Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

Photo

Wii best selling console in North America

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#21 Bigbot

Bigbot
  • Citizen
  • 9769 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE(Korcas @ Jul 18 2008, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, remind me again, when was it officially decided that sales for the main console make it a good system?

I thought it was the games that decided, my bad. :|

Well done for getting the wrong end of the stick. The thread is called 'best selling' not best or good, and whatever the games are, the wii is now undeniably the best selling system.

#22 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5587 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:14 AM

Yeah this is not a shocker one bit. When you sell a Console, for much less than the competition, and then make it fun to play, which no one can really dispute, when playing with friends, it is a fun system, and add Name Recognition, it's going to sell.

I honestly believe the PS3 is the best system, at least the First run 60 Gig Models with full backwards Compatibility with PS1 and PS2 games, not to mention a Blueray player too boot.

But when I went to go buy that system, I had the PS3 that day. However with the Wii it took my Fiance over 2 months of searching and she never found one, and myself 4 days of hard searching before I found one. The Wii is very popular for many reasons.

This statistic is not shocking, and I do give props to The Big N, as I think from a Marketing Standpoint it was well conceived and well deserved.

Edited by RYNO, 18 July 2008 - 07:16 AM.

#23 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 40293 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:58 AM

I wonder what all these Wii owners are playing then considering 360 games have outsold Wii and PS3 games combined. Must be a lot of wii sports going on or a ton of them are sitting on Ebay or something.

QUOTE(Crazy Drummer? @ Jul 17 2008, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They certainly showed Sony and Microsoft how to play the console war game.

By having the cheapest system on the market and completely giving up on the gaming demographic?

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#24 Bigbot

Bigbot
  • Citizen
  • 9769 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(The Predaking @ Jul 18 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder what all these Wii owners are playing then considering 360 games have outsold Wii and PS3 games combined. Must be a lot of wii sports going on or a ton of them are sitting on Ebay or something.

By having the cheapest system on the market and completely giving up on the gaming demographic?

I can't speak for the US but over here a core 360 is ?159.99 and a wii is ?179.99 and it's still outselling 360's where I work

#25 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43589 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(The Predaking @ Jul 18 2008, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Wii actually has a LOT of good games. Granted, for each copy of "the godfather" there's a copy of "Jenga". Even ignoring the core brands for nintendo, there's no shortage of decent and respectable gameage.

You know what? I seriously don't get this. If you don't like the system, don't buy it. If you bought it and don't like it, sell it and move on already. Why keep whining about something so petty as some pretty lights on a TV screen. Fine, you got a hate on for nintendo/sony/microsoft/atari/yoo-hoo/pepsi/fire ants/dodge trucks/the general quality of road pavement, why come into a thread and be a downer when the people there like it fine. We get it already, you don't like it. We do, stop ruining our good time!
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#26 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48056 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Go Nintendo icon-hotrod.gif They certainly showed Sony and Microsoft how to play the console war game.

While I give props to Nintendo for finally getting their act together, you can't really say Nintendo's winning this Console War.

Because, in their own words, Nintendo isn't participating in the Console War any longer. It's why the Wii and DS have ceased as pure Gaming machines and have become quasi-appliances. Nintendo's diversifying its machines into the Apple of Gaming Companies.

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 18 2008, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sales of the console determine where the games go.

Doubtful. And that's not a slam on Nintendo, but let's face it - Modern day Gaming is about Graphical Horsepower. Let's not kid ourselves on this fact. Crysis' popularity stemmed solely from the fact it was such a gorgeous looking game that barely any rig beyond a super computer could run it at max settings. If it hadn't been for that, Crysis would have been yet another shooter in a sea of shooters.

Nintendo's Wii, while immensely popular and deserving all the games that come its way, will never achieve the same importance or status as the likes of the Xbox or Playstation simply because both those systems can handle more graphics and gameplay options. The fact the Xbox and Playstation are also fully Online consoles (Without the need for Friends Codes and the like), and again...developers are going to take advantage of those systems first.

Nintendo's got a lot going for them right now. The introduction of Wii Speak will go a long way in opening development doors for their console. But ultimately, I doubt we'll see a huge influx of popular games for the Nintendo system. Nintendo's taking baby steps, but it really is moving away from Gaming in general. I expect more games like Brain Age, WiiFit, and WiiSports then say Final Fantasy or Metal Gear.

And for Nintendo and their demographic, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Wii Sports + Three Other People = A damn good time.

#27 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(GC Rust @ Jul 18 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's why the Wii and DS have ceased as pure Gaming machines and have become quasi-appliances.

I think if you really want to be truthful you'd switch that around and put PS3
and 360 in there instead of Wii and DS. They are pure gaming machines and
focused on nothing else. Can you say the same of the 360 and PS3? Which
ones are really "quasi-appliances"?

Now, I own a 360 for all of its many features, and it is definitely a selling point
but it's really not fair to throw something out there that's just blatantly untrue.
Yep.

#28 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48056 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Jul 18 2008, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, I own a 360 for all of its many features, and it is definitely a selling point
but it's really not fair to throw something out there that's just blatantly untrue.

Huh?

The Playstation and Xbox are glorified computers.

The Wii and the DS have multipurpose functions to them. Brain Age is less a game and more a mental exercise, WiiFit is less a game and more a piece of exercise equipment. The DS GPS kiosks showing up in airports...

Saying the Wii and DS are quasi-appliances or that Nintendo is the Apple of the Gaming Industry is in no way a slam against the company. In fact, I applaud them for the ingenuity of it.

#29 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

Husband, Father, Front-End Web/Comms Guy, Podcaster

• Citizen
  • 15311 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(Omgiamonfire @ Jul 17 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here we go again. Can we we please stop with this console war bullcrap?

All camps have called a truce at my place, I own all the consoles icon-hotrod.gif

NerdSafariPodcast.com

Want to play games? Let's go!

• Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0088-4646-0809
  • XBOX Live ID: Matrix_Prime

#30 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

Husband, Father, Front-End Web/Comms Guy, Podcaster

• Citizen
  • 15311 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(GC Rust @ Jul 18 2008, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh?

The Wii and the DS have multipurpose functions to them. Brain Age is less a game and more a mental exercise, WiiFit is less a game and more a piece of exercise equipment. The DS GPS kiosks showing up in airports...

Saying the Wii and DS are quasi-appliances or that Nintendo is the Apple of the Gaming Industry is in no way a slam against the company. In fact, I applaud them for the ingenuity of it.

Uhhhh, ALL consolses/handhelds are glorified computers. And last I checked, all current-gen consoles are also multi-purpose as well.

NerdSafariPodcast.com

Want to play games? Let's go!

• Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0088-4646-0809
  • XBOX Live ID: Matrix_Prime

#31 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33613 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(GC Rust @ Jul 18 2008, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh?

"Appliance" generally means that it's a machine or a device suited for one particular purpose. The usage here being that 360 and PS3 are for hardcore gaming and that's it, thus they're appliances. Meanwhile, Nintendo has systems that are for a broader array of uses, making them not so much an appliance.

I think the way you originally meant it was you were implying that Nintendo's systems are less "game system" and instead can be described more broadly as "general household electronics."

I think you're both right, you just stumbled over the definition of "appliance" a little, but I hope that helps clear up any confusion.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#32 MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch

Handling lasers by hand

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

I'll get a Wii when Metal Gear Solid 4 is released for it. Never.
It's time to bring the crunch!

#33 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23159 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Jul 18 2008, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(GC Rust @ Jul 18 2008, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh?

"Appliance" generally means that it's a machine or a device suited for one particular purpose. The usage here being that 360 and PS3 are for hardcore gaming and that's it, thus they're appliances. Meanwhile, Nintendo has systems that are for a broader array of uses, making them not so much an appliance.

I think the way you originally meant it was you were implying that Nintendo's systems are less "game system" and instead can be described more broadly as "general household electronics."

I think you're both right, you just stumbled over the definition of "appliance" a little, but I hope that helps clear up any confusion.

Personally, I still don't understand the comparison, whatever term is used. The 360 and PS3 are the ones setting themselves up as multimedia devices. DVD/Blu-Ray playback, HD, Windows Media connection for videos and music, NetFlix, etc.

The Wii and DS are game systems alone. Each has a fairly gimpy web browser, and you can plug in an SD card to play pictures, but the Wii is hardly a media center like the other two. Brain Age and WiiFit are just as much games as Rock Band or DDR, but a Blu-Ray movie is definitely not a game.

So... yeah. I don't follow the point here.

#34 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Jul 17 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This doesn't surprise me at all.

In fact, the only reason the numbers are so low is because 70% of the people who want one can't find them still.

It makes me feel bad, because I'm not a Wii fan, and I can order them direct from Nintendo through work. We have access to as many as we want.

I bought one for my niece a month ago, but haven't really taken advantage of it like I should have.
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#35 FortMax

FortMax

Not Cybertron Metroplex or Mudflap

• Supporter
  • 4894 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

*starts digging for something to blackmail skankerzero with*

Are you going to be doing a promotion at GameStop's main offices any time soon?
QUOTE(Hasbro)
Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

TbtA3Ye.jpg
Buy my Mini-Pla Goseiger Candy Toy Zords!

#36 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(FortMax @ Jul 18 2008, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

we might do a promotion at a local Gamestop here in Lewisville.

And if you want a Wii, just ask. We should be getting another order together very soon.
The Wii and all the Wii devices are standard price. Nintendo stopped giving discounts to 3rd party developers. icon-kicker.gif

Edited by skankerzero, 18 July 2008 - 01:33 PM.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#37 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 40293 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(wonko the sane? @ Jul 18 2008, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(The Predaking @ Jul 18 2008, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Wii actually has a LOT of good games. Granted, for each copy of "the godfather" there's a copy of "Jenga". Even ignoring the core brands for nintendo, there's no shortage of decent and respectable gameage.

You know what? I seriously don't get this. If you don't like the system, don't buy it. If you bought it and don't like it, sell it and move on already. Why keep whining about something so petty as some pretty lights on a TV screen. Fine, you got a hate on for nintendo/sony/microsoft/atari/yoo-hoo/pepsi/fire ants/dodge trucks/the general quality of road pavement, why come into a thread and be a downer when the people there like it fine. We get it already, you don't like it. We do, stop ruining our good time!

I'm just voicing my opinion on the thing. I never said I didn't like the machine, I just said they gave up o the gamer market(which they have. They are trying to sell consoles to your grandma now), and they have the cheapest system out there(which I don't even count the joke of the Arcade/Core SKU, though I guess you could point that out. Regardless, the system is a lot cheaper than the Premium 360 and 40 GB PS3.) There are a few games out there for it that I want, but not enough for me to go out and buy it right now. I can like it and point out it's faults you know. People can be fans of something without being an unrealistic Zealot over it.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#38 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43589 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

They can try to sell a system to my grandma all they want. She's a tight assed bitch, and dead too.

And I wasn't necessarily referring to you predaking. Yes, you can like a system and still point out it's faults, but people like arsenal are intent on hating it, pointing out it's faults and trying to make every one else hate it to.
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#39 Crazy Drummer?

Crazy Drummer?

Mike!

• Citizen
  • 1311 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

im curious what you mean by this "I just said they gave up on the gamer market"

whats the "gamer market"?

#40 FortMax

FortMax

Not Cybertron Metroplex or Mudflap

• Supporter
  • 4894 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(skankerzero @ Jul 18 2008, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(FortMax @ Jul 18 2008, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

we might do a promotion at a local Gamestop here in Lewisville.

And if you want a Wii, just ask. We should be getting another order together very soon.
The Wii and all the Wii devices are standard price. Nintendo stopped giving discounts to 3rd party developers. icon-kicker.gif

I already have one. Plus, blackmailing you is free icon-waspy.gif Plus, I live about 10 miles from Gamestop's HQ.
QUOTE(Hasbro)
Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

TbtA3Ye.jpg
Buy my Mini-Pla Goseiger Candy Toy Zords!