Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

Photo

Alone in the Dark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48060 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

So as a Birthday gift for myself, I decided to pick up the new "Alone in the Dark" game. I've not read any reviews of the game, but had heard some really neat things about it during development and was interested to check them out.

So...yeah.

The game itself is interesting. The story thus far is good and there have already been some genuine "Oh jive" moments. I find myself intrigued to discover more.

Which is good, because this game makes you do things with a controller that make no fricken sense.

Hotwiring Vehicles, Swinging brooms, firing weapons...all of it independent of anything else is just flat out neat (Especially hotwiring a vehicle on the seat of your pants, as there is no "pause" feature while doing these mini-games), but it requires you to be able to switch up your hands at a moment's notice. Instead of targeting an enemy with the shoulder button and swinging with a trigger button, you get to manually swing around the controller to make your character swing.

It made sense and felt natural in R.A.D. for the PS2 (Where you controlled a giant robot), here it makes combat extremely clunky. Especially when effective combat boils down to "Pick up Flammable Object/Light on Fire/Chase badguy around while object is extended to burn it to death".

And then there's the camera system. Alone in the Dark comes in two modes: First Person and Third Person. Neither modes helps much. In First Person, the character's floaty physics (He...SLIDES) really hampers problem solving, and in third person the camera becomes static. STATIC CAMERAS! Did the Echo Studios team learn nothing from the past few years of Survival/Horror games?

Oh and the game does little to make you love it to start with, where you have to constantly manually blink to keep your vision from being blurry (It's quickly dropped, but as the segment it's used for is designed to be the "Calm before the storm" as it were, it makes it really difficult to appreciate the subtle "Something's wrong here..." moments).

Also the game can't seem to decide if it's a traditional Survival Horror or a Platformer. Though in the games defense, the platforming segments are extremely well done and allow plenty of wiggle room for the game's floaty physics.

But the inventory system, the invention system, the set up, the atmosphere, the story...

There's a lot of good ideas in this game. It's just marred by a terrible, terrible execution. The control scheme almost makes the game unplayable. I suddenly see why they set the game up to be "skippable" to the end with the DVDesque menu.

I'm going to give it a little more time to impress me, but no matter how interested I am in the story or what's going on, if I find myself continuing to get frustrated with it, I'm probably going to just turn it into Gamestop, get some credit, and get me something else.

#2 (Deactivated) Arsenal

(Deactivated) Arsenal
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

I enjoyed Alone in the Dark quite a bit, I didn't bump into any of the horrible glitches and I could forgive the minor one, I really enjoyed the story and the awesome item system.

#3 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48060 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

Okay, Alone in the Dark has delivered for me. Understandably, the control scheme takes some getting used to, but once you are patient...things start clicking.

Another thing is I was approaching the game from the incorrect mindset. "Survival Horror" for me meant the likes of Silent Hill and Resident Evil, but those are more "Action" Survival Horror games. Alone in the Dark is a throwback to true Survival Horror. It's not about blasting all the monsters, it's about staying alive.

Also, all the Puzzles within the game are mortality based. No key cards here - but one misstep and it's back to trial and error. Thus the game gets repetitive, but like Myst and the Action games of the bygone era, you can't help but go "HA!" or "Oh...DUH!" when you finally solve the puzzle.

For example, a lot of the world of "Alone in the Dark" is destructable. When apparently stuck in a area, I simply took a bottle of liquid that explodes when shot, attached some double sided tape, tossed it on a door, shot it and...voila. Problem solved.

Humiliatingly, it took me 10 minutes to figure that out. And then another three to realize I could use the Dead Body my explosion exposed to put out the flames around my makeshift escape route.

Also, there's a real sense of entertainment when you load a saved game and you get a "Previously, on "Alone in the Dark"..." followed by cutscenes of all that has transpired in the game since your current location.

The story continues to enthrall, and the presentation of the story is absolutely masterful. There's a sequence in which you are in a taxi (Vehicle control is absolutely SOLID) and have to outrun a rampaging force that is literally tearing up the landscape around you. Like something out of a movie, it really hammers home the fact that this is a very nasty entity out to get you.

Once I got into more open areas, the third person camera also loosened up and become a traditional over the shoulder cam, it only pulls out and becomes static when there's something on the screen you need to see that you wouldn't otherwise.

All in all, I'm going to really dig "Alone in the Dark". The "Season of Television" DVD quality the game has lends it a unique identity, especially when it comes to story presentation. The storyline is enthralling, the gameplay is actually rather brilliant, if slightly flawed (At present, it's too damn easy to set something on fire to take care of enemies), and the Music.

Oh my Gawd, I could gush for days about the music. If you're a fan of chants, or just female vocalizations...the music adds a lot of flavor to the game.

#4 (Deactivated) Arsenal

(Deactivated) Arsenal
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

YOU SEE?
Alone in the Dark is vastly underrated. Rough around the edges but a great game and yes the soundtrack is EPIC.