Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 September 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Runamuck, Fasttrack, Sunstreaker, and Trailbreaker.

@  Nevermore : (22 September 2020 - 06:13 AM)

Cardboard and plastic.

@  Paladin : (22 September 2020 - 05:52 AM)

what's IN Wave 3, anyway?

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

Photo

Games that don't live up to your expectations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#61 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11274 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:52 AM

Yes really.. And like Transformers energon took almost everything from other transformers.. FF7 took almost everything from other RPGS.. but didn't do them near as well.

#62 lonegamer8

lonegamer8

Handsome afthead, ain't he? *tries not to start fangirling*

• Retired Staff
  • 9463 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

LoZ: Minish Cap was the ONLY Zelda game I ever completed, but I still didn't get into it; on the flip side, I've played Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age more than 3 times. Camelot, we're waaaiiiitinnng~!

Pokemon... Well, after Yellow, it died on me. Sis says that Crystal/Gold/Silver was her favorites. I'm "meh".

Two of my pals enjoy most of the Super Robot Wars series, even if it means blowing their wallets on importing them (one bud in particular), and while I like the giant mecha plus their kick-aft-over-the-top-super-purdy-special-attack animation, it didn't appeal to me. Oddly, I'm enjoy Namco X Capcom (pronounced "cross", not letter "x").

My works! Lemme show you 'em!

Avatar base courtesy of Wombat King <- not at the moment

Allspark's August Reading List 2007 - "Sides"
Allspark's July Fic Challenge 2007 "Red Carpet" winner - "Blue Carpet"
The NEW TFWiki!
Henkei! Henkei! Transformers pack-in comic summaries.
Henkei! Henkei! Transformers monthly manga summaries.

#63 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36133 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 16 2008, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes really.. And like Transformers energon took almost everything from other transformers.. FF7 took almost everything from other RPGS.. but didn't do them near as well.

So, you're essentially saying... Final Fantasy 7 is one of several Final Fantasy RPGs just like Transformers Energon is one of several Transformers series. And they're borrowing elements from others in their series. Um... duh?

Well, liking/disliking of gameplay and storyline is personal preference, so that's useless to debate. But comparing it to Energon is completely off-base. That's like comparing Gurren Lagann with Yugioh.

#64 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11274 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:47 AM

No. I'm saying.. FF7, Unlike other FFs didn't bring -anything- to the table that wasn't done a hundred diffrent times, and better in RPGS. Just like Energon didn't bring anything that hadn't been done before, and better in other TFs.

#65 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36133 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:50 AM

Then what about the materia system?

#66 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5541 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(⊂( ゚ ヮᦏ @ Jul 16 2008, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Internet Jesus @ Jul 16 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Final Fantasy VIII.

I've played through it Six times or so now, each time trying to find SOMETHING redeeming about the characters and finding nothing worthwhile.

The magic system is bulljive, too.

And as for Final Fantasy VI/III? I think it's nostalgia-goggles. Kefka's awesome, but it's just not the be-all and end-all Final Fantasy many, many fans make it out to be, ESPECIALLY after the juggernaut of popularity Final Fantasy VII enjoyed.

BUT BUT BUT Squall is my favourite FF boy D=

You're not alone. Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite Final Fantasy dus far. Squall is awsome. I think many of the haters just don't get his personality. Funny enough, Rinoa is my favorite FF girl. :P

I was also one of those people who loved the Junction system. I also VERY MUCH miss the 'boost' ability for summons. (Also The Ragnarok airship is the COOLEST friggen airship from FF ever. No exceptions)

As for Final Fantasy VII. I liked it. Not my favorite RPG, but I had fun. It helps that I'm a Sephiroth fanboy.

Then again I'm weird since my favorite FFVII babe is Yuffie believe it or not. Tifa was... ok. Aeris died halfway through, so I think I didn't judge her.

Haven't played many of the Final Fantasy's out there yet. I still need to play: The 'actual' Final Fantasy II, and III. Final Fantasy V, and even Final Fantasy X.

My least favorite is VI. Sorry but I hate Kefka with a passion.

EDIT: PS: I better not hear "OMG You spoiled FF7 for me!" If you didn't know of THAT plot twist by now, you've been under a rock for the last ten years.

Edited by videomaster21XX, 16 July 2008 - 06:04 AM.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#67 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11274 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

As for the Materia system.. I consider it a worse version of FFVIs system.

And the death scene is still a blatent rippoff of PS2.

#68 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36133 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

But does borrowing elements from previous works really make something horrible? Movies do it, music does it, games do it. I, personally, thought the materia system was well-done, the storyline and the characters were interesting, and the gameplay overall was fun.

I'll agree that it doesn't live up to the hype. Very few things do, when they're hyped to the point that FF7 has been, with the rabid fandom and such. Kind of like Naruto or Bleach. Decently good shows that get overhyped to the point that it suddenly becomes cool to hate them just because they're so hyped.

#69 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63387 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

Final Fantasy 12... I don't think I've finished the first major quest yet... just too damn boring.

Never got the FPS craze or the GTA sandbox shooter craze... or the OH MYGOOD WW2AGAIN craze

#70 OctopusPrime

OctopusPrime

TOP of the Morning!

• Validating
  • 2374 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Jul 16 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Final Fantasy 12... I don't think I've finished the first major quest yet... just too damn boring.

Never got the FPS craze or the GTA sandbox shooter craze... or the OH MYGOOD WW2AGAIN craze

In fairness, the WW2 craze is more due to a lack of creativity then an actual demand for more games based on World War 2.

Bread is Pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something

#71 megamagnusagain

megamagnusagain

a winner is you

• Citizen
  • 1984 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

Doom 3 , all I heard was how great it looked, played it and didn't get what all the fuss was about.

aka megamagnus, aka skidsmark

#72 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6508 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:21 PM

Pretty much any WW2 shooter. enough already, give me creative scenarios. COD4, yes, COD5, no.

Wait, wait. The next Call of Duty is going to take place in the criminally neglected Pacific Theater against an enemy who will be different from the Nazis in their combat tactics... and you whine about repetetive, uncreative WW2 games? icon-primal.gif Personally, settings don't bother me. I've played most of the Medal of Honor games, Call of Duty, and plenty of other WW2 games and I still enjoy them quite a bit. The biggest factor is I think they're quality games that happen to take place in WW2, but I'm certainly not bored of that setting yet.

I've played through it Six times or so now, each time trying to find SOMETHING redeeming about the characters and finding nothing worthwhile.

Agreed, for the most part. I played it once before and lost interest. This time I managed to get near the end of the second disc and lost interest again. I was fairly happy with it until Squall gets command of the Garden. The story and characters just don't do much for me, especially the lame villains. Part of it might be because Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game of all time and its sequel just pales in almost every way.

Grand Theft Auto 4

I've gone on about this in other threads, so I'll just say it is a very disappointing game. My friends and I don't even like to play it anymore. It sucks the fun out of the room like a current Simpsons episode. When we played a little bit last week it left me bored and drowsy. Its universal praise and ridiculous 10/10 reviews make me believe Rockstar has bribed everyone and everything. I'm not wrong - you're all wrong!

Super Smash Bros

The latest one for Wii. Aside from the "ZOMG! I've played the games this fight stage is set in" factor I don't particularly like it. Doesn't help that my nephew owns me at it. The same ten year old nephew who is absolutely terrible at every computer and non-Wii console game we play. As if I needed anymore proof the Wii is a joke. icon-megs.gif

The first series of .hack games

".hack//SIGN" is my favorite anime, so I was of course super eager to play the games. Now, I had fun, but I was expecting the storyline and characters to match up with the quality of the series... The enemy is virtually a non-entity. Kind of a shame, a lot of wasted potential there.

Oblivion

There's a lot I like about the game. But I think I tilt in the "don't like" column. I can't quite put my finger on why. I had absolutely no interest in the actual story and the game didn't quite live up to the sandbox roaming play, maybe that's why. Hmm. Definitely love to see a sequel, though, I think they're on the right track.

Counter-Strike

I played it once and never touched it again. Then Counter-Strike Source came out.

Ah, Source![/swooning] Can't understand the dinosaur diehards who stick with the original.

Edited by Teufel, 17 July 2008 - 10:28 PM.

#73 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6508 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(videomaster21XX @ Jul 14 2008, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One game that's not even really OUT yet that I don't get is Spore. I mean honestly I'm suppose to take care of a creature, then the enviornment, then more and more stuff? And that's the game?

That sounds stupid and boring as HELL. Why do these things sell? I've never understood the Sim games.

You control and guide a species in its long climb from the swamp to the stars. You have a direct role in its evolution from a singe-celled organism to a space-faring species that spans worlds. If that premise doesn't electrify you to your core, I contend you don't have a soul. icon-waspy.gif

#74 son of unicron

son of unicron
  • Citizen
  • 15291 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

yeah i gotta agree about ff8, my wife loves it for some reason.. but damn. the characters are like damp un-buttered toast.. just.. unapealing and dull.

love me some 7 and 9 though.

cant play 7 anymore.. just too damn ugly.

#75 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5541 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(Teufel @ Jul 17 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One game that's not even really OUT yet that I don't get is Spore. I mean honestly I'm suppose to take care of a creature, then the enviornment, then more and more stuff? And that's the game?

That sounds stupid and boring as HELL. Why do these things sell? I've never understood the Sim games.

You control and guide a species in its long climb from the swamp to the stars. You have a direct role in its evolution from a singe-celled organism to a space-faring species that spans worlds. If that premise doesn't electrify you to your core, I contend you don't have a soul. icon-waspy.gif

What the hell? How is this suppose to electrify me to my soul? Look I cried at the end of the Air Anime. TRUST ME. I have a soul. But this game. This piece of uninteresting crap.

Ok So I control and guide a species in it's long (IE BORING) climb from the swamp to the stars. WHY SHOULD I CARE? It's not a real creature it's a game. A not very fun one. I've tried to play Sim games before. It's always:

Pay attension to these things, then build stuff to change those things. I gotta tell you. I'd never want someone like the goverment comming to me and telling me I'm going to be responsible for an entire city. Even if they were like "Don't worry about how things go, we don't mind if this city crumbles" I have no desire to be in crontrol of an entire city and it's needs. Seems more trouble then it's worth, and that's exactly what these games are.

More trouble then they're worth. Yes I realize I'm judging Spore before it's even out, but I fail to see it being much different then most sim type games. So why are these popular? Is it because people like to pretend they are rich? Or a god?

It will NEVER make sense to me.

(And dang it, FFVIII is awsome. >_<)

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#76 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

I remember the first time playing Sim City, I thought the point was to destroy the city.

Fun for a few minutes, but lost interest, especially once I found out what the actual point was. Popped in King of the Monsters instead, and even though it's harder than Goldar's nuts to pin the enemy, had a lot more fun. I tied Simcity again a few years back, but still enjoyed a random monster or UFO attack more than actually building a city.

About the only Sim game I ever liked was Simant. That was awesome, mainly because you had more direct control. Even though you could switch to any other ant at will, it had a more "game" feeling to it.

#77 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(videomaster21XX @ Jul 18 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Teufel @ Jul 17 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the hell? How is this suppose to electrify me to my soul? Look I cried at the end of the Air Anime. TRUST ME. I have a soul. But this game. This piece of uninteresting crap.

Ok So I control and guide a species in it's long (IE BORING) climb from the swamp to the stars. WHY SHOULD I CARE? It's not a real creature it's a game. A not very fun one. I've tried to play Sim games before. It's always:

Pay attension to these things, then build stuff to change those things. I gotta tell you. I'd never want someone like the goverment comming to me and telling me I'm going to be responsible for an entire city. Even if they were like "Don't worry about how things go, we don't mind if this city crumbles" I have no desire to be in crontrol of an entire city and it's needs. Seems more trouble then it's worth, and that's exactly what these games are.

More trouble then they're worth. Yes I realize I'm judging Spore before it's even out, but I fail to see it being much different then most sim type games. So why are these popular? Is it because people like to pretend they are rich? Or a god?

It will NEVER make sense to me.

(And dang it, FFVIII is awsome. >_<)

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#78 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:51 AM

I don't really think that's going to improve his opinion of the game, considering it pretty much shows off everything he's complaining about.

I have not really been following the game myself, but that seems to present it as a more creative RTS.

#79 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:14 AM

Basically, I'm saying that the trailer does give you an idea for the market for it.

It would be fun for those people. Just trying to help him understand that.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#80 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(⊂( ゚ ヮᦏ @ Jul 16 2008, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Internet Jesus @ Jul 16 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And as for Final Fantasy VI/III? I think it's nostalgia-goggles. Kefka's awesome, but it's just not the be-all and end-all Final Fantasy many, many fans make it out to be, ESPECIALLY after the juggernaut of popularity Final Fantasy VII enjoyed.

BUT BUT BUT Squall is my favourite FF boy D=

Whiny emo-boy who hates everything except this one girl who kinda reminds him of his mom but is a total spaz?

Worst protagonist ever.

Now WARD was the best character in that game. Just because he doesn't open his mouth and ruin himself.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.