Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Telly : (27 March 2017 - 05:18 PM)

was referring more to how he was suspected of being a traitor in g1. and dreamwave. and 2001 rid. it was sarcastic, hence the :rolleyes  lol

@  Rycochet : (27 March 2017 - 05:10 PM)

Don't expect major events to be forshadowed.

@  Telly : (27 March 2017 - 04:57 PM)

wow! what a twist! mirage is suspected of being a traitor! :rolleyes

@  Telly : (27 March 2017 - 04:49 PM)

yeah im only on issue 4 and its only been like 30 minutes since i started. lots of splash pages and very little dialog

@  unitremover : (27 March 2017 - 04:47 PM)

I read it for the first time about a year ago and my main problem with it was just how little content there seemed to be in the individual issues. I remember thinking that it took probably three issues before I felt like it had really delivered a "proper" issue's worth of story.

@  Telly : (27 March 2017 - 04:33 PM)

id rather read about the galaxy-wide war than yet another story on earth. thats one of the things i loved about formerly r.i.d. but when they went back before combiner wars i lost interest. i read til all are one because of this.

@  Rycochet : (27 March 2017 - 04:24 PM)

It's one of those stories that gets slightly better with age because you know that IDW comics recover, but at the time it was a massive step back, a complex universe where the war was being fought across the galaxy swept away offpanel and replaced by n episode of the cartoon with blood..And there's a fan character we were told we were going to love, inserted to lecture the Autobots.

@  Bass X0 : (27 March 2017 - 04:12 PM)

Its not a bad story really, but then I've read actual bad TF event stories by IDW that came later. There is one major turnabout that happens off panel with no explanation that should have been addressed better though.

@  Telly : (27 March 2017 - 04:08 PM)

im about to start reading all hail megatron. wish me luck...

@  RC85747 : (27 March 2017 - 03:56 PM)

Bow to the evil unicorn

@  RichardT1977 : (27 March 2017 - 03:55 PM)

The G1 film had multiple good songs.

@  Dracula : (27 March 2017 - 03:37 PM)

he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

@  Robowang : (27 March 2017 - 03:36 PM)

he's fat.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (27 March 2017 - 02:39 PM)

What do y'all think of Shrek?

@  Evac : (27 March 2017 - 01:51 PM)

Put down that chainsaw and listen to me! It's time for us to join in the fight!

@  Evac : (27 March 2017 - 01:51 PM)

At least the G1 film had one good song.

@  Boomhauer : (27 March 2017 - 01:27 PM)

I think I'd rather take neither, because ROTF being awful doesn't magically make the G1 Film stop being terrible.

@  Bass X0 : (27 March 2017 - 12:56 PM)

I'll take a children's movie where everyone talks like Wreck-Gar over a children's movie that has dog sex, masturbation, drugs, golden showers and enemy scrotum.

@  Rycochet : (27 March 2017 - 12:12 PM)

Oh-ee-yay! Talespin!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2017 - 10:09 AM)

Superman.....

@  Sabrblade : (27 March 2017 - 09:27 AM)

"I... am not... a gun."

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:42 PM)

Another great 90's animated film is, of course, The Iron Giant.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 03:25 PM)

Another thing I liked about The Prince of Egypt was that it explained (without even having to say it outright) why Moses was chosen to deliver the Israelites from Egypt. Someone who had been raised among the slaves would have had too much bitterness and would want to go in throwing the wrath of God on all the Egyptians (or at least the royal family) until they all burned alive. But Moses had been raised as a member of the royal family, so he still thought of them as family. He wanted to reach a peaceful solution if at all possible.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:04 PM)

"I know! I'll turn him into a flea. A harmless little flea, and then I'll put that flea in a box, and then put that box inside of another box, and when it arrives - AHAHAHA! I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMAH! It's brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT, I tell you! Genius, I say!"

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:03 PM)

Hell, The Emperor's New Groove is easily the funniest animated film ever. Disney managed to do what Dreamworks tried to do, and they did it right.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:02 PM)

None of their "funny" movies are anywhere near as funny as Aladdin or The Emperor's New Groove.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:02 PM)

Its a pity Dreamworks devolved into a company that churned out "funny" films filled with pop culture references.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 03:00 PM)

(also at the end of that scene, the camera pans up from the Egyptian skyline to the night sky and the most prominent constellation is Orion. Which the Egyptians associated with Osiris)

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 02:59 PM)

Yeah I give them full credit for treating the Last Plague with all the solemness it deserves.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:59 PM)

It freed the Israelites, but Moses sure hated seeing what it did to his brother and all the normal non-slave owning people who didn't do anything wrong to the Israelites.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:58 PM)

And it actually portrays God murdering children as a tragic thing, something most other adaptations disturbingly don't do.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 02:57 PM)

So that what He told Moses becomes, "I'll lay the smackdown on Egypt, but I should warn you it's only gonna make Rameses dig in his heels more until I have no choice but to break him fully."

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 02:56 PM)

It also describes the "hardening of the Pharoah's heart" as his natural reaction to the plagues rather than an intentional mental override by God.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:54 PM)

Hell, it actually portrays the Plagues as something that's bad and treats most of the Egyptian people as not deserving that shit. "All the innocent who suffer from your stubbornness and pride" and all that.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:53 PM)

I'm a Christian, but Prince of Egypt is one of the few religious movies I'll willingly watch, because it's actually good instead of being self-rightous preachy nonsense, batshit crazy propaganda or schmaltzy trash. It also has a great soundtrack with music that I actually put up there with some of Disney's best stuff.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:45 PM)

Dreamworks's best movies will always be the Dragons movies and The Prince of Egypt.

@  TM2-Megatron : (26 March 2017 - 02:40 PM)

Usually I'm willing to give animated films a go, but I have to agree this looked pretty terrible and I had no desire to see it

@  Patchouli Kn... : (26 March 2017 - 02:40 PM)

So it's the new "Bee Movie?"

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:16 PM)

Calling it now: it'll be a meme in ten years.

@  Paladin : (26 March 2017 - 02:07 PM)

every single person who said "yes" to BOSS BABY should be smacked. repeatedly. with adamantium.

@  MEDdMI : (26 March 2017 - 06:02 AM)

Yeah, I don't sync my Twitter since it's irrelevant to a TF forum and sometimes NSFW.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 March 2017 - 06:00 AM)

Ah, okay. I... don't know if that's a good idea or not. I post a lot of cats.

@  MEDdMI : (26 March 2017 - 05:50 AM)

I believe it will auto post anything you put on Twitter/Facebook to the Status section on the main forum page?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 March 2017 - 05:41 AM)

And I totally miss Krispy Kreme. I mean, they're still around here, but nowhere I don't have to go well out of my way for any more. =(

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 March 2017 - 05:40 AM)

"i think you can sync profiles from both to this site." Not clear on what that means.

@  MEDdMI : (26 March 2017 - 05:04 AM)

:D I'm glad I have people and sheep who are willing to eat doughnuts for me.

@  Bass X0 : (26 March 2017 - 04:48 AM)

YOU'RE ALREADY CRAZY, MR. "I AM SHRAPNEL, DECEPTICON HERO"!!

@  Waspinator : (26 March 2017 - 04:45 AM)

DON'T MIND IF I DO

@  WorkbenchManiac : (26 March 2017 - 04:07 AM)

Go crazy?

@  Waspinator : (26 March 2017 - 03:31 AM)

No TV and no beer make Homer something something

Photo

BotCon '08 Loose sets sold out

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 xZAOx

xZAOx

ALL HAIL GALVACRON

• Citizen
  • 5472 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(Botcon)
As of today, the Loose Convention sets are now SOLD OUT!
The Boxed Convention sets are still available...but going fast.

So, there ya go, from botcon.com.

So the regular sets are supposedly "going fast". While I'm not calling them liars, my MC that I got yesterday had an add for the '05 set saying "don't miss out!"...hehe.

#2 Big Show

Big Show

Had about enough of your crap, Mario.

• Supporter
  • 7647 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

Oh, crap. My payment hasn't been collected yet. I guess that means I'm Bagged-less.
QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a distinct difference between buying something and SUPERbuying.
And SUPERbuying is not quite as extreme as buying the HUG outta something.
There's a hierarchy.

#3 Robogeek1973

Robogeek1973
  • Retired Staff
  • 15351 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

Wow, impressive!

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 57443 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

That was fast.

Randy

#5 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 10740 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Feb 13 2008, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was fast.

Randy
Indeed it was. I'm not sure how to make a fair comparison, since there were (ultimately) more loose sets last year, but that's certainly less than half the time it took to sell twice as many loose sets last year (All I know for sure is, although the boxed sets sold out in about a month, they still had loose sets available for a time after that, available only to those who had already gotten a boxed set.).

(FYI for those who don't remember, there were 400 loose sets last year, and either 1050 or 1100 boxed sets, depending on what source is used... although my guess is that the higher number is more reliable.)

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 13 February 2008 - 06:51 PM.

#6 Magnus

Magnus

Board

• Supporter
  • 7751 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:13 PM

Why would they make only half as many loose sets as last year?

#7 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 10740 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(Magnus @ Feb 13 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't totally answer that, but I CAN note that they only promised 200 loose sets last year, too, but were able to increase the order ("at the last minute," we're told) when the first day or two of registrations was so intense.

#8 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50328 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'd assume because they reckon on demand being down.

Likely because (no offense) these exclusives don't have the "must haviness" of the Seekers and the Con itself being held the same week as finals.

card-strongarm.jpg

#9 Big Show

Big Show

• Supporter
  • 7647 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Magnus @ Feb 13 2008, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's see:

1. No movie to hypercharge public interest
2. No seekers to hypercharge collector interest
3. See #1 and 2
QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a hierarchy.

#10 Bleargh001

Bleargh001
  • Supporter
  • 2132 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

How many people here who bought the loose sets in the past turned around and sold them? Or are buying them this year and plan to sell them? Just Curious. Is that what happens to most of these loose sets, or do people like to hold onto them?

#11 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50328 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

Oddly enough, from a collector standpoint, the bagged sets are infinitely rarer then the boxsets.

Even though they practically always sell cheaper.

card-strongarm.jpg

#12 Big Show

Big Show

• Supporter
  • 7647 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

Well, If I had (or have) gotten one, I was going to let each of my sons pick a figure, and sell the remaining ones.
QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a hierarchy.

#13 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 10740 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Bleargh001 @ Feb 13 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many people here who bought the loose sets in the past turned around and sold them? Or are buying them this year and plan to sell them? Just Curious. Is that what happens to most of these loose sets, or do people like to hold onto them?

Well, it's kind of the reverse for me. I buy the loose set so that I can "turn around and sell" the boxed set. I only care about the toys, and that's a cheap way (comparatively, at least) for me to get a set.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 13 February 2008 - 08:03 PM.

#14 Robogeek1973

Robogeek1973
  • Retired Staff
  • 15351 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(Bleargh001 @ Feb 14 2008, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I bought last years boxed and loose set, one to display, one to keep untouched just like all of my other Classics. I have no plans to sell them, I just buy 2 of each of what I really like so if one breaks, I have a replacement.

#15 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 57443 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

I'm a completionist with Classics, and I like to have two of each so I kept my loose set and display them from last year, and have the boxed set in storage. I planned on doing the same thing this year as well.

Randy

#16 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2323 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

Son of a bitch.....
"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#17 Jeremy

Jeremy

Gargo 220 or something

• Retired Staff
  • 23660 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to use this as a reason to go "HAW HAW!" at the convention, since this set lacks:

1) The "must have" aspect of last year's set to have a truly complete Classics collection.
2) The draw of the movie and the Hasbro tour no doubt being a big increase on overall attendance.
3) The scheduling of the convention is less accessible for people.

It's just common sense in business that they have to be careful on the whole supply/demand thing.

Edited by J Gargoyle220, 13 February 2008 - 09:05 PM.

"Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise." - Cato the Elder

"Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper." - Larry Flynt

#18 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36266 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

Selling out is always great news.

#19 xZAOx

xZAOx

ALL HAIL GALVACRON

• Citizen
  • 5472 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(Bleargh001 @ Feb 13 2008, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll bite the bullet here - I bought a loose set last year just to sell. Mainly, to help offset my $400 plane ticket. And I ended up getting stuck with more of the hotel room than was planned (the risk that comes when you're the one who reserves the room).

But, for what it's worth, I sold them significantly less than eBay prices. Actually, Rework here on the boards is the one who ended up buying my seekers. I sold Bugbite to a con-goer (who I then had to track back down to get her profile card), and I traded Dreadwind to Gen1Fan for some money and toys.

This year I'm doing the same - I bought a loose set to sell. And I'll probably do like last year as well (if I can) - sell it for more than I paid, but less than eBay as well. I'd much rather sell it at the con to someone than have to fool with eBay, regardless of the "profit margin" being much higher on eBay.

#20 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

CHAOS! You got a one way ticket to CHAOS! CHAOS!

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE(xZAOx @ Feb 13 2008, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Botcon)
As of today, the Loose Convention sets are now SOLD OUT!
The Boxed Convention sets are still available...but going fast.

reaction: OMG!

So the regular sets are supposedly "going fast". While I'm not calling them liars, my MC that I got yesterday had an add for the '05 set saying "don't miss out!"...hehe.

reaction after a few seconds: wait a second... this is just for loose sets. ... hrm, I guess it's not really telling of how fast boxed sets are going for, since all we know for sure is that at least 200 of those sold as well.