Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:59 AM)

we'll move to the open garage if it's raining

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

every Halloween since we got a house, TMM and I chill in the driveway with a fire bowl and roast things while handing out candy. It's pretty great.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 November 2019 - 03:42 AM)

Peter Cullen voiced King Kong let that sink in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:42 PM)

I've noticed that after a year or two, though, people with children will start getting into it for their kids

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:41 PM)

I think a lot of the decline you see in Halloween is due to newcomers to Canada who don't really get it... I mean,there are only a handful of countries in the world that practice this particular oddity

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (06 November 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I recently attended a talk on Samhain and its associated mythology by a professor from Limerick.

@  Otaku : (06 November 2019 - 11:49 AM)

Trunk or Treats have become more popular because it is supposed to be safer, and even if it isn't, it just tends to be easier for the Trick-or-Treaters.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 November 2019 - 11:00 AM)

That's okay: between ever more extreme weather, ever more violent society, and general paranoia of parents: halloweens not doing to well out here either.

@  Anonymous X : (06 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

We used to have Bonfire Night here in the UK as our thing instead of Halloween... It's withered away for the most part. Halloween used to be the strange American tradition you knew of from ET or various cartoons

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 November 2019 - 06:33 AM)

So that's why I never get invited anywhere.

@  Otaku : (05 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

@Bass X0 Are we talking about the quality of the costumes or their subject matter?  The former is a natural result of cosplay growing less and less niche over the decades.  The latter isn't new; mass produced stuff is at least as old as you or I and are we sure no one dressed as a cowboy or astronaut or whatever in the 1950's?  Monsters weren't allowed at certain parties, strange as it sounds. XP

@  Benbot : (05 November 2019 - 12:23 PM)

is the quick reply broken for anyone else or is it just me?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (05 November 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Announcement! TF Roll Out Short Gotta Go Fast! Storyboard in the works! Green lit Real Soon.

Photo
- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
645 replies to this topic

#621 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

Ahhhhh. Thanks.

#622 Draconis

Draconis
  • Supporter
  • 857 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

Book 4? Air Temple? Chapter one? Forbidden LOVE? SAAYY WHAAAT icon-silverbolt.gif

Heres the link......couse i suck at embedding

(from the sdcc)

Edited by Draconis, 29 July 2008 - 04:39 PM.

Autobots know not of him...Decepticons fear him....
But one thing is for sure...HE WILL GET HIS REVENGE!

#623 Nick Shogun

Nick Shogun

Warm Liquid Goo Stage Beginning

• Validating
  • 1295 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

That's pretty creepy. Aren't they all like 14 or something?

#624 Onyx Minor

Onyx Minor

Teporocho

• Staff
  • 11016 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(Draconis @ Jul 29 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Book 4? Air Temple? Chapter one? Forbidden LOVE? SAAYY WHAAAT icon-silverbolt.gif

Heres the link......couse i suck at embedding

(from the sdcc)

Funny, but cruel. icon-fire.gif

#625 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

CHAOS! You got a one way ticket to CHAOS! CHAOS!

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE(Nick Shogun @ Jul 29 2008, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, because 14 year olds never get into relationships. Don't guys that age still think girls have cooties?

Aaaaanyways, god, I hate Avatar fans at convention panels. SHUT - THE - HELL - UP - SO - I - CAN - HEAR - THE - PANEL! Half of the stuff they said in that Forbidden Love thing was completely obliterated. I even tried a different recording of it and only got one or two more words.
Like what was Zuko saying before "I don't want to lose my bending"? I'd GUESS "don't tell Aang".
Or what did Toph say at all. I thought I hear "Water Tribe", and then there was a pic of her kissing

They also don't know how to use the time they're given, as half the Q&A session was wasting with platitudes that were all quite obviously clear. Although it seems like there's very little for them to really say at this point.
I would like to know if they're going to be doing any new work, especially Avatar-related, even if it's just a comic adaptation of the show, or comic short story continuation that wraps up the end... or if they're going to be looking for other work.
Also interesting to hear that the movie is going to be a "pretty faithful adaptation of book 1" with a few new... what was it" Tweests? or interpretations? (Aang is a girl! Har har har!)

#626 Nick Shogun

Nick Shogun

Warm Liquid Goo Stage Beginning

• Validating
  • 1295 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(RavageX-9 @ Jul 30 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, because 14 year olds never get into relationships. Don't guys that age still think girls have cooties?

I just meant that you usually don't see fourteen-year-olds in some of those of positions.

#627 (Deactivated) combiner1

(Deactivated) combiner1
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

although i do like the idea of having more Avatar (eventhough it's just a prequal to the series) i have to wonder, Is Nickolodean really going to milk this all the way????

The story has been said, the ending was spectacular, the last four episodes made a killing in TV land, it's the best series that Nick has in years (well I think the best ever), so why not leave the series as it is, end it on a high note.

I'm not a big fan of Nickolodean (I think Avatar was the only show I've watch that Nick produced), So i gotta ask this question: Aside from Avatar, has there been any Nick series that has been good as this???

#628 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9690 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(combiner1 @ Jul 30 2008, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
although i do like the idea of having more Avatar (eventhough it's just a prequal to the series) i have to wonder, Is Nickolodean really going to milk this all the way????

The story has been said, the ending was spectacular, the last four episodes made a killing in TV land, it's the best series that Nick has in years (well I think the best ever), so why not leave the series as it is, end it on a high note.

As far as anyone knows they are leaving it as it is, aside from the live-action movies of course. I don't know what you're talking about when you mention a prequel series, as nothing like that has been announced.

Yeah, the finale did make a killing in the ratings, with 5.6 million veiwers -- the most Avatar's ever gotten -- it tied for the fourth-highest rated show on cable for the week.

#629 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16865 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(Nick Shogun @ Jul 30 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just meant that you usually don't see fourteen-year-olds in some of those of positions.

And you sure don't usually see TWELVE-YEAR-OLDS like Toph able to fill out a bikini like that.

How many Avatar fans are really just in it for the slash and shipping?

#630 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(Nick Shogun @ Jul 30 2008, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You watch them while they make-out? :>

#631 (Deactivated) combiner1

(Deactivated) combiner1
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Kil @ Jul 30 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(combiner1 @ Jul 30 2008, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as anyone knows they are leaving it as it is, aside from the live-action movies of course. I don't know what you're talking about when you mention a prequel series, as nothing like that has been announced.

Yeah, the finale did make a killing in the ratings, with 5.6 million veiwers -- the most Avatar's ever gotten -- it tied for the fourth-highest rated show on cable for the week.

sorry about that, i was just thinking of Avatar MMO (my bad)

I do have another question.
If water bending has a blood bending as a variation, lightning bending for firebending and metal bending for earthbending, does this mean that spirit bending is a variation of air bending????

think about it, each element has it's own variation which was shown on the series, except air. then you have all the air nomads are very spiritual. plus when Aang uses spirit bending he wasn't in the avatar mode. plus the fact that none of the previous avatar gave Aang the option of using spirit bending, that tells me that the previous avatar does not know about spirit bending (so it's not an "avatar only" power)

so does that mean spirit bending is a variation of air bending????

#632 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9690 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(Thylacine2000 @ Jul 30 2008, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enough for the creators to devote time at convention panels to poking fun at them.

QUOTE(combiner1 @ Jul 30 2008, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry about that, i was just thinking of Avatar MMO (my bad)

Ah, right, that. Well, I don't think having an online game set at some point in the Avatar universe does much of anything to affect the show itself.

I do have another question.
If water bending has a blood bending as a variation, lightning bending for firebending and metal bending for earthbending, does this mean that spirit bending is a variation of air bending????

think about it, each element has it's own variation which was shown on the series, except air. then you have all the air nomads are very spiritual. plus when Aang uses spirit bending he wasn't in the avatar mode. plus the fact that none of the previous avatar gave Aang the option of using spirit bending, that tells me that the previous avatar does not know about spirit bending (so it's not an "avatar only" power)

so does that mean spirit bending is a variation of air bending????

According to the episode information on Nick's Avatar webiste, "Energybending" is a technique available only to the Avatar, and only a very few Avatars have ever learned it.

In another piece of Avatar news, it seems that while the Book 3, Volume 4 DVD release that's out now doesn't have a commentary on the finale, the complete Book 3 box set coming out in September will.

#633 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE(Kil @ Jul 31 2008, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In another piece of Avatar news, it seems that while the Book 3, Volume 4 DVD release that's out now doesn't have a commentary on the finale, the complete Book 3 box set coming out in September will.

Great! This is why I wait for the box sets for this show.

#634 (Deactivated) Nemo Yojimbo

(Deactivated) Nemo Yojimbo
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:46 PM

damn, swooping in on the boxsets are gonna be as bad as star trek for me. totally worth it, but just as bad.

#635 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9135 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(Kil @ Jul 29 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Jul 29 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I found this the other day. Anybody know if its a real storyboard of an unused epilogue to the last episode, or if its just very convincing fanart?

That was a joke epilogue the creators showed at... some convention a while back. Forget which one.

Yeah. It's a specific reference to the epilogue of Harry Potter. Train station and all.

#636 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65957 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Kil @ Jul 22 2008, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(MirageAg99 @ Jul 22 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I loved the music during the Azula Zuko fight.

The entire score was wonderful, and that was the most amazing part of it. Instead of Awesome Fight Scene Music, it was something haunting and sad. Because they're brother and sister and they're trying to kill each other, and its a tragedy.

The music through out the series, and the finale in particular, was amazing, but I feel that was my favorite piece of all.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#637 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(Kil @ Jul 31 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Thylacine2000 @ Jul 30 2008, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enough for the creators to devote time at convention panels to poking fun at them.

I had to go look up "shipping". I hope you're happy, internet! I hope you're happy!

#638 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:04 AM

personally, I still feel Book 4: Air, would really make for a good season. Pick up a few years on perhaps? To restore balance to the world, Aang needs to rebuild the Air Benders. He travels to world locating hopefuls and becomes a skywalker like leader. Meanwhile, Zuko has to find Ursa, Azula can get free, etc etc.

Hell move it forward 20 years, and have Avatar, the Next Generation (kinda jk).

I feel there are more stories to tell in this universe, especially in the animated format and it would be a shame for it to be over after 3 incredible seasons.
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#639 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36466 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

I agree, there really should be an epilouge of some sort to answer stuff like "how will balance be restored if there are no more Air Nomads" and I think Zuko really should find his mom.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#640 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

They could split it and switch back and forth between the past and the future to make things interesting, since there's probably not enough material for after the end of book 3.