Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

@  Benbot : (09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM)

Those are too friendly--what if he was a Decepticon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM)

Cheesewagon

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Bus-Top has a very GoBot vibe

@  Bass X0 : (08 October 2019 - 10:51 AM)

I actually never heard of the name Megalodon until recently.

@  Noideaforaname : (08 October 2019 - 09:44 AM)

Bus-Top, Omnibus, Cerebus, Busicus, Busicon

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Otto

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Frizzle

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Crankshaft?

@  Benbot : (08 October 2019 - 08:55 AM)

What's a good name for a school bus Transformer?

@  lastmaximal : (08 October 2019 - 12:57 AM)

Huh. There's a neat name for Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megs.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 October 2019 - 11:44 AM)

It's a submarine, we swear!

@  Otaku : (07 October 2019 - 11:26 AM)

@Bass X0 Letting myself comment to say "That's a good one!" and ask "Would a megalodon be a good fit for Megatron?"

@  Benbot : (07 October 2019 - 07:59 AM)

Ohhh good one

@  Bass X0 : (07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM)

I now want a Decepticon shark called Megalotron.

@  TriBlurr : (06 October 2019 - 05:47 PM)

Gives them time to screw up the color of his hands. :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 October 2019 - 12:33 PM)

His bulk is too great to teleport across such distances.

@  Sabrblade : (06 October 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Cuz it'll take that long to mass produce.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 October 2019 - 10:47 AM)

Why is Unicron coming in 2021 and not 2020?

@  wonko the sane? : (06 October 2019 - 06:47 AM)

Shut up rattrap.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 October 2019 - 11:58 PM)

We're all gonna die!

- - - - -

The Commercial George Lucas wants you to forget...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
111 replies to this topic

#101 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:27 AM

*keeps reading Kamino as Kamina*

#102 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51984 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:28 AM

Clones to pierce the Republic?

card-strongarm.jpg

#103 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40456 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE(aDam @ Aug 18 2008, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's this cape thing I keep hearing about?

I really don't think you want to be introduced to Cape Thing.

#104 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE(esrz22 @ Aug 24 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that would be a clone army to see.

PM me if you're bored!

#105 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28043 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:28 AM

It would rebel the second it was used.

Ironbite-then go on to punch Simon in the mouth.

xC9l3eY.gif

#106 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off model.

• Supporter
  • 50173 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:31 AM

Remember first time you heard the term "Clone Wars"? I thought a war against a clone - or multiples - of yourself, with all your abilities and possibility to mimic you. . . . Frankly I still think my version is better.

I thought this as a kid and thought it sounded stupid, as a kid. What actually happened has the distinction of making sense in Star Wars tech - honestly, it's a really neat concept, IMO, and the least gimmicky thing possible for something called "the clone wars."

wasn't there backups anywhere? It's a technology, after all, you can build cloning centers all over the galaxy once you got the technical know-how on how to do it and make the machines.

They seemed to like their exclusivity.

Yes. I get technicality. But he's not a robot. He's a human. I find his bunghole behaviour in lying/deceiving/whateveryouwanttocall it a lot more far fetched than it being a simple plot hole by a man didn't have it all worked out in his mind years ago.

Frankly, the prequels give the original film some credit in ways that aren't acknowledged. The first time we see Anakin wield a red saber is still the duel between Vader and Obi-Wan. Artoo's seeming knowledge of Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan's dodging of Luke's question there take on a new conspiratorial air - or, really, just a bit more of one that was already present because of the shared knowledge that they do have, if not of each other. Things like that show some attempt at really, genuninely writing backwards. It is not possible for a work like this to be anything but an assload of retcons. The question is, are they done well? In at least some cases, I think they certainly are.
Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#107 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11294 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(esrz22 @ Aug 24 2008, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHERE THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?!?

#108 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11294 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(Transfotaku @ Aug 23 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if something happened to Kamino, why wasn't there backups anywhere? It's a technology, after all, you can build cloning centers all over the galaxy once you got the technical know-how on how to do it and make the machines.

Seems Palpatine was betting it all on the hopes that one planet on the fringes of his rule would NOT be attacked by his enemy. It's like America putting all their military forces in say, Pittsburgh PA, and hoping no one in the world ever does anything to it.

You're assuming Palpatine wanted to win the Clone Wars. Remember, the war and everything related to it were all a Sith plot. The only purpose of the war was to spread the Jedi out so they'd be isolated and could be killed off and/or discredited. The clones themselves were just needed to kick-start the GAR and to stir up controversy about the Jedi using expendable slaves. And to draw Mandalorians into the fight to keep the Jedi distracted (any hints of subterfuge would just be blamed on the mando'ade, because that's just how "they" are).

Eventually, the clones will have outlived their usefulness, and it serves Palpatine's purposes to have the technology eliminated from the public eye. This also means he can institute a draft, which is a great cover to get rid of any dissidents, and serves to bring in people who may not be as loyal to the Jedi as the bred-to-be-obedient clones.

The draft also creates public dissent, which helps sustain the inevitable Rebellion, which gives Palpy an excuse to retain martial law.

(And there were backup Spaarti cylinderss, they were just a carefully-kept secret --another step of Palpatine's plan. Read Republic Commando: True Colors, the Thrawn trilogy, and the Dark Empire comics to see where that led.)

This is what I love about the EU; Palpatine is downright scary.

#109 Transfotaku

Transfotaku
  • Citizen
  • 1428 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Palpatine needed to achieve his goals. Said goals were to destroy the Jedi, defeat the Seps (some of whom were not controlled entirely by him), and have the manpower required to supress rebellions to his new rule. He needed the clones, and lots of them, to do all three. And he needed to do ALL 3 to win.
One major natural disaster or one battle gone off course would have destroyed his clone production.

And I'm going by movies only, because that's what the very vast majority of the people see. That's all that the bulk of people that know Star Wars ever gets to doing. EU is nice n'all, but, it's lower tier in canon. Further, the EU is written by people who have a brain and can think critically, and that is just so jarring with Lucas' visions in the movies that they seem like two different universes! icon-arcee.gif
Also, where do we see the Jedi using slaves, or the Mandalorians?

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Aug 25 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Transfotaku @ Aug 23 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if something happened to Kamino, why wasn't there backups anywhere? It's a technology, after all, you can build cloning centers all over the galaxy once you got the technical know-how on how to do it and make the machines.

Seems Palpatine was betting it all on the hopes that one planet on the fringes of his rule would NOT be attacked by his enemy. It's like America putting all their military forces in say, Pittsburgh PA, and hoping no one in the world ever does anything to it.

You're assuming Palpatine wanted to win the Clone Wars. Remember, the war and everything related to it were all a Sith plot. The only purpose of the war was to spread the Jedi out so they'd be isolated and could be killed off and/or discredited. The clones themselves were just needed to kick-start the GAR and to stir up controversy about the Jedi using expendable slaves. And to draw Mandalorians into the fight to keep the Jedi distracted (any hints of subterfuge would just be blamed on the mando'ade, because that's just how "they" are).

Eventually, the clones will have outlived their usefulness, and it serves Palpatine's purposes to have the technology eliminated from the public eye. This also means he can institute a draft, which is a great cover to get rid of any dissidents, and serves to bring in people who may not be as loyal to the Jedi as the bred-to-be-obedient clones.

The draft also creates public dissent, which helps sustain the inevitable Rebellion, which gives Palpy an excuse to retain martial law.

(And there were backup Spaarti cylinderss, they were just a carefully-kept secret --another step of Palpatine's plan. Read Republic Commando: True Colors, the Thrawn trilogy, and the Dark Empire comics to see where that led.)

This is what I love about the EU; Palpatine is downright scary.

RIP Libby - Died June 1st, 2012
WANT: Nightmare Unicron, IDW Trailcutter, Hoist x2, Orion Pax x2, BH Arcee, Legend Optimus w/Roller

#110 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Aug 24 2008, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay well I don't consider games to be on any level canon.

They are unless something with more prominence contradicts them.

One of the few things I like about Star Wars is their canon policy.

One of the many things I hate. And it's been my experience that discounting anything that's not on the screen leads to worlds less contradiction. When I'm playing a game or game series, I consider those games canon, but if I'm just watching the movies I've seen no reason aside from George Lucas wanting more royalties to consider the EU to be canon.

Similarly, if I'm watching the Highlander it's nonsense to consider the TV series canon, but if I'm watching the TV series then of course it becomes canon.

It's like an onion. A horribly rotten, stinky onion.

#111 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11294 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

Well, if you go only by the movies, of course it makes no sense, because Lucas can't write. People can change their entire moral alignment like flipping a light switch, skilled and highly-trained soldiers become morons who can't shoot straight when confronted by an untried farmboy, and people who've lived, suffered, fought, laughed, and faced death side by side for years will immediately turn on each other without question as soon as some politician light-years away gives an order.

And I'm sure Palpatine had backup plans if Kamino had come under attack before he was done with it (they weren't the only cloners, they were just the best --I'm sure that Kaminoan technology & know-how could've found its way to someone else if needed). He just never needed those plans because Dooku was skilled enough at controlling his own side of the war.

Also, You underestimate just how much "under control" Palpatine's enemies are. Just because they won't listen to you (or even if they openly defy you), doesn't mean you can't make them do whatever you want at any given time. Mace Windu was the best "apprentice" Palpatine could've hoped for.

QUOTE(Transfotaku @ Aug 26 2008, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, where do we see the Jedi using slaves, or the Mandalorians?

I consider the clones themselves to be slaves (living, sapient beings, used as cannon fodder and not considered citizens).

And the GAR was cloned from a Mandalorian, which led to most Mandalorians joining the Seps in outrage (except for a handful who'd already been hired as Officers by the Republic to train the clones, and even they weren't fond of the Jedi).

#112 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Aug 26 2008, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the GAR was cloned from a Mandalorian, which led to most Mandalorians joining the Seps in outrage (except for a handful who'd already been hired as Officers by the Republic to train the clones, and even they weren't fond of the Jedi).

So, really, the Clone War was the Mandalorian War Round 2, complete with leading to the rise of a new Sith Lord? icon-waspy.gif