Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Waspinator : (23 April 2017 - 03:48 PM)

IT'S WATCHING US

@  Telly : (23 April 2017 - 03:34 PM)

yeah, at the time im posting this, theres a "2" next to it and me and fruitloop are shown to be the 2 people reading it

@  Telly : (23 April 2017 - 03:33 PM)

i think it just means that someone is reading the shoutbox

@  Fruitloop Mu... : (23 April 2017 - 03:25 PM)

Re The Rise of Cobra: I like bad movies and action sequences involving elite ninjas, so I watched / fast-forwarded through it on Netflix a couple of years ago.

@  Fruitloop Mu... : (23 April 2017 - 03:23 PM)

Can anyone tell me why the Shoutbox has a notification (a "1") when I login sometimes? I scroll through and don't see anything addressed to me. What does it mean?

@  ▲ndrusi : (23 April 2017 - 01:33 PM)

I miss the 2000s when my local stores got new toys more than once a year.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 01:09 PM)

I mean, it might be hard to not know about something before release at all, but the degree of familiarity that you described is only attainable if you intentionally seek things out.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 12:59 PM)

That's at least partially your own fault. The "in motion" part sounds like you even watched videos, which require conscious effort, unlike pictures that might be hard to even avoid.

@  Bass X0 : (23 April 2017 - 12:22 PM)

I miss the 80s where the first time I ever saw Transformers toys was on the toy shelves and hadn't already saw the toy from every angle and in motion several months beforehand. It made seeing a toy in the store something very special to me that I can't recapture now.

@  Evac : (23 April 2017 - 12:14 PM)

I could see Generations becoming a TRU exclusive line, now that I think about it.

@  Xellos : (23 April 2017 - 12:14 PM)

Also, Generations weathered AOE, and the TLK line seems to be short as well, so I think we'll still be seeing some room for Generations.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2017 - 12:11 PM)

Titans aren't really wide-released anyway. About the only brick-and-mortar chain to reliably carry them is Toys R Us.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 12:08 PM)

Isn't Trypticon still a long way from now?

@  Evac : (23 April 2017 - 11:57 AM)

They wouldn't let a big-ticket item like that get cancelled.

@  Evac : (23 April 2017 - 11:57 AM)

Counter argument: They still haven't released Trypticon.

@  unluckiness : (23 April 2017 - 09:25 AM)

But yeah, not having any big-name media means it's the most likely, although the premiere series packaging might convince retailers to dedicate more shelf space, kinda like SW Black.

@  unluckiness : (23 April 2017 - 09:24 AM)

I'd expect Generations to be the sacrificial lamb since they can't possibly stock RID any less.

@  RichardT1977 : (23 April 2017 - 09:06 AM)

I'm thinking the subline that doesn't have a movie or TV show will be the one on the cutting board.

@  RichardT1977 : (23 April 2017 - 09:05 AM)

Back to TF toys: the question is whether or not retailers will be willing to commit the peg/shelf space for three sublines. And which one will be sidelined if space is at a premium.

@  unluckiness : (23 April 2017 - 06:28 AM)

No idea.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2017 - 03:40 AM)

Sometimes the Shoutbox takes a little longer to catch up to a new avatar.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 03:00 AM)

In the Shoutbox I'm seeing the pink thing instead of that guy with the weird eyes.

@  Telly : (23 April 2017 - 02:59 AM)

looks the same to me. maybe it looks different cause its smaller?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 02:57 AM)

@unluckiness why/how is your avatar here different than the one in your profile

@  unluckiness : (23 April 2017 - 02:44 AM)

Revengeance

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2017 - 01:33 AM)

Some people say revenge is sweet. Others say revenge is a dish best served cold. So basically, revenge is ice cream.

@  Verity Carlo : (22 April 2017 - 05:51 PM)

Retribution is fun.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (22 April 2017 - 05:39 PM)

'Sides, we all know the best G.I. Joe movie is Street Fighter, even if people haven't realized it yet.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (22 April 2017 - 05:39 PM)

I thought it was... okay. Okay as a movie, kinda fun, but not quite really feeling the G.I. Joe. I heard the sequel fixed that, but I've yet to see it.

@  Daith : (22 April 2017 - 05:26 PM)

Not sure about others but tried too hard to mainstream the idea to the public, making Baroness and the future Cobra Commander Duke's ex fiance and her brother was stupid and convoluted, and the power armor was a bit dumb

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 April 2017 - 05:14 PM)

What's the general opinion here about G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra?

@  BlackMax : (22 April 2017 - 02:55 PM)

In response to whether Arachnid Base or Orcanoch is the weirder.

@  BlackMax : (22 April 2017 - 02:55 PM)

My friend Take: "My vote goes to Spider Volcanobutt."

@  Rycochet : (22 April 2017 - 02:37 PM)

When I find myself in times of trouble, small marsupials come to me. Chattering and hissing, wallabies.

@  Evac : (22 April 2017 - 02:17 PM)

ROCKO'S MODERN LIIIIIIFE

@  Foffy : (22 April 2017 - 02:07 PM)

Did somebody mention wallabies?

@  Telly : (22 April 2017 - 01:38 PM)

"Walls of 'bee". walmart will be changing their name during movie time. they will now be called "walbee"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 April 2017 - 12:49 PM)

I'm pretty sure even Hasbro reps have admitted that they went overboard with Bee repaints.

@  Rycochet : (22 April 2017 - 12:34 PM)

Parents/retailers want them, it's cost effective to produce them, therefore they get made. Walls of 'bee may not be what we want to see, but here we are.

@  Bass X0 : (22 April 2017 - 12:29 PM)

That still doesn't justify all the barely repainted Bumblebee and Optimus Prime toys in slightly different shades of their standard color scheme.

@  Rycochet : (22 April 2017 - 12:26 PM)

The movie toylines are a necessary evil at this point, they help us get nice things so I can tolerate them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 April 2017 - 12:19 PM)

Eh, I'm more indifferent to the movies than angry.

@  Evac : (22 April 2017 - 12:04 PM)

Also, I highly doubt that. Judging by how some TR stuff hasn't been released yet (including Trypticon) and they're hyping up PotP for next year, what I'm assuming we'll see is Generations, Movieverse and RID/whatever the next cartoon is running alongside each other.

@  Evac : (22 April 2017 - 12:02 PM)

I KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENED! IT'S OBVIOUS WHAT'S HAPPENED! I WANT TO KNOW HOW WE CAN MAKE IT UNHAPPEN!

@  Telly : (22 April 2017 - 11:45 AM)

you are reacting to movies toys overtaking our beloved generations line for the next 2 years. and yes it is

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 April 2017 - 11:32 AM)

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!

@  Evac : (22 April 2017 - 10:50 AM)

Krok? It's happening again...

@  BlackMax : (22 April 2017 - 10:15 AM)

Don't forget Kup.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 April 2017 - 09:59 AM)

Perceptor, Topspin, Krok, Quake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 April 2017 - 01:50 AM)

Whats wave 4?

Photo

Beast Wars Sourcebook #3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#1 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10453 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:28 AM

Beast Wars Sourcebook Issue #3 continues the tradition of the Sourcebook by being filled with errors. The most glaring one that I can find is that IDW let Frank Milkovich contribute his art.

There are some pretty silly things when it comes to the text, too. TM Rhinox is apparently a vok-created body that Rhinox uses to travel the multiverse post-BM, and Shadow Panther isn't Ravage but he's just like Ravage.

Oh, and Ramulus is "even-tempered".

I think IDW is just messing with us, now.

Edited by Spectre, 05 January 2008 - 12:29 AM.

#2 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50363 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

TM Rhinox is apparently a vok-created body that Rhinox uses to travel the multiverse post-BM

icon-wildride.gif

That was seriously the best they could come up with?

card-strongarm.jpg

#3 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36392 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:37 AM

Attached File  bwsourcesilverbolt.jpg   96.83KB   194 downloads

God has forsaken us.

#4 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10453 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:40 AM

It's also worth mentioning that this guy drew like 10 characters.

Meanwhile, no Nick Roche anywhere.

#5 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50363 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:41 AM

Don't expect mercy Walky, after all they likely followed this

card-strongarm.jpg

#6 Xaaron

Xaaron
  • Citizen
  • 1633 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:46 AM

Ah, but while Ramulus is even-tempered, he can also be goated into rash action, as per his weaknesses. These might seem completely contradictory, but...um...nice picture.

Also, Ravage apparently transforms into a "name". It seems under the art for his cassette mode, someone forgot to take out the place-holder word "Name" and replace it with the actual description, like "cassette".

There are some interesting little additions, though. Transmetal 2 Prowl is apparently Binaltech Prowl II, the one made from Chip Chase in the BT story blurbs. There's also the suggest that the Transmetal Rhinox seen in the Unicron Trilogy is actually BW Rhinox, plucked out of the Matrix after his death and transmetallized by the Vok into being a dimension-hopping "catalyst of change". Finally, Scarem is apparently fully aware that he is a Maximal protoform under the control of a Predacon shell program, and is constantly raging against it internally.

Neat tidbits, but still don't make up for the art in some cases. Rartorarta is freaky looking enough without having him hunched over so that it looks like his head is in his chest. And Quickstrike, poor Quickstrike...

#7 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2116 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

Huh, I was told it didn't ship today...

#8 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 5886 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(Xaaron @ Jan 4 2008, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are some interesting little additions, though. Transmetal 2 Prowl is apparently Binaltech Prowl II, the one made from Chip Chase in the BT story blurbs. There's also the suggest that the Transmetal Rhinox seen in the Unicron Trilogy is actually BW Rhinox, plucked out of the Matrix after his death and transmetallized by the Vok into being a dimension-hopping "catalyst of change". Finally, Scarem is apparently fully aware that he is a Maximal protoform under the control of a Predacon shell program, and is constantly raging against it internally.

But BW Rhinox WAS plucked out of the Matrix...in Universe.

#9 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2116 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE(The Walky @ Jan 5 2008, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God has forsaken us.

Oh BALLS.

I want to see what the hug Silverbolt he was using for reference for that pic...

#10 Blues

Blues

Where are my keys?

• Citizen
  • 1237 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE(Wildwade @ Jan 5 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huh, I was told it didn't ship today...

I didn't see it today either, but now I doubt I'll even buy it.

But Ravage transforming into a name sounds hilarious.

#11 M Sipher

M Sipher

Won't you come with me to Music Jail?

• Citizen
  • 11512 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:04 AM

Can we stop having exceedingly tenuous and poorly-thought-out Rube-Goldbergian "this new character MUST be this other original character!!!!!" fanon getting canonized? This is painful.

M "Binaltech Prowl Was Painful Enough As-Is. And Don't Even Get Me Started On The Crap Armada Rhinox Got Put Through..." Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#12 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Citizen
  • 11895 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(Xaaron @ Jan 4 2008, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, but while Ramulus is even-tempered, he can also be goated into rash action

hee hee hee. isn't he a sheep though? icon-fire.gif

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#13 (Deactivated) SkullGrin

(Deactivated) SkullGrin
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:16 AM

I'd have been fine with Prowl being a reincarnation of the original because his Bio alludes to that idea.

Other than that.

#14 M Sipher

M Sipher

• Citizen
  • 11512 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

I'd have been happy with Prowl simply being a delusional nut who thought he was G1 Prowl but really isn't. It's funnier.

(Also, who WASN'T on the goddamn Axalon anymore?)

M "The More Hoops You Need To Invent To Jump Through To Explain Why X Is A, The Less Reason You Have To DO It" Sipher

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#15 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 5886 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

And now the inevitable countdown until Ben "reviews" the sourcebook by defending all of his choices.

#16 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 3768 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:01 AM

Absolutely terrible. I'd say expected except IDW promised us there wouldn't be these glaring errors anymore. Yes, the horrendous art isn't an "error", but stuff like Ravage's altmode being NAME and Rartorarta being out of order (seriously, how freaking hard is it to alphabetize a list?!) IS.

The weird thing is, I actually kinda liked Milkovich's Rattrap...the robot mode doesn't have a great pose, but it's a decent rendition of the character, and he actually draws the beast mode like it looks on the show. Rhinox is passable, but Silverbolt...ye gods. Razorclaw looks horrendous (for an example of how he SHOULD be done, look at Rockbuster). Khanna's Rampage is good, but I would swear that he just lifted it exactly from the art he did of Rampage before (a minor complaint, I know). And why the hug are Powerpinch and Scissor Boy in the exact same pose, reversed, except with completely different details? Here's a hint IDW, you don't make the exact repaints look different by making the same artist do them. Random 'bots have alternate head designs when others don't. The whole thing looks like it hasn't been inked, just penciled and colored.

And that's just the art...the writing...ugh. The quotes are horrible, and this is indefensible for the show characters who HAD a plethora of good quotes to use. "Peace is the absence of conflict and the presence of justice" is NOT something that Optimus Primal would have ever uttered with a straight face. Rampage wasn't evil, he was tortured. "Be a straight shooter and your friends and enemies will respect ya." (Rattrap...what?!) "The only true loyalty is to oneself" (Scorponok...that's like, the exact opposite of his personality). I still hate how all the show character bios aren't personalities, but a personal history of their show exploits. Honestly, I love Ben Yee, but he was NOT the person to do this book.

#17 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36392 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE(Wildwade @ Jan 5 2008, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(The Walky @ Jan 5 2008, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God has forsaken us.

Oh BALLS.

I want to see what the hug Silverbolt he was using for reference for that pic...

Attached File  patleehowtodrawoptimus.jpg   65.79KB   130 downloads

I think it was this.

#18 M Sipher

M Sipher

• Citizen
  • 11512 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE(Magnusblitz @ Jan 5 2008, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And why the hug are Powerpinch and Scissor Boy in the exact same pose, reversed, except with completely different details? Here's a hint IDW, you don't make the exact repaints look different by making the same artist do them.

Powerpinch and Scissor Boy aren't even redecoes. They're the same toy in the same colors, just released in different markets.

M "How Does No-One CATCH This?" Sipher

- Stephen Colbert

#19 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 15247 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:24 AM

I like the 70s Marvel vibe that Milkovich and Williams bring. Of course, I'd also like it if Bill Sienkiewicz did some profile art. icon-hotrod.gif IDIC, man.

---Dave, who still can't get Diamond to cough up a copy of #1, and the CBR he found has no Bump. He needs Bump. (Edit: and yes, if you wanna unload your copy of #1, I'm interested.)

Edited by Dvandom, 05 January 2008 - 02:38 AM.

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#20 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

From the north, I will come with cold, hateful judgement

• Supporter
  • 36233 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(M Sipher @ Jan 5 2008, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Also, who WASN'T on the goddamn Axalon anymore?)

Big Daddy. Sadly.