Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

Photo

Tell Me About Scott Pilgrim

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

I just had a friend from college call me out of the blue and tell me
that he remembered that I really enjoyed the SCUD books, and
when the new ones came out he decided to pick them up. His LCS
owner told him that if he enjoyed the SCUD books, which he did,
that he should really check out Scott Pilgrim.

Here's the thing, I don't really trust this guy's judgment. He was,
who do I say it, a bit of a tool, and the fact that he likes it makes
me instantly not want to.

Then again, I know that Michael Cera is playing him in the movie
adaptation and that Edgar Wright is directing (two amazing artists)
and that there's something in the first issue that is apparently really
[email protected]$$.

So, should I but it and why is it as loved as it seems to be?

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 17 June 2008 - 02:49 PM.

Yep.

#2 (Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists

(Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

Okay.

Take one scoop Romance, one scoop Videogame awesome, one scoop ultra-indie rock, mix with awesomesauce and win, and you've got Scott Pilgrim.

I didn't think I'd like it at first either.

but every person I've met who thought that way, was an instant fan halfway into the first volume.

pick up volume one, it's $12, if you don't like it, I'm sure you won't be out too much, and there's DEFINITELY someone out there who'd be happy to take it off your hands.

simple gist of volume one: Scott is dating a 17 year old girl.

he meets a new girl, he ditches the old girl, and starts pursuing the new one.

he's also in a band. he also lives with his super-cool gay roommate.

hijinks, and hilarity ensue, witty banter is exchanged, and then comes the "Scott Pilgrim Left Turn" (I'll save the surprise for you to discover). When it all wraps up, you'll know the plot. Which thickens throughout volumes 2 and 3.

Volume 4 is the quintessential "middle" volume (think "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", in which the rest of the series is spelled out for you, and you wait in eager anticipation for the final volumes). Aptly Titled "Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together".

but take it one step at a time, I'm fairly certain that once you finish volume one, you'll be eager for the next.

if that's not enough, see what IFanboy.com says about it HERE

Edited by Mr.Blisterfists, 17 June 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#3 Weremole

Weremole

Ah, what the heck. What is in a name?

• Citizen
  • 5852 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

In my case I love it because its both whimsical and escapist as well as tangibly serious at the same time.

Its basicly about this guy who is not very clever and does all the wrong choices in relation to other people due to past jive in his life. He tries to get it together but it just won't. But atleast he gets a few awesome fights out of it.

Imagine your life, but with random kung fu fights and video game logic. Or imagine a character like Monkey D Luffy from One Peice as the main character of Garden State.

#4 OctopusPrime

OctopusPrime

TOP of the Morning!

• Validating
  • 2374 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

Scott Pilgrim is the anthopomorphic personification of awesome.

This is all you need to know.

Bread is Pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something

#5 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15453 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

eh, I don't need to read scott pilgrim
I mean I grew up in suburban canada in the nineties, I lived it.
reading it feels like a rerun
Woooo!

#6 Liege

Liege

Deathsaurus Rising

• Supporter
  • 4854 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:25 PM

Weird, I just read vol.3 for the first time earlier. It's awesome sauce.

They're great, guy in his early 20's living the slacker dream falls in love with a girl, but to win her he must beat her seven evil exes. It's a good light hearted concept to draw you, but then the back story of the characters sucks you in. I can't really go into much more without spoiler territory but pick them up and you won't be disappointed.

BTW, anybody know when Vol.5 is coming out?
QUOTE(NightViper @ Aug 3 2013, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Escargon @ Aug 1 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Liege, you're words really have had an effect on me. It made me relise I've shouldn't care about what others think of me, I should only care about what I think of myself.

Liege is a small dude with a lot of wisdom.

Well one of those descriptive words is accurate I suppose!

3ds friend code: kyle 4141 2965 5460 pm me yours to add.

#7 (Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists

• Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

Mal says he wants to have it done by year's end, but nobody should hold him to it.

last time he said that, we got Volume 4 in October/November, so, here's hoping.

#8 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22351 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

I have fallen in love with the series, and by extension, Toronto.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#9 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

I did some design work for the comic shop and the owner threw the first volume
into my bag today and told me that it was, "On him..." I've gotta say... I'm not
quite sure why everyone's in love with it. It's fun, and had some really well written
moments, but I'm assuming that it takes going into volume 2 or 3 before the rabid
love would start...

Am I right?
Yep.

#10 (Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists

• Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

I was hooked on volume one, but pick up the next one, if it's not your cuppa, then I guess it never will be.

#11 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

Alright. Chapter 10 in Volume 2 did it for me. The Knives/Ramona fight and then the
exchange between Envy and Scott over the phone and then Wallace. Yeah. I get it.

Starting to see why people love the book.

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 03 July 2008 - 02:12 PM.

Yep.

#12 (Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists

• Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:46 PM

good to hear it.

Volume 3 is all massive tension building towards a lot of huge revelations, and changes in volume 4, which really does feel like the storyline is moving in the right direction.

volume 4 really is the backbone of the series, and it supports everything that came before, and builds towards everything yet to come.

can't wait to see what's next!

#13 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Just passed the books on to Angelbot's 18 year old little sister. I think that
she might really dig the series. Now I just have to wait the month or what-
ever for the LCS to get books 3 and 4... Don't know if I'll wait that long...
I might just grab the CBR's since I've already paid for the books...
Yep.

#14 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

Just finished Volume 4... icon-screamer.gif icon-silverbolt.gif
Yep.

#15 OctopusPrime

OctopusPrime

TOP of the Morning!

• Validating
  • 2374 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

The Ramona/Knives fight marks the precise instant that the book moved from "decent" to "mag-freakin-nificent" for me as well.

Bread is Pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something

#16 (Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists

• Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Jul 7 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just finished Volume 4... icon-screamer.gif icon-silverbolt.gif

I actually got a gag order on Scott's myspace, when I theorized that all of Ramona's Exes might not be guys.

it was just before volume four came out, and I couldn't post until the official release date.

#17 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22351 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH!

http://destroyerzooe...com/190812.html

Scott Pilgrim Vol. 5. Scott Pilgrim vs. The Universe.

February 4, 2009.

Mark your calendars, kiddies.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#18 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(Internet Jesus @ Jul 28 2008, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
February 4, 2009.

This was announced Friday night at Comicon, but as I said earlier on his LJ...

This was without a doubt the most frustrating thing EVER. From the time of the panel on, this entire weekend, I was checking the Oni Site, the official site, this LJ page, the Wikipedia Page, Twitter, Newsarama, CBR, Scott.Ning... EVERYWHERE! ... and no place had the information. I figured in this day and age someone would go out and post it somewhere right after it was made public and it would propagate out... Nothing.

Not even the larger comic book sites (that praise the SP books whenever they come out) bothered to report on the Oni Panel. It was very frustrating.

Good to know now, but so long away... WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

EDIT: Also, since I got the book I've loaned them (all 4) out to 5 different
people, all of whom loved them and want to buy Book 5 when it comes out.

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 28 July 2008 - 03:04 PM.

Yep.