Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

@  Benbot : (09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM)

Those are too friendly--what if he was a Decepticon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM)

Cheesewagon

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Bus-Top has a very GoBot vibe

@  Bass X0 : (08 October 2019 - 10:51 AM)

I actually never heard of the name Megalodon until recently.

@  Noideaforaname : (08 October 2019 - 09:44 AM)

Bus-Top, Omnibus, Cerebus, Busicus, Busicon

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Otto

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Frizzle

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Crankshaft?

@  Benbot : (08 October 2019 - 08:55 AM)

What's a good name for a school bus Transformer?

@  lastmaximal : (08 October 2019 - 12:57 AM)

Huh. There's a neat name for Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megs.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 October 2019 - 11:44 AM)

It's a submarine, we swear!

@  Otaku : (07 October 2019 - 11:26 AM)

@Bass X0 Letting myself comment to say "That's a good one!" and ask "Would a megalodon be a good fit for Megatron?"

@  Benbot : (07 October 2019 - 07:59 AM)

Ohhh good one

@  Bass X0 : (07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM)

I now want a Decepticon shark called Megalotron.

@  TriBlurr : (06 October 2019 - 05:47 PM)

Gives them time to screw up the color of his hands. :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 October 2019 - 12:33 PM)

His bulk is too great to teleport across such distances.

@  Sabrblade : (06 October 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Cuz it'll take that long to mass produce.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 October 2019 - 10:47 AM)

Why is Unicron coming in 2021 and not 2020?

@  wonko the sane? : (06 October 2019 - 06:47 AM)

Shut up rattrap.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 October 2019 - 11:58 PM)

We're all gonna die!

Photo
- - - - -

Gas Price Thread.....$4+

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
479 replies to this topic

#1 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

Husband, Father, Front-End Web/Comms Guy, Podcaster

• Citizen
  • 15310 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:50 AM

So gas has shut up 20 cents (10 cents a day) for the last 2 days now. We're now sitting at $3.19 here. What's your story?

Edited by Jesse (M_P), 19 May 2008 - 05:37 PM.

IaconMedia.com - broadcasting new and archived podcasts

Want to play games? Let's go!

• Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0088-4646-0809
  • XBOX Live ID: Matrix_Prime

#2 Dissever

Dissever

WHOO WHOO Spring!

• Validating
  • 4843 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE(Matrix_Prime @ Nov 2 2007, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So gas has shut up 20 cents (10 cents a day) for the last 2 days now. We're now sitting at $3.19 here. What's your story?

Many of the prices that I see as I ride by on public transit are quite similar.
********************************* ->?<- *********************************
I DO ART (SOMETIMES!!) Transformers and dragons, oh my! http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com
********************************* ->?<- *********************************

#3 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5563 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:55 AM

Still holding on the Missouri side of the River at/around $2.69. Illinois side of the River is $2.86

Though I didn't pay attention today on my way into work, will have to update after I get home Tonight.

RYNO

#4 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19186 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:33 AM

We're still just a hair below the three dollar mark but it's coming. But the good news is by the barrel has finally topped the adjusted and then re-adjusted price for inflation! Yay, we finally beat that pesky record! Maybe now that the caveat of, "It's expensive but STILL not as expensive as back in the day!" has been removed those living in denial about oil and gas issues will have to come up with something new.

That, we just need to shoot oil speculators on sight. icon-fire.gif

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#5 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34260 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:38 AM

Last I saw, it was up to $2.85 here, which is just 10 cents shy of the high this summr and 14 cents shy of where it was during Katrina. I've heard speculation that the national average could reach $3.50 in the next few months.

Crude is out of control, selling for $94.45 a barrel today. That's $2.25 a gallon just for unprocessed crude right out of the ground. I really don't know why. The media is pretty much blaming the weak dollar, which is certainly true to an extent, since over half the crude is bought in other countries. But there has to be more to it. It was in just in the $60s earlier this year.

#6 Terrorpin

Terrorpin

FORM BLAZING SWORD!

• Citizen
  • 5069 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

Last week it shot up from $2.63 to $2.79, and then to $2.84 a couple days ago. I miss last Winter's prices.
Formerly known as Kakashi...

#7 MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch

Handling lasers by hand

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE(Axaday @ Nov 2 2007, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last I saw, it was up to $2.85 here, which is just 10 cents shy of the high this summr and 14 cents shy of where it was during Katrina. I've heard speculation that the national average could reach $3.50 in the next few months.

Crude is out of control, selling for $94.45 a barrel today. That's $2.25 a gallon just for unprocessed crude right out of the ground. I really don't know why. The media is pretty much blaming the weak dollar, which is certainly true to an extent, since over half the crude is bought in other countries. But there has to be more to it. It was in just in the $60s earlier this year.

I blame the weak president.

It's time to bring the crunch!

#8 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:28 AM

yeah. 3.15 for gas and 3.18 for diesel(which i have to buy as heating oil right now).

good thing i don't have anything else to do with the money I earn, i guess.

#9 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(Pigbag @ Nov 2 2007, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Axaday @ Nov 2 2007, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I blame the weak president.

yeah you would, but i don't see how you can connect the two. Beyond something highly leftwing.

2.79 and not bothering me any. Keep raising if you like.... I'll enjoy it

#10 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:46 AM

^ The president has presided over a poorly implemented supply-side based economic plan and done more work to destabilize the middle east (or "Where the oil's from") than anyone since the crusade. He's not *the one responsible* no, but he's sure not blameless either.

It's a very complicated issue, despite what you'll hear people griping about at the pump. Everyone has their theory about the one or two things that cause the problems, and to a degree they're all right, but they're also all quite wrong.

If anyone had the answer and if it was that easy, we'd be doing it.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#11 MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch

Handling lasers by hand

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:51 AM

I have an answer. Use hugging less oil. Fuel economy standards in this country are pathetic.
It's time to bring the crunch!

#12 Galenraff

Galenraff

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

^ Agreed.

I've been saying for a while, $5.00/gal is my prediction of when people actually start to change their behavior. Over $3.00 they'll complain a lot, over $4.00 and they'll really start screaming about it like it's a big damn emergency, but it won't be until after $5.00 that people actually start taking the bike, bus, train, or other ways to get around.

I think the tragedy of that is that prices first got up over $3.00 a few years ago now, and there has been almost no movement toward any improvements of the country's public transportation systems. If people do start switching in great numbers, it'll flood the system, and no one will be able to get anywhere. The prices scaled back down and, predictably, people stopped caring and just assumed it was "better now" rather than realizing that things aren't going to go back to the way they were. The time with the prices back down was not taken advantage of to make improvements to the public transportation infrastructure, and I think that will ultimately prove to be a big mistake.

#13 Darkstream

Darkstream

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Nov 2 2007, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ The president has presided over a poorly implemented supply-side based economic plan and done more work to destabilize the middle east (or "Where the oil's from") than anyone since the crusade. He's not *the one responsible* no, but he's sure not blameless either.

It's a very complicated issue, despite what you'll hear people griping about at the pump. Everyone has their theory about the one or two things that cause the problems, and to a degree they're all right, but they're also all quite wrong.

If anyone had the answer and if it was that easy, we'd be doing it.

Oils from Canada and Mexico. We get about 20-25% of our oil from the middle east. Not buying that Galan.

the dollar answer seems to make more sense than anything else. Blaming the president is just knee-jerk.

I have an answer. Use hugging less oil. Fuel economy standards in this country are pathetic.

Yes we solved the issue!!!!!
How about something a little more concrete

I think the tragedy of that is that prices first got up over $3.00 a few years ago now, and there has been almost no movement toward any improvements of the country's public transportation systems. If people do start switching in great numbers, it'll flood the system, and no one will be able to get anywhere. The prices scaled back down and, predictably, people stopped caring and just assumed it was "better now" rather than realizing that things aren't going to go back to the way they were. The time with the prices back down was not taken advantage of to make improvements to the public transportation infrastructure, and I think that will ultimately prove to be a big mistake.

I doubt it. You need a massive overhaul of PT in order to get what you want. We are just to spread out.
You need to replace gasoline with something Else. Something cheap and renewable.
Pt is nice in theory, but i doubt it will happen.

#14 Galenraff

Galenraff

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

Oils from Canada and Mexico. We get about 20-25% of our oil from the middle east. Not buying that Galan.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the middle east had the largest concentration of the world's oil supply. (Not where *we* necessisarily buy it from.) Destabilization in there will change the world market for oil because others who also get their oil from there will be trying to get it from Mexico, Canada, etc. too. It doesn't happen in a bubble.

the dollar answer seems to make more sense than anything else. Blaming the president is just knee-jerk.

It contributes, but the global economy is a touch more complicated than that. This one issue isn't on it's own.

You need a massive overhaul of PT in order to get what you want.

I'm not saying that light rails should replace every road by the end of 2008 or anything. But I think that improvements to the infrastructure could have been happening in more places over the last few years. The improvements will happen one way or the other, but instead of looking ahead, right now they're going to face making them when it's too late, as a response to a massive problem rather than being anticipatory.

All the public pressure is on "cheaper oil" or "gas alternatives" because people want to drive their cars more cheaply. The day will come when driving a car the way we have been for the past 30 years is not going to be efficient or affordable, and people will need to do something different in their behavior to get around. Right now all the focus is on preserving current behaviors, but when those behaviors change, then what? There's to this point been very little progress in addressing that issue.

#15 Darkstream

Darkstream

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:38 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the middle east had the largest concentration of the world's oil supply. (Not where *we* necessisarily buy it from.) Destabilization in there will change the world market for oil because others who also get their oil from there will be trying to get it from Mexico, Canada, etc. too. It doesn't happen in a bubble.

no that part is true. I just wanted you to be more clear on what you were saying icon-fire.gif

I don't know how hard China and Russia are trying to buy oil from Canada and Mexico. I know they are trying to get it in Iran because it will hurt us. ( least Russia is)

It contributes, but the global economy is a touch more complicated than that. This one issue isn't on it's own.

I have no idea. Not my area honestly. Just said it seems like a more likely answer.

I'm not saying that light rails should replace every road by the end of 2008 or anything. But I think that improvements to the infrastructure could have been happening in more places over the last few years. The improvements will happen one way or the other, but instead of looking ahead, right now they're going to face making them when it's too late, as a response to a massive problem rather than being anticipatory.

All the public pressure is on "cheaper oil" or "gas alternatives" because people want to drive their cars more cheaply. The day will come when driving a car the way we have been for the past 30 years is not going to be efficient or affordable, and people will need to do something different in their behavior to get around. Right now all the focus is on preserving current behaviors, but when those behaviors change, then what? There's to this point been very little progress in addressing that issue.

Of course they will when its to late. Welcome to America. We do everything we should have 5 minutes ago.

Really? I think all you need is a little of both. People like to be "free". you need something to replace gas, and you need to build more rails etc.
cars are not a dinosaur that needs a nice asteroid to come down.

#16 Galenraff

Galenraff

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

Really? I think all you need is a little of both. People like to be "free". you need something to replace gas, and you need to build more rails etc.
cars are not a dinosaur that needs a nice asteroid to come down.

That's correct. Cars have their places, and the freedom is good. But if you look at the rail system in Europe (at least the western areas where it doesn't suck), it's pretty effective for a lot of people.

We built our cities around cars though, just like Europe's cities were built around...being old, really. So either way, it's a lot of integration to get a system in that wasn't there originally. But whatever we can do to keep ahead of demand would be better.

Not as a replacement to cars, but as a replacement to a lot of what cars are used for. There's no reason to drive a car by yourself back and forth to work every day - particularly in urban areas. And that commute is the largest consumption of fuel and biggest use of cars. Buses, trains, and other regular transportation methods can be used for what is essentially a fixed route - the freedom a car brings isn't necessary in that case. That's just an example. The same could be said of kids going to school. And people could change their shopping habits, particularly now that superstores are so common. A trip to the store every week or two could easily replace the 3-4 smaller trips most people make each week now.

Edited by Galenraff, 02 November 2007 - 09:54 AM.

#17 Darkstream

Darkstream

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:56 AM

this is true. Or just schedule your routes better.

#18 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34260 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

For the record, about a third of our imported oil comes from Mexico and Canada. Only about a quarter of our imports come from the Middle East itself, but a full half of it comes from OPEC.

But it really doesn't matter who we buy our oil from. OPEC holds 2/3 of the world's supply. So much that if they stopped selling, no country on Earth would be able to get as much as they wanted. That gives them a lot of power. They don't just control THEIR price. They controls EVERYONE's price. There's a going rate at any given time and no one who owns a well is willing to sell for less than the going rate. If you just have one well, there's nothing you can do, but if you hold 2/3 of the world's oil, you sell more when you want to sell more oil and you sell less when you want the price to go up.

#19 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23051 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:46 AM

The cheapest I saw yesterday in Hollywood and Laguna Beach was $3.14, at a crappy station that only takes cash or ATM cards, and charges a fee for ATM cards. Other stations were $3.19-3.25 or so. A couple of months ago, $2.85 was easy to find.

#20 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42191 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

It was a 1.07 here yesterday. That's canadian dollars and per LITER.
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.