Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

@  Benbot : (09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM)

Those are too friendly--what if he was a Decepticon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM)

Cheesewagon

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Bus-Top has a very GoBot vibe

@  Bass X0 : (08 October 2019 - 10:51 AM)

I actually never heard of the name Megalodon until recently.

@  Noideaforaname : (08 October 2019 - 09:44 AM)

Bus-Top, Omnibus, Cerebus, Busicus, Busicon

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Otto

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Frizzle

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Crankshaft?

@  Benbot : (08 October 2019 - 08:55 AM)

What's a good name for a school bus Transformer?

@  lastmaximal : (08 October 2019 - 12:57 AM)

Huh. There's a neat name for Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megs.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 October 2019 - 11:44 AM)

It's a submarine, we swear!

@  Otaku : (07 October 2019 - 11:26 AM)

@Bass X0 Letting myself comment to say "That's a good one!" and ask "Would a megalodon be a good fit for Megatron?"

@  Benbot : (07 October 2019 - 07:59 AM)

Ohhh good one

@  Bass X0 : (07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM)

I now want a Decepticon shark called Megalotron.

@  TriBlurr : (06 October 2019 - 05:47 PM)

Gives them time to screw up the color of his hands. :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 October 2019 - 12:33 PM)

His bulk is too great to teleport across such distances.

@  Sabrblade : (06 October 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Cuz it'll take that long to mass produce.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 October 2019 - 10:47 AM)

Why is Unicron coming in 2021 and not 2020?

@  wonko the sane? : (06 October 2019 - 06:47 AM)

Shut up rattrap.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 October 2019 - 11:58 PM)

We're all gonna die!

Photo
- - - - -

Gas Price Thread.....$4+

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
479 replies to this topic

#461 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34260 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

It isn't going to be overnight. They haven't even changed the price yet; They've just indicated that they will. Crude prices won't go down until China actually starts importing less crude. But it seems likely that raising their gasoline price will do that trick.

#462 (Deactivated) Madam Jazz

(Deactivated) Madam Jazz
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Axaday @ Jun 19 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It isn't going to be overnight. They haven't even changed the price yet; They've just indicated that they will. Crude prices won't go down until China actually starts importing less crude. But it seems likely that raising their gasoline price will do that trick.

Yea I know, I'm just mad icon-wheelie.gif . I was not expecting to wake up in the morning and see $4.09...especially when I now have half a tank.

#463 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

Husband, Father, Front-End Web/Comms Guy, Podcaster

• Citizen
  • 15310 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

back up, $4.15 today.

IaconMedia.com - broadcasting new and archived podcasts

Want to play games? Let's go!

• Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0088-4646-0809
  • XBOX Live ID: Matrix_Prime

#464 Draange

Draange

You cannot resist the cuteness

• Citizen
  • 1658 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

The gas station I usually go to fell from $4.15 to $4.13 to $4.10 over about the past week.

#465 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(Draange @ Jun 19 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The gas station I usually go to fell from $4.15 to $4.13 to $4.10 over about the past week.

yeah. and i like how they report on it.

"gas prices drop for third day in a row".

and yet, are well above where they were LAST THURSDAY.

#466 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(Axaday @ Jun 19 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too bad they don't go down as fast or as much as they go up...

#467 MrFX

MrFX
  • Citizen
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

That's how it is....if they say prices are going down, it will take a week or more to see any results at all. When they say that gas is going up, you can go to the pumps either the same or next day and they'll be increased in price.

#468 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34260 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE(MrFX @ Jun 19 2008, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's how it is....if they say prices are going down, it will take a week or more to see any results at all. When they say that gas is going up, you can go to the pumps either the same or next day and they'll be increased in price.

This one will take MONTHS at least.

#469 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39016 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

Yeah, but, correct me if I'm wrong, if the rumor was the opposite way saying that China was going to lower their prices by subsidizing it more in the future, wouldn't the price jump up instantly in anticipation? It is kind of annoying how that works.

Edited by The Predaking, 20 June 2008 - 07:49 AM.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#470 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 39016 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

gas prices are starting to hurt gas stations.

http://autos.yahoo.c...as-stations-say

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - When gas station manager Roger Randolph realized it was costing him money each time someone filled up with $4-a-gallon gas, he hung a sign on his pumps: "No more credit cards."

He may be the first in West Virginia to ban plastic, but gas station operators nationwide are reporting similar woes as higher prices translate into higher credit card fees the managers must pay, squeezing profits at the pump.

"The more they buy, the more we lose," said Randolph, who manages Mr. Ed's Chevron in St. Albans. "Gas prices go up, and our profits go down."

His complaints target the so-called interchange fee ? a percentage of the sale price paid to credit card companies on every transaction. The percentage is fixed ? usually at just under 2 percent ? but the dollar amount of the fee rises with the price of the goods or services.

As gas tops $4 a gallon, that pushes fees toward 10 cents a gallon. Now stations, which typically mark up gasoline by 11 to 12 cents a gallon, are seeing profits shrink or even reverse.

In a good month, Randolph's small operation would yield a $60 profit on gasoline sales. But that's been buried as soaring prices forced the station to pay about $500 a month in interchange fees.

"At these prices, people aren't making any money," said Jeff Lenard, spokesman for the Alexandria, Va.-based National Association of Convenience Stores. "It's brutal."

Lenard's group reports convenience stores paid roughly $7.6 billion in credit card fees last year, while making $3.4 billion in profits.

The way interchange fees are structured has long annoyed retailers, prompting calls for relief.

Legislation pending in the U.S. House and Senate would allow merchants to bargain collectively with major credit and debit card companies.

The National Retail Federation says gas prices point to the unfairness of the system: Gas stations are paying more in interchange fees because the price of gas has gone up, while the cost of processing credit or debit cards remains the same.

"We have always contended that it doesn't cost Visa and MasterCard any more to process a $1,000 transaction than it does a $100 transaction," said J. Craig Shearman, vice president of government affairs at the retail federation.

The credit card companies say fees are just part of the cost of doing business.

MasterCard has capped interchange fees for gas purchases of $50 or more, said company spokeswoman Sharon Gamsin.

Accepting MasterCard also gives gas stations "increased sales, greater security and convenience, lower labor costs, and speed for their customers at the pump," Gamsin said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Visa argues that the fees are offset "by the tangible benefits to stations and their customers, such as the ability to pay at the pump," the company said in a statement to the AP.

Absent congressional action, gas stations are seeking other relief, including discounts to customers who pay in cash.

Shipley Energy, which owns 23 Tom's Convenience stores in Pennsylvania, has partnered with a new credit card company, Revolution, which charges smaller interchange fees.

Bob Astor, wholesale fuels business manager for Shipley, said those savings get passed on to customers as cheaper prices at the pump. Customers who pay with the card get an automatic 10 cent discount.

Gas stations in South Carolina, Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey and Arizona are among those offering cash customers a discount, with savings from four cents to 10 cents per gallon.

The Connecticut General Assembly recently passed legislation to make it easier for stations to offer discounts for cash purchases, bidding to cut consumer prices by 10 to 12 cents on average.

Discounts for cash customers may not, however, be the stations' salvation.

The National Association of Convenience Stores reports about two thirds of transactions at gas stations were with credit or debit cards in 2007, a figure expected to rise this year.

"The problem with cash discounts is, if people don't have the cash or don't want to spend the cash, you've inconvenienced them," Lenard said.

The experiment at Mr. Ed's Chevron, though, has paid off so far.

The station has been in business for 44 years and the ban on plastic hasn't scared many people off, Randolph said.

"We've got generations of customers who come here," he said. "Most of them have accepted it."

#471 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

If the percentage is fixed, these guys are idiots for not accepting plastic. They'll lose more customers that will hurt them more than the gain they'll make on cash sales, especially since the cash sales are generally prepay now and people hate to bother with that.

Yeah, but, correct me if I'm wrong, if the rumor was the opposite way saying that China was going to lower their prices by subsidizing it more in the future, wouldn't the price jump up instantly in anticipation? It is kind of annoying how that works.

Yes, that's how it would work, and yes it is annoying. Commodity good though - they pay for next week's purchase with this week's sales rather than paying for the gas you're pumping in now with the money they make from you now. So they're always going to be very cautious about the future.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#472 MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch

Handling lasers by hand

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I saw the price of diesel didn't go up the usual 25 cents for every 10 cents regular goes up. It actually stayed the same! Still ridiculously higher than regular, though.
It's time to bring the crunch!

#473 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23051 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

So wait... Chinese gas prices are going to skyrocket, so ours can go down? This sounds like that Twilight Zone episode, where the devil says he'll give a couple a million dollars if they push a button that means "someone they don't know" will die.

Also, while gas didn't seem to go down around here, I noticed on Wednesday and Thursday that it had held steady at $4.59 or so for the past week, instead of going up 10-20 cents like it has been. I guess that's something.

#474 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 34875 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Jun 20 2008, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So wait... Chinese gas prices are going to skyrocket, so ours can go down? This sounds like that Twilight Zone episode, where the devil says he'll give a couple a million dollars if they push a button that means "someone they don't know" will die.

Also, while gas didn't seem to go down around here, I noticed on Wednesday and Thursday that it had held steady at $4.59 or so for the past week, instead of going up 10-20 cents like it has been. I guess that's something.

The theory is that if Chinese prices go up 10%, there will be less demand and use from them which will cause oil to go down. Not sure if I agree with that, but we'll see.

#475 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

• Citizen
  • 15310 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Wheelimus @ Jun 20 2008, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Jun 20 2008, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The theory is that if Chinese prices go up 10%, there will be less demand and use from them which will cause oil to go down. Not sure if I agree with that, but we'll see.

well, oil is already back up over $3 today.

#476 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34260 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(The Predaking @ Jun 20 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing you've got to understand is that prices don't really go up for the reasons that reporters print. Reporters see the price go up and then they go fishing for something to connect it to, but it is mostly all pretend fluff. They are more interested in turning in their article in time for print than they are in communicating facts.

QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Jun 20 2008, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the big contributing factors to China's skyrocketing oil demand is that their government fixes the price artificially low with subsidies. Today they announced that they are raising the fixed price to $3.83 per gallon. They aren't doing it because they love us. They're doing it to relieve a big problem they've been having with shortages. At the old price people wanted so much more gasoline than they could provide that lots of places had trouble getting it. Now that they've raised the price to about what ours is, they are hoping that the demand and supply will be equal at the new price. If that's what happens, the price of crude isn't going to keep going up because of them.

Now, this is just China and China isn't the only one with a huge demand growth. But it should help. It doesn't mean gas prices are going back to $1. It might not even mean that they'll go down. But it should at least greatly dampen the growth.

#477 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

Yep. Telling the Chinese to drive less is going to be about as effective as telling Americans to drive less. Our prices have gone up and on the aggregate it's had a very negligible effect on our demand and consumption. I don't expect China will be different, so I don't think prices will go down as a result of this.

It should be pretty effective at dampening growth at least a bit there however, which should slow or at least temporarily pause the crazy increases. Especially since this will send a message to the market that things are actively being done to try and get the prices to not keep rising so high - that might dampen some of the speculation on the market.

However, a number of political issues (particularly in the middle east) as well as the effects in other areas of China's economy as a result of this move, may cause other issues as well, but that'll be harder to know for sure until after they do it. The immediate likely possibility is a bit of an economic slowdown in China, which might mean a bit of an inflation and a bit of an increase in price on things we trade with them to get. So we may not see the price rise on oil now, we might see it on other goods in six months.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#478 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

• Citizen
  • 15310 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

oil is up over $5 today on reports of "lower than expected US Inventories", which is the exact contradiction of yesterdays drop in oil prices.

#479 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 39016 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

icon-screamer.gif

I guess I need to fill up before they raise the price again then.

#480 Geminii

Geminii

Multiformophile

• Citizen
  • 629 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

Paid about $US6.20/gal last week when I filled up. I should start looking at cars which aren't ten years old and only getting 24mpg on a good day. Prius covered in solar panels is starting to sound good.