Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

Photo

Konami to sue Viacom over Rock Band

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

• Supporter
  • 2514 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:36 AM

Link to Yahoo! article

Link to Bloomberg article

QUOTE(Yahoo! News)
Konami Sues Viacom Over Rock Band
Battle of the virtual bands shifts from the stage to the courthouse.
By Ben Silverman

We wanted a rock opera, not a soap opera.

According to a Bloomberg report, the one-time king of the music game genre has filed suit against Harmonix, MTV Networks and Viacom, claiming that the hit game Rock Band violates a variety of patents issued to Konami back in 2002 and 2003. These involve "simulated musical instruments, a music-game system and a musical-rhythm matching game."

If you think Konami is just digging for a cash settlement, you'd only be half-right. The Dance Dance Revolution masterminds are reportedly seeking financial compensation along with an order to block Harmonix from using any inventions covered by the patents, which presumably would include Rock Band's lauded peripherals. If it goes through, it could spell disaster for the breakout MTV music game franchise.

The suit is just the latest in a series of legal salvos between music video game makers. Several months back, guitar maker Gibson sued Viacom, Guitar Hero publisher Activision and a group of retailers over the violation of another suite of music game patents. Harmonix, meanwhile, claims to own its very own set of patents, making this quite the patent-holding headache.

Harmonix issued a terse response to the Konami suit.

"Konami's actions are extremely surprising. Unfortunately, successful products such as Rock Band can often become targets for baseless litigation," a company spokesperson said. "We have substantial defenses to this claim and intend to vigorously defend it."

Ironically, Konami has recently been criticized for jumping on the video game bandwagon after announcing Rock Revolution, an upcoming rhythm game inspired in large part by Rock Band itself. A Rock Band sequel is planned for release this September.

#2 tec

tec

Shhhh or she will take your yubi's

• Supporter
  • 32717 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:14 AM

uh Konamis had a rythim gutar based game for quite awaile I saw this comeing for quite some time and has evey right to sue

Edited by tec, 15 July 2008 - 03:15 AM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#3 PissOffLeftistTwats

PissOffLeftistTwats
  • Citizen
  • 13572 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:48 AM

It's equally likely that Konami will have its patents challenged and lose them. The patent office lets a lot of crap through that's not really patentable. For example Konami can have a patent on their guitar simulation controller, but not on the concept thereof (I mean seriously, it's a fake guitar prop, I made several out of plywood when I was a kid, gimme money Konami), or their style of rhythm game, but not the concept thereof, etc etc. For example, Sony lost the DualShock lawsuit because they actually reverse engineered the DualShock from Nintendo's Rumble Pak, not because Nintendo owns the idea of force feedback.

#4 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE(Dante @ Jul 15 2008, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For example, Sony lost the DualShock lawsuit because they actually reverse engineered the DualShock from Nintendo's Rumble Pak, not because Nintendo owns the idea of force feedback.

Nintendo's force-feedback devices use a solenoid to fire a weight back and forth linearly.

Dualshock uses a rotational motor with an off-balance weight, which was patented by the Immersion corporation as a means of doing force-feedback for a computing device.

Sony lost the Dualshock lawsuit to Immersion. Nintendo had nothing to do with it.

#5 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5609 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

Question is, WHY did it take Konami so long to sue? That's my biggest issue with cases like these. They seem to wait till the competition has pretty much locked up the market and THEN go and try to sue instead of catching it early. It's like they let Activision/EA test the NA/EU market for them and when they saw that band-style music games were a HUGE success, they THEN decided to sue on patent infringement while preparing their own title for the market.

Granted it's not quite as crazy as the whole Gibson vs. Activision patent lawsuit. Considering that Gibson had been licensing their guitar designs for use in Guitar Hero since the first game... You'd think their legal department would have had better communications with their licensing department.

#6 recharge138

recharge138

my gobot wheels are out of alignment does anyone else have this

• Citizen
  • 1053 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

They have every right to challenge their patents, and I have every right to boycott them if they cause my playing RB2 to be delayed.
Recharge

"Arguing With People on the Internet: The original MMORPG" - K. Thor Jensen

#7 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60174 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(Zedoben @ Jul 15 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question is, WHY did it take Konami so long to sue? That's my biggest issue with cases like these. They seem to wait till the competition has pretty much locked up the market and THEN go and try to sue instead of catching it early. It's like they let Activision/EA test the NA/EU market for them and when they saw that band-style music games were a HUGE success, they THEN decided to sue on patent infringement while preparing their own title for the market.

Granted it's not quite as crazy as the whole Gibson vs. Activision patent lawsuit. Considering that Gibson had been licensing their guitar designs for use in Guitar Hero since the first game... You'd think their legal department would have had better communications with their licensing department.

The more money a company makes in its sales, the more money you can claim is rightfully yours in a suit. That's why they wait. Same reason Marvel waited until CoH was at its peak before filing a suit against them.

#8 tec

tec

Shhhh or she will take your yubi's

• Supporter
  • 32717 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:48 PM

They also had to get there ducks in a row and get sertin documents in order

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#9 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 9598 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

On one hand, it's one large corporation suing another larger (MUCH larger) corporation. Nothing new there.

On the other hand, holy God I hate Viacom so freaking much it's not even funny, so I actually kind of hope Viacom loses something in this suit, be it face, finances, or something else.
Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#10 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5609 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

Yes, they had to get their research done before suing Viacom.... BUT.... They've known that other companies were working on such games BEFORE the original Guitar Hero even came out. It's rather obvious they simply waited for them to become successes before suing, which is really abusing the system, though in a legal way.

Same thing happened with the compression technologies used in .gif and .mp3 files.

#11 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8598 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:39 PM

Some are saying that waiting like this, while leading to a potentialy better financial outcome, can really hurt their case as well.

eh. im torn. Does Konami have the right to sue? Maybe, i mean i havnt seen the patents and im not a lawyer so even if i had seen em I coldnt tell if they were actualy valid or applicable.

On the other hand... 6? guitar hero games have come out so far, with a 7th on the way. Rockband has come out and has another on the way... Ive seen several other "guitar simulator" things come out includin that way to complicated standa lone one that has so many buttons the kid might as well be playing a real guitar... Seems like the lawsuit thing shoulda come up by now. Not defending their patents for so long cant go well in their favor as theres no way its taken this long to "get their ducks in a row"

eh, it will be intersting to see how this ends up. If they cant get an injunction against RB2 then it probably wont be delayed tho.

what i /really/ dont get is why after so much advancement in the series would Konami go ahead and put out a game that looks.. laughably bad against the competition? I have to wonder if they didnt think they could play with the big kids and then when they realized that they couldnt the finaly decided to try and take everyones ball's home so no one could play but them.