Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Red Dwarf of Transformers? An interesting, innovative and genuinely funny series that descended into a self referential mess of cliches that continues long after it should have been put out to pasture and rendered nerly everyone thoroughly unlikeable? That seems about right.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 01:59 PM)

MTMTE and Lost Light are the Red Dwarf of Transformers stories, as opposed to the others which are more like Star Wars and Star Trek.

@  Kalidor : (17 September 2020 - 01:37 PM)

Anyone in CONUS want a Skylynx for $100 shipped?

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 September 2020 - 01:34 PM)

Maybe an acquired taste in that's in that it's from a fan raised on the UK run where Transformers wasn't taken so seriously in many stories, especially some Earthforce standalones.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2020 - 09:47 AM)

so, terrible?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Yeah I think at that point Lost Light is just the '86 movie without the soundtrack.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 September 2020 - 02:28 AM)

So, exctly what Triangleman just said.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 12:36 AM)

A few of the same characters.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 12:07 AM)

Now having actually read Galaxies #10, I don't actually see what it has in common with Lost Light at all besides featuring Ultra Magnus, Chromedome, and a spaceship.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 05:33 PM)

So, it's exactly like Lost Light, then.

@  Bass X0 : (16 September 2020 - 01:52 PM)

What if Lost Light was stripped bare of its charm and humor? Galaxies #10 is the answer.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 01:49 PM)

I didn't mean "*exactly* 15 years ago and no other time."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 September 2020 - 12:27 AM)

I mean, the comment was about a linewide gimmick of 15 years ago, not a gimmick only present in a minority of toys from that year.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:14 AM)

I'd like a western take on the UT for it's twentieth, like a annual CG or anime movie on Netflix that is a condensed retelling similar to the film Macross/Robotech: Do You Remember Love.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:11 AM)

Giant Planet had them, Energon had a few. I've been disappointed in Siege for not having something for the Micromasters, Earthrise has with the base bots but they've been wasted here.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (15 September 2020 - 10:47 PM)

Wasn't 15 years ago Cyber Keys rather than Minicons?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 September 2020 - 09:38 PM)

By and large, even the worst Minicons have some unique engineering or design elements. The nostalgia factor aside, Micromasters got pretty samey after you got several, especially the "proper" 89 series.

@  unluckiness : (15 September 2020 - 07:13 PM)

There's certainly a load of crummy ones to sift through

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2020 - 05:29 PM)

Or both. There's some overlap.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 September 2020 - 03:19 PM)

People either hated minicons or became completely addicted to them.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 September 2020 - 03:17 PM)

A properly-planned theme, or as people called it 15 years ago, a stupid linewide baby toy gimmick that ruins the toys.

Photo

Sonic Unleashed - new Sonic title?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10639 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

http://www.sonicstad.../sonicnews/437/

I'm pretty cautious. The first screens of Sonic '06 looked great, and look what happened there. Unfortunately, these screens already give me a not so great impression. Weird monster thing, city locales? All that's missing is another new hedgehog character.

Sonic really, desperately needs a reinvention. I'm sure BioWare's RPG will be fantastic, but I'd kill for a solid, well done platformer in the spirit of the Genesis titles. The Sonic Advance series had the right idea, so why can't we see that level on a console game?

Give me a variety of Zones, a small, solid cast that isn't full of fancharacters, and a plot that's just got Dr. Robotnik. The epic time-traveling end of the world stuff is pretty lame.

Maybe I should just go back to playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles. As much as I want Sonic to reach that caliber again, I just don't see it happening.

#2 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

While I loved the Sonic Advance games, as time went on, it seemed they were not as good. Maybe it's the fact that portable Sonic has never been as good as Genesis Sonic, or it may just be THOSE DAMN SPECIAL STAGES!

Seriously, who's the genius that came up with that bit for SA 2. I have yet to even get to a special stage in that game. And SA 3, I just didn't like how that was done. Overall, SA was fun, and rather simple compared to the other two. Nothing has yet come close to matching that feeling of having Sonic 3 attached to Sonic and Knuckles though. That and Sonic 2 are the pinnacle of Sonic gaming.

#3 BlackBaroness

BlackBaroness

Incredible EDBeale BB

• Citizen
  • 2287 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

looks good, but.... its gunna suck

#4 HeyMickey

HeyMickey
  • Supporter
  • 5466 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

These screenshots fill me with dread, particularly the last one with the crates. I too miss the days of Sonic 3 + Kunckles.

Maybe I should pick up Sonic Rush, I've heard it was good.

#5 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

Good Lord, what happened to Sonic's face in the second pic on the third row?

I'm willing to bet that: a) there will be some new character, b) there will be many insta-death pits and shoddy controls that pretty much guarantee death, and c) Super Sonic will only be available for the final boss.

Is Super Sonic in normal levels so much to ask for?

Edited by Sailor Unicron, 22 March 2008 - 10:57 PM.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#6 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:36 PM

Yyyyeah.

I'm gonna have to be the voice of dissent here and say this looks pretty awesome.

"Disabled people dont have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnt a special need. Its a basic human right. Its a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#7 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10639 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

Well, the video does give me some hope. The not-quite sidescrolling sections look pretty much amazing, and the dynamic camera shifts once in a while would be cool. If the majority of the game is done like that, it could be good.

However, Sonic Team is not known for their camera work. I'm not convinced the idea will be executed well.

That's assuming of course, that Sonic Team is working on it. Who knows, the crew behind Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush could be making their debut Sonic console game - something Sega would be smart to orchestrate. There's actually some evidence to support that theory in the video - those colored rings Sonic flies through, the "ring power" gauge, and the speed boost are all game play mechanics from Sonic Rush.

The level design still doesn't strike me as being "awesome". They're missing that classic look that the Genesis games championed. Don't give me a realistic city, give me something crazy. Give me checkered hillsides!

As I said, the video does give me some hope...if I see any other hedgehogs though, I won't be happy - if I see any NEW hedgehogs, I'll just stop paying attention.

#8 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:41 AM

Call me crazy, but I never really saw the "crazy environment" as definitive to Sonic as most people do. Especially since it tends to disappear after the first game... aside from Sonic CD, I guess. I mean, look at Emerald hill. Grass, palm trees, and dirt. It's not hyper realistic, but it's not a fantasy land either.

I don't really see much concern for the camera. The 3D parts look to be on rails.

"Disabled people dont have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnt a special need. Its a basic human right. Its a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#9 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2528 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:46 AM

I'm thinking Sonic Team would be better designing Sonic to control more like a racing game (Holding a button to accelerate rather than constantly holding forward) when he in motion but the player can have full control of Sonic during the FEW times he's stopped. "Timed-button" sequences can be added to give the level/track some style and enemies would be there to be stepping stones to access other areas of the level/track, rather than trying to (cheaply) hit you.

I'm no game designer so I wouldn't know how to incorperate these elements in the game and I know what I suggested may sound like another "Sonic R" or "Sonic Riders".

God I'm tired.
"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#10 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19459 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Mar 22 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, look at Emerald hill. Grass, palm trees, and dirt. It's not hyper realistic, but it's not a fantasy land either.

And naturally forming loop-de-loops.

#11 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:00 AM

And what do you know, those are in this game.

#12 ---The Rat

---The Rat
  • Citizen
  • 3054 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:13 AM

I'll agree with the posts above sonic just hasn't been the same since his 2-d days. I'm not sure if its a result of Sega dropping out of the console market back in the day or what, but ever since the hedgehog went 3-d. The games just went to crap.
They one looks like eye candy, but after the crap control scheme of Sonic on the ps3. I'm perfectly happy to leave him to fond memories of him and beating the hell out my genesis.

#13 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10639 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE(Agent X @ Mar 22 2008, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm thinking Sonic Team would be better designing Sonic to control more like a racing game (Holding a button to accelerate rather than constantly holding forward) when he in motion but the player can have full control of Sonic during the FEW times he's stopped. "Timed-button" sequences can be added to give the level/track some style and enemies would be there to be stepping stones to access other areas of the level/track, rather than trying to (cheaply) hit you.

I'm no game designer so I wouldn't know how to incorperate these elements in the game and I know what I suggested may sound like another "Sonic R" or "Sonic Riders".

God I'm tired.

It actually sounds a bit like Sonic Rivals. Which was not good.

#14 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10639 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:27 AM

Call me crazy, but I never really saw the "crazy environment" as definitive to Sonic as most people do. Especially since it tends to disappear after the first game... aside from Sonic CD, I guess. I mean, look at Emerald hill. Grass, palm trees, and dirt. It's not hyper realistic, but it's not a fantasy land either.

I don't really see much concern for the camera. The 3D parts look to be on rails.

Maybe you're right, to a degree. I just feel that the older levels are better designed, and more memorable. The latter games have certainly taken an even more realistic turn, and I feel the magic is lessened. I just feel like I can take a naturally occurring loop as more believable on a strange checkered hillside than through a 20th century cityscape. Sonic has had some iconic Zones, whereas recent levels might as well have been in any other random game.

I always thought the "our earth" thing was kinda weird.

#15 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Mar 23 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yyyyeah.

I'm gonna have to be the voice of dissent here and say this looks pretty awesome.

See, that there actually looks like some good sonic.

But it depends on how it plays, I guess.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#16 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29284 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:24 AM

Ooooh, that gameplay looks good.

Now watch as the gods of gaming go "Ha ha, only for PS3 and 360. Not for Wiiiiii~!" icon-screamer.gif

#17 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6528 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

I wouldn't discount this being a Wii game, look at these shots:
Sonic Unleashed
http://i3.photobucke...1728-000041.jpg

Sonic and the Secret Rings
http://image.com.com...9_screen038.jpg

My guess is that some of those Unleashed shots are FMV sequences and Sonic Unleashed may be a second gen Wii game.

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#18 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14633 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:34 AM

I'm still not convinced this is real yet. There are some camera moves in the video
that are really amateur and jerky. I think this could end up as a hoax...
Yep.

#19 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(Spectre @ Mar 23 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you're right, to a degree. I just feel that the older levels are better designed, and more memorable. The latter games have certainly taken an even more realistic turn, and I feel the magic is lessened. I just feel like I can take a naturally occurring loop as more believable on a strange checkered hillside than through a 20th century cityscape. Sonic has had some iconic Zones, whereas recent levels might as well have been in any other random game.

I always thought the "our earth" thing was kinda weird.

For every Green Hill, there's a Scrap Brain Zone. Metropolis Zone, or Flying Battery. And more recent games have giant roadways in the sky, forests with giant frogs and humongous mushrooms populated by killer alligators, deserts with giant railways in the sky, and ghost filled haunted zones that are populated by ghosts. I wouldn't call them all "blatantly realistic" by any means, except in the Next Gen game when that was sort of what they were going for. The SA games, Heroes (ESPECIALLY Heroes), the GBA games, Rush, and Rush Adventure have always had a mix.

#20 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10639 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Mar 23 2008, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still not convinced this is real yet. There are some camera moves in the video
that are really amateur and jerky. I think this could end up as a hoax...

If anything, that should tell you it's real. If it were a perfect, fantastic video (of Sonic), THEN I wouldn't believe it.

In any case, apparently Sega Europe has confirmed it, and there are some more renders. Apparently, the playable character roster is limited to Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles (thank god) and Link- er, Sonic has the ability to morph into a huge wolf-like feral beast. (Ugh. Do not want.)