Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (16 July 2020 - 09:43 AM)

Circuit-breaker '84, this is Megatron's rubber duck. We've got ourselves a Rodimus Convoy. Do you copy? Over.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 07:06 AM)

I'm not going to sit here and bicker with you. I've made my point very clear and have nothing more to say on the issue.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 07:00 AM)

I can't do anything to prevent hurricanes either but it'd be absurd to suggest I therefore shouldn't talk about them.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:57 AM)

Basically neither you nor I even like South Park anyways so the best you can do is leave it alone rather than suggest it is corrupting hearts and minds.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

In that case I'm... not sure what the point is?

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:53 AM)

Nobody should be taking their morals from South Park. You can't prevent people from doing it. It's an artistic work with fans. I don't think I'm off-track.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:51 AM)

As far as I can tell you just of course'd the thing you were poopooing...

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

Also, this is starting to get a bit too serious for the shoutbox (though it already was)

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

"It's that they're internalizing the overall attitude that the writers display through the show's writing." Of course, that's South Park's "artistic" style. It's what South Park's audience wants, and that's okay.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

You can probably finish the sentence "I got 50% of my sense of humor from" with the name of some fictional work.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

And it still wouldn't be S.W.A.T.'ss or Grey's Anatomy's or South Park's fault.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

The idea isn't that people are taking South Park's in-universe parody moral lessons seriously (though as Nevermore points out, you can't safely assume that isn't also happening). It's that they're internalizing the overall attitude that the writers display through the show's writing.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

"People say" those people are right, and you should listen to them. We can't protect people from themselves, but you can advise them well.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:27 AM)

So many medical disasters because someone took what they saw on a hospital show at face value.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:25 AM)

So many people who think police and court procedure works like it does in Hollywood, and act accordingly. Sometimes to their own disadvantage, sometimes just to the frustration of well-meaning authorities.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:24 AM)

People say "you shouldn't take your morals from a TV show" all the time, but regardless of how these people want things to work doesn't mean other people aren't doing it anyways.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:01 AM)

And I mean, if you're looking for a 1950s conservative position on something, it's certainly that a TV show is rotting children's minds.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:00 AM)

Conservatives are not hiding under the bed waiting to ruin... uh... Family Guy of all things? And like, nobody should be taking their morals from South Park. Expecting such things is impractical.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

It was just the cartoon with those foul mouthed kids in the UK until that bubble burst after the movie. Reviewers joked the movies target audience would be unable to see it for the rating.

@  Paladin : (15 July 2020 - 05:14 PM)

see also: "South Park." the show that poisoned a generation by teaching them "it's stupid to feel for other people."

@  Rycochet : (15 July 2020 - 11:04 AM)

'Take that! People who care about things!'

@  Rycochet : (15 July 2020 - 11:02 AM)

With Brian, he stopped being the voice of reason and started to be the right wing notion of a liberal, someone who's lazy, pretentious, doesn't work at anything, is every bit as abusive as the rest of the cast and only wins arguments with strawmen.

@  Otaku : (15 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

Of course, I stopped enjoying Family Guy around that time, so my bias is clear. XP

@  Otaku : (15 July 2020 - 10:54 AM)

Is it because they changed or we changed?  Stuff that was charming, or at least, funny at first can get really annoying the longer you know a person... and I find that can go for fictional characters as well.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

familyguyjar.png

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 July 2020 - 03:45 AM)

One example is Family Guy where around season 8 Brian is suddenly reviled by everyone and has acted way out of character since.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 July 2020 - 03:44 AM)

My least favorite thing in fiction is when it changes hands so you get a author, writer or showrunner who hates a character or messes with a arc/layout.

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

You'll shoot yer eye out, kid.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I shot the sheriff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:24 PM)

han wasn't even in the movie until later

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:23 PM)

the stormtroopers shot first

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Maclunkey

@  Paladin : (14 July 2020 - 06:18 AM)

the correct answwer to "who shot first" will always be "Harrison Ford if he ever hears that hugging question again."

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 July 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Han shot first. Plain and simple.

@  -LittleAutob... : (13 July 2020 - 06:21 PM)

\(-_-)

@  Bass X0 : (13 July 2020 - 05:26 PM)

"Here's a little---whatever. A little thing. A disclosure. An insight. Revisionism---I've always been fascinated by it. By the idea of a writer going back and altering things. Make no mistake: an edit is a profoundly aggressive act. As Froid once said, we grieve for the murdered word. If you want to get the measure of an author, don't look at what they've left on the page.... look at what they've taken away." -- Rung (MTMTE #28)

@  Verno : (11 July 2020 - 11:20 PM)

2021: :idea :rolleyes :p :D

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

Photo

Who do you think is the most difficult boss of all time?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#21 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE(Chris_Lv255 @ May 5 2008, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nominees for Toughest Boss Ever:

The "You cannot run, hide, or escape" award: YETI from Skifree

QUOTE(Goblez @ May 5 2008, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh god. the Yeti....

that brings back frustrating memories

Actually, once you get it down it's pretty easy to get away from the Yeti
and that's actually become my favorite part of the game. (Yes, I have it
installed on my XP machine).
Yep.

#22 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

Yes, you can get away from it, but he will come back. That sumbitch doesn't give up for long.

#23 MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch

Handling lasers by hand

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

I hate those stupid shooting spaceship scrolling games.
It's time to bring the crunch!

#24 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Trank Teds @ May 5 2008, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate those stupid shooting spaceship scrolling games.

OH-HO-HO.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 05 May 2008 - 03:04 PM.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#25 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Roadgrabber @ May 5 2008, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, you can get away from it, but he will come back. That sumbitch doesn't give up for long.

You've got 15-20 seconds before he shows up again... You just need to find another jump...
Yep.

#26 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33613 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

These crazy games with a billion squares coming at you? That's just no fun.

As Penny Arcade put it when talking about some game: "The game is not challenging, it's difficult to play, and it's taken many years but I'm ready to begin making this distinction."

I can't agree more. I look at crap like these things now completely differently. Becoming very good at overcoming detriments to fun in games doesn't make the game fun. Getting good at a fun game that is playable and enjoyable is far more rewarding because it's fun every time.

I never did beat Dragon Warrior. That damn thing at the end would always kill me. I'd probably rank that as my top choice.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#27 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9519 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

Dragon Warrior for the NES? That was the first RPG I beat. Whats so hard about it? The only annoying thing was trying to search for unmarked items like in the destroyed town.

Edited by darthirian, 06 May 2008 - 01:37 PM.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#28 Frost181

Frost181

Adorable and also on fire

• Citizen
  • 3937 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

I gave up on Yiazmat in FFXII because he kept killing my party quicker than I could rez them on his last bar.

#29 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21499 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

The worst boss I've ever had to face is that damned Boost-Ball gaurdian from Metroid-Prime 2. I've beaten him (twice), but I still have never figured out that pain-in-the-asses pattern. I hate him sooooo much.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#30 Crazy Drummer?

Crazy Drummer?

Mike!

• Citizen
  • 1311 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 6 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The worst boss I've ever had to face is that damned Boost-Ball gaurdian from Metroid-Prime 2. I've beaten him (twice), but I still have never figured out that pain-in-the-asses pattern. I hate him sooooo much.

I hated that game, I watched here and there, play through it. looked boring and un-eventful, lousy weapons. 3rd one is better, but still not as good as the first prime.

#31 Solarstorm

Solarstorm
  • Citizen
  • 7381 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

Everything in Ninja Gaiden Sigma

"The way YOU are built lends itself to similarly big weapons. Magnus by comparison is a girly man."--Bainreese

#32 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:00 AM

Goddarnscumsucking 2nd End-Week Boss of The World Ends With You.

"ZETTA SLOW!"

AAaagh.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#33 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4160 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

Have a few candidates.

Magneto from X-Men Children of the Atom. Not only does he have a bunch of instant death attacks, a few are unbloackable, and he can put up an inviciblity shield just at the right momment so the countdown ends the match.

Borgan from Lunar 2 (Sega CD). This guy was tougher then the final boss Zophar, who was no push over himself. Borgan had some nasty spells, but he also had three adds that had a bunch of annoying abilities, You could kill them, but he would just re-summon them, and keeping them up was not an option. Positioning made the fight much tougher.

Dark Force (Phantasy Star 2) His first incarnation, Dark Falz in Phantasy Star 1 was pretty nasty, but the version in the sequal was much worse because of his ability to make your characters evil. Better pray he didn't get your healers before the Nei Sword cleansed everyone, or it's time to re-try.

Lassic (Phantasy Star 1 and 4) Another nasty boss from the Phantasy Star series, so scary he manages to make it into two games. His first version in Phantasy Star 1 was bad because all of his attacks were ones that hit everyone in the party. Remember, PS1 had no mass healing spells or items. In PS4 he gets more health and more attacks that, do mass damage. Add to that he has the ability to summon a wall to protect himself from damage. At least in this game you have one character with Sar and Star Mists.

Goldibus (Tech Romancer) Another rediculous Capcom fighting end boss. Tons of nasty attacks, and you get to fight him twice. You also do not regain health before the second, 2 out of 3 match.

Mizuki (Samurai Showdown 2) Capcom isn't alone for having really hard end bosses. Mizuki here is the best example of the word cheap I can think of.

#34 megamagnusagain

megamagnusagain

a winner is you

• Citizen
  • 1984 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

General Raam from Gears of war on Insane difficulty , single player mode, and not having both a tourque bow and Sniper rifle equipped.

aka megamagnus, aka skidsmark

#35 SilverFirePrime

SilverFirePrime

And one more for Jenny and the Wimp

• Citizen
  • 3892 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

Lu Bu in any Dynasty Warriors mode on the highest difficulty. Even the maxed out characters get wiped out in a few hits.

When you find yourself standing on the brink of surrender, know that many in the past faced trials such as your own, but overcame them with their great conviction.
No matter the greatness of your desperation, the failures of your efforts, or the injustice of your treatment, at least a few men have stared into the same challenges and emerged victorious from these tests.
Such men are not only a great source of inspiration, but also the very foundation upon which modern society rests.

From lyric booklet of 'Starfall' by Dragonland

The mind. It boggles.
QUOTE(Alvatron!)
...what's a comicon without a roomful of drunken comic geeks singing showtunes to DDR?

#36 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63225 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

No red line bricks in tetris...

oh what? that doesn't count?

The Goddess hidden boss in Crisis core is being a pain right now... even just getting to her ...should count.

#37 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

• Supporter
  • 2514 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 1. I still to this day cannot beat him.

#38 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5506 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

A few canidates:

Cress (Arena battle) in Tales of Destiny 2 (Enternia). Even after figuring out the best way to hurt him was he tough to take down. But man was it awsome!

Virgil final battle for the orginal release of Devil May Cry 3. Though I'm pretty sure he's so much easier with the trickster abilities. I had Swordmaster though, so I don't know for certain.

Maing in her Opiomorph from Xenogears. So many say there is a trick to make the battle easier. I couldn't figure it out.

But Probably the ACTUAL hardest boss I've ever encountered is:

Naraku at the end of any character quest in InuYasha: Fedual Combat.

Not only does he regenerate his health over time. But he CONSTANTLY teleports around to avoid your attacks. Blocks ANY attempts to super move him. (Or just teleports) AND his Miasma drains your health if you are caught in it. After trying for hours to beat him. I had to give up and just play the character quest using Demon InuYasha. Since his final opponet is Sesshomeru (who can't teleport) It makes the battle actually BEATABLE.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#39 Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0

...or should I?

• Citizen
  • 7776 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

Tidal Wave from the PS2 Transformers game was the first boss battle I fought that felt impossible without being cheap. As in "how the hell am I supposed to beat THAT thing?" I still think that's the most slept on level possibly in game history. I mean, you play through the dude's BODY as the level and afterwards the ENTIRE LEVEL transforms and you fight it. This was before God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. And it was hard as HELL.

#40 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5477 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

I don't know if it'll count, but I'd have to nominate the Battle Arena from Castlevania: Circle of the moon. All thoes rooms filled with monsters who didn't drop anything, with no magic at your disposal, and the devil waiting for you at the end. That section was just freaking insane. If it wasn't for the treasure at the end I wouldn't have wasted all the effort.

Another Mention would have to be the Mobile Armors in Gundam Battle Assault 2.

QUOTE(Treadshot 2.0 @ Jul 1 2008, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tidal Wave from the PS2 Transformers game was the first boss battle I fought that felt impossible without being cheap. As in "how the hell am I supposed to beat THAT thing?" I still think that's the most slept on level possibly in game history. I mean, you play through the dude's BODY as the level and afterwards the ENTIRE LEVEL transforms and you fight it. This was before God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. And it was hard as HELL.

Hells yeah. Basically having to snipe his head, whittling down his HP while running in between two mounds and hoping he doesn't crush you. What made it even more 'fun' was in when you rose the level of difficulty more of thoes annoying Air drones would show up to snipe you. you know, the ones who you needed the Flak Minicon to actually kill with one hit.
spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness