlurr : (09 February 2020 - 11:58 AM)

Needs more zone defense. Call Scrapper

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 February 2020 - 11:29 AM)

MORE POINTS FOR BLITZWING!

@  Donocropolis : (09 February 2020 - 09:33 AM)

MP-7 Thundercracker recovers....he's at the 40....the 20....AND HE SCORES!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 February 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Reserved for Masterpiece Kup.

@  Sabrblade : (08 February 2020 - 09:49 PM)

MP-10 Convoy redecoed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 February 2020 - 06:56 AM)

MP-9 Rodimus self-destructed.

Photo

General Final Fantasy chat

2038 replies to this topic

#2021 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:53 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I recently had to rethink where my favorites rank. I think my tastes have changed since playing XV and still working my way through XII.

1. XV - it helped me get through a kidney stone and reconnect with a friend. So...yeah.

2. XII - I couldn't get through it on the PS2. But this Switch version is just too darn awesome. I've hardly played anything else while playing this (except a bit of Mario Maker, but that's pretty much it).

3. IX - I just love the designs. I wan't Zidane as a drinking buddy (if I still drank) and Garnet is just awesome.

4. VII - Obviously that had to be in my top five. I mean, come on!

5. III - Only because it is the first mainline FF game I ever played.

No honorable mentions because honestly, the rest just really drop off from there. I really wanted to like VI, but I ran into a brick wall and just never could get back into it.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#2022 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:06 PM

There are good Final Fantasies, and bad Final Fantasies, and then everything else. I can rank the ones I really like and the ones I don't, but the middle ones are all sorta average.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#2023 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

I beat it! I beat Zodiac Age! Holy crap, my heart's racing! This has definitely become my number 2 favorite.
PSN = Caldwin

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#2024 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1765 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:28 AM

I still need to get around to playing XII. It came out at a time when I was completely absorbed in XI, and so it got immediately shelved. I always planned to get around to it someday, but it's just never risen to the top of my backlog.

#2025 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:07 PM

So, I have finally started on FF12:TZA which I've wanted to do since beating 15 and enjoying that; as I felt they were very similar gameplay wise.

About 10 hours in, and... 15 definatly has the better combat. I like the more active combat then them sticking to the ATB. Everything feels so much slower. Still hate the liscene grid, it'd be fine if it was just gambits, magics, abilities, etc. But it having weapons and accessories is what annoys me still.

Also, is it just me or does this game seem like ANH at the very broad strokes? Desert-dwelling orphan who's main desire is to get out of the desert and become a pilot, gets involved with a charming rogue and his furry companion, complete with their own ship, and general from a war everyone thought was dead to rescue a princess from an imperial facility culimating in a fight against a powerful armored knight-like enemy.

Again, thats only the board stroke of the plot so far.  And it ignores the rescuing of Penelo.. who I guess in this analogy would be the droids as she's just kinda along for the ride wither she wants to be involved or not.

I doubt this will continue, but like the first 10 hours or so just feels vague familar.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#2026 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:06 PM

So, I have finally started on FF12:TZA which I've wanted to do since beating 15 and enjoying that; as I felt they were very similar gameplay wise.

About 10 hours in, and... 15 definatly has the better combat. I like the more active combat then them sticking to the ATB. Everything feels so much slower. Still hate the liscene grid, it'd be fine if it was just gambits, magics, abilities, etc. But it having weapons and accessories is what annoys me still.

Also, is it just me or does this game seem like ANH at the very broad strokes? Desert-dwelling orphan who's main desire is to get out of the desert and become a pilot, gets involved with a charming rogue and his furry companion, complete with their own ship, and general from a war everyone thought was dead to rescue a princess from an imperial facility culimating in a fight against a powerful armored knight-like enemy.

Again, thats only the board stroke of the plot so far.  And it ignores the rescuing of Penelo.. who I guess in this analogy would be the droids as she's just kinda along for the ride wither she wants to be involved or not.

I doubt this will continue, but like the first 10 hours or so just feels vague familar.

Wow! I never thought of that, but you're not wrong. Heh!

I enjoyed 12. But basically being an HD upgrade of a 2-generation-old game, I wasn't really expecting it to stand up to 15. I still enjoyed it and would love to see the viera used again, whether in an Ivalice setting or not.
PSN = Caldwin

#2027 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Another Year, Another Evolution of the Dark Knight!

• Staff
  • 13958 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:59 AM

I really have to get Zodiac Age sometime. I got about halfway (ish) through XII originally, much like VII, got sidetracked and just never came back. So i have quite a few Final Fantasies to replay or, in FFIXs case, play for the first time.

fslookup.jpg

#2028 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:12 AM

I think I said this before. I got my PS2 used way after I had my PS3. That meant it always had that lose, dirty, gritty feel that just made playing PS2 games less than pleasant. So I never finished any PS2 games, including FF 12.

So Zodiac Age (and even 10 HD) were a blessing. I will warn you that after playing 15 and other games like Skyrim and its type, going back to ATB can be a bit jarring. But I absolutely grew to love 12. I absolutely love 9 as well, so I definitely suggest it for characters and story. Though again, it does go back to the days of ATB, so keep that in mind.
PSN = Caldwin

#2029 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

I think I said this before. I got my PS2 used way after I had my PS3. That meant it always had that lose, dirty, gritty feel that just made playing PS2 games less than pleasant. So I never finished any PS2 games, including FF 12.

So Zodiac Age (and even 10 HD) were a blessing. I will warn you that after playing 15 and other games like Skyrim and its type, going back to ATB can be a bit jarring. But I absolutely grew to love 12. I absolutely love 9 as well, so I definitely suggest it for characters and story. Though again, it does go back to the days of ATB, so keep that in mind.

I'm fine with ATB, when we transistion to a seperate battle screen like with 1-10. 12 is trying to be both Tradtional and Modern at the same time, and while I've gotten used to it, it doesn't really work for me now. It didn't work for me then becuase it was too different, it doesn't work for me now becuase its too tradtional. But I do feel like I'm enjoying it more then I did the first time I played

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#2030 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:45 PM

About 30 hours in, Combat no longer really annoys me as I've mostly relegated that to using gambits for everyone. Its funny, that was one thing I really disliked in my original playthough. "Who wants a game that pretty much plays itself?" And now about a decade and more then mobile games I can count, I find I prefer just sorta setting combat to "Auto" rather then deal with the mix of ATB and real time combat; until boss battles at least.

Though my current annoyance is just the liscene system. Still really dislike it. Also how little money you get despite everything getting super expensive. I got to grind to get the ability to equip stuff, but also got to grind in hopes they drop loot I can get a decent price to afford anything. I'd be fine if it was either/or, but both just feels like needless walls in place to either encourage grinding or just trying to get by with as little as possible.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#2031 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:09 PM

I started a free month of XIV last night. Having played Everquest and ESO before, it's definitely not my first MMO. But it is my first MMO that requires a subscription.

I was tempted to play a Viera, but I doubt anyone would be surprised to hear I went the catgirl route.

The HUD feels cluttered and I'm feeling very aware that I'm using a console controller to play a game meant for keyboard and mouse.

But I still have some free time left, so I do plan on giving it a fair shake.
PSN = Caldwin

#2032 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Hold your heads high, reach for the sky, never surrender

• Supporter
  • 46060 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 30 December 2019 - 05:15 PM

You can adjust most of the HUD. I really recommend shrinking most of the elements and moving them a bit to free up screen space. I also recommend a keyboard, it makes it a lot easier than trying to type with the PS4's virtual keyboard. You can still play with keyboard and mouse on PS4 if you want.

If you're on Cactuar and need a hand, look me up.

#2033 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:08 AM

I may check that out. I'm certain I have a keyboard and mouse somewhere around here that's not being used.
PSN = Caldwin

#2034 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:39 PM

You can adjust most of the HUD. I really recommend shrinking most of the elements and moving them a bit to free up screen space. I also recommend a keyboard, it makes it a lot easier than trying to type with the PS4's virtual keyboard. You can still play with keyboard and mouse on PS4 if you want.

If you're on Cactuar and need a hand, look me up.

I can't seem to find the keyboard I used to have, which probably doesn't matter because I just realized all of my USB ports are taken. x_x

Also, I'm on Siren. Another friend of mine is on Faerie. I just kinda chose the world at random because I didn't realize how much of a difference it would make.

PSN = Caldwin

#2035 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:40 AM

I was finally able to figure out how to resize stuff. The word map is still cumbersome, but at least things are a bit more workable.

My other friend was able to do something where even though her home is on another server, she was still able to visit me on mine. Is that an option that unlocks at later levels or is it more likely she just has multiple characters?
PSN = Caldwin

#2036 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Hold your heads high, reach for the sky, never surrender

• Supporter
  • 46060 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

I haven't made a new character since they implemented it, so I don't know if it's level locked, but you can visit other worlds on your data center from the main aetheryte crystal in any major city. If you see anyone with <Wanderer> on their name, they're visiting from another world.

#2037 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:05 PM

I'll have to check that out some time. Thanks for the tip.
PSN = Caldwin

#2038 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25281 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

Oh, I guess I never gave an update. I decided to lay aside my Miqo'te and started a Viera archet. I did this so I could be on the same server as my friend. So now I'm on Faerie. I'm better used to the controls than I was. I resized a bunch of stuff on the HUD. The world map is still too big for my taste, but at least it's transparent. And I usually just close it once I'm in the general area then use the mini-map.

Over all, I think I'll keep going with this, especially since I learned you don't need PS+. I'll probably let that lapse.
PSN = Caldwin

#2039 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19343 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:56 AM

Huge new trailer for FFVII Remake just dropped.  New theme song, teen Cloud and Tifa, Honeybee Inn, the rest of the Shinra elites, plus a whole lotta stuff that wasn't in the original game at this point of the story.  Leviathan summon in Midgar!?  (Well, Summons in Midgar at all are new, but Leviathan was sort of a mid-game Summon in the original, not one of the initial set).

Edited by mx-01 archon, 31 January 2020 - 06:56 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users