Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 September 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Runamuck, Fasttrack, Sunstreaker, and Trailbreaker.

@  Nevermore : (22 September 2020 - 06:13 AM)

Cardboard and plastic.

@  Paladin : (22 September 2020 - 05:52 AM)

what's IN Wave 3, anyway?

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

Photo

Microsoft E3 Press Conference

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
130 replies to this topic

#81 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Database @ Jul 15 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Says the person supporting a system where every game has the same style of controls. MS and Sony's controllers continue the EXACT SAME play style that's been around for over TWENTY YEARS.
The PS3 has sixaxis, and it's *scrubbed*. Every usage of it seems as forced as Wii remote controls and stylus functionality in most DS games. The best Wii games use the classic controller, and as such are nothing more than Gamecube games.

And your claim Wii's is stagnating for not going HD which still isn't standard for many many many households unless your a pure tech head with thousands of dollars in disposable income? Riiight... I don't have HD, and I don't know anyone around me that does. Wii is working more towards the immersion side of game play. Finding new ways to actually make you feel like your in the game by having you actually do the actions you want your character to do in the game, rather then "press A to attack".

"Swing to attack" instead of "A to attack" ...

#82 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(aDam @ Jul 15 2008, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best Wii games use the classic controller.

Yeah, I love how my copies of Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Resident Evil 4, Okami, Zack and Wiki, and Boom Blox use the Classic Controller.

Oh, wait, they don't.

#83 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11274 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

But you know.. because they don't have boobs or buckets of blood.. they arn't real games.

*glares at his 360.* When was the last time I even turned you on.

#84 Kalidor

Kalidor

\_(ツ)_/

• Owner
  • 60270 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Database @ Jul 15 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(aDam @ Jul 15 2008, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever. Thanks for trying to stagnate the gaming industry. I'm just glad some people still care about improving things.

Says the person supporting a system where every game has the same style of controls. MS and Sony's controllers continue the EXACT SAME play style that's been around for over TWENTY YEARS. And your claim Wii's is stagnating for not going HD which still isn't standard for many many many households unless your a pure tech head with thousands of dollars in disposable income? Riiight... I don't have HD, and I don't know anyone around me that does. Wii is working more towards the immersion side of game play. Finding new ways to actually make you feel like your in the game by having you actually do the actions you want your character to do in the game, rather then "press A to attack".

I think you mean "Flick the remote to the left, instead of pushing the left direction".

If Nintendo truly believed how you did, they wouldn't have started re-releasing Gamecube games ont he Wii like Smashbrothers and still allow you to use the old controls.

#85 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6892 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 15 2008, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But you know.. because they don't have boobs or buckets of blood.. they arn't real games.

*glares at his 360.* When was the last time I even turned you on.

Like 8 days ago.............
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#86 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36794 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Invincible M @ Jul 15 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Database @ Jul 15 2008, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Says the person supporting a system where every game has the same style of controls. MS and Sony's controllers continue the EXACT SAME play style that's been around for over TWENTY YEARS. And your claim Wii's is stagnating for not going HD which still isn't standard for many many many households unless your a pure tech head with thousands of dollars in disposable income? Riiight... I don't have HD, and I don't know anyone around me that does. Wii is working more towards the immersion side of game play. Finding new ways to actually make you feel like your in the game by having you actually do the actions you want your character to do in the game, rather then "press A to attack".

But see the problem is that you're simplifying and adding another dimension that doesn't need to be added to the gameplay. The motion control is unnecessary and really a gimmick. It's for people who have no patience to learn the game, over are deviod of the necessary hand eye coordination skills. Pick up and play is a great marketing strategy, but I find it insulting in a way. I've been playing video games since basically, as long as I can remember and at no point have I found learning to play a game a chore, or difficult in anyway, with Sega Gensis to Current technology(all of which, are based off old designs and really, not very difficult to use with a little time and patience put in.

The Wii may not be stagnating(that's a bit much) but it's sure suffering(maybe not sales wise, but then again, it's not being marketed to the gamers any more). Compare any games that are ported and tell me they look just as good, or run as smoothly. Don't try and defend the Wii's technical draw back by saying 'Well, most people can't afford HD, so it doesn't matter." Well, unfortauntely, it does matter because Presentation, and therefore sound and graphics are part of the marketing package and marketing helps to sell the game, which in turn creates more revenune, which in turn creates more games. Hurray for the cycle.

Don't you think there's a reason that the controller hasn't changed in so long(I'd say a good 10 years. The PS1 era controller really hit the nail on the head when it came to proper gameplay.) is because it's essentially everything you need? Developers have managed for as you say, twenty years since the SNES came out to make new games and none of them were really complaining about how boring it was, and no really was either.

Please don't defend the gimmick of the Wii(which is what the motion control is, let's face it. There's a reason they made it compatible with gamecube controllers and more classic styled controllers) by saying it's new and innovative, when it's Nintendo's way of removing themselves from the Console wars. Which, in essentailly, the did with creating a system that had a wider target base, but didn't offer the technical juggernautism that the 360 and PS3 offer.

Lets take the controller first. People can't ask for what they don't know they can have. People didn't ask for Cars, and now look at how many there are. And as technology advances, were starting to see new car ideas, not the same idea with new looks, start to come out. But the general populous wouldn't say that want one of those new cars until they start to show up. Controllers haven't changed because people are comfortable with just sitting around pressing buttons like George Jetson.

As for graphics, sure they are nice and can add to presentation, but I can go fish out one of my turds, polish it up, maybe spray paint it gold and mask the smell with flowers. But when you get down to it, its still a piece of jive. No matter how much you dress it up and make it look amazing it will always be that. And there have been plenty of games that wile they look simply amazing with their next gen graphics; are completely wretched to play and and a suffer to get through. They are the polished turds of the gaming world, that only get people attention because they look pretty. In the past on other board, I've gotten death threats, yes really, because I put game play and story MILES ahead of graphics. I think the adage is 'Don't judge a book by its cover' and I find many of those that jump at graphics are the kind pof people that can't enjoy older movies because what might have been revolutionary in effects then, pales completely to stuff that modern movies can make. But in most cases, some of the modern movies lack in many other areas even if they look nicer. So yeah, go ahead and polish the turd so they can have more revenue to find new ways to make the turds shinier for more graphic whores to buy.

And its funny with how Nintendo's whole idea of going casual, through controls and other ways, that we are amazingly seeing the OTHER companies also start to go more and more casual as well, realizing that "Oh gee, there really is an untapped audience that we can appeal to, and get even more money!" MS is doing this big time with how they are redesigning and updating Xbox Live and games like Scene It, which has much simpler controls where no gamers can play easily, and even going so far as to "copy" Miis and use them in the similar ways. Sony also is seeing some of this, with Home and Sixaxis. For me it seems Nintendo is more of leading the others in a new direction, as they see Nintendo's success in their new targeted markets, rather then leaving the war all together.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#87 (Deactivated) Arsenal

(Deactivated) Arsenal
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 15 2008, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(aDam @ Jul 15 2008, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Jul 15 2008, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(aDam @ Jul 14 2008, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Japanese are not supporting advancements in gaming. The popular systems there are the Wii, DS and PS2. No love of HD, and the North American market is the only one promoting systems and games that push the envelope. If they don't like the 360, they can have fun with their jivey systems.

Yes... Because throwing more polygons fixes everything.

It doesn't make sense to go back. Can you image if the DS was black and white?

*looks at Mega Man 7 8-bit and Mega Man 9* And actually yes.. I play black and white games on my DS all the time thank you.

Then go play your black and white games and keep thinking about the good old days while at the same time convincing yourself that everything new sucks and only the old school is grand.

I'm glad people like you are in the minority, the gaming industry would stagnate if people like where in charge.

And get rid of your 360 if you hate it so much, its your own goddamn fault, look hard enough and I'm sure you'll find plenty of reasons to turn it on and play some stuff, well if you can look past your own ridiculous notions on how graphical advancement means nothing(ignore the fact that some of the greatest games out for next gen look fantastic).

See you're looking at the graphic thing all wrong, I understand cause of your narrow-minded ways, you see the graphical advancement merely helps the story, graphics are not everything, do some games exist that seem have focused on graphics only? Yea that's true but any big game, any game consider great in the next gen had both, great graphics and great gameplay.

Says the person supporting a system where every game has the same style of controls. MS and Sony's controllers continue the EXACT SAME play style that's been around for over TWENTY YEARS.

Oh man, its been awhile since I've heard this little nugget of wisdom.

Cause obviously a console choosing to go with what works means its screwing up the industry and making it stagnate.

And you do realize that motion control has been around for years, Nintendo just make a console out of it, MORE to the point, motion control is still imprecise, so much so that Nintendo is releasing an add-on to improve on it.

Out of all the E3 stuff said the only thing that sounds even slightly interesting is the sword game, that's it.

I'll never understand why people defend Nintendo with such vitrol.

#88 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 40566 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Database @ Jul 15 2008, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for graphics, sure they are nice and can add to presentation, but I can go fish out one of my turds, polish it up, maybe spray paint it gold and mask the smell with flowers. But when you get down to it, its still a piece of jive. No matter how much you dress it up and make it look amazing it will always be that.

The Problem with your line of thought comes along when you fail to realize that graphics are more than just graphics. With the new systems, they are so much more powerful than the Wii, it limits what the games can do. For example, you will never have Dead Rising on the Wii, you will never get GTA4 on the Wii, and you will never see another mainstream Final Fantasy game. So while you will have Wii Sports Resort, you are missing out on a lot of great games.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#89 Bigbot

Bigbot
  • Citizen
  • 9769 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

Personally I think you're all over-reacting, both are damn fine consoles, both have good casual and hardcore games and both have draw backs.

Seriously it's like going back to the day of the Genesis Vs SNES wars in which owning both was a cardinal sin, it isn't they both do a good job in different ways.

#90 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

graphics are more important than people like to admit.

They don't add to gameplay much depending on your game, but they add to the atmosphere of the game.

Some of the scariest games I've ever played wouldn't have been possible without the advancements in technology.
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#91 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36794 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(The Predaking @ Jul 15 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For example, you will never have Dead Rising on the Wii,

I can't play it on my TV anyway, unless I want to go blind from trying to read text or drop money I don't have on a HDtv. So getting a "graphically inferior" version is the only way I could play it, but its no big loss for me.

you will never get GTA4 on the Wii,

I've never cared for GTA anyway, but graphics hasn't stopped Rockstar from releasing a GTA on DS.

and you will never see another mainstream Final Fantasy game.

A series I've lost a lot of interest in after 10-2. I'm getting more into Dragon Quest, which Wii has and DS will be getting DQ9.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#92 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 40566 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(Database @ Jul 15 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For example, you will never have Dead Rising on the Wii,

I can't play it on my TV anyway, unless I want to go blind from trying to read text or drop money I don't have on a HDtv. So getting a "graphically inferior" version is the only way I could play it, but its no big loss for me.

A VGA cable will connect it to your PC Monitor and you can run it in 720p HD for $20. I did that for about 2 years before I got a HDTV and I loved it.

QUOTE(Database @ Jul 15 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and you will never see another mainstream Final Fantasy game.

A series I've lost a lot of interest in after 10-2. I'm getting more into Dragon Quest, which Wii has and DS will be getting DQ9.

True, Final Fantasy hasn't been that great lately, but both Dragon Quest games are huge jumps away from what they used to be. Rocket Slime, while fun, wasn't that DQish. DQM: Joker was fun though, and it really felt like a good DQ sequel, but DQ9 looks to a pass. I hate that they are jumping away from the Turn base combat. Oh well, at least we get DQ4 remake in September.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#93 Maxx Blast

Maxx Blast

Formerly Invincible.

• Citizen
  • 5318 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(Database @ Jul 15 2008, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets take the controller first. People can't ask for what they don't know they can have. People didn't ask for Cars, and now look at how many there are. And as technology advances, were starting to see new car ideas, not the same idea with new looks, start to come out. But the general populous wouldn't say that want one of those new cars until they start to show up. Controllers haven't changed because people are comfortable with just sitting around pressing buttons like George Jetson.

Cars are a logical progression, though. We had wheel, then wheel on cart, then wheel on cart pulled by animal, then wheel on cart that made itself go.

Buttons to motion control isn't really a logical progression at all. It's really two seperate things and the motion control is hardly an improvement over the classical gameplay style. In fact, if anything, it gets in the way, cause you're still pushing buttons, but you're adding in another element of complexity to it, which really doesn't need to be there. Sure, it's a nice addition, but if you were to strip it away, combine the nun-chuck with the wii-mote and you the basic design behind oh, every controller in the past twenty years.

and how is George Jetson a bad example? The man lived in complete and total luxury. You seem to be toting this idea that move the controller from side to side somehow greatly enhances the gameplay experience and I've played the Wii(Smash Bros and Galaxy) and in all honesty, I would've(and did) feel much more comfortable playing with a gamecube controller because it's how it works.

They hit the nail on the head with the SNES controller, and then ripped off/improved it with the Dualshock and it has stayed the same since because it works and offers a wide variety of gameplay options.

Is motion control fun? Yeah, it is, but in the proper context. I don't need to feel like I'm swinging Link's sword in Legend of Zelda because I'm not a child. My imagination is vivid enough that I can take what the game gives me and work with it, in my mind. You're essentially saying that LARPing is better than D and D and let's face it, in the end, who looks worse? The guys playing the game, using the power of their minds or the guys who put on armor and pretend to cast spells?

As for graphics, sure they are nice and can add to presentation, but I can go fish out one of my turds, polish it up, maybe spray paint it gold and mask the smell with flowers. But when you get down to it, its still a piece of jive. No matter how much you dress it up and make it look amazing it will always be that. And there have been plenty of games that wile they look simply amazing with their next gen graphics; are completely wretched to play and and a suffer to get through. They are the polished turds of the gaming world, that only get people attention because they look pretty. In the past on other board, I've gotten death threats, yes really, because I put game play and story MILES ahead of graphics. I think the adage is 'Don't judge a book by its cover' and I find many of those that jump at graphics are the kind pof people that can't enjoy older movies because what might have been revolutionary in effects then, pales completely to stuff that modern movies can make. But in most cases, some of the modern movies lack in many other areas even if they look nicer. So yeah, go ahead and polish the turd so they can have more revenue to find new ways to make the turds shinier for more graphic whores to buy.

I explained the marketing concept to you, I explained how it works. You can continue to ram your head into the wonderful brick wall that is Substance over style, but unfortunately people are very visual. We like pretty things that look nice. We gravitate towards them and thus, are more likely to spend our money on them.

Polish turds or not, all the game review sites have an area for graphics, thus indicating that they must have some bearing on the game itself, and as Skankerzero said, they set up the atmosphere and the mood and that is part of the gameplay.

Video games are multimedia, not just story and gameplay alone, and thus have to be evaluated as Multimedia.

And its funny with how Nintendo's whole idea of going casual, through controls and other ways, that we are amazingly seeing the OTHER companies also start to go more and more casual as well, realizing that "Oh gee, there really is an untapped audience that we can appeal to, and get even more money!" MS is doing this big time with how they are redesigning and updating Xbox Live and games like Scene It, which has much simpler controls where no gamers can play easily, and even going so far as to "copy" Miis and use them in the similar ways. Sony also is seeing some of this, with Home and Sixaxis. For me it seems Nintendo is more of leading the others in a new direction, as they see Nintendo's success in their new targeted markets, rather then leaving the war all together.

First, you speak as if Nintendo invented the concept of Motion control.

Nintedo did leave the war, I'm afraid. They lost with the gamecube and thus, decided to up and leave. (Which in all honesty, didn't work out so bad.) Look at their E3 confrence! How much did they bring to the table? How much is there to really look forward to the Wii in the sense of a classical game? How much innovation did they put into their games at all? Gimmicking it up doesn't really count as innovation, either.

See, the problem is that nintendo is hardly paying any attention to the area that needs the attention, Males, late teens to 20somethings. We have the money, we're going to spend the money and by releasing crap like Wii music, you're essentially flipping the bird to the audience you want to be appealing to the most.

Also, welcome to the world. If anything is even the least bit sucessful, everyone's going to jump on and try and get a peice of the pie. Nirvana, being a prime example. As soon as they hit it big, every label in the country started trawling around looking for similar sounding bands because they wanted a peice of what was hot.

The Wii is a fad. Everyone wants one, but the only question that should be on your mind if you're a business is: What happens next? Most people who have a Wii will be content with their Wii and for the most part, the people who buy the next Nintendo console (I'm betting on Wii2) will be the people who always buy Nintedo systems anyways.

I also enjoy your 'I don't even like those games, so I wouldn't play them even if I could' attitude. Makes me smile.
Team Fortress 2 Weapons Found: 3 Axtinguishers, 2 Ambassadors, 2 Flare Gun, The Dead Ringer, Sandman, Ubersaw, Sandvich, Natascha

#94 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48322 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

I love righteous fury when another company decides to adopt a successful business strategy of a competitor, as if it somehow is going to "rob" the competitor of anything.

When Microsoft, Sony, and yes even Nintendo start ripping each other off of their best ideas, guess who wins?

THE CONSUMERS

Barely any exclusives? The more people who can enjoy games like Oblivion and Bioshock, the better.
Microsoft adding Miis? Neat!
Microsoft coopting the "Home" aspect of PSN and potentially releasing it before Home itself? Nintendo should have beaten everyone to the punch - they've got the Miis in place already.

Seriously folks, give the Console Patriotism a rest. We all win in the end.

#95 Maxx Blast

Maxx Blast

Formerly Invincible.

• Citizen
  • 5318 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

Rust is right.

Give him your treasures and praise.
Team Fortress 2 Weapons Found: 3 Axtinguishers, 2 Ambassadors, 2 Flare Gun, The Dead Ringer, Sandman, Ubersaw, Sandvich, Natascha

#96 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:30 PM

i'm just enjoying the opinion of people who want the same old thing, which is stagnating the industry, while complaining that the console with the largest market share, that introduced something new and brought gaming into millions of households, is what is stagnating the industry.

irony always entertains me.

#97 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48322 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(Asquian @ Jul 15 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and brought gaming into millions of households

The PC?
(Sorry, couldn't resist. icon-blitz.gif )

#98 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(Bigbot @ Jul 15 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously it's like going back to the day of the Genesis Vs SNES wars in which owning both was a cardinal sin, it isn't they both do a good job in different ways.

I enjoy some Wii games, but I just wish they could be better. Gamecube was cutting edge. The comparison between the SNES and Sega Master System would be more appropriate. You can't draw a parallel, since no system has under utilised the technology of the time as severely as the Wii has.

I'm all for classic gaming, in that I like NES, SNES games and such, but when we're talking about 3D graphics in modern games, you need HD graphics and proper smoothing so that things don't look... crappy. The PS2 was good for it's time, but those games look like crap compared to the PS3 and 360. 2D sprite based graphics don't date. Mario Party 8, on the other hand, is full of jaggies to the point where you feel like you're playing a PS2 title. It's still fun, but I just have a lot of trouble enjoying it when the graphics of Mario Parties 4-7 blew my mind, and now they actually look worse.

#99 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(GC Rust @ Jul 15 2008, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and brought gaming into millions of households

The PC?
(Sorry, couldn't resist. icon-blitz.gif )

heh, that too.

<is both a console gamer, w/ wii/360, and a pc gamer>

#100 Maxx Blast

Maxx Blast

Formerly Invincible.

• Citizen
  • 5318 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

i'm just enjoying the opinion of people who want the same old thing, which is stagnating the industry, while complaining that the console with the largest market share, that introduced something new and brought gaming into millions of households, is what is stagnating the industry.

I didn't describe Nintedo as causing a stagnancy, I decribed it as driving in the wrong way.

And so begins the swarming of the Nintedo Fanboys. I can see the mushroom torches now.