Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass X÷ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 June 2021 - 02:57 PM)

Bass XO has no known weaknesses.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2021 - 06:15 AM)

Base XO is definitely unstoppable.

@  Donocropolis : (07 June 2021 - 04:30 PM)

What about magnets? No one knows how they work or what they can do.

@  Bass X0 : (07 June 2021 - 02:22 PM)

Yes Cybershark, and now no force in the universe can stop us.

@  Cybersnark : (07 June 2021 - 10:03 AM)

Aaaan we're back!

@  Telly : (06 June 2021 - 09:07 PM)

its alive! AAAALIIIIIIVEEEEEE! *maniacal laugh*

@  repowers : (06 June 2021 - 02:18 PM)

WHAT!!! ALLSPARK!!! you IN LIVE!!!!!!

@  Donocropolis : (06 June 2021 - 01:53 PM)

Indeed. I was missing it.

@  Shockwave 75 : (06 June 2021 - 11:35 AM)

So glad the boards are back!

@  Echowarrior : (06 June 2021 - 07:45 AM)

It's alive! Alive!

@  wonko the sane? : (05 June 2021 - 08:32 PM)

Aw man, I missed this place...

@  Sabrblade : (05 June 2021 - 08:31 PM)

Now here in Manhattan, the spell is broken! And we live again!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (05 June 2021 - 08:16 PM)

Groovy.

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 07:23 PM)

How is everyone

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 06:42 PM)

test

@  tigerhawk : (24 May 2021 - 07:42 AM)

I'm making progress with tweezers. It's no great loss given Dai Atlas minor roles anyway, I really do prefer this mold for Titans Overlord and Sky Shadow,

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 09:57 PM)

Had that happen once. Drilled a 1 mmhole in the peg and superglued a rivet into it for something to pull on.

@  tigerhawk : (22 May 2021 - 09:44 PM)

pliers, superglue, heat, nothing has worked so far but I had to take yesterday off due to pfizer side effects.

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 07:04 AM)

is there enough plastic sticking out to yank it out with pliers?

@  tigerhawk : (21 May 2021 - 01:05 PM)

Oh great my Legends Dai Atlas fell and the gun snapped in two, the handle is stuck in the port on top of the vehicle mode.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:14 AM)

Also, our compound terms are legendary among foreigners, because we throw them together as a single word, with no spaces and usually without hyphens too.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:12 AM)

You can have straightforward sentences that are a literal word-replace translation of stuff like "I go to school", but once you throw in perfect tense and prepositions, you end up with insane constructions where the main verb is at the very end of a very long sentence, so you have to listen to the whole sentence until you have any clue what is going on.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

And I stand by that. German sentence structure can be utterly insane.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

Fun fact: When I was teaching German kids English, I kept telling them that English grammar and especially sentence structure is more logical than German.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

e.g. Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den was by a Chinese guy pointing out the weirdness in his own language, rather than the frustrations of somebody learning Chinese as their second. So English isn't the only case where native speakers might enocunter funky issues.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

Then I shall concede, and retire.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:14 AM)

I'm not sure if that's even all that unique to English.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:07 AM)

Which is why I specified those comparing learning it to learning other languages as a second language.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:04 AM)

And I don't think "ancedotal frustration" means much, considering that every language has complaints from people trying to learn it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:03 AM)

The fact that these stand out certainly makes Japanese "not a smoothie". And it's only consistent within more recent loanwords. Older ones stick out in a different way.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:00 AM)

Even writing them generally in katakana is a consistent treatment, and gives someone learning the language a general expected approach. I'd say the anecdotal frustration with English by those learning it compared to learning other languages as a second language is a demonstration that this sort of consistency and organization was not a valued thing in the past few centuries of the language's development.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 12:28 AM)

Frankly, it just sounds like you think other languages seem a certain way because you don't look into them all that much.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 12:28 AM)

It's pretty pervasive in Japanese as well, with how these feature into everyday speech.. And I don't know what you even mean by "deep", since writing them in a particular character set basically calls attention to not just their derivative nature, but their relative recency as well.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 12:25 AM)

Indeed, every language has those artifacts if you examine deeply enough, but in English they're not deep, and they're pervasive.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 May 2021 - 11:56 PM)

like Japanese using three different script types together, and more recent word borrowings tend to be in katakana.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 May 2021 - 11:51 PM)

I don't know what you mean by "cohesively". Borrowings are probably obvious if you know what to look for.

Photo
- - - - -

Dwight Schrute Got Laid Last Night Wearing This Shirt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#21 Whirl

Whirl
  • Citizen
  • 25403 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(WaveRyder @ Oct 10 2009, 02:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(The Walky @ Oct 9 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Oct 9 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wair so watching a rehash of a not that funny british show is cool?

The Office has been really really not a rehash of the British version for at least five years now. It's very much its own animal.

I'd watch an episode with Animal in it. Or any Muppet for that matter. XD

WOOOOOH-MOOOOOOOOON!

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#22 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

Slowly losing myself in a good way

• Citizen
  • 6238 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(The Walky @ Oct 9 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Oct 9 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wair so watching a rehash of a not that funny british show is cool?

The Office has been really really not a rehash of the British version for at least five years now. It's very much its own animal.

It still sucks. Steve Carrell has never been funny.

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

#23 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:27 PM

And some day, the millions who enjoy his work will finally, utterly realize that hard truth, and they will eventually come to bitter terms with their flawed perceptions!

But in the meantime, DarkeklawGW, who has this weird "e" in the middle of his name that I'm not sure what to make of, you keep soldiering on alone. Soon, very soon, the emperor will be seen to be unclothed. Courage, dude. Courage.

#24 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

• Citizen
  • 6238 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE(The Walky @ Oct 13 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And some day, the millions who enjoy his work will finally, utterly realize that hard truth, and they will eventually come to bitter terms with their flawed perceptions!

But in the meantime, DarkeklawGW, who has this weird "e" in the middle of his name that I'm not sure what to make of, you keep soldiering on alone. Soon, very soon, the emperor will be seen to be unclothed. Courage, dude. Courage.

Ah the famous willis wit.... Oh wait you're not all that funny either.

Stop thinking yourself so self important, I spoke my opinion there are also millions of people that agree with me, not everyone enjoys the office and obviously since this is a discussion board that deals with your opinion and my opinion, I have never found Steve Carrell funny. There's no need for you to be a douche about it, but hey I hear that's your normal MO. Internet bravery is fun, but I'd do this type of stuff to people to their face Walky wear your big boy pants somewhere other then on a Fan Board and we'll talk.

BTW the e in the middle was for when I was playing a Transformers Mush and I wanted a way to keep the name from being imitated. Oh My God someone who does things because he wants to be a tad bit original.

Maybe you should try that with Shortpacked once and a while. icon-arcee.gif Thanks you've just proven what a lot of your deriders claim about ya.

Edited by DarkeklawGW, 13 October 2009 - 12:20 AM.

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

#25 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35317 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:32 AM

I don't want to get within a mile of this INTERNET penis measurement contest, but can't help but interject that, sorry, the US Office is an incredible show. And less than a week after airing one of it's finest episodes ever seems like a strange time to denounce it.

Steve Carrell has a very dry/deadpan comedic delivery that isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. He is brilliant at becoming his character on the show because I spend a good bulk of my time watching it mouthing "no Michael." If you judge your enjoyment of the show by the number of times he intentionally makes you laugh, I could see disappointment.

Sorry, but The Office is easily in the top 5 shows on US Television, even though "best shows" are sometimes not what some people like. I guess I just never bashed "E.R." because I knew a lot of people liked it and being a hater might be seen as a dick move. icon-arcee.gif

#26 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

• Citizen
  • 6238 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(Wheelimus @ Oct 13 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't want to get within a mile of this INTERNET penis measurement contest, but can't help but interject that, sorry, the US Office is an incredible show. And less than a week after airing one of it's finest episodes ever seems like a strange time to denounce it.

Steve Carrell has a very dry/deadpan comedic delivery that isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. He is brilliant at becoming his character on the show because I spend a good bulk of my time watching it mouthing "no Michael." If you judge your enjoyment of the show by the number of times he intentionally makes you laugh, I could see disappointment.

Sorry, but The Office is easily in the top 5 shows on US Television, even though "best shows" are sometimes not what some people like. I guess I just never bashed "E.R." because I knew a lot of people liked it and being a hater might be seen as a dick move. icon-arcee.gif

Actually I just got a chance to see Get Smart and I have to take back my previous statement.

Steve Carrell made an excellent Maxwell Smart.

I just didn't like him in much else

Wheels it comes down to the fact that I get tired of people saying "Well your stating your opinion as fact" whether it's directly or veiled in snark. NO I'm stating my opinion on a chat board. I shouldn't ever have to go IMHO all the damn time or you'd be doing it every post.

Everything you write is your opinion, sometimes it's backed up by facts, some times it's not. Comedy is subjective and most times (Except in the case of Get Smart) I find Steve Carrell's humor not to be dry and deadpan but juvenille and immature. My boss has dry/deadpan humor which I get.

I also don't trust "What everyone else is watching" as a factor on why I should watch something. I've watched many great shows (Brimstone, Briscoe County Jr. Mantis, the list goes on) That have done horrible in the ratings, but were great to watch and what happens "Well the ratings weren't good enough so we cancelled it." When the average American watches something they normally watch what they hear their friends have seen. Believe me I've sat through enough of the shows to give them a chance. I think there are also hundreds of better comedians out there than some of the ones who have sitcoms right now. Not everyone is going to agree with me, but just because I state my opinion, with out the IMHO Steve Carrell has never been funny (Which I saw something and thought he was FINALLY Funny in I have to revise it) Doesn't mean I need to be pounced on by an guy who's self importance over his own webcomic seems to make him think he gets to act with impunity. Something this board has pulled many times with their "Favorites" and yes once again that is my opinion, obvilously, Duh.

BTW I know exactly how big my E-penis is and it's no bigger or smaller than anyone elses.

P.S. Yes I am exactly like this in real life and yes I still have friends, because I don't coddle them or sugar coat my opinion because I'm afraid it might "Offend" somebody. If you worry you might offend someone you shouldn't be worried about voicing you opinion because no matter what someone's going to think your an bunghole.

Edited by DarkeklawGW, 13 October 2009 - 08:56 AM.

#27 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35317 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

Do yourself a favor and watch last weeks hour long wedding spectacular since it should be extremely free on Hulu or something. If you don't like it, then you're absolutely right. Some things are just a matter of taste and if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. Just then, my opinion of your opinion would rise to "informed" from something more akin to "Beast Wars sucks because it's not G1! Animated sucks because they LOOK WEIRD!" Like I said, there are plenty of historically great shows I just don't get into. And plenty I've had my opinion corrected of and gotten into after they were long gone. Kind of like the Arrested Development kick I'm on. **ducks the shoes of angry fans because I didn't watch it when it was on**

#28 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21617 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:32 AM

Kind of like the Arrested Development kick I'm on. **ducks the shoes of angry fans because I didn't watch it when it was on**

I've been there. When I first watched it thanks to a friends DVD sets, my response was "HOW WAS THIS BRILLIANCE ON TV AND I DID NOT KNOW OF IT?"

ty3jHaa.jpg

#29 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23236 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Oct 13 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kind of like the Arrested Development kick I'm on. **ducks the shoes of angry fans because I didn't watch it when it was on**

I've been there. When I first watched it thanks to a friends DVD sets, my response was "HOW WAS THIS BRILLIANCE ON TV AND I DID NOT KNOW OF IT?"

We #%$ing tried to tell you people.

#30 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33615 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Oct 13 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually caught a few eps on TV and didn't care for it.

Then a few years later I caved in and watched the DVDs. No wonder the show failed - you really have to have kept up with it to get into it. But oh my god that was such an awesome show once I actually knew what it was all about! I burned through those DVDs so fast it was crazy!

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#31 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21617 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Oct 13 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Oct 13 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually caught a few eps on TV and didn't care for it.

Then a few years later I caved in and watched the DVDs. No wonder the show failed - you really have to have kept up with it to get into it. But oh my god that was such an awesome show once I actually knew what it was all about! I burned through those DVDs so fast it was crazy!

Yeah, it probably wouldn't have been as awesome if I hadn't started with the pilot. I burned through em pretty quick too. icon-fire.gif

ty3jHaa.jpg

#32 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 41262 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

I have to agree with DarkeklawGW. I've seen about half the episodes of the series, and I think Steve carrel and his character are the worst part of the show. The supporting cast are great, but he just ruins it for me.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#33 Galenraff

Galenraff

• Retired Staff
  • 33615 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

Discussion needs to remain on topic from here on out.

Predaking's post is perfect. He expresses his personal opinion, which is apparently contrary to the popular view here, without calling anyone else names. It can be done! icon-bee.gif

Further off-topic posts will be removed and more warnings may be issued.

#34 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5704 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

I saw the commercials for the British Office. It never really appealed to me.

#35 Galenraff

Galenraff

• Retired Staff
  • 33615 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

It's very very different, but it is quite good. It's not a sitcom like the American one is. Most of the humor comes from being a fly on the wall to some of the most awkward, socially inappropriate situations imaginable in the setting. I totally get that not being everyone's thing, but I thought it was hilarious.

#36 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 37409 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

Arent they current'y playing it on Adult Swim?

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#37 (Deactivated) Necromancer Bob

(Deactivated) Necromancer Bob
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

And some day, the ten people who enjoy his work will finally, utterly realize that hard truth, and they will eventually come to bitter terms with their flawed perceptions!

Yes, they will (and I corrected your numbers to be closer to reality). Steve Carrell is marginally funnier than a bad case of hemorrhoids, but just barely. The Office isn't funny, either, for that matter. Mind-numbingly depressing, yes, but not funny.

#38 Suspsy

Suspsy

This Title Section Needs To Be Longer

• Citizen
  • 4210 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(Necromancer Bob @ Oct 14 2009, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And some day, the ten people who enjoy his work will finally, utterly realize that hard truth, and they will eventually come to bitter terms with their flawed perceptions!

Yes, they will (and I corrected your numbers to be closer to reality).

You want reality? Try Nielsen ratings, bub. Ongoing, easily accessible, and unlike people on message boards, they never lie.

http://www.officetal...atings-season-6

Would you look at that. An average of 8,000,000 viewers per week. Quite an impressive feat indeed for an unfunny show, eh?

Oh, and I can also paste the box office earnings for The 40-Year Old Virgin if you'd like.
If You Even Dream Of Beating Me, You'd Better Wake Up And Apologise.

#39 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 41262 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Suspsy @ Oct 13 2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Necromancer Bob @ Oct 14 2009, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, they will (and I corrected your numbers to be closer to reality).

You want reality? Try Nielsen ratings, bub. Ongoing, easily accessible, and unlike people on message boards, they never lie.

http://www.officetal...atings-season-6

Would you look at that. An average of 8,000,000 viewers per week. Quite an impressive feat indeed for an unfunny show, eh?

Oh, and I can also paste the box office earnings for The 40-Year Old Virgin if you'd like.

So do you have a man crush on Steve Carrell or something?

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#40 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:17 PM

I kinda do have a man crush on Steve Carrell.

(Though I wonder why one has to pretend he doesn't have a lot of fans to justify one's own negative opinion of him.)