Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Kalidor : (10 April 2021 - 08:50 PM)

The licensed Optimus Prime that transforms itself is the appropriate usage of the term "Third Party"

@  Donocropolis : (10 April 2021 - 08:24 AM)

That Optimus isn't built by Hasbro, only licensed. The company that makes it has been making similar robots for years, so no crowdfundng required.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 April 2021 - 08:05 AM)

Apparently they're selling one for 74 and a half thousand dollars.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 April 2021 - 08:01 AM)

We could write boston dynamics and ask?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 April 2021 - 07:59 AM)

Granted, I'm not sure how much robots with elaborate movement tend to go for.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 April 2021 - 07:56 AM)

I think with actual robotics it was easier to justify selling it at a high cost, compared to an unusually large action figure.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 April 2021 - 05:06 AM)

It is a very impressive display of robotics though.

@  tigerhawk : (10 April 2021 - 04:52 AM)

What were they thinking with that self transforming Optimus? should have been another crowd funder for that price.

@  tigerhawk : (08 April 2021 - 03:33 PM)

I wish they'd rerelease Earthrise Ramjet and Dirge.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 April 2021 - 03:04 PM)

Yay! optimus primal just arrived. So now there's... nothing for me to look forward to till scorponok drops... hmmm, I didn't think this through properly...

@  wonko the sane? : (07 April 2021 - 04:26 PM)

It's an older title which recently got a remake so...

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 April 2021 - 01:10 PM)

Ah yes- I think I've heard of that game before. I may be thinking about something else though.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 April 2021 - 08:03 AM)

It's a video game. You get hired to revive and restore a series of derelict space stations.

@  tigerhawk : (07 April 2021 - 07:05 AM)

I've got no idea what that is but yes.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 April 2021 - 06:34 AM)

so... literally the plot to startopia.

@  tigerhawk : (07 April 2021 - 02:32 AM)

Maybe if the Interstellar Alliance collapsed after the big burn and a 'benefactor' repurposed a space station as a commerce one. Oh wait...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 April 2021 - 04:35 PM)

Babylon 6?

@  Donocropolis : (06 April 2021 - 11:49 AM)

I'd rather have a Toilet Seat: TNG sequel series than an actual reboot. If something was done well the first time, don't give us the same-thing-but-worse, just give us something new on that bowl..

@  wonko the sane? : (06 April 2021 - 10:19 AM)

Context: my parents had the bathroom redone about a year ago (actually, almost exactly a year ago, as the project was about 4 days from complete and was interrupted by the first pandemic lockdown.). The ridiculous, fancy toilet seat they purchased has since develloped cracks in it and needs to be returned. Dad simply could not get the seat off himself... and see previous shout.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 April 2021 - 10:17 AM)

How to ruin somesones day with one question: Let someone work on a problem for about an hour and a half on their own, come to the realization they need an extra set of hands, ask for help, show you the problem and outright difficulty of it: then ask them "Hey, what does this button do?" and literally solve the two man dilema without doing any work.

@  Dekafox : (06 April 2021 - 09:22 AM)

As far as the TNT move, all of Season 5 was basically epilogue, which didn't help - when it looked like things were ending at Season 4 JMS tried to cram all the major plot threads for his original Season 4 and 5 plan into Season 4, which didn't leave them as much to work with for Season 5. Then TNT totally screwed with Crusade and got it killed before it got a chance to hit the real plot and nothing else really resonated enough to get a series push. A Crusade revival would be the best "B5:TNG" option IMO.

@  electricidad : (06 April 2021 - 08:55 AM)

Peak B5 was the first six episodes of season 4. EVERYTHING CAME TO A HEAD.

@  Kevin S : (06 April 2021 - 08:50 AM)

Generally, I think once B5 moved to TNT things went downhill. The sets didn't look as good (maybe due to ill use of better lighting) and I wasn't always as impressed with casting (Sheridan's new 2nd just didn't work). The movies had decent ideas, but I felt there was something off in the execution. Wonder if TNT pushed for different directors that weren't as familar with B5.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 April 2021 - 08:42 AM)

Did the follow up movies do that badly, or does the creator simply feel like his story was told and refuses to allow more content?

@  Donocropolis : (06 April 2021 - 08:23 AM)

I'd rather have a B5: TNG sequel series than an actual reboot. If something was done well the first time, don't give us the same-thing-but-worse, just give us something new in that world.

@  tigerhawk : (06 April 2021 - 01:26 AM)

A reboot would probably be ruined by meddling and different visions anyway. 

@  Echowarrior : (05 April 2021 - 09:12 PM)

JMS wrote about half of the first season, a little over half of the second, all of the third and fourth, and all but one episode from the fifth. Given he was also the creator and executive producer, him having so much creative control was likely a condition for getting the show made. Shame he didn't have it for Crusade.

@  Dekafox : (05 April 2021 - 08:44 AM)

They also had JMS write every single script bar maybe 2 or 3? That was another big part of how well it hangs together. Do you think any studio would do that nowadays?

@  tigerhawk : (05 April 2021 - 08:16 AM)

Let it be the first all AI acted series.

@  Echowarrior : (04 April 2021 - 08:31 PM)

Yeah, but would the reboot be as good as the original? B5 had a damn good cast, and they can't replicate that easily.

@  Rycochet : (04 April 2021 - 04:33 PM)

One day they'll let a streaminbg service reboot B5 and let the stories be told without the sword of Damocles hanging over them at all times.

@  tigerhawk : (04 April 2021 - 02:32 PM)

It's aged in the set piece areas.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 April 2021 - 02:22 PM)

I don't remember much of B5... I take it we're not talking about cathode ray tubes...

@  tigerhawk : (04 April 2021 - 11:45 AM)

Babylon 5 CRT tech.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2021 - 06:13 PM)

Bloody hell, thanks for the heads up.

@  Bass X0 : (03 April 2021 - 04:55 PM)

be careful with her. someone on tfw2005 broke her wing taking her out of the packaging.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2021 - 08:15 AM)

I got my airazor on wednesday. Just waiting for the BBTS box to arrive with the rest of the line before I start opening things up. Guess I got her just in time too.

@  Telly : (02 April 2021 - 11:48 PM)

woke to a pre order arrival notice from bbts. was hoping/dreading it was unicron, but turns out it was airazor. and as these things always go, i go to walmart later in the day and see airazor sitting on the shelf...

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 April 2021 - 08:07 PM)

Get one and make a s'more with it.

@  Hg Dragon : (01 April 2021 - 06:48 PM)

If you know, you know...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 April 2021 - 06:48 PM)

I am dissapointed by my lack of medium-sized Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs.

@  wonko the sane? : (01 April 2021 - 02:23 PM)

Fun Fact: It's also my sister in laws birthday. Well, I assume anyway, we've celebrated it for a couple of years, and no one has shouted "april fools" yet, so...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 April 2021 - 11:44 AM)

Happy Regret Using The Internet Day.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 April 2021 - 09:05 AM)

You know the rules, nOw sAy gOodByE

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (01 April 2021 - 06:17 AM)

We're no strangers to love

@  Sabrblade : (31 March 2021 - 11:18 PM)

Happy Harmless Pranks Day!

@  MEDdMI : (31 March 2021 - 10:07 AM)

Really don't feel like arguing about it with them when I work the phones all day.

@  MEDdMI : (31 March 2021 - 10:06 AM)

Thankfully I had signed up for an HSA for us the year before and that covered most of the costs. But it's still money from my paycheck instead of insurance covering it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2021 - 02:51 PM)

Oh, this was after the insurance. And after the initial bills right after the hospital stay.

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 March 2021 - 08:38 AM)

tHaT's wHy InSuRAnCe iS a ThInG

Photo

Collecting Transformers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 [email protected]

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:25 AM

Hello all,
I have a topic for older TF collectors such as myself. I remember a time, I think it was THE very first BotCon I ever attended, my goal in going was to collect the "last transformer I needed to complete our collection". At that time, the only U.S. released Transformer I thought I didn't own was Targetmaster Hotshot. I found one while there and for that one fleeting moment thought, THAT'S IT! I NOW HAVE THEM ALL! icon-hotrod.gif

How little did I know! Okay, so here is/are my question(s) for all the collectors who think of themselves as or want to be "completists" that is, to "have every one". I'm wondering what exactly does that mean?

For the sake of this query, lets limit the discussion to U.S. or North America release only toys. When someone looks at our ever growing collection (now divided amonst 3 different houses, 1 per brother!) and asks, "do you have them all?" Are we allowed to answer, "yes?"

If you consider yourself a completist, is your collection "complete" if you don't have:

every TF: Universe toy?

every convention exclusive toy? (surely you must think you need to own Unicron.com exclusive energon cubes, Unicron stand and Beast Machines accessory pack in order for your collection to be complete! hahaha icon-hotrod.gif)

If the stipulation is, does the packaging say "Transformers", has to be a transforming plastic toy and sold by Hasbro... well then

what about Transformers Animorphs?
Machine Wars Transformers?
>>>Star Wars: Transformers??? Seriously, what about this one? To be considered a serious Transformers collecting completist, must I purchase all of these?

If the distinction is, the toys must fit into the story line, then what about:
Alternators?
mini-con versus packs?
Shopko, Costco, Walgreens, Kohl's only exclusives...
What about the G1 decoys? Do I need to have every one of those to say I have every G1 TF figure?

Do you feel you need every recolor in order for your collection to be complete?
What about when the same recolor is repackaged w/ a different partner toy (like the recolored mini-cons that apparently the same recolored toys come w/ various Target exclusive voyager class toys? Do you need to have Mudflap, Vector Prime... each w/ it's own set of mini-cons, sometimes the same, sometimes (I think) not the same as others...

Is there anyone out there that feels they do in order for their collection to be "complete?"... surely there must be if there are people out there willing to pay $1,000 for unreleased G2 toys, which are essentially just recolors (w/o stickers..) just for the rarety of it all... ebay auction

Perhaps, in the end I shouldn't give it a second thought, just collect (open and enjoy the transformation, sculpt, posability... ) the ones I want and when someone asks "wow, do you have them all?" Just say "no" and call it a day! icon-hotrod.gif

Your thoughts are welcome!
KL

"Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else."
Lukis Bros. Transformers Collector Site

#2 (Deactivated) BeastWarrior

(Deactivated) BeastWarrior
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:52 AM

Minicon VS. packs fit in with the AEC continuity, i believe.
Edit: To be specific, Cybertron.

Edited by BeastWarrior, 30 March 2006 - 04:59 AM.

#3 (Deactivated) Byrerprime

(Deactivated) Byrerprime
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

Personally, I think of complete as all the general releases that are found in any store. I consider repaints part of this if they are widespread release, like the Mini-Con vs. packs. Anyway, they're awesome repaints worth getting (personally speaking again). I do not consider store exclusives part of complete, but if you have these you could say your collection is more than complete. icon-fire.gif

Of course Unicron.com Accessory packs are a no-brainer. icon-arcee.gif

Universe is a tough one. Not sure where to stand on this. My collection is nowhere near close to complete, so it doesn't really matter. I like to separate my collection. I have 98% of Cybertron, 80% of Energon, 10% of G1, and so on.

I also don't consider Animorphs or Star Wars as true Transformers, although the SW ones are awesome.

I'm just icon-wheelie.gif because I need Swerve to complete my Alternators. I stopped at Ravage and then when Prowl came out I went and got Wheeljack, Decepticharge and Shockwhatever.

#4 (Deactivated) bw_rhinox

(Deactivated) bw_rhinox
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

This is a very good question.

I am a completist, an I have to get every Hasbro/Kenner U.S. Transformer:

Generation 1
Generation 2
Beast Wars
Beast Wars (10th anniversary)
Machine Wars
Beast Machines
Robots in Disguise
Armada
Energon
Cybertron
Reissue
Convention Club Exclusives
Universe
Alternators
Built to Rule
McDonalds / Burger King
Star Wars / Transformers
Titanium
Attacktix
Fun4All
Heroes of Cybertron
Legends of Cybertron
MicroVerse
Dark Saber (role playing sword) (ARM)
Star Saber (role playing sword) (ARM)
Megatron Sword (role play) (ENE)
Optimus Blaster (role play) (ENE)

#5 (Deactivated) runnerone

(Deactivated) runnerone
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

I am not a completist. I just don't have enough room in my house to display that many TFs. icon-screamer.gif

I would say that a "complete" set would be all given paint schemes of every mold sold at major U.S. retailers. It would include any store exclusives but not Mcdonalds/Burger King. However, you may still wish to quallify your "yes" anwser if asked do you have them all.

#6 (Deactivated) RedOktobre

(Deactivated) RedOktobre
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

HI KL,

You pose very interesting questions.

Like yourself, I'm an older Transformer collector (37 years old). In theory, I have the money to buy most of the TF's out there, but I do not have the time (work, girlfriend*, etc). Moreover, I only recently started aggressively collecting. In the past, I only purchased the odd TF here and there. Finally, I DO NOT OPEN my TF packages. I like to keep them in their original packaging UNOPENED in order to maintain their quality and value.

Well, getting back to your questions...

I feel that the best way to answer your question is to refer to my chart below:

Types of TF collectors:

"Ideal" or "True" "completists"
-owns ALL TF's issued
-this collector constantly monitors the TF market and purchases the new TF as soon as possible
-this collector is very extreme and usually has "no life", may have "near" unlimited resources (money), probably has NO gf/bf/husband/wife, may need to see a psychologist, etc
-very few collectors fall into this category; therefore, this type of collector is extremely rare (if exists at all)
-note: may not be logistically possible to collect all TF's

"Near" "completists"
-owns MOST TF's issued
-this collector monitors the TF market and purchases new TF's when money & time permits
-this collector makes a reasonable and constant ATTEMPT to buy all TF's
-this collector is more "normal" (may have gf/bf/husband/wife, limited time & money, don't need to see a psychologist, etc)
-this collector recognizes that certain TF's are not attainable due to money constraints

"Niche" Collector
-owns MOST or ALL TF's issued of a particular "niche"
-"niche" can be:
a. a particular TF toyline: Cybertron, G1, Beast, etc
b. a particular TF character: Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Starscream, etc
c. a particular TF subgroup: triple changers, constructicons, "animal" robots, etc
d. other grouping not mentioned above
-the "niche" collector may collect for multiple "niches" (for example, collects all Cybertron TF's AND Optimus Prime figures from all toylines)
-these collectors may have little or no TF's which fall outside their "niche"

"Custom" Collectors
-owns MANY TF's issued
-this collector collects TF's based upon his/her personal preferences with no obvious "niche"
-his/her collection may resemble a "mixed bag" of characters, toylines, subgroups, colours, etc
-basically, this collector only purchases TF's that he or she "likes"; if he/she does not find the TF attractive, they do not have it

"Investment" Collectors
-collects TF's for purpose of reselling at a later date to make a profit
-usually focusses on the more popular TF characters
-does not usually open the TF packages
-may or may not have an interest in TFs

Non-collectors
-has a small number of TF's
-usually opened
-may be worn out
-may or may not be knowledgeable of the TF universe and various toylines
-may attempt to maintain the quality and condition of the TF's

Styles of Collectors:

"Players"
-usually children
-plays with the TF's
-TF's usually worn out and damaged

"museum curator"
-TF's never played with
-TF's are usually still in their original packaging unopened
-TF's may be on display
-TF's are in mint condition

"display" collector
-TF's not usually played with
-usually opened
-TF's are often on display on a shelf
-TF's are usually in good condition or better

In my opinion, "completeness" is not the issue. Collecting every freaking Transformer out there is logistically impossible. I feel that the "type" of collector and your corresponding "style" are the more relevant and important factors to examine.

As for myself, I am a combination of a "custom" and "investment" collector. As for my style, I am both a "museum curator" and a "display" collector.

That's my 2 cents worth...

RedOktobre

*By the way, although my girlfriend likes to occasionally transform a few of them "once in a blue moon", she is more concerned about opening my "unopened" transformers packages.

QUOTE([email protected] @ Mar 30 2006, 02:25 AM) View Post

Hello all,
I have a topic for older TF collectors such as myself. I remember a time, I think it was THE very first BotCon I ever attended, my goal in going was to collect the "last transformer I needed to complete our collection". At that time, the only U.S. released Transformer I thought I didn't own was Targetmaster Hotshot. I found one while there and for that one fleeting moment thought, THAT'S IT! I NOW HAVE THEM ALL! icon-hotrod.gif

How little did I know! Okay, so here is/are my question(s) for all the collectors who think of themselves as or want to be "completists" that is, to "have every one". I'm wondering what exactly does that mean?

For the sake of this query, lets limit the discussion to U.S. or North America release only toys. When someone looks at our ever growing collection (now divided amonst 3 different houses, 1 per brother!) and asks, "do you have them all?" Are we allowed to answer, "yes?"

If you consider yourself a completist, is your collection "complete" if you don't have:

every TF: Universe toy?

every convention exclusive toy? (surely you must think you need to own Unicron.com exclusive energon cubes, Unicron stand and Beast Machines accessory pack in order for your collection to be complete! hahaha icon-hotrod.gif)

If the stipulation is, does the packaging say "Transformers", has to be a transforming plastic toy and sold by Hasbro... well then

what about Transformers Animorphs?
Machine Wars Transformers?
>>>Star Wars: Transformers??? Seriously, what about this one? To be considered a serious Transformers collecting completist, must I purchase all of these?

If the distinction is, the toys must fit into the story line, then what about:
Alternators?
mini-con versus packs?
Shopko, Costco, Walgreens, Kohl's only exclusives...
What about the G1 decoys? Do I need to have every one of those to say I have every G1 TF figure?

Do you feel you need every recolor in order for your collection to be complete?
What about when the same recolor is repackaged w/ a different partner toy (like the recolored mini-cons that apparently the same recolored toys come w/ various Target exclusive voyager class toys? Do you need to have Mudflap, Vector Prime... each w/ it's own set of mini-cons, sometimes the same, sometimes (I think) not the same as others...

Is there anyone out there that feels they do in order for their collection to be "complete?"... surely there must be if there are people out there willing to pay $1,000 for unreleased G2 toys, which are essentially just recolors (w/o stickers..) just for the rarety of it all... ebay auction

Perhaps, in the end I shouldn't give it a second thought, just collect (open and enjoy the transformation, sculpt, posability... ) the ones I want and when someone asks "wow, do you have them all?" Just say "no" and call it a day! icon-hotrod.gif

Your thoughts are welcome!
KL

#7 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 4171 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:25 PM

I own a relatively small collection of TF, I?d qualify as a non-collector but I try to buy at least one from the latest expansion of the toy line and I've managed to build a very mixed group. Still no classics but even my friends like them even though they are not fans. (tacos rule) icon-ironhide.gif
A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#8 (Deactivated) thoughtcrime

(Deactivated) thoughtcrime
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

To call oneself a true completist, then yes, one must own or plan to own every single decoy, repaint, variant, subline, & exclusive ever. I can't see why anyone in their right mind would want to do all that, but I digress.

I am a died in the wool G1 guy and I can't even bring myself to complete 84 & 85, as I don't Omega Supreme or the deluxes. Oh well.