Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 December 2019 - 02:13 AM)

Is BWTF down?

@  Nevermore : (15 December 2019 - 04:05 PM)

The music, if you'd even call it that, adds to the creepy atmosphere. Apparently it was recorded using sounds created in a real nuclear power plant of the same type as Chernobyl.

@  Nevermore : (15 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

In case you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend the HBO mini-series "Chernobyl", which is about, well, you know. It's very intense and not for the faint-heartet. I'd say it's more scary than any horror flick, because (despite some artistic liberties taken with the behavior of some of the characters, and the timeline for some events), it's eerily real.

@  Sabrblade : (15 December 2019 - 10:51 AM)

Hey, at least you baked a cake in the bathroom. Not many can attest to that. :p

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Nope. Forgot entirely, had to make another trip.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

Well, did you get water?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Went to the bathroom, shaved, baked a cake... wait, I only got up to get some water...

@  unluckiness : (14 December 2019 - 09:01 AM)

That's a common misconception. You see compared to the first run, it's a new mold.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 December 2019 - 03:27 AM)

Wouldn't that just add packaging authenticity? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2019 - 01:44 AM)

I read a anecdote of someone recently receiving a Glacialord with mold because apparently online stores' warehouses have been sitting on Fansproject products like that for years.

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

Photo

Brightest Day Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
497 replies to this topic

#1 toymaker

toymaker

Destiny Awaits

• Citizen
  • 3860 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

Figure I'd make a thread to discuss the comic by those who read it. It's going to be an 8 month or so ride so I figured we could have it all in one central spot.

I'm not going to spoil it but I want to throw in my 2 cents

Blackest Night #1? HOLY HUG. WOW. I figured it'll be like a rollercoaster. You buckle in and the first issue would you get excited going up the top and it'd give you a hot tease for the next issue. Hug. That. A dozen or so pages in and you get hit with a shovel. In the face. Repeatedly. Geoff Johns Hugging Rules

#2 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

I flipped through it at the comic shop...didn't buy it because the comic shop got screwed over by Diamond on the Black Lantern rings so I'm just going to wait for the Hardcover to come out. What a way to open an issue though...I knew this was going to be awesome. This should make up for the debacle that was final crisis last summer.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#3 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22354 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

I have chills going down my spine. It's not often a comic does that for me.

Wow.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Ralph and Sue are the best Black Lanterns ever. The moment they were revealed to be Black Lanterns, that's when chills began.

And GODDAMN. When HIGHLIGHT to view:
J'onn told both Hal and Barry that they shouldn't be alive...better moment than the entire Sinestro Corps war.

Marvel's gonna have to step up with Cap: Reborn.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 15 July 2009 - 05:04 PM.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#4 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4772 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

Who knew that HIGHLIGHT to view:
Black Hand would be quite possibly the most important GL villian ever?
Signatures are overrated.

#5 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:48 AM

So uh...

HIGHLIGHT to view:
is the goal to make every hero who was at Crisis a Black Lantern? I'm glad they killed Kendra, this incarnation of Hawkgirl has been very annoying

#6 (Deactivated) combiner1

(Deactivated) combiner1
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(VeritasZB @ Jul 16 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So uh...

HIGHLIGHT to view:
is the goal to make every hero who was at Crisis a Black Lantern? I'm glad they killed Kendra, this incarnation of Hawkgirl has been very annoying

NO, from what I understand, anybody who has died can be Black Lantern, hero, civilians, villains, aliens......... everybody. NO heart beat, no problem.... BOOM black lantern (hey atleast they are not picky)

As for the comics itself................ GREAT SCOT BATMAN icon-ironhide.gif icon-ironhide.gif icon-ironhide.gif
I knew Blackest NIght is gonna be a great ride and on the 1st issue, it started out as a big roller coster WHOOOOO
Keep them comming DC (I might actually stop by the blood bank to excahnge blood for money) icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif

My Prediction:
HIGHLIGHT to view:
Noticed when the hawk's heart turn to dust, the black ring's power lever went up 0.01%(that's how they re-charge the black rings)....... I think this will become a major story point. Nobody knows what will happened when a black ring get's to be 100% charge....I'm thinking Armagedon powers

PLUS: the freebee black ring is great. all i need now is to remember the black oath

#7 shumworld

shumworld

"One down, two to go."

• Citizen
  • 7974 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

Holly crap HIGHLIGHT to view:
Sue Dibny!!!

#8 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

do we have to type with spoiler tags?

there's a warning on the topic about spoilers.

Either way, Ralph and Sue were super creepy as Black Lanterns. I like how he has her wrapped up in his hand.

I'm sure the only way to kill a Black Lantern is to pump them full of life, thus how everyone will come back to life.

Edited by skankerzero, 17 July 2009 - 10:11 AM.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#9 Defunct

Defunct

Not to be funct with. . .

• Retired Staff
  • 26834 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

No, I don't think spoiler tags are needed in this thread. I'll edit the title to make it perfectly clear.

As for Sue Dibny, she was of course a ghost detective until this. I wonder if the Black Lanterns just take over the body and warped personality of the person, or if they take over their "soul" as well.
. . .

#10 toymaker

toymaker

Destiny Awaits

• Citizen
  • 3860 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hey Defunct,
Since this is the big DC storyline for the next few months, can we pin this thread?

#11 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12684 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE(Defunct @ Jul 17 2009, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I don't think spoiler tags are needed in this thread. I'll edit the title to make it perfectly clear.

As for Sue Dibny, she was of course a ghost detective until this. I wonder if the Black Lanterns just take over the body and warped personality of the person, or if they take over their "soul" as well.

I've been wondering, myself. I'm going to assume such, although seeing the disembodied spirits of Ralph and Sue confront their reanimated corpses could be interesting.

I've also been wondering, how do they (or do they?) deal with dead characters where there's no body? I mean, in the case of Firestorm, there shouldn't have been a body, given the explosive nature of his death, but they've just retconned Ronnie Raymond's grave into existence. Still, I expect it wouldn't be hard to find examples of characters that they wouldn't be able to do that for....

#12 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(combiner1 @ Jul 17 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Noticed when the hawk's heart turn to dust, the black ring's power lever went up 0.01%(that's how they re-charge the black rings)....... I think this will become a major story point. Nobody knows what will happened when a black ring get's to be 100% charge....I'm thinking Armagedon powers

My kooky thought that was since these are basically the anti-lanterns the power level going up is actually them getting weaker.

It would seem that to get to 100% Each ring would have to 'kill' 10,000 people.

#13 Defunct

Defunct

• Retired Staff
  • 26834 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(Lord Zhufor @ Jul 17 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Defunct,
Since this is the big DC storyline for the next few months, can we pin this thread?

Ehn, I don't think that necessary. As long as there's interest, the topic will stay near the top of the forum. I wouldn't want to have to start pinning threads for every publisher's big "event" comics.
. . .

#14 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Jul 17 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, in the case of Firestorm, there shouldn't have been a body, given the explosive nature of his death, but they've just retconned Ronnie Raymond's grave into existence.

Even then, I wonder what the Professor's role will be when Ronnie get's turned. Can't have Firestorm without him.
-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#15 toymaker

toymaker

Destiny Awaits

• Citizen
  • 3860 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(Defunct @ Jul 17 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Lord Zhufor @ Jul 17 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Defunct,

Ehn, I don't think that necessary. As long as there's interest, the topic will stay near the top of the forum. I wouldn't want to have to start pinning threads for every publisher's big "event" comics.

Ok. makes sense.

#16 Detective Fork

Detective Fork

Generic Purple Wavey Avatar

• Citizen
  • 2996 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

I haven't been closely following DC Comics in the last year or so, as much as I loved Blackest Night, there were a couple of things I was hazy on. Bruce Wayne isn't really dead, right? Didn't he get thrown back in time? So, whose body was in his grave? Also, when did Conner come back to life, and when did Pa Kent die????

#17 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14179 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

I'm not convinced it's the killing that's powering the Black rings. It strikes me that, given what Scar said whe she slaughtered the other Oans that it's not life they're consuming with the hearts, but rather emotions.

That would make sense to me because it would set up a nice rivalry. All the other rings are emotionally driven/powered, except green, which is willpower, control over emotions. Green is control, black is cessation, the rest fall before those two.

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#18 Defunct

Defunct

• Retired Staff
  • 26834 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(Detective Fork @ Jul 18 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't been closely following DC Comics in the last year or so, as much as I loved Blackest Night, there were a couple of things I was hazy on. Bruce Wayne isn't really dead, right? Didn't he get thrown back in time? So, whose body was in his grave? Also, when did Conner come back to life, and when did Pa Kent die????

Bruce Wayne is sorta dead, sorta not. That's the funny thing about the Omega Sanction. The body IS Bruce, but the details remain a mystery. One which may be crucial to the story.

Connor came back to life as a result of the Legion of 3 Worlds story (it took the Birthing Matrix 1000 years to fix him up), and Pa Kent had some troubles with his ticker when Brainiac lobbed a missile at him while Kandor was landing on the North Pole.
. . .

#19 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12684 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(skankerzero @ Jul 17 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, in the case of Firestorm, there shouldn't have been a body, given the explosive nature of his death, but they've just retconned Ronnie Raymond's grave into existence.

Even then, I wonder what the Professor's role will be when Ronnie get's turned. Can't have Firestorm without him.

Actually, Ronnie was Firestorm without the Professor for several years before Didio decided to kill Ronnie off so that they could introduce Jason....

#20 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Jul 18 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(skankerzero @ Jul 17 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Ronnie was Firestorm without the Professor for several years before Didio decided to kill Ronnie off so that they could introduce Jason....

ah, ok. I'm only familiar with 1980s Firestorm. Never did read his newer stuff.
-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games