Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 September 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Runamuck, Fasttrack, Sunstreaker, and Trailbreaker.

@  Nevermore : (22 September 2020 - 06:13 AM)

Cardboard and plastic.

@  Paladin : (22 September 2020 - 05:52 AM)

what's IN Wave 3, anyway?

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Red Dwarf of Transformers? An interesting, innovative and genuinely funny series that descended into a self referential mess of cliches that continues long after it should have been put out to pasture and rendered nerly everyone thoroughly unlikeable? That seems about right.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 01:59 PM)

MTMTE and Lost Light are the Red Dwarf of Transformers stories, as opposed to the others which are more like Star Wars and Star Trek.

@  Kalidor : (17 September 2020 - 01:37 PM)

Anyone in CONUS want a Skylynx for $100 shipped?

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 September 2020 - 01:34 PM)

Maybe an acquired taste in that's in that it's from a fan raised on the UK run where Transformers wasn't taken so seriously in many stories, especially some Earthforce standalones.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2020 - 09:47 AM)

so, terrible?

Photo

Microsoft E3 Press Conference

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
130 replies to this topic

#101 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(Invincible M @ Jul 15 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Asquian @ Jul 15 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm just enjoying the opinion of people who want the same old thing, which is stagnating the industry, while complaining that the console with the largest market share, that introduced something new and brought gaming into millions of households, is what is stagnating the industry.

I didn't describe Nintedo as causing a stagnancy, I decribed it as driving in the wrong way.

And so begins the swarming of the Nintedo Fanboys. I can see the mushroom torches now.

define "the wrong way".

#102 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11274 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

No High polygon boobies. icon-arcee.gif

#103 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 15 2008, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No High polygon boobies. icon-arcee.gif

Yes, i can clearly see now where nintendo is going wrong. You've opened my eyes! icon-waspy.gif

#104 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11274 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

Those are supposedly low Poly boobs... Get it right. icon-arcee.gif

In all seriousness though it's kinda sad.

At our old office building.. The 360 was hooked up through component cables and running in 1080i.
At the new office, it's running at 480i because it's through composit.

And no one seems to notice the diffrence.

#105 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:26 PM

This has nothing to do with **** and violence. Nothing at all. It has to do with not keeping up with current technology.

You don't release Pirates of the Caribbean 3 on VHS* and a 2006 console should not have Gamecube caliber graphics.

* I'd just as soon they not release it at all, but that's another thread, this one is detracted enough...

#106 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11274 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

Except the wii is capable for more than NGC graphics as Mario Galaxy has shown. Hell Factor 5 have stated so, and even been stated that the Unreal 3 engine can run on it.

Just because most third parties were caught with their pants down doesn't mean it can't do anything.

May I remind you that the DS started with most games looking like GBA games.

Besides most of the most popular PS2 games.. Ironicly were not the most graphicaly powerfull. Look at anny of Nippon Icchi games.

#107 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

Husband, Father, Front-End Web/Comms Guy, Podcaster

• Citizen
  • 15312 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(aDam @ Jul 15 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't release Pirates of the Caribbean 3 on VHS* and a 2006 console should not have Gamecube caliber graphics.

The Wii IS a GameCube

NerdSafariPodcast.com

Want to play games? Let's go!

• Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0088-4646-0809
  • XBOX Live ID: Matrix_Prime

#108 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 15 2008, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except the wii is capable for more than NGC graphics as Mario Galaxy has shown. Hell Factor 5 have stated so, and even been stated that the Unreal 3 engine can run on it.

Galaxy looks good, but the basic resolution and jaggies at best look like a Gamecube game.

3rd party has nothing to do with it. Mario Party, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. are all on par with their last generation counterparts graphics wise and though there are surely differences when you get down to it, they're both rendered with the same resolution and no proper antialiasing, and the 16x9 display option on an HDTV just looks poor.

Looks great on an old CRT, but that's old technology.

#109 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Jesse (M_P) @ Jul 15 2008, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(aDam @ Jul 15 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Wii IS a GameCube

The Wii has the same architecture as the Gamecube, but they're hardly the same thing. Faster processor by more than double, faster graphics chip, more RAM, and so-on--the Gamecube is a bare-bones system to the Wii's fully-kitted-out system.

As far as graphics go... we're starting to hit a wall. The limitation on how good any single given graphical element can look on a modern system is approaching a point where it's determined as much by the amount of manhours the art team on the game can put in as it is by hardware limitations. The old way of pumping as much engineering time and photorealistic artwork into a game as possible is already starting to influence the price of games--that's why games cost $60 now instead of $50.

If Gamecube-caliber graphics can effectively communicate the game's premise and environment, you should use Gamecube-caliber graphics. Now, clearly, that's not going to work for your latest photorealistic gory shooter with new gib-rendering technology as a selling point or your latest fighting game with updated boob physics and wet-clothing-rendering as a selling point, but if you want to make a cartoony platformer or RPG or whatever, it's more than enough. Hell, look at World of Warcraft--it's the most popular video game in the world, people are paying $15/month to play it, and the graphics could probably have been done on a Gamecube without breaking a sweat.

Of course, while all that's true for Gamecube graphics, that's not to say that other things--AI, physics, etc.--are acceptable at that quality level.

QUOTE(aDam @ Jul 15 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Galaxy looks good, but the basic resolution and jaggies at best look like a Gamecube game.

3rd party has nothing to do with it. Mario Party, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. are all on par with their last generation counterparts graphics wise and though there are surely differences when you get down to it, they're both rendered with the same resolution and no proper antialiasing, and the 16x9 display option on an HDTV just looks poor.

Looks great on an old CRT, but that's old technology.

So your complaint has absolutely nothing to do with the graphics, art, or visuals, and just comes down to not having component cables for the Wii and a television that handles upscaling properly?

Edited by awa64, 15 July 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#110 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48322 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 15 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because most third parties were caught with their pants down doesn't mean it can't do anything.

Gotta make a comment here,

Nintendo drove away third parties. The fact there's a lack of Third Party Wii games has very little to do with the fact Developers don't know how to develop for a motion controller (As has been pointed out, Wii can use classic/gamecube controllers just fine). It's that there's very little third party development for Nintendo at all, thanks to Nintendo's zealous use of the dated Cartridge in the N64 to their mini-discs they use for Gamecube. And the Wii just doesn't have the processing power to run the likes of Bioshock, Oblivion, and especially Assassin's Creed to justify toned down ports.

Ultimately, Nintendo's responsible for it's own lack of Third Party games.

Edited by GC Rust, 15 July 2008 - 07:42 PM.

#111 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(GC Rust @ Jul 15 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks to Nintendo's zealous use of their mini-discs they use for Gamecube.

Huh? Those may have been slightly proprietary, but no moreso than the copy protection used on any other disc-based system. And it's not like 1.5GB at $0.07 vs 4GB at $0.07 is anywhere near as big a difference as 32MB at $20.00 vs 700MB at $1.00.

And the Wii just doesn't have the processing power to run the likes of Bioshock, Oblivion, and especially Assassin's Creed to justify toned down ports.

Even if it can't run super-high-end HD console games, it still has an extremely high install base and the cost to develop for it is substantially lower than the cost to develop for the HD consoles (at least for disc-based releases).

The only way I can see buying "You can't port games from the other two systems to it" as an explination for why the Wii doesn't have more solid third-party titles is if you're arguing that game development teams prefer the more ambitious scope of working on titles for the HD consoles. Is that what you meant, or did you have something else in mind?

#112 Prime 2.0

Prime 2.0

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

• Citizen
  • 6292 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

Fact: Trying to discuss anything about MS or the Xbox will barrel roll into a console war 75%-80% of the time.

ADVENTURE TIME!!!!

#113 FortMax

FortMax

Not Cybertron Metroplex or Mudflap

• Supporter
  • 4894 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

Fact: Trying to discuss anything about [company] or the [company's system] will barrel roll into a console war 75%-80% of the time.
QUOTE(Hasbro)
Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

TbtA3Ye.jpg
Buy my Mini-Pla Goseiger Candy Toy Zords!

#114 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23166 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:34 PM

Now that we've resolved once and for all which system is better than the others, how 'bout we get back on the topic?

Looks like maybe MS was going to have one more announcement, from Bungie... but plans changed at the last minute.
http://www.joystiq.c...d-by-publisher/

#115 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(awa64 @ Jul 15 2008, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So your complaint has absolutely nothing to do with the graphics, art, or visuals, and just comes down to not having component cables for the Wii and a television that handles upscaling properly?

No. I have the component cables, and my television presents the 480p signal natively. I'm perfectly capable of using my TV to blur the signal, but that's a ridiculous suggestion. It won't clean up the graphics one bit. It will smooth the jaggies at the cost of blurring the image. Better graphical processing and anti aliasing can compensate for this while remaining with last generation's 480p resolution.

#116 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11274 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:27 AM

BTW.. I will be playing a black and white game soon.

http://wii.ign.com/d...ker_071508.html

*warning. Violence.*

#117 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9628 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:49 AM

Seriously if I see anymore console war fights on here I'm gonna be tempted to Spam you all with PM's This is the E3 Microsoft announcement thread. Not the which console is better thread. I really thought some major stuff haapened between the time I went to work and came home here, but all I get is pages of My console is better then Your Console. Suck it up, leave each respective console to each others threads and post microsoft stuff here. icon-wheelie.gif icon-wheelie.gif

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#118 Bigbot

Bigbot
  • Citizen
  • 9769 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(GC Rust @ Jul 16 2008, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 15 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gotta make a comment here,

Nintendo drove away third parties. The fact there's a lack of Third Party Wii games has very little to do with the fact Developers don't know how to develop for a motion controller (As has been pointed out, Wii can use classic/gamecube controllers just fine). It's that there's very little third party development for Nintendo at all, thanks to Nintendo's zealous use of the dated Cartridge in the N64 to their mini-discs they use for Gamecube. And the Wii just doesn't have the processing power to run the likes of Bioshock, Oblivion, and especially Assassin's Creed to justify toned down ports.

Umm sorry but there are plenty of 3rd party games available for the Wii and even more coming out so, yes while on the GC Nintendo did manage to alienate 3rd party developers, that's not the way it is anymore and is why over half the games on my wii shelf are 3rd party games.

#119 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11274 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:14 AM

Dead rising on Wii.

http://wii.ign.com/a...0/890700p1.html

Adam.. Your arguments just went down the jiver.

#120 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48322 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(awa64 @ Jul 15 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if it can't run super-high-end HD console games, it still has an extremely high install base and the cost to develop for it is substantially lower than the cost to develop for the HD consoles (at least for disc-based releases).

The only way I can see buying "You can't port games from the other two systems to it" as an explination for why the Wii doesn't have more solid third-party titles is if you're arguing that game development teams prefer the more ambitious scope of working on titles for the HD consoles. Is that what you meant, or did you have something else in mind?

Yeah. I was commenting on the fact that being a non-entity in the HD Console race (Which, I would add, there's NOTHING WRONG WITH) makes it difficult for the Triple A Third Party titles to appear on the Wii.

Yeah the Wii has third party support, but not everyone can buy two consoles and frankly, there are some great games out there that the people solely with Wiis aren't getting. And from another perspective, imagine the potential for the Wii with those third party titles. Wii's got the most diverse base, and imagine if that diversity managed to obtain copies of Oblivion and/or Bioshock.

It'd go a long way to dispelling the myth that video games are solely for children.

QUOTE(Prime 2.0 @ Jul 15 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fact: Trying to discuss anything about MS or the Xbox will barrel roll into a console war 75%-80% of the time.

Press Z or R Twice!