Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Stepwise : (04 March 2021 - 09:07 PM)

Wonko - I'm really sorry - I've been in that spot where everything is falling apart at the same time.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 March 2021 - 04:49 PM)

a minivan which NOW sounds like it's on it's last legs. Christ, why is everything breaking now?!?!?

@  wonko the sane? : (04 March 2021 - 02:45 PM)

He's willing, but it's our parents minivan, and I'm half the labour.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 March 2021 - 02:34 PM)

Like anything; if they're willing to haul it away it's theirs.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 March 2021 - 12:44 PM)

And now my brother wants the old fridge, so instead of letting the delivery folk deal with it, I need to move it.

@  NovaSaber : (04 March 2021 - 11:53 AM)

I take objection to the idea that public health is "politics" just because some politicians don't listen to the experts.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:59 AM)

I was only replying to the general sentiment of the last three posts before mine.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:58 AM)

The person you replied to specifically gave the example of "limiting the amount of people in a facility".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:58 AM)

This wasn't about "lock[ing] everyone in the country down".

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:57 AM)

All I'm saying is there are lockdown and anti-lockdown people and hashing it out in the shoutbox on a toy forum is dumb.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:56 AM)

You don't have to lock everyone in the country down to mitigate risks in one population.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:56 AM)

Of course older people have it worse, but America is one of those countries where people ship their old people to homes far away from the action anyways.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:55 AM)

What ar you even trying to say, anyway? That we shouldn't complain about others increasing the danger more than necessary?

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:55 AM)

Frankly, there's a lot to say on this issue that can't be encompassed on the shoutbox and I really really don't want to have to deal with politics every single time I check the forums.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:54 AM)

To claim that this is about the people in the 20-40 range is also disingenuous.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:53 AM)

Essential workers and such are pretty fit on average which is an extra boon for them.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:51 AM)

It's not really a personal choice issue, it's a risk versus well, anything you want to do issue. Literally leaving the house results in potential exposure, mask or no. Overall, most of us who hang out here are 20-40, and our survival rate is comparable with some pretty out there statistics.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:39 AM)

Anybody who has to go out because of work or groceries or whatever can't just choose to avoid any potential disease-spreaders, for one thing.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:38 AM)

Kind of disingenuous to frame this as just a personal choice issue.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:22 AM)

This whole "I can't handle people not me having the choice to not put on masks" thing's a bit much.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 March 2021 - 09:14 AM)

Hey, Florida is one of the most infected states, and we won't even shut down. We may use masks, but restaurants, clubs, you name it, those are still wide open. Also, what's limiting the amount of people in a facility again? :p

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 March 2021 - 08:57 PM)

Oklahoma is right there, apparently. Dang bible belt. Nice people, but not the smartest cookies I've seen.

@  Hg Dragon : (03 March 2021 - 08:52 PM)

Don't worry! COME TO TEXAS WHERE OUR IDIOT GOVENOR DECALRED THE STATE 100% OPEN AND ENDED THE MASK MANDATE!!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 March 2021 - 04:21 PM)

Beyond just the not even being able to walk into most stores

@  wonko the sane? : (03 March 2021 - 04:21 PM)

No kidding, but right now: unless it's physically on the shelf in front of you: there's no clear idea when it'll be available. And that goes for just about everything.

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 March 2021 - 04:18 PM)

I've heard new appliances are hard to get, for some reason

@  wonko the sane? : (03 March 2021 - 04:13 PM)

And the new one we settled on is backlogged up to two months. Even better.

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 March 2021 - 11:59 AM)

I mean, it's not all bad. Disney's releasing Speed remastered on 4K

@  wonko the sane? : (03 March 2021 - 08:48 AM)

And now the fridge has died. So far 2021 has been WONDERFUL.

@  Hg Dragon : (01 March 2021 - 08:49 PM)

I'm upset I can't "Like" a shout...

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 February 2021 - 09:39 AM)

The US election? *rimshot*

@  Paladin : (28 February 2021 - 09:19 AM)

WHICH 2016 clown panic?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 February 2021 - 07:22 AM)

Didn't that come right after the 2016 clown panic? No way to make clowns not disturbing at the time, surely.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:26 AM)

The clown guise is supposed to lure kids in, it's no good if it looks sus in one glance.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:15 AM)

The new one tries too hard to be unsettling from the start. Curry's look is just a plain old clown, until he very much is not.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:14 AM)

And Curry has a far more disturbing look at times than the newbie.

@  Sabrblade : (28 February 2021 - 02:22 AM)

And the original was a showcase of Tim Curry's delightfulness as an actor. 'Nuff said.

@  unluckiness : (27 February 2021 - 10:19 PM)

first one was a decent horror flick but the second was a mess plotwise and even the scares were worse

@  tigerhawk : (27 February 2021 - 04:57 PM)

Never understood the hype for the IT movies, too many floppy zombie chases, They're not in the least unsettling.

@  Maruten : (25 February 2021 - 06:00 PM)

It's better than the last one!

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 February 2021 - 11:30 AM)

The new Wizards of the Coast logo looks stupid

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 February 2021 - 11:29 AM)

It's really rather shocking watching the Investor Day presentation and seeing how much Hasbro actually owns now.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 February 2021 - 10:26 AM)

If everyone had COMMON SENSE, then things would maybe go a little better-

@  repowers : (24 February 2021 - 05:33 PM)

If everyone would just have the exact same opinions as me then we wouldn't have this problem

@  Kalidor : (24 February 2021 - 01:49 PM)

It just depends on what it is. It is preferable to take it to P&R though. But sometimes current news as it's happening is less restrictive.

@  fourteenwings : (24 February 2021 - 12:18 AM)

Huh, good point (x3)

@  ▲ndrusi : (23 February 2021 - 11:46 AM)

Yeah. 1. People treat it like Twitter. 2. There's no "take it to P&R" since there's no P&R for the Shoutbox. 3. There's similarly no way to avoid either subjects or people in the Shoutbox since there's no division and it doesn't respect the ignore function, so people end up engaging when they normally wouldn't.

@  fourteenwings : (23 February 2021 - 10:56 AM)

Is there something about the Shoutbox that just means we get politics taking over the thing at least once a week?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2021 - 08:26 AM)

At least your government is willing to talk about the collapsing medicare system. In quebec, their ignoring it in favour of talking about language again! Oh, and unconstitutionally denying access to eduction.

@  Shockwave 75 : (23 February 2021 - 07:52 AM)

At least here in my home province of Ontario we have a conservative gov't who doesn't want to cuz $$$$, but the argument is that they'll end up paying in medical care anyways for those sick people so why not?

Photo

Games that don't live up to your expectations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#61 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11336 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:52 AM

Yes really.. And like Transformers energon took almost everything from other transformers.. FF7 took almost everything from other RPGS.. but didn't do them near as well.

#62 lonegamer8

lonegamer8

Handsome afthead, ain't he? *tries not to start fangirling*

• Retired Staff
  • 9463 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

LoZ: Minish Cap was the ONLY Zelda game I ever completed, but I still didn't get into it; on the flip side, I've played Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age more than 3 times. Camelot, we're waaaiiiitinnng~!

Pokemon... Well, after Yellow, it died on me. Sis says that Crystal/Gold/Silver was her favorites. I'm "meh".

Two of my pals enjoy most of the Super Robot Wars series, even if it means blowing their wallets on importing them (one bud in particular), and while I like the giant mecha plus their kick-aft-over-the-top-super-purdy-special-attack animation, it didn't appeal to me. Oddly, I'm enjoy Namco X Capcom (pronounced "cross", not letter "x").

My works! Lemme show you 'em!

Avatar base courtesy of Wombat King <- not at the moment

Allspark's August Reading List 2007 - "Sides"
Allspark's July Fic Challenge 2007 "Red Carpet" winner - "Blue Carpet"
The NEW TFWiki!
Henkei! Henkei! Transformers pack-in comic summaries.
Henkei! Henkei! Transformers monthly manga summaries.

#63 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36524 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 16 2008, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes really.. And like Transformers energon took almost everything from other transformers.. FF7 took almost everything from other RPGS.. but didn't do them near as well.

So, you're essentially saying... Final Fantasy 7 is one of several Final Fantasy RPGs just like Transformers Energon is one of several Transformers series. And they're borrowing elements from others in their series. Um... duh?

Well, liking/disliking of gameplay and storyline is personal preference, so that's useless to debate. But comparing it to Energon is completely off-base. That's like comparing Gurren Lagann with Yugioh.

#64 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11336 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:47 AM

No. I'm saying.. FF7, Unlike other FFs didn't bring -anything- to the table that wasn't done a hundred diffrent times, and better in RPGS. Just like Energon didn't bring anything that hadn't been done before, and better in other TFs.

#65 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36524 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:50 AM

Then what about the materia system?

#66 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5734 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(⊂( ゚ ヮᦏ @ Jul 16 2008, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Internet Jesus @ Jul 16 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Final Fantasy VIII.

I've played through it Six times or so now, each time trying to find SOMETHING redeeming about the characters and finding nothing worthwhile.

The magic system is bulljive, too.

And as for Final Fantasy VI/III? I think it's nostalgia-goggles. Kefka's awesome, but it's just not the be-all and end-all Final Fantasy many, many fans make it out to be, ESPECIALLY after the juggernaut of popularity Final Fantasy VII enjoyed.

BUT BUT BUT Squall is my favourite FF boy D=

You're not alone. Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite Final Fantasy dus far. Squall is awsome. I think many of the haters just don't get his personality. Funny enough, Rinoa is my favorite FF girl. :P

I was also one of those people who loved the Junction system. I also VERY MUCH miss the 'boost' ability for summons. (Also The Ragnarok airship is the COOLEST friggen airship from FF ever. No exceptions)

As for Final Fantasy VII. I liked it. Not my favorite RPG, but I had fun. It helps that I'm a Sephiroth fanboy.

Then again I'm weird since my favorite FFVII babe is Yuffie believe it or not. Tifa was... ok. Aeris died halfway through, so I think I didn't judge her.

Haven't played many of the Final Fantasy's out there yet. I still need to play: The 'actual' Final Fantasy II, and III. Final Fantasy V, and even Final Fantasy X.

My least favorite is VI. Sorry but I hate Kefka with a passion.

EDIT: PS: I better not hear "OMG You spoiled FF7 for me!" If you didn't know of THAT plot twist by now, you've been under a rock for the last ten years.

Edited by videomaster21XX, 16 July 2008 - 06:04 AM.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#67 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11336 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

As for the Materia system.. I consider it a worse version of FFVIs system.

And the death scene is still a blatent rippoff of PS2.

#68 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36524 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

But does borrowing elements from previous works really make something horrible? Movies do it, music does it, games do it. I, personally, thought the materia system was well-done, the storyline and the characters were interesting, and the gameplay overall was fun.

I'll agree that it doesn't live up to the hype. Very few things do, when they're hyped to the point that FF7 has been, with the rabid fandom and such. Kind of like Naruto or Bleach. Decently good shows that get overhyped to the point that it suddenly becomes cool to hate them just because they're so hyped.

#69 Destron D-69

Destron D-69
  • Supporter
  • 63687 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

Final Fantasy 12... I don't think I've finished the first major quest yet... just too damn boring.

Never got the FPS craze or the GTA sandbox shooter craze... or the OH MYGOOD WW2AGAIN craze

#70 OctopusPrime

OctopusPrime

TOP of the Morning!

• Validating
  • 2374 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Jul 16 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Final Fantasy 12... I don't think I've finished the first major quest yet... just too damn boring.

Never got the FPS craze or the GTA sandbox shooter craze... or the OH MYGOOD WW2AGAIN craze

In fairness, the WW2 craze is more due to a lack of creativity then an actual demand for more games based on World War 2.

Bread is Pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something

#71 megamagnusagain

megamagnusagain

a winner is you

• Citizen
  • 1984 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

Doom 3 , all I heard was how great it looked, played it and didn't get what all the fuss was about.

aka megamagnus, aka skidsmark

#72 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6630 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:21 PM

Pretty much any WW2 shooter. enough already, give me creative scenarios. COD4, yes, COD5, no.

Wait, wait. The next Call of Duty is going to take place in the criminally neglected Pacific Theater against an enemy who will be different from the Nazis in their combat tactics... and you whine about repetetive, uncreative WW2 games? icon-primal.gif Personally, settings don't bother me. I've played most of the Medal of Honor games, Call of Duty, and plenty of other WW2 games and I still enjoy them quite a bit. The biggest factor is I think they're quality games that happen to take place in WW2, but I'm certainly not bored of that setting yet.

I've played through it Six times or so now, each time trying to find SOMETHING redeeming about the characters and finding nothing worthwhile.

Agreed, for the most part. I played it once before and lost interest. This time I managed to get near the end of the second disc and lost interest again. I was fairly happy with it until Squall gets command of the Garden. The story and characters just don't do much for me, especially the lame villains. Part of it might be because Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game of all time and its sequel just pales in almost every way.

Grand Theft Auto 4

I've gone on about this in other threads, so I'll just say it is a very disappointing game. My friends and I don't even like to play it anymore. It sucks the fun out of the room like a current Simpsons episode. When we played a little bit last week it left me bored and drowsy. Its universal praise and ridiculous 10/10 reviews make me believe Rockstar has bribed everyone and everything. I'm not wrong - you're all wrong!

Super Smash Bros

The latest one for Wii. Aside from the "ZOMG! I've played the games this fight stage is set in" factor I don't particularly like it. Doesn't help that my nephew owns me at it. The same ten year old nephew who is absolutely terrible at every computer and non-Wii console game we play. As if I needed anymore proof the Wii is a joke. icon-megs.gif

The first series of .hack games

".hack//SIGN" is my favorite anime, so I was of course super eager to play the games. Now, I had fun, but I was expecting the storyline and characters to match up with the quality of the series... The enemy is virtually a non-entity. Kind of a shame, a lot of wasted potential there.

Oblivion

There's a lot I like about the game. But I think I tilt in the "don't like" column. I can't quite put my finger on why. I had absolutely no interest in the actual story and the game didn't quite live up to the sandbox roaming play, maybe that's why. Hmm. Definitely love to see a sequel, though, I think they're on the right track.

Counter-Strike

I played it once and never touched it again. Then Counter-Strike Source came out.

Ah, Source![/swooning] Can't understand the dinosaur diehards who stick with the original.

Edited by Teufel, 17 July 2008 - 10:28 PM.

#73 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6630 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(videomaster21XX @ Jul 14 2008, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One game that's not even really OUT yet that I don't get is Spore. I mean honestly I'm suppose to take care of a creature, then the enviornment, then more and more stuff? And that's the game?

That sounds stupid and boring as HELL. Why do these things sell? I've never understood the Sim games.

You control and guide a species in its long climb from the swamp to the stars. You have a direct role in its evolution from a singe-celled organism to a space-faring species that spans worlds. If that premise doesn't electrify you to your core, I contend you don't have a soul. icon-waspy.gif

#74 son of unicron

son of unicron
  • Citizen
  • 15291 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

yeah i gotta agree about ff8, my wife loves it for some reason.. but damn. the characters are like damp un-buttered toast.. just.. unapealing and dull.

love me some 7 and 9 though.

cant play 7 anymore.. just too damn ugly.

#75 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(Teufel @ Jul 17 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One game that's not even really OUT yet that I don't get is Spore. I mean honestly I'm suppose to take care of a creature, then the enviornment, then more and more stuff? And that's the game?

That sounds stupid and boring as HELL. Why do these things sell? I've never understood the Sim games.

You control and guide a species in its long climb from the swamp to the stars. You have a direct role in its evolution from a singe-celled organism to a space-faring species that spans worlds. If that premise doesn't electrify you to your core, I contend you don't have a soul. icon-waspy.gif

What the hell? How is this suppose to electrify me to my soul? Look I cried at the end of the Air Anime. TRUST ME. I have a soul. But this game. This piece of uninteresting crap.

Ok So I control and guide a species in it's long (IE BORING) climb from the swamp to the stars. WHY SHOULD I CARE? It's not a real creature it's a game. A not very fun one. I've tried to play Sim games before. It's always:

Pay attension to these things, then build stuff to change those things. I gotta tell you. I'd never want someone like the goverment comming to me and telling me I'm going to be responsible for an entire city. Even if they were like "Don't worry about how things go, we don't mind if this city crumbles" I have no desire to be in crontrol of an entire city and it's needs. Seems more trouble then it's worth, and that's exactly what these games are.

More trouble then they're worth. Yes I realize I'm judging Spore before it's even out, but I fail to see it being much different then most sim type games. So why are these popular? Is it because people like to pretend they are rich? Or a god?

It will NEVER make sense to me.

(And dang it, FFVIII is awsome. >_<)

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#76 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

I remember the first time playing Sim City, I thought the point was to destroy the city.

Fun for a few minutes, but lost interest, especially once I found out what the actual point was. Popped in King of the Monsters instead, and even though it's harder than Goldar's nuts to pin the enemy, had a lot more fun. I tied Simcity again a few years back, but still enjoyed a random monster or UFO attack more than actually building a city.

About the only Sim game I ever liked was Simant. That was awesome, mainly because you had more direct control. Even though you could switch to any other ant at will, it had a more "game" feeling to it.

#77 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(videomaster21XX @ Jul 18 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Teufel @ Jul 17 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the hell? How is this suppose to electrify me to my soul? Look I cried at the end of the Air Anime. TRUST ME. I have a soul. But this game. This piece of uninteresting crap.

Ok So I control and guide a species in it's long (IE BORING) climb from the swamp to the stars. WHY SHOULD I CARE? It's not a real creature it's a game. A not very fun one. I've tried to play Sim games before. It's always:

Pay attension to these things, then build stuff to change those things. I gotta tell you. I'd never want someone like the goverment comming to me and telling me I'm going to be responsible for an entire city. Even if they were like "Don't worry about how things go, we don't mind if this city crumbles" I have no desire to be in crontrol of an entire city and it's needs. Seems more trouble then it's worth, and that's exactly what these games are.

More trouble then they're worth. Yes I realize I'm judging Spore before it's even out, but I fail to see it being much different then most sim type games. So why are these popular? Is it because people like to pretend they are rich? Or a god?

It will NEVER make sense to me.

(And dang it, FFVIII is awsome. >_<)

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#78 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:51 AM

I don't really think that's going to improve his opinion of the game, considering it pretty much shows off everything he's complaining about.

I have not really been following the game myself, but that seems to present it as a more creative RTS.

#79 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:14 AM

Basically, I'm saying that the trailer does give you an idea for the market for it.

It would be fun for those people. Just trying to help him understand that.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#80 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22363 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(⊂( ゚ ヮᦏ @ Jul 16 2008, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Internet Jesus @ Jul 16 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And as for Final Fantasy VI/III? I think it's nostalgia-goggles. Kefka's awesome, but it's just not the be-all and end-all Final Fantasy many, many fans make it out to be, ESPECIALLY after the juggernaut of popularity Final Fantasy VII enjoyed.

BUT BUT BUT Squall is my favourite FF boy D=

Whiny emo-boy who hates everything except this one girl who kinda reminds him of his mom but is a total spaz?

Worst protagonist ever.

Now WARD was the best character in that game. Just because he doesn't open his mouth and ruin himself.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.