Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (20 November 2019 - 04:14 PM)

Why has there been no new Minerva toys? I’m surprised at Takara. The Titan Master head doesn’t count.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

On my shelf I have Ginrai donning the Star Convoy armor.

@  Liege : (19 November 2019 - 07:42 AM)

That he is.

@  Benbot : (18 November 2019 - 04:01 PM)

And a good boy

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Hound is at least a very good toy.

@  ThunderWear : (18 November 2019 - 09:11 AM)

Hound is the only other one that even comes close to Chromia in my area, and he ships in two separate waves.

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

This might be how they finally get rid of all the Chromias. I've not seen a shelfwarmer like that in ages.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM)

It's a good deal if you want a full set of Refraktor (and if they have them at your location)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

Photo

Got the MGS4 Bundle!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

Husband, Father, Front-End Web/Comms Guy, Podcaster

• Citizen
  • 15310 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

Got the last one at my local walmart tonight...errr this morning. To be honest, the 40GB version is a much better deal, since with the $100 gift card, you can practically get MGS4 and a Dual Shock 3 for free, though you lose backwards compatibility and that extra 40GB

IaconMedia.com - broadcasting new and archived podcasts

Want to play games? Let's go!

• Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0088-4646-0809
  • XBOX Live ID: Matrix_Prime

#2 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:36 AM

I just picked up the Collectors edition. got a sweet Snake figure.

*waits for game to install*

EDIT: oh god....the idiots...they gave me 2 copies

WOOHOO!

Edited by Goblez, 12 June 2008 - 12:39 AM.

#3 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5574 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

Got the Gamestop Limited Edition at Midnight. Opened it up to take a look at the 3 discs. But didn't get to play because I had to be up at 4am for work. Currently at work now, have to go home, feed the dog, put together a Hutch as a Surprise for my Fiance. Get my haircut...

Sighs... Hopefully I will get to play the game tonight, but it is starting to look like it won't be till Friday Night or worse Sat Morning...

#4 JCx

JCx

Disco Spyder

• Citizen
  • 3678 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

Went with my friend to Walmart so he could get one, got there about 5:30 two people were already in line. At 6 a manager walks out and asks if were waiting for the PS3 bundle, he says sorry we only got two. Now we're gonna wait and see if Frys or Best Buy will price match.

#5 princej3

princej3
  • Citizen
  • 2194 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

I hit the Wal-Mart last night at midnight and picked up the console (with free $100 gift card woot) and played around on the PS3 setting up my accounts (and downloading updates) for the console and for MGO until about 2, then played straight through Act One. I am totally loving it. Then tried to play some MGO, and spent most of the matches trying to CQC so I could hack the OpFor's SOP, but all my character ever did was throw the guy to ground. Mebbe I just suck. icon-fire.gif

Just got back from Gamestop where I picked up my LE copy and was scanning through the docu. Looking forward to sitting down and watching after I finish the game. Really need to get the Blu-Ray remote, cause navigating videos on the controller suuuucks.

Tomorrow I think I'll run to Best Buy and go ahead and pick up the headset since it's only $39.99 there.

#6 Crypt

Crypt

Noodle Poodle

• Citizen
  • 12959 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

I had my Limited edition shipped from gamestop.com overnight. It's currently in transit to my house. typically the UPS guy comes around 4:40 pm, so the game will be there an hour before I get home from work.

#7 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

• Citizen
  • 15310 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

I was a bit surprised at the number of systems my local walmart had. They had , I think, 3 cases, so 6 systems in total, and like I said above, I got the last one. I didn't wait in line though. I went to Walmart at about 11pm, and saw that one guy was standing there reading a book, and someone else was lounging around the checkout there in the electronics section. Me, I just walked around the store for about an hour and showed up right before midnight. There were about 10 people there in total maybe, 5 of which got the bundle, the others only got the game, and I walked right up and got the last bundle.

I was WAY too tired last night to mess around with it, so I hooked the system up this morning hastily to configure it and get it setup. I also performed the initial install for MGS4, which took 8 minutes. I love the fact that Snake chain smokes through this sequence. I also watched the opening cinematic with Snake in the cemetery. I can't wait to get out of work today to play this.

Edited by Jesse (M_P), 12 June 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#8 MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch

Handling lasers by hand

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

What the hug do you guys do for a living? "Oh, a $500 thing came out this week? Let me check my couch cushions...yup, I have enough spare change to buy it."
It's time to bring the crunch!

#9 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

• Citizen
  • 15310 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

As I stated when MGS4 was first announced, THIS was the sole reason I was buying a PS3.....I've had enough time to save money.

#10 TSM-in-N.Y.

TSM-in-N.Y.

Enough Blood For You?

• Citizen
  • 4956 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

I have 2 go out later to my local GS 2 pick up my Ltd. Ed. copy of the game. I can't wait!

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

"It's not arrogance if you really are that great!"
KEEP THE BEATS PHRESH YO! TSM-in-N.Y.

"To paraphrase the great M. Biehn in The Terminator, I don't misspell words, you do. Don't do that again. Listen and understand, I am out here. I can't be bargained with, I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear and I absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" - TSM-in-N.Y.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as. And I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Lauren Caitlin Upton - Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, answering a question on why 20 percent of Americans surveyed are unable to locate the U.S. on a world map.

#11 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5574 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(Pigbag @ Jun 12 2008, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What the hug do you guys do for a living? "Oh, a $500 thing came out this week? Let me check my couch cushions...yup, I have enough spare change to buy it."

I work as a Contractor for the USDA, basically doing Tier II Phone, and Network Support. Should be getting to do Internal Tier III Diagnostics soon.

Also I'm hoping to get hired permanently soon. Had an App in for an Opening for the past 6 weeks. Sent up to the selecting official. Just have to hope no one has a better resume, or Hiring points... Government moves so slow.... ugh.

As for money, it helps to get paid well, and live in a low cost safe small IL town.

As for the others. Who knows. LOL. Granted I didn't buy the Bundle just the LE Game, and the LE Players guide that was still $120. Add the $170 I spent the week before on Animated TF's... Yeah... I guess I still fit in that description...

Edited by RYNO, 12 June 2008 - 12:08 PM.

#12 MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch

Handling lasers by hand

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

It's Matrix Prime/Jesse that bothers me. He practically buys a new $1000 gadget every hugging week! How many Macs does he need? I'm calling it today. Next month he's going to come online and tell us he bought 4 hugging new iPhones.
It's time to bring the crunch!

#13 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:30 PM

^^ who gives a crap

#14 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

• Citizen
  • 15310 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE(Knight in Rusty Armor @ Jun 12 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^ who gives a crap

Exactly, what the hug do you care?

#15 Maxx Blast

Maxx Blast

Formerly Invincible.

• Citizen
  • 5318 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

PS3 is an option for me this summer, so I may get the bundle.

It's a big maybe though(I'm leaning towards a new computer or laptop really, or maybe a TV)
Team Fortress 2 Weapons Found: 3 Axtinguishers, 2 Ambassadors, 2 Flare Gun, The Dead Ringer, Sandman, Ubersaw, Sandvich, Natascha

#16 Crypt

Crypt

Noodle Poodle

• Citizen
  • 12959 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

This game is so friggin' awesome. I love the humor mixed in. I got past the first act last night and then my brother kept bugging me to play the damn game so I let him. And I wont be able to play it until 11:30 tonight because I'm at work from 7:30am - 10:30pm today.

I actually like all the product placement in the game. Makes it feel more real because ya know real life has products. I love exploring the levels after I help the militia win

Only bad things so far are the install times and/or load times. If I have install it, there shouldn't be loading screens.

#17 Crypt

Crypt

Noodle Poodle

• Citizen
  • 12959 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:56 AM

the IGN review is out today. They gave it an 11/10, but it's listed as a 10/10.

I love the ipod in the game. And you can play whatever way you want in this game. I prefer sneaking, but damn it's awesome when you can plow through 20 enemies with an RPG.

#18 Prime 2.0

Prime 2.0

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

• Citizen
  • 6292 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(Goblez @ Jun 12 2008, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just picked up the Collectors edition. got a sweet Snake figure.

*waits for game to install*

EDIT: oh god....the idiots...they gave me 2 copies

WOOHOO!

any chance you'd be willing to part with that extra copy icon-hotrod.gif

ADVENTURE TIME!!!!

#19 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

is sony looking to to sell games by downloading old titles ala xbox and Wii?

I am trying to debate if i should try to find a 60 gb or just get a4 0.

#20 Crypt

Crypt

Noodle Poodle

• Citizen
  • 12959 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

Well I just finished the game. It's great. Admittedly, though, this really isn't a game. It has waaaaay more cutscenes than gameplay. Took me about 21 hours to beat (gameplay + movies). It's also the biggest fan wank in the history of the world. I've never seen so much fan service as this game has. Which is great for people who have played all of the games, but everyone else will basically be lost.

Gameplay wise the game feels like a perfected MGS3. They took out all the gay crap like the cumbersome camo and the medical system. It's also geared to fit both those who like action and those who like stealth. With the drebin system, it makes it possible to run and gun if you want to. I chose stealth mostly and it's pretty hard in some place. But I will also say that the octocamo is probably over powered because you can get 99% coverage even while crouching. The new moves that snake sports (rolling on his back, firing from his back, etc) are pretty useless in the single player mode. You probably won't use them at all. What I am saying is that the gameplay mechanics really haven't changed. However, the new moves come in handy in the multiplayer mode a lot. Now that isn't to say the gameplay style hasn't changed any. The stealth on the battlefield is pretty cool. It's rewarding to get through an entire area unspotted, which is a lot harder this time around considering the ridiculously huge areas. The AI is also much better at spotting you this time around, although it's really stupid at some points when dealing with the octocamo. The whole picking sides thing is overhyped I would say. I mean you can pick whether or not you wanna help someone, but basically you give a militia dude a ration near the beginning and they're your allies the rest of the game. Really all the additions and hype that kojima made about the new gameplay is overblown. They're small changes that really don't affect the core gameplay we've had since MGS2.

Boss battles in this game are pretty generic. I don't find any of them anywhere near as impressive as The End battle in MGS3. They're also all pretty easy. You can get through all of them without using a ration on normal mode. And by the last boss fight, you'll find the way they all die really freaking annoying. And I'm just talking about the 4 main bosses. There are other fights that are just insanely awesome, but I won't spoil them.

Graphically the game is just beautiful. I know the game doesn't have the highest res textures out there, but when you actually see the game in action, they're stunning. Especially the areas in Act 2. The scenery is also one of the most diverse I've seen for any game.

When concerning audio, you cannot beat this game. It's the best audio of any game ever. There's so much background noise, and then given the music played in some levels, I just can't get over the quality.

And then there's the story. If you're a metal gear fan, it's the fanwankinest story on the planet. I will admit that it suffers from Return of the King Syndrome, but unlike return of the king, I didn't wanna kill myself waiting for the story to end. It's also embarassing in some places. I won't explain, but if you play through you'll understand. In any case, it is epic. You'll think it's *scrubbed* if you haven't played other MGS games, but for me I loved it.

Now I'm gonna give this game two ratings: There's the MGS fan in me that loves it, and then I can think about it in the sense of regular gamers who aren't fans of it.

MGS Fan: 10/10

Non MGS Fan: 8/10
I just don't think there's enough gameplay to keep people interested in the games if they don't know the story. There are just way too many cutscenes if you don't want story. However, your average graphics whore will love it, and action gamers will get a kick out of the billions of ways to kill people.