Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 September 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Runamuck, Fasttrack, Sunstreaker, and Trailbreaker.

@  Nevermore : (22 September 2020 - 06:13 AM)

Cardboard and plastic.

@  Paladin : (22 September 2020 - 05:52 AM)

what's IN Wave 3, anyway?

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

Photo

ATTENTION KITBASHERS! Super Glue Sensitivity Issue Warning

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jin Saotome

Jin Saotome

Customizer

• Citizen
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

This post is meant to inform you, not scare you, as to the issue of Super Glue Sensitivity. As you know I try not to blow things out of proportion and I don't misguide people with my information. I take the hobby of customization very seriously and look to help everyone I can no matter their level of involvement in the craft.

I'm sure you all know what Super Glue is. It's more scientifically known as Cyanoacrylate Glue and almost every customizer uses it to adhere plastic parts together and what not. We use a lot of it, more so than regular folks who just need to repair a mug or a fingernail once a month. We use this stuff every day sometimes. And there lies a danger not many are aware of. Without all the fancy science-speak about cyanoacrylate monomers and such, here's the skinny:

Your body will eventually react to an overexposure of Super Glue vapors and you will suddenly become allergic to it.

Scary? Could be. Some people use it a few times and become allergic. Some people use it for 5 years and become allergic. It depends on how long you've been using Super Glue and how your body reacts to it, each person is different. But no matter who you are your body is still absorbing something and it's like a ticking clock. The bad part is that once you develop an allergy to Super Glue it's there for life. In all the reported cases I've checked through, even asking my two medical friends, there's no real way to reverse it. You'll always have a reaction after you develop and allergy to it. One minute you're feeling fine and gluing a door to your Jazz figure and the next your eyes are swelling shut and you can't breathe. Most commonly it's a respiratory attack because breathing in the fumes is what does it. Nobody has reported developing an allergy (unless they were naturally allergic) by just touching super glue. The harmful stuff is absorbed through your lungs, not your skin.

You might be familiar with my friend Black Arachanis who does figure head casts for the customizing community? He's now officially allergic to super glue and the one who got me looking into this. He'd spend hours a day gluing little guide-sticks on to the figure's head before making a mold and was exposed to super glue fumes the entire time. After a few years of this his body suddenly fought back and he couldn't breathe. He was looking for a substitute for super glue because he couldn't work with it anymore. That sudden allergy threatened his hobby/business.

Then I thought... good lord, I use that stuff every day. I can smell it, stings my eyes sometimes. I've been using it for years, on a regular basis since the first Marvel Legends figure series came out, back in 2002 I believe. I also use epoxies and Polyurethane Resins which are known to cause a sensitivity issue faster than super glue. So here I am playing Russian roulette with my health! I searched the web for what kind of precautions you should take and turned to the commercial industry. Car manufactures, the people who spray resin on boats, auto paint guys, what did they do to avoid exposure?

Without spending thousands of dollars for self-contained respirator units or those body suits I found that you need a simple respirator that cleans out Organic Vapors. A simple dust mask does nothing for fumes, it just removes particles. Only a mask with filters certified to remove organic vapors will protect against super glue/paint/epoxy/resin fumes. After calling some shops getting prices and checking on line I found a mask that does what you need and for a very good price.

3M Organic Vapor Half Mask

It also turns out the mask has pads that remove particles from sanding/dremelling. The link above also has the best price I could find for one, given shipping costs and it was based right here in California, shipped to my door in 1 day. The mask is extremely comfortable to wear and honestly, looks cool, like some Metal Gear spy gas mask when you put it on. I know what you're thinking tho, "I have to put that thing on every time?" It's not hard and goes on/off in 2 seconds. One strap goes around your neck and the other over the back of your head. Or you can just use the back of the head one. I could breathe easier in that than I could in a normal dust mask, which surprised the hell out of me! Makes a cool 'pssssht' noise when you exhale and I bet I could use it for part of a Helghast costume for Halloween, heh. Both the organic and particle filters are replaceable.

You breathe through that mask when you're working with super glue. I'm sure if you just needed a dab or two you could skip it, hold your breath or blow the fumes away, but I'm using mine every time. And especially when I use my epoxies/solvents too. I don't smell any of the chemicals I work with and no longer get headaches after working with my resins. It's the best $30 I ever spent for customizing in my opinion. And for anyone who kitbashes on a regular basis I can't stress enough how important your health is. Half the stuff we use is toxic and we're usually in a garage/basement/enclosed room doing this right? Ok, enough talk. Take this information as you will. Shop around if you want a different mask but make sure it removes Organic Vapors, that's the important thing. The link I provided was cheaper than the ones I found at the Auto Parts/Home Depot store and those didn't even come with the free particle filters. Tho the organic vapor filters will remove particles, they'll just clog up with those first and are more expensive to replace.

Want some reference to superglue/chemical sensitivity?
http://www.v2rocket..../fr/health.html
http://www.detectopr...com/article.htm (read the 'Don't get stuck or worse' part near the bottom)
And you can google Super Glue Allergy or Super Glue Allergic Reaction to find more.

Edited by Jin Saotome, 24 June 2008 - 01:59 PM.

#2 ---The Rat

---The Rat
  • Citizen
  • 3054 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:12 AM

wow I've not heard of super glue allergy's but I don't doubt it in the least. Super glue is some pretty harsh stuff.
So is paint for that fact. I work in a factory, and I'm around automotive paint and thinner fumes every day.
I know that it can't be good for me. I can barely smell anything anymore. It gets worse in the summer when temperatures go up, and more of that thinner evaporates. I get horrid head aches, and feel like I can't catch my breath. I have asked about masks like those. They tell me I'm in the same room in direct contact with the paint fumes, and more or less tell me to shove it. They also have a bad habit of not restocking the rubber gloves, but still want me to use some nasty paint thinner. It eats my hands up bad.
I'll keep that glue thing in mind. My current job in the factory doesn't use much but the old job did.

#3 shumworld

shumworld

"One down, two to go."

• Citizen
  • 7974 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

thanks for the info, i'll be aware of it whenever i kitbash/paint. though it's a good thing for my sake that i do this hobby like less than twice a year.

#4 Jin Saotome

Jin Saotome

Customizer

• Citizen
  • 489 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

No problem guys. I wasn't aware of the dangers until Black Arachnis told me and it was already too late for him. I use this stuff every day! Cool thing about the mask is it will filter out dust, paint fumes, epoxy fumes, and other stuff we kitbashers work with along with the superglue. If you can find one nearby in your town like it a paint shop or industrial place, cool. If you do a lot of sanding and get dust everywhere you'll want to make sure the mask comes with, or the shop sells the particulate pads with the clear plastic snap-on section. That way your main organic filters don't clog up with dust as they're more expensive to replace.

#5 (Deactivated) AgnarisPrime

(Deactivated) AgnarisPrime
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

WOW, I never knew about that, I alos work with warhammer minis so I will definetly look in to a mask! Thanks Jin for the warning! icon-hotrod.gif

#6 (Deactivated) SkullGrin

(Deactivated) SkullGrin
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

That happend to me 3 years ago. I used it recently and no longer felt allergic. Good to point this out to people. I didn't know this much about it before.

#7 (Deactivated) GreenLantern of Cybertron

(Deactivated) GreenLantern of Cybertron
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

I don't use superglue allot but i was concerned by this, I did google searching as Jin instructed.

After looking through what I could find, it doesn't seem superglue is all that dangerous:

the same glue is used as liquid stitches and poured right in wounds. after reading what Jin discovered that seem incredibly unsafe, but I dint find much on it being a dangerous thing to do.

I kept looking,
this is what wikipedia says about superglue
it shows its uses, medical uses, and how it works, it only mentions it can cause asthma on rare occasions.

after not finding much more I just looked up how you gain allergys:
this site says "When does an allergy begin?
It occurs after a person with allergic tendencies is repeatedly exposed to the substance in his/her environment or his/her diet."

that is what I think is going on, its just a regular allergic reaction, not an "superglue will kill you" reaction.

Thse are just google searches, if somone really knows medical stuff listen to them and not me, but super glue will probabaly not kill you.

but if you are a insane customizer guy like Jin, you should defenatly wear that mask thing, play it safe.

#8 Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime
  • Validating
  • 1476 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:41 AM

Jin, thanks for the tip, I will be investing in one when i start customizing this year.
sig under construction. well, actually, sig under post. but you get the idea.

#9 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

CHAOS! You got a one way ticket to CHAOS! CHAOS!

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:21 PM

I've always been concerned about the chemicals customizers are exposed to.

What about your eyes? Can't fumes get into your eyes?

I wonder how fast the particle filter clogs up with something like spray-paint. My snot was blue after BotCon's customizing class. Man was that creepy.

#10 (Deactivated) Phantom

(Deactivated) Phantom
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:35 AM

Woah- jeez. I don't really need to worry about this with Tformers figures, but dang, this is a setback to my Warhammer 40K hobby. Thanks for the heads up- I wouldn't have seen that one coming!

#11 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14672 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

vunderbar.... i always knew Zap a Gap was trying to kill me.

#12 (Deactivated) Captain GARlock

(Deactivated) Captain GARlock
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:50 AM

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I'll have to be more careful with this stuff now.

What about your friend? Is he past the point of using protection like this so he can continue his work?

#13 Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime

I changed this.

• Citizen
  • 5698 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(Jin Saotome @ Feb 7 2008, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your body will eventually react to an overexposure of Super Glue vapors and you will suddenly become allergic to it.

Scary? Could be. Some people use it a few times and become allergic. Some people use it for 5 years and become allergic. It depends on how long you've been using Super Glue and how your body reacts to it, each person is different. But no matter who you are your body is still absorbing something and it's like a ticking clock.

JS:

And don't forget that a lot of people may never get sensitized. Of course, with no way to tell who is susceptible, it's probably best to take some precautions.

Unfortunately, the links you gave don't give a whole lot of real data, and the same goes for a lot of stuff I found with a quick Google. Lots of references *to* problems, not a lot of real rigor. I found one study referenced on the EPA site which found no increased incidence of pulmonary problems, and an abstract of another study which found 2 workers who seemed to have developed reactions to the compound. That's the trouble with the Internet. Information spreads quickly and multiplies quickly, and it's hard to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

But, since ACCs have been in use for about 40-odd years in a lot of hobbies and industries, without this sensitization issue showing up everywhere, it is probably safe to say most people won't be affected by this. Of course you never can say who has allergic tendencies, as I said. I would guess that people with known allergies already should be a little more cautious.

I would definitely concur with the respirator and probably thin Nitrile gloves if one was doing this on a cottage-industrial scale like BA was. BA was doing resin castings, too, though...I wonder if the resin or anything else may have contributed.

(Of course, should 20/20 get a hold of this, watch all perspective fly out the window. See also "Latex Hypersensitivity".)

Edited by Autobus Prime, 10 March 2008 - 10:39 AM.