Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Red Dwarf of Transformers? An interesting, innovative and genuinely funny series that descended into a self referential mess of cliches that continues long after it should have been put out to pasture and rendered nerly everyone thoroughly unlikeable? That seems about right.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 01:59 PM)

MTMTE and Lost Light are the Red Dwarf of Transformers stories, as opposed to the others which are more like Star Wars and Star Trek.

@  Kalidor : (17 September 2020 - 01:37 PM)

Anyone in CONUS want a Skylynx for $100 shipped?

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 September 2020 - 01:34 PM)

Maybe an acquired taste in that's in that it's from a fan raised on the UK run where Transformers wasn't taken so seriously in many stories, especially some Earthforce standalones.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2020 - 09:47 AM)

so, terrible?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Yeah I think at that point Lost Light is just the '86 movie without the soundtrack.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 September 2020 - 02:28 AM)

So, exctly what Triangleman just said.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 12:36 AM)

A few of the same characters.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 12:07 AM)

Now having actually read Galaxies #10, I don't actually see what it has in common with Lost Light at all besides featuring Ultra Magnus, Chromedome, and a spaceship.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 05:33 PM)

So, it's exactly like Lost Light, then.

@  Bass X0 : (16 September 2020 - 01:52 PM)

What if Lost Light was stripped bare of its charm and humor? Galaxies #10 is the answer.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 01:49 PM)

I didn't mean "*exactly* 15 years ago and no other time."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 September 2020 - 12:27 AM)

I mean, the comment was about a linewide gimmick of 15 years ago, not a gimmick only present in a minority of toys from that year.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:14 AM)

I'd like a western take on the UT for it's twentieth, like a annual CG or anime movie on Netflix that is a condensed retelling similar to the film Macross/Robotech: Do You Remember Love.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:11 AM)

Giant Planet had them, Energon had a few. I've been disappointed in Siege for not having something for the Micromasters, Earthrise has with the base bots but they've been wasted here.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (15 September 2020 - 10:47 PM)

Wasn't 15 years ago Cyber Keys rather than Minicons?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 September 2020 - 09:38 PM)

By and large, even the worst Minicons have some unique engineering or design elements. The nostalgia factor aside, Micromasters got pretty samey after you got several, especially the "proper" 89 series.

@  unluckiness : (15 September 2020 - 07:13 PM)

There's certainly a load of crummy ones to sift through

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2020 - 05:29 PM)

Or both. There's some overlap.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 September 2020 - 03:19 PM)

People either hated minicons or became completely addicted to them.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 September 2020 - 03:17 PM)

A properly-planned theme, or as people called it 15 years ago, a stupid linewide baby toy gimmick that ruins the toys.

Photo

Games that don't live up to your expectations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Smith

Alex Smith
  • Validating
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

So yeah, let's talk about the games that people praise that didn't do it for you. Mine was Eternal Darkness. I was expecting a game that would manage to scare me while also playing tricks on my mind. Unfortunately, I thought it was a standard, Tomb Raider-esque action game. The sanity effects were cool, once, but it soon became a game that I didn't want to finish. It just got repetitive. I'll stick to Resident Evil for now.

#2 Maxx Blast

Maxx Blast

Formerly Invincible.

• Citizen
  • 5318 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

Oblivion.

I quite honestly, did not enjoy that game in the least.
Team Fortress 2 Weapons Found: 3 Axtinguishers, 2 Ambassadors, 2 Flare Gun, The Dead Ringer, Sandman, Ubersaw, Sandvich, Natascha

#3 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11269 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

Halo or GTA.

#4 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13581 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

Metal Gear Solid.

ALL of them.
Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#5 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

I never got the Metal Gear craze.

I'm forcing myself to finish the Halo series after not liking 2.

Final Fantasy. I haven't liked a FF game since 7.

Zelda Twilight Princess. I may just hate the motion controls. I want to try it out on the Gamecube before completely writing it off.

Madden games.

Pretty much any WW2 shooter. enough already, give me creative scenarios. COD4, yes, COD5, no.

I have many more.

Edited by skankerzero, 14 July 2008 - 04:01 PM.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#6 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23163 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

Zelda: Twilight Princess.

I hadn't played a Zelda game since the original, but it was such a "necessary" Wii game, I figured I'd try it out. Just completely not my bag. I think I got about 5 hours in, and gave it up. I didn't find it fun at all, didn't care about the story, didn't like the controls, didn't like the puzzles, didn't like the whole wolf-transformation thing, and thought that sidekick imp was obnoxious as hell.

#7 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 44308 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

Twilight Princess.

I didn't mind the wolf thing but I found it was too dark. Especially when using the wolf senses. Nearly turned it off and stopped playing completely when I had to search for bugs in the blackness.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#8 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 40539 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:18 PM

Metal Gear Solid. I just don't like the stealth part of the game.

Oblivion. I just can't seem to get into that game.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#9 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5536 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

For me it's The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker.

Words alone can barely describe how much I LOATH that game. (and I'm pretty sure SOMEONE is going to give me flak for this)

Oh, and before anyone says it: No I didn't hate it for the Cell Shading. In fact that was one of the few things I liked about it.

I also don't get the whole 'GTA' thing.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#10 tec

tec

Dai....CLONE

• Supporter
  • 32817 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

Mega Mans
FF
Any Tom Clancy game
Madden or ball sports in genaral
GH or Rock Band not star oops..
Ratchet and Clanks I like the Jak series better myself

I think that about covers it

Edited by tec, 14 July 2008 - 05:59 PM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

https://www.twitch.tv/tecnic5x5

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#11 (Deactivated) Madam Jazz

(Deactivated) Madam Jazz
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(The Predaking @ Jul 14 2008, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Metal Gear Solid. I just don't like the stealth part of the game.

Oblivion. I just can't seem to get into that game.

Agreed on Oblivion. My friends are into it and I tried it, and really tried to get into it but I just couldn't. Maybe I didn't spend enough time with it or something but I just didn't click with it.

#12 son of unicron

son of unicron
  • Citizen
  • 15291 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

i never understood why everyone liked resident evil 4 ... i mean, it was ok.. but.. after reading/seeing all that praise, i expected a lot more..

same with the morrowind/oblivion series, its just too open. and the characters are hideous.

#13 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

Compared to Wind Waker, Twilight Princess was a disappointment. I didn't pay $44.99 (Used, I might add) for a GC version of Ocarina of Time with no time-changing element or Ocarina. And Navi's annoyingness is preferable to the fact that Midna is a total bitch.
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#14 megamagnusagain

megamagnusagain

a winner is you

• Citizen
  • 1984 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

X-men legends

aka megamagnus, aka skidsmark

#15 Kalidor

Kalidor

\_(ツ)_/

• Owner
  • 60264 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:52 PM

I could really give a crap about any Final Fantasy game except the US version of III.

#16 Alex Smith

Alex Smith
  • Validating
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

My friend also has Oblivion and the Halo series at his house. I've had no inclination to try Oblivion and I would have never played Halo if it wasn't co-op.

#17 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Turn your back on fate and write your own story

• Supporter
  • 48015 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

Resident Evil. Just never got into it. Ditto for GTA and, well, the entire FPS genre.

#18 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(videomaster21XX @ Jul 14 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me it's The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker.

I didn't like that game either.

I absolutely hate water levels, especially 3d ones. So the whole game was just one huge turn off to me.
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#19 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

Twilight Princess.

#20 Ave Destron!

Ave Destron!
  • Citizen
  • 5305 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(tec @ Jul 14 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mega Mans

I have never really enjoyed a megaman game.
Does anyone see City-Swimmer? Is he gliding beneath the silver water? Is he creeping 'round a corner, hugging a wall, silent as a shadow in the dark?