Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

Photo

Games that don't live up to your expectations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#81 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Our defiance drives us straight to the edge

• Supporter
  • 47664 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:57 AM

I tried FF8 a while back and lost interest around the end of the second disk. This thread made me want to try it again (also, apparently, I bought a strategy guide for it at some point), but I can't find it. This leads me to think I either traded it in or lent it out and never got it back. Oh well.

#82 Crazy Drummer?

Crazy Drummer?

Mike!

• Citizen
  • 1311 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

Rock Band

was totally not what I was hoping it was gonna be. heres why i dont like it

-the guitar peripheral is horrible to play, i much prefer the extruded buttons, and clicky strum bar on the GH guitar, and if it werent for being able to use the GH guitar I wouldn't have even bothered with the guitar mode at all.
-the hammer on and pull offs are too hard to differ from the regular strum notes
-no "pro face off" mode where you just battle it out to see who wins.
-horrible online player matching system
-drums are so damn loud, thats all you can hear through the 360 wireless headsets on the other end
-peripherals break
-I cant stand that the song list is just one giant list instead of being broken up, and takes forever to navigate
-overall, way too easy of a game to beat, even on expert, I beat the guitar mode first time through each song except the last one, I failed once. And the drums first time through except running for the hills because I messed up the tempo change (I had never heard the song before, I didn't know how it went, but I beat it the second time through)

all and all, its an ok game, but my expectations were much much higher after already owning GH3. though, being the first edition, I gave it a break, and fully expect Rock Band 2 to blow me away.

#83 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23159 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Crazy Drummer? @ Jul 18 2008, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rock Band

was totally not what I was hoping it was gonna be. heres why i dont like it

-the guitar peripheral is horrible to play, i much prefer the extruded buttons, and clicky strum bar on the GH guitar, and if it werent for being able to use the GH guitar I wouldn't have even bothered with the guitar mode at all.
-the hammer on and pull offs are too hard to differ from the regular strum notes
-no "pro face off" mode where you just battle it out to see who wins.
-horrible online player matching system
-drums are so damn loud, thats all you can hear through the 360 wireless headsets on the other end
-peripherals break
-I cant stand that the song list is just one giant list instead of being broken up, and takes forever to navigate
-overall, way too easy of a game to beat, even on expert, I beat the guitar mode first time through each song except the last one, I failed once. And the drums first time through except running for the hills because I messed up the tempo change (I had never heard the song before, I didn't know how it went, but I beat it the second time through)

all and all, its an ok game, but my expectations were much much higher after already owning GH3. though, being the first edition, I gave it a break, and fully expect Rock Band 2 to blow me away.

Takes all kinds. Me, I love Rock Band, and after going through GHIII once, thought, "this is it?" Also, I hated the "boss battles"--I just wanted to rock out to songs I liked. RB is definitely more of a "party" game than a score-whore game, though, so I can see why someone who loved the GH series might not be too into it.

However... I don't know that you're going to be much more impressed by RB2. The guitar doesn't feel much different at all (there's no more "mush," but it still felt imprecise to me compared to the Les Paul), no bosses, dunno about online matching, dunno about breaking. However, the song list is much easier to sort and navigate (how is GHIII's list any better, BTW?), the solo mode is more nonlinear and varied like Band World Tour so it may be harder (and it'll definitely be longer), and the drums are at least a little bit quieter, so it might be enough of a change for you.

#84 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5516 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(⊂( ゚ ヮᦏ @ Jul 18 2008, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically, I'm saying that the trailer does give you an idea for the market for it.

It would be fun for those people. Just trying to help him understand that.

It changed nothing. The game looks ridiculous. I can see some people having fun with the RTS section. (I personally hate RTS games) But other then that I STILL don't see why this game is going to sell. I just don't GET why people find that kinda jive to be fun. Never will, like I said.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#85 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 18052 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

I suppose it's a test of your skills at managing stuff. icon-fire.gif

And the talk about Spore made me go dig up my copy of Sim City 3000. icon-fire.gif Weeee!

UnHImyv.png

#86 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5516 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(Wingus @ Jul 18 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose it's a test of your skills at managing stuff. icon-fire.gif

And the talk about Spore made me go dig up my copy of Sim City 3000. icon-fire.gif Weeee!

Heh, I suppose for me. Finding people who love games like Spore, could be the same like if you found someone who loved the taste of Brussel sprouts. You know it happens, but it baffels the HELL outta you.

Spoiler

#87 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36723 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(Internet Jesus @ Jul 18 2008, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(⊂( ゚ ヮᦏ @ Jul 16 2008, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Internet Jesus @ Jul 16 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Final Fantasy VIII.

I've played through it Six times or so now, each time trying to find SOMETHING redeeming about the characters and finding nothing worthwhile.

The magic system is bulljive, too.

And as for Final Fantasy VI/III? I think it's nostalgia-goggles. Kefka's awesome, but it's just not the be-all and end-all Final Fantasy many, many fans make it out to be, ESPECIALLY after the juggernaut of popularity Final Fantasy VII enjoyed.

BUT BUT BUT Squall is my favourite FF boy D=

Whiny emo-boy who hates everything except this one girl who kinda reminds him of his mom but is a total spaz?

Worst protagonist ever.

Biggest disappointment about FF8: Squall lived. I cheered SO hard at the end of the Disk and it end with him being pierced by that large shard of ice. Just the though of having someone else take him place made me eager for the rest of the game. And yet, he lived. icon-screamer.gif

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#88 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

I liked Squall.

He felt so normal in a world of heroes. It was like, he just avoided all the anger (Zell) and despair (Selphie) and compassion (Rinoa).
He just shut up and did his job.

It was so compelling to me. It was like a superhero team led by Sarcastro.

And even he changed, even he fell in love. He wasn't a cold bastard, he was still human under all that apathy.

And "...Whatever." is still the best line in a Final Fantasy game, IMO. (Apart from FF3US with the Ghost Train boss using "Evil Toot".)

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#89 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36723 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

"...Whatever" is in no way better then "YOU SPOONY BARD!". Not even in the same ballpark, let alone city, as it.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#90 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5516 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

The thing about Squall was he was afraid to let people get close to him. So he acted that way to prevent them from getting close. He was afraid that if he let someone 'in' he'd end up hurting them.

I'm not saying you need to like him, but that's the way he was. I understood this stand of his all too well. Rinoa however, saw past his 'wall' and managed to break it down and get him to open up. This is one of the things I loved about the game so much.

Course you'll all go on hating him anyway. But that's fine. I do the same thing with the whiner that is Kefka.

Spoiler

#91 megamagnusagain

megamagnusagain

a winner is you

• Citizen
  • 1984 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

Little Big Planet? months before it even comes out. Named best of E3 by g4. I know its important for the industry to see sony survive and to flourish but come on its just a cheesy sidescroller with create your own levels feature.

Edited by megamagnus4ever, 19 July 2008 - 12:49 PM.

aka megamagnus, aka skidsmark

#92 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

CHAOS! You got a one way ticket to CHAOS! CHAOS!

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:05 AM

Hated Majora's Mask with a firey passion. I don't know if I forgot how to play Zelda... I'm pretty sure it plays about the same as Ocarina of Time, and I loved OoT but I HATED this one. Everything about it pissed me off. The time limits, resetting my progress (well, I guess that was due to not getting anywhere within the time limits), the disturbing looking/sounding people.
I remember trying to give a potion to an old witch for a quest. The game tells you how to give it to her, and yet it doesn't tell you WHEN. I'm pretty sure I saw the icon in the dialog window for "press this to continue" and so I'd do that and then follow the instructions of pressing the button they told me to press to give it to her, only instead I would drink it. I had to press it WHILE the dialog window was up. Agonizing how many times I repeated that quest before I figured that out. What was great was how Link would taunt me each time, but pausing for a fraction of a second as he held the bottle out in front of himself, right in the witch's face before downing the thing like the sadistic lush he is.
Oh, and the spawning of Tingle, the Zelda universe's Teletubby. Ok, he only looks and creeps you out like a Teletubby, except he's got the face of an eccentric over-the-top gay mustached man. It's like biting into a block of sugar... ice... chalkboard. sugar-ice-chalkboard! It's just too gay. If Walky put Tingle on the cover of his Shortpacked book 3, I would tell him it's too gay, and I want to totally gay up my livingroom by having it on my theoretical coffee table, to spread the gay agenda to guests who visit.

Rainbow Six. I really wanted to play that game. It sounded so cool. tactics. I don't think the tutorials ever showed me how to give the right signals to my teammates. I understood it wasn't a typical FPS "rush in guns blazing" type of game. I just couldn't figure out how to do anything other than get shot instantly.

CounterStrike. TFC was my game. Defending or attacking, I could pick my role. (usually defending got me a lot more kills) I had a safe place and a dangerous place. It was nice to know where everything was. Not so with CS.

StarCraft. Oh, I played it. I played the hell out of it. But I never really "got it". I never learned how to play. I couldn't micromanage for jive. I couldn't play against human players. All I could do was play maps that were easy to defend. Seal a narrow passage with supply depots, bunkers behind them. siege tanks. and pray there's enough resources, or you're able to drop-ship in to another easily defendable spot. the computer either gives up, or... well there was that insane expansion pack AI that was really hard to beat... if he got too powerful our usual "fleet of battlecruisers" wasn't enough, because he'd red-goo us. and keeping a fleet of medics around ... and trying to heal every single one of 12 cruisers was really difficult.
I just have no interest in the hectic pace and gazillion different actions you could take in those complex strategies.

MMORPGs... uhg. I've played plenty of them. I think the problem is that I'm not good at the social interaction, especially in such a limited interaction. (hahah. this coming from a guy who spends more time talking to people online than in real life. shut up.) that's really key to grouping, getting into a guild... stuff you need in order to play.
EverQuest was not a game you could solo past a certain level. My poor Iksar monk struggled alone in the caves at level 45.
I dunno... I always feel so lost and alone in a MMORPG... for some reason I just don't know ... anything. What does it matter if I join someone for something or not? and then sometimes you do go with people, and it's a complete mess. you don't have healers or tanks, and you're just barely surviving. and no one knows where they're going. and people joining never show up.
and YOU don't know what you're doing either. You're just struggling to keep up with everyone. and then the guy leading you through finishes the dungeon. and then you find out you missed a step. and 20 levels later you still can't find a group to go back and there's no point to going back because the quests are greyed out. icon-waspy.gif
and Ryzom... Ryzom was not a good game for giving you direction and purpose. There were no quests. well there were a few. not enough to occupy the majority of your time playing though.

One of these days I wish they'd make an MMORPG that addresses all my concerns about real life. It offers you direction and purpose if you need it, but also gives you freedom to do what you want in ways that actually matter. rather than just the freedom to not do a quest, or the freedom to walk in two dimensions. or the freedom to wear different combinations of clothing. woo. although chosing outfits is nice, it's very difficult to do when also dealing with practical stats.

#93 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8598 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

Most games it seems like. I hate a lot of the titles everyone raves about.

Tho my most recent dissapointment was Lost Odyessy. I had heard it was actualy a very good RPG and finally got enough free time to start up on a new RPG game so i thought i would try it... couldnt even finish the first disk before i lost total intrest in the game. Usualy i would just power through a game even if i hated it just so i could see the end but after getting a DRE I just kinda couldnt find the desire to redo the section i lost my progress on and called it quits.

Throwing in my 2 cents about Spore.
I basicaly want this game because it reminds me heavily of one of my favorite SNES games of all time, E.V.O. But with the added bonus of intergalactic cruelity towards other peoples life forms.

mmmh... sweet sweet death from above followed by eventual detonation of a planet full of some persons lovingly crafted sentient life forms.. so good.

Put me in with the camp that loved FF8. Only reason I dont play it every now and again anymore is that Disc 2 got huge gashes put in it when one of the tabs from my PS1 broke off in the tray and wedged itself between the disk and the base of the drive. Now whenever it tries to load the witches Parade it locks up :/ I could never find a new copy of the game and plus at the time i really could afford to go buy one anyways.

Edited by Murry the Evil Skull, 20 July 2008 - 09:35 AM.