Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Telly : (16 October 2019 - 10:48 PM)

my walmart is acting true to form. as soon as mirage arrives from amazon, my walmart gets his entire wave in after months of having wave 1 clogging the pegs....

@  Nevermore : (16 October 2019 - 05:18 PM)

I stirred up some trouble at work, complained about the blatant neglect of employee safety. Was asked to take photos and write down the locations so the matter could be properly escalated. Made me feel a little better.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

@  Benbot : (09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM)

Those are too friendly--what if he was a Decepticon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM)

Cheesewagon

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Bus-Top has a very GoBot vibe

@  Bass X0 : (08 October 2019 - 10:51 AM)

I actually never heard of the name Megalodon until recently.

@  Noideaforaname : (08 October 2019 - 09:44 AM)

Bus-Top, Omnibus, Cerebus, Busicus, Busicon

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Otto

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Frizzle

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Crankshaft?

@  Benbot : (08 October 2019 - 08:55 AM)

What's a good name for a school bus Transformer?

@  lastmaximal : (08 October 2019 - 12:57 AM)

Huh. There's a neat name for Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megs.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 October 2019 - 11:44 AM)

It's a submarine, we swear!

@  Otaku : (07 October 2019 - 11:26 AM)

@Bass X0 Letting myself comment to say "That's a good one!" and ask "Would a megalodon be a good fit for Megatron?"

@  Benbot : (07 October 2019 - 07:59 AM)

Ohhh good one

@  Bass X0 : (07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM)

I now want a Decepticon shark called Megalotron.

@  TriBlurr : (06 October 2019 - 05:47 PM)

Gives them time to screw up the color of his hands. :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 October 2019 - 12:33 PM)

His bulk is too great to teleport across such distances.

@  Sabrblade : (06 October 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Cuz it'll take that long to mass produce.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 October 2019 - 10:47 AM)

Why is Unicron coming in 2021 and not 2020?

Photo
- - - - -

Movie Magic you couldn't come to terms with

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
120 replies to this topic

#21 (Deactivated) Smitty

(Deactivated) Smitty
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

Nattily Portman going for a 10 year old boy.

#22 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43912 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Roadgrabber @ May 26 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or The Wizard, which REALLY should have known better, where the kid gets a massive score in less than a minute on the demo screen

Plus, the kid got the secret whistle in the first castle stage without knowing that there is anything up there let alone a whistle to take him to the later worlds.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#23 Fishbug

Fishbug

Coming out of my can and I've been doing just fine

• Citizen
  • 11929 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Skysaurus @ May 26 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tend to get bugged about any scene depicting animals doing wicked awesome stuff that totally goes against actual animal behavior and physiology.

Example 1: The fight between the Spinosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus in Jurassic Park 3. First off, this is why animals mark their territory with scents, so the less dominant predator doesn't go wandering around in the more dominant predator's hunting area. Secondly, if they do run into each other, they wouldn't immediately launch into BATTLE TO THE DEATH!!!1 since that would mean that even the winner would risk its future fitness and survival if it got injured during the struggle. It would more likely be a visual display of threats and the weaker combatant would back off.

I see you've neglected to mention when the Spino pulled a Steven Seagal at the end of the fight.
25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#24 Crypt

Crypt

Noodle Poodle

• Citizen
  • 12959 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

Here's one that gets me. I'm completely okay with the fact that Sandman is a human made out of sand, and event the fact that he can make himself monsterous or resembled skin. However, him making his own clothing and then coloring it green drives me nuts.

Or that doc oc has an inhibitor chip that keeps these tentacles from turning him evil. Did he program them to be evil or something because he starts off by talking about how it keeps them from influencing him. Irritating.

#25 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Never to rest, always on a quest

• Supporter
  • 45191 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

Empty, excessive CG. Sure, use it when it's something that's not physically plausible, but there's no substitute for using real human actors. See just about every movie with a large battle sequence (Lord of the Rings and Star Wars Episode 2 come to mind).

Speaking of Episode 2; why does their technology look so polished and new, and then apparently the entire galaxy downgrades by Episode 4? Annoying inconsistency.

#26 rodimus primevil

rodimus primevil

I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Citizen
  • 6542 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(aDam @ May 26 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HIGHLIGHT to view:
A man swinging from vine to vine with monkeys.

Fencing between two moving cars.

Stradling 2 moving cars while branches hit a man in the crotch.

A swarm of ants carrying away a person.

Just to name a few...

Hold up, the first two I give you credit, it would be nearly impossible to do that, however, the last one, the ants carrying away a person, is totally possible. Ants are supa strong. Ask any antomologist and they will agree with me.

Edited by Galenraff, 26 May 2008 - 04:30 PM.

Silent Bob: Adventure, excitement... a Jedi craves not these things.

#27 Stormrave

Stormrave

Decepticon Field Commander

• Retired Staff
  • 21315 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

When there's a battle and yet someone/everyone knows exactly what is going on, where, at every second.

Depending on what kind of movie it is:

When the "hero" is able to shoot his gun with such accuracy that he can pick what part of the villain he will hit--ie, he's able to shoot a knife out of the villain's hand without any risk of killing the villain or his hostage. (by "what kind of movie," I don't mind this sort of thing in superhero movies, or over-the-top action flicks like Die Hard that you're not supposed to take seriously anyway, but in any film that's trying to be otherwise "realistic," giving the idea that RL cops and soldiers can reliably shoot weapons out of enemies' hands (ie, that a non-lethal shot is better than going for a killing shot) does no favour to cops and soldiers, because it doesn't work like that IRL.)
Pilot, Writer, Decepticon

http://www.fictorian...ns/mary-pletsch

#28 (Deactivated) Moroboshi Ataru

(Deactivated) Moroboshi Ataru
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(Skysaurus @ May 26 2008, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Bass X10 @ May 26 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blaster contacts Optimus Prime on Moon Base 2 then Prime takes about a day to get to Earth.

Unicron eats the moon bases then takes ages to get to Cybertron aterwards.

I'm not sure if that's movie magic or contrived plot.

Yeah, I think a more appropriate "WTF" moment would be Prime calling up Jazz and Cliffjumper on a viewscreen...even though they're apparently in the next room or something, considering that a few minutes later, they're standing behind him. I guess Prime's one of those "Push a button on his desk to summon the secretary" types. ^ ^

#29 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43912 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Moroboshi Ataru @ May 26 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blaster contacts Optimus Prime on Moon Base 2 then Prime takes about a day to get to Earth.

Yeah, I think a more appropriate "WTF" moment would be Prime calling up Jazz and Cliffjumper on a viewscreen...even though they're apparently in the next room or something, considering that a few minutes later, they're standing behind him. I guess Prime's one of those "Push a button on his desk to summon the secretary" types. ^ ^

Okay, how about when Bumblebee and Spike are running to their escape ship and pieces of the floor they are running on are being torn up yet Bumblebee and Spike are uneffected?

Yeah, Prime's probably the type of guy who doesn't want to have to shout across a room to somebody else.

Edited by Bass X10, 26 May 2008 - 02:57 PM.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#30 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Never to rest, always on a quest

• Supporter
  • 45191 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(Bass X10 @ May 26 2008, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Moroboshi Ataru @ May 26 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, how about when Bumblebee and Spike are running to their escape ship and pieces of the floor they are running on are being torn up yet Bumblebee and Spike are uneffected?

Magno-tread. Yeah.

#31 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 18046 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(Moroboshi Ataru @ May 26 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...my strange train of thought makes me wanna see Spaceballs, as acted out by Transformers. With Prime as President Scroob. icon-fire.gif

UnHImyv.png

#32 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9115 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

Jar Jar Binks

Nuff Said.

#33 Nick Shogun

Nick Shogun

Warm Liquid Goo Stage Beginning

• Validating
  • 1295 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Jesse (M_P) @ May 26 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(aDam @ May 26 2008, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HIGHLIGHT to view:
A man swinging from vine to vine with monkeys.

Fencing between two moving cars.

Stradling 2 moving cars while branches hit a man in the crotch.

A swarm of ants carrying away a person.

Just to name a few...

you stole mine!

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Also, falling off three waterfalls and emerging unscathed.

Edited by Galenraff, 26 May 2008 - 04:30 PM.

#34 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42195 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

Actually, that's totally possible. I did it a couple of times when I was younger.

Course, it depends on what your contextual definition of it is.
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#35 rodimus primevil

rodimus primevil

I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Citizen
  • 6542 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

Also totally possible would be the scene from Temple of Doom where Indi and Willi jump from the window and onto three or four cloth overhangs and survives.
Silent Bob: Adventure, excitement... a Jedi craves not these things.

#36 son of unicron

son of unicron
  • Citizen
  • 15291 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

taking a 10 minute ( to read ) kids book and making it into a feature length film..

( i just got back from a cheap theatre viewing of horton hears a who, and it was god awefull.. and i *like* kids movies! )

#37 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15443 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

first off, all you people disrespecting hackers are just fat.

you know what bugs me? both "It's okay, I've just been shot" and people talking during a gunfight. Nevermind how stupid it is when two people are able to dodge fifty gunmen with nothing but quasi-erotic dancing (Mr. And Mrs. Smith), however I guess I can understand how those two firearm misconceptions have developed after Hollywood has grown so distant from reality.

Woooo!

#38 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42195 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(rodimus primevil @ May 26 2008, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also totally possible would be the scene from Temple of Doom where Indi and Willi jump from the window and onto three or four cloth overhangs and survives.

Oh! Mythbusters covered this... I just wish I could remember what conclusion they drew...
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#39 (Deactivated) Cyberpumpkin

(Deactivated) Cyberpumpkin
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(Zodberg @ May 26 2008, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
first off, all you people disrespecting hackers are just fat.

Oh, that was awesome!

Okay, here's my biggest peeves:

"I got shot? I forgot!" - People should not forget about bullet wounds. Even a grazing shot should hurt enough to be distracting, but having a hole in yourself should be downright unbearable, unless you're, like, a battle-hardened pirate or something. The best example I can remember off the top of my head is when the guy gets shot in the gut near the end of season 1 of Heroes, and a few minutes later he seems to have forgotten all about it. Like you can shake off something like that. That bugs me far and away more than the A-Team Effect.

Lazy wire effects - This shouldn't happen anymore. A movie produced in 2008 shouldn't feature someone who gets punched, so he picks up his legs and floats in a straight line through the air until he hits a wall. A super-powered jump should take off fast, slow down to the top of his arc, land as if, well, as if he's falling and hitting the ground, not like he's floating gently up into the air and back down at a constant speed. It seems to me this stuff should be possible with the editing, stunt and CG technology available these days.

#40 Mr Smitt

Mr Smitt

The Trukk-Munky

• Citizen
  • 1771 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

Sound in space, space ships fighting at a range of only a few hundred feet, starship fleets packed closely together, explosions in space (or at least, really big, long-lasting ones), visable lasers, sci-fi is not for people who like science.