Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

@  Benbot : (09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM)

Those are too friendly--what if he was a Decepticon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM)

Cheesewagon

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Bus-Top has a very GoBot vibe

@  Bass X0 : (08 October 2019 - 10:51 AM)

I actually never heard of the name Megalodon until recently.

@  Noideaforaname : (08 October 2019 - 09:44 AM)

Bus-Top, Omnibus, Cerebus, Busicus, Busicon

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Otto

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Frizzle

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Crankshaft?

@  Benbot : (08 October 2019 - 08:55 AM)

What's a good name for a school bus Transformer?

@  lastmaximal : (08 October 2019 - 12:57 AM)

Huh. There's a neat name for Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megs.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 October 2019 - 11:44 AM)

It's a submarine, we swear!

@  Otaku : (07 October 2019 - 11:26 AM)

@Bass X0 Letting myself comment to say "That's a good one!" and ask "Would a megalodon be a good fit for Megatron?"

@  Benbot : (07 October 2019 - 07:59 AM)

Ohhh good one

@  Bass X0 : (07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM)

I now want a Decepticon shark called Megalotron.

@  TriBlurr : (06 October 2019 - 05:47 PM)

Gives them time to screw up the color of his hands. :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 October 2019 - 12:33 PM)

His bulk is too great to teleport across such distances.

@  Sabrblade : (06 October 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Cuz it'll take that long to mass produce.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 October 2019 - 10:47 AM)

Why is Unicron coming in 2021 and not 2020?

@  wonko the sane? : (06 October 2019 - 06:47 AM)

Shut up rattrap.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 October 2019 - 11:58 PM)

We're all gonna die!

@  Rodimus Supreme : (05 October 2019 - 09:29 PM)

UNICRON GOT MADE, BOIS!!!

@  Trpodeca : (05 October 2019 - 07:19 AM)

They seem to be treating all the games with the same reverence.Even ReCoded, which was just an excuse to redo the first game again.

@  Trpodeca : (05 October 2019 - 07:18 AM)

For the first time in about eight years,I've played a Kingdom Hearts game.

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 October 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Redjac Redjac Redjac

Photo
- - - - -

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#101 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14605 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(Detective Fork @ May 24 2008, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't realize they were fake until I saw it mentioned in a forum.

... and you had your eyes open during the movie?
Yep.

#102 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5409 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE(Vicious @ May 26 2008, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Each Indiana Jones movie deals with religion.
1. Judaism
2. Hinduism
3. Christianity
4. ALIENS... er, um... I guess, Scientology?

To be fair, it was made quite clear in the movie that the skulls WERE a religious artifact, at least to certain South American tribes.

#103 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40456 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(Jesse (M_P) @ May 26 2008, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(son of unicron @ May 26 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im not sure why so many people are complaining about aliens and such... if you want realistic treasure hunting go watch national treasure, eh?

maybe because it clashes with the first 3? If I wanted jive, I would have watched it...oh wait, I did.

Remember when in the first film, the Ark of the Covenant opened up, and all these angels swarmed around from heaven, and then they turned into demons, and then they melted everyone, and then everything got sucked up into heaven, and then the lid fell back down and landed on the Ark just right?

Remember when in the second film, they ripped out the guy's heart, and it was still beating in the other guy's hand, and the guy stayed alive as they lowered him into the volcano?

Remember when in the third film, they found magic water that only works the right way if you drink it from the right magic cup?

Realism!

#104 (Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists

(Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:52 AM

Yeah, Lucas' influence really drug the movie down.

a high-speed minecart race through tons of tunnels, followed by gushing water?, gimme a break....

oh wait, uhm yeah.

you got problems with the Tarzan scene, and your problems aren't with this movie, they're just problems.

#105 (Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists

• Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE(videomaster21XX @ May 24 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Lucas Touch wasn't just the CGI, it was the horrible sci-fi plot.

Well Jurassic Park was done by Spielberg, and cloning dinosaurs seemed pretty 'sci-fi' at the time. So does using a delorean to travel through time, or having an Alien just want to 'phone home'

How can we be sure the sci fi touch was all Lucas?

Early reports said that Lucas wanted the film to be called "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars".

I'm not kidding.

it took a lot of struggling from Spielberg to get a script they could both agree on, and even MORE struggling to get Ford on board.

#106 (Deactivated) Mr.Blisterfists

• Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(aDam @ May 26 2008, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's like it was bad on purpose.

Clearly you don't understand the meaning of "B-Movie".

#107 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19182 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(The Walky @ May 26 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Jesse (M_P) @ May 26 2008, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(son of unicron @ May 26 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im not sure why so many people are complaining about aliens and such... if you want realistic treasure hunting go watch national treasure, eh?

maybe because it clashes with the first 3? If I wanted jive, I would have watched it...oh wait, I did.

Remember when in the first film, the Ark of the Covenant opened up, and all these angels swarmed around from heaven, and then they turned into demons, and then they melted everyone, and then everything got sucked up into heaven, and then the lid fell back down and landed on the Ark just right?

Remember when in the second film, they ripped out the guy's heart, and it was still beating in the other guy's hand, and the guy stayed alive as they lowered him into the volcano?

Remember when in the third film, they found magic water that only works the right way if you drink it from the right magic cup?

Realism!

Yeah well, that's all Judeo/Christian realism, not that South American hoo-doo like the fourth film! ;) icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif

Edited by Dake, 27 May 2008 - 11:40 AM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#108 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39012 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

Rather than try to tag all the spoilers in my review, I'm just going to put the whole thing in tags except for the last paragraph.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Okay, so let me start off by saying that I went into this movie with only two spoilers, Marian was going to return and that Mutt was their son. These things were spoiled for me a long time ago. One of them was spoiled by Lucas and Spielberg themselves at a G4 video press conference at Comic con, the other by a radio DJ a few months back. Had I no idea that Marion would be returning, then that would have made that scene a 100 times better than it was. I had no idea about the Russians, Cate Blanchet, or the inter-dimensional aliens. Personally, I enjoyed the film. I thought that the plot was lacking some serious development, but other than that, I enjoyed it.

Let me start off by saying that Mac’s character was the worst part of this film. I seriously felt no connection to him and I felt that he dragged down the film. Who cares about this guy? He is introduced and 5 minutes later, we find out that he is a traitor, and then the rest of the film, he sort of limps along until the end where his greed makes him have his very predictable clich? death. Seriously, edit this film and remove him from it entirely, and the picture would be a lot better for it. It like he is a last minute replacement for Brody, whose actor passed away in 1992 due to AIDS, or Henry Jones Sr, whose actor(Sean Connery) refuses to do acting work anymore thanks to Bay’s film The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or Sallah's character.

Okay, now for Russians. They make decent Nazi replacements, although they really aren’t handled well at all. Basically, they just have them be no named villains that show up and shoot people and take the loot. Only two of them have any personality at all, and for most of the film, they are just cannon fodder. I felt that they could have done better humanizing the Russians like they did the Nazi troops.

Mutt’s character was okay. Shia, however, really looks too boyish still to be an action star and that takes away a little from the character. I am hopeful that this will change for the next film, especially if the rumors are true that he will be the main star the next time, with Harrison being the guest star. Harrison still looks and acts the part of Indiana. Age hasn’t slowed him down that much, although, it is quite apparent that he has aged over the last 19 years.

The opening scene was good, but they really should have just started off with them pulling into the military base, as the race scene was rather pointless, other than to give George an excuse to have some American Graffiti styled scenes. The warehouse scene was good other than Mac’s character, which will now be shortened to OTMC for future reference. The whip swinging was great and the fist fights were classic. The Rocket sled was great and was classic Indy humor. The Ark cameo was great too.

The test town explosion was a tad bit too much to believe, and it popped my bubble of suspension of disbelief. Not to say that they didn’t have Test Towns then, but the fact that he survived a nuclear explosion at close to Ground Zero by getting inside of a lead lined refrigerator. First off, the fridge would be incinerated just like the walls of the houses. Secondly, the fridge would not protect him from the extreme amount of radiation, lined with lead or not. Thirdly, the force of the fridge landing alone would be enough to break every bone in his body, never mind the force of it launching or impacting into other objects.

I really didn’t like that the FBI had Indy fired from the university, as it really was quite pointless and stupid. Anyone with his record should have been above reproach or suspicion. This whole suspicion is dropped after this scene and the FBI are just forgotten, so why is this even there?

Moving to Mutt’s appearance at the train station, the subsequent chase scene was probably the best action scene of the film. The library part was quite hilarious, especially in the use of the standard scream. This brings us to one of the negative points in the film, the archeology. In the past, this was always a big thing for them. It’s what makes Indy different from the other action heroes. In this film they sort of just skate right on through it. I was highly disappointed with the fact that no one ever fond the conquistadors until Ox found them, but then Indy, without a map to the site, can find them in the dark, and get past the teenage locals with dart guns, find the Crystal Skull, and yet manage to get caught by Mac and the Russians.

The following interrogation scene was ridiculous. The best part about it was that Mac got his nose broken. Seeing John Hurt playing a delirious Ox was funny, but it wore out and got old pretty quickly. The following scene where Marion shows up is great, as is the escape scene where he finds out that Mutt is his kid. I must admit that I loved it when he switched into father mode. The use of a snake as a rope, and them having to call it a rope was just beyond awesome. The subsequent truck ride through the Amazon jungle was great as well with them actually having some great dialog. OTMC, the action scene that followed was great, until the part where Mutt starts swinging on vines like Tarzan to catch up with the vehicles that he got knocked off of. That kind of thing was another bubble popper. The “Big Damn Ants” were actually kind of neat and seeing them drag the Russian guy into the colony was creepy. The three waterfalls that followed that scene really were very difficult to believe that they could endure.

The City of gold was quite disappointing itself, as you are expecting a city of gold not stone, but the alien parts were quite interesting to me. Having an early civilization advanced by aliens is a neat idea, and fits in perfectly with the 50’s Sci Fi genre they seemed to be going for, that being said, I think that their execution of it. I don’t see that it is that big of a jump between the Supernatural plots of the past three films, such as the Ark of the Covenant, which can slay entire armies with God’s Wrath, or the Stones that seem to imbue life to entire regions of land and give people tremendous magical abilities, or the Holy Grail, a cup that gives the drinker long life(immortal if the drinker stays in the temple) and heals wounds. Compared to those, aliens aren’t that big of a change from the norm.

The whole Mac not being a double agent was lame and really shouldn’t have been there. A better way to have handled it would have been if the Russians knew he was a double agent and had planted one of those tracking devices on him. Mac’s death was quite predictable and really was just a rip off of the film The Mummy. The Head Russian’s death was great, but it seemed too predictable as well. OTMC, I thought that they handled the spaceship scene very well, and seeing Ox return to normal was cool. Not too sure what the gift was that the Alien gave them, but I loved the line after they left where Indy says his dad is smiling somewhere due to Indy having to deal with his son like Indy was to his dad.

The wedding scene was great and Mutt almost getting to put on the hat was awesome. Sort of like how the torch isn’t passed yet. It’s good to see Indiana finally end up with the girl that he should have had in the first place.

Overall, I did enjoy the film. Despite it’s faults, I’d still place it above Temple of Doom if I were to order the four films in order of which were best, but it isn’t anywhere near the level of Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade. I’d give this film a 4 out of 5. If you like the other films, you will want to see this one too.

Edited by The Predaking, 29 May 2008 - 09:20 AM.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#109 Skyfire

Skyfire

Ain't it beautiful?

• Citizen
  • 1649 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

One thing that bugged me was the use of the "magnetic" properties of the skull/skeleton.

In the interogation scene, when the skull is carried to be put in front of Indy, the lamp swings toward it. But, it is this very attention to detail that makes it annoying. If that lamp were doing that, just about every single tiny bit of metal (and yes, it seems to have been more than just iron) would have been heading to it. Instead, they just picked which items would be attracted to the skull and which wouldn't. This occurs any time the skull appears. I was fully expecting a scene where the Russians would have the skull with them, then fire their guns at Indy/Mac/et al, and have the bullets swing back to them. However, it didn't.

I can get by the "it's only magnetic when uncovered" bit, since it *is* an artifact. However, that doesn't explain why the first skeleton was magnetic when completely sealed in the crate.

On the whole, however, I enjoyed the film. It's just a story.

#110 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39012 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#111 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Mr.Blisterfists @ May 27 2008, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently not, since I thought it meant a budget movie, and this movie cost 185 million dollars.

#112 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19182 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

Indy being harrassed by the Feds and subsequent difficulties is not far from realistic. It didn't take much to lose most eveything during the crazy Red Scare days if someone got the wrong idea.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#113 BHFlint

BHFlint

Bork!

• Retired Staff
  • 30666 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(aDam @ May 28 2008, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently not, since I thought it meant a budget movie, and this movie cost 185 million dollars.

Then I'll give you another couple of words: "Pulp adventure." Usually goes hand in hand with "B-movie".

#114 (Deactivated) MP5

(Deactivated) MP5
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(Dr Fang @ May 28 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then I'll give you another couple of words: "Pulp adventure." Usually goes hand in hand with "B-movie".

I'll give you another couple of words. Butt. And boobs. I'd just like to say that again, boobs.

#115 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE(Dr Fang @ May 28 2008, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure, but it's the furthest thing from a budget movie. I'm sorry if I expected something in the same ball park as the quality of the first 3 movies. Apparently because something's a throwback we're supposed to accept it being horrible.