Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:59 AM)

we'll move to the open garage if it's raining

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

every Halloween since we got a house, TMM and I chill in the driveway with a fire bowl and roast things while handing out candy. It's pretty great.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 November 2019 - 03:42 AM)

Peter Cullen voiced King Kong let that sink in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:42 PM)

I've noticed that after a year or two, though, people with children will start getting into it for their kids

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:41 PM)

I think a lot of the decline you see in Halloween is due to newcomers to Canada who don't really get it... I mean,there are only a handful of countries in the world that practice this particular oddity

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (06 November 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I recently attended a talk on Samhain and its associated mythology by a professor from Limerick.

@  Otaku : (06 November 2019 - 11:49 AM)

Trunk or Treats have become more popular because it is supposed to be safer, and even if it isn't, it just tends to be easier for the Trick-or-Treaters.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 November 2019 - 11:00 AM)

That's okay: between ever more extreme weather, ever more violent society, and general paranoia of parents: halloweens not doing to well out here either.

@  Anonymous X : (06 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

We used to have Bonfire Night here in the UK as our thing instead of Halloween... It's withered away for the most part. Halloween used to be the strange American tradition you knew of from ET or various cartoons

Photo

What game type do you prefer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 tec

tec

classic

• Supporter
  • 31271 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:47 AM

Lets try this hypothetical question

Say you walked into a gamestore with eleven bucks and no idea of what you wanted and spoted the 9.99 dump bin how you go about priotizeing what you would like?

Mine would go like this

Mecha
Piloting
Fighter
Racer
Shooter
FPS
RPG
Platformer
Arcade
Puzzel

Ball sports are not even on my list I own the only three sports games I want

Edited by tec, 03 July 2008 - 04:48 AM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#2 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5260 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:01 AM

Hmmm, RPG would probably take first priority but I'd just as soon priority a Platform game...

It'd probably be something like:

RPG/Platformer (depending on my mood that day)
Survival Horror
Music Rhythm
Mecha
Shooter
Fighter
Arcade
FPS

There is little hope for a Puzzle game to catch my interest, and there's no chance a racing or piloting game would catch my interest at all. It 'could' happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

As for sports, hell no. I own two sport games to date: MegaMan Soccer and RibbitKing

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#3 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Master of the sword, champion of the fight

• Supporter
  • 45389 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:13 AM

Depending on my mood, RPG or action/platformer takes the top spot. I like fighters and Guitar Hero as well. I don't care much for strategy games, and the closest I usually come to a shooter is Mega Man.

I don't play sports games. I'm not interested in the real thing, no way I'm playing a video game version.

#4 Gamma V

Gamma V

The AllSpark's resident SMW hacker

• Citizen
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:45 AM

Platformer for me!
Puzzle would be runner up.

#5 Chris_Lv255

Chris_Lv255
  • Citizen
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

(1) Roguelikes
(2) Strategy/Tactics RPG
(3) Good ol' Platformers, Metroidvanias included
(4) BOMBERMAN
(5) TETRIS
My spiral of power comes from two sources: Love and Courage. Let the Spiral become my Drill, that it may pierce the Heavens.
My Pokemon Diamond Friend code: 4424 8048 1193
Behold, my Desktop Tower Defense mazes!

#6 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

nom nom nom

• Supporter
  • 13885 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:42 AM

Also depends on my mood, but here's the general priority: RPGs, Detective-type (eg. Phoenix Wright), Music/rhythm, puzzles/brain exercise. Sometimes I'll pick up a simulation, action, fighting, or platformer game. Once in a great while I'll poke around in a tactical game, though I quickly lose patience. The only "sports" games I enjoy are ones like DDR or Wii Sports. And then you get games that don't really fit into a category like Katamari. icon-fire.gif

#7 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39053 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

Turn based RPGs are my favorite genre.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#8 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12236 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

RPG/Strategy
FPS
Sim
Action
Flying
Racing

Platformers, sports games, and gimmicky games don't even make the radar for the most part.

#9 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42307 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

RPG, then RTS, FPS, strategy, survival horror, adventure, that's about it. I'm actually surprised at how limited my taste in games is.
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#10 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

mmo or turn based rpgs.
Sometimes action or puzzle games if I'm looking to just kill a short amount time.

Edited by VeritasZB, 03 July 2008 - 10:37 AM.

#11 Stormrave

Stormrave

Decepticon Field Commander

• Retired Staff
  • 21315 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:32 AM

I like FPS's, that being said they either have to have 1. a good storyline to go with or 2. some degree of tactics/strategy beyond "spray bullets at everything", preferably both.

I also enjoy action games with puzzle components like Mario, Lego Starwars, etc.

I wouldn't call myself a puzzle game fan, though I can be fascinated by tetris for hours.

I don't like sports games - I'd rather play the real thing if I must - and I find myself getting disoriented, if not motion sick, playing racers or flying games with the "you in the cockpit" look. occasionally FPS's will do this to me as well, though not as badly (probably because the scenery doesn't move as quickly.) Again, having had real planes and real cars, sims just aren't the same. And I don't care for fighting games...I don't mind fighting bosses etc to advance, but I get bored when the game is nothing BUT fighting.
Pilot, Writer, Decepticon

http://www.fictorian...ns/mary-pletsch

#12 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3273 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:05 AM

Don't really mind. If a games' decent and worth playing, it's, err, decent and worth playing regardless of the arbitrary idea of "genre".

Still, I know I won't play. FPSes because they aren't really my thing in terms of personal taste (I'm neutral about them). Oh and turn-based RPGs, which I genuinely detest.
QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

#13 Maxx Blast

Maxx Blast

Formerly Invincible.

• Citizen
  • 5318 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

If it's good, I'll play it.

Shooters(1st person or 3rd, doesn't matter) and RPGs(Japanese or American) tend to get most of my time and money, though.
Team Fortress 2 Weapons Found: 3 Axtinguishers, 2 Ambassadors, 2 Flare Gun, The Dead Ringer, Sandman, Ubersaw, Sandvich, Natascha

#14 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5422 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

Probably easier to list my least-favorite genres....

3D Shooters(oddly, I rather enjoy a good side-scrolling shooter, though I must admit I royally suck at them) and sports games.

Though even then there are exceptions...(Bioshock comes to mind)

I will admit that quirky, gimmicky games are a guilty pleasure of mine... Things like Super Monkey Ball, Katamari or Boom Blox have a strange appeal to me.

#15 Ave Destron!

Ave Destron!
  • Citizen
  • 5241 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:38 PM

I'd look for games I knew about.
Does anyone see City-Swimmer? Is he gliding beneath the silver water? Is he creeping 'round a corner, hugging a wall, silent as a shadow in the dark?

#16 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 18046 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

Fun games! icon-waspy.gif

I s'pose I like good ol' action/adventure the most, be it 3D or side-scrolling. Some shooters are welcome too.

Now I wanna play Team Fortress 2. I blame this thread. icon-waspy.gif

UnHImyv.png

#17 Solarstorm

Solarstorm
  • Citizen
  • 7381 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

If digging through a discount bin, I'm assuming it's old/outdaed games.

So shooters are out of the question. As fun as they are (one of my favorite genres), they are dependent on graphics. When you play Gears or Halo or COD 4, there is no playing Prey or Quske 4 afterwards.

So I'd say

1) RPG (old RPGs are just as good, if not better than new ones.)

TIED WITH

1) Music (I love DDR and all the variations. Guitar Hero as well. Old games NEVER lose interest in this genre. They are just more songs for the same game.)

2)Platform
3)Franchise (Sonic, Mario, Metal Gear, Megaman, etc... Things I grew up with and buy the moment I see the name)
4) Racing. Arcade style street racing and futuristic racing. NO SIMULATORS (no fun).
5)Puzzle
6) Miscellaneous

"The way YOU are built lends itself to similarly big weapons. Magnus by comparison is a girly man."--Bainreese

#18 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

• Supporter
  • 2514 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:32 PM

Whatever Rock Band is categorized as, that's my number one. Arcade maybe? Other than that, I tend to go for platformers and RPGs (Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Fable, Kingdom Hearts). Fighting and FPS would be next, with Racing all the way at the bottom.

#19 tec

tec

classic

• Supporter
  • 31271 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

Look Im all grateful for the boost GH and Rock band has bought to vid games but thats the last game I would ever pick up

I wanna play a gutar I will pick up my brothers I wanna learn it I will hire a teacher I catorise thim with ball sports its something you can do In real life there for not worth playing in game form

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#20 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5260 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

Look Im all grateful for the boost GH and Rock band has bought to vid games but thats the last game I would ever pick up

I wanna play a gutar I will pick up my brothers I wanna learn it I will hire a teacher I catorise thim with ball sports its something you can do In real life there for not worth playing in game form

I dissagree. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are NOTHING like playing the real thing. It's just a game meant for the player to have fun, and that's exactly what I had playing them. Fun.

I'd suggest trying them first if you haven't yet before taking that stand. If you have played them and decide it's not your thing, then hey, your choice.

I have played all the games I just will NOT play anymore. That includes sports games, which are as dull as I figured, and puzzle games like Tetris, which I realized is very repetitive and boring after about an hour of gameplay. As for racing, just could never get into them. Few execptions.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler