Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 (Deactivated) SweetJazzofMine

(Deactivated) SweetJazzofMine
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:03 PM

Ok, I have to know. I beta'd this heap of disappointment from October until it was "released". Then, I played it for 3 months after it's "release". I couldn't take it anymore after that. I was soooo disappointed with everything that was promised, how great it was supposed to be, even what it was like in early beta compared to what it was like when it released. At times, I still dream about it and think about my little Gnome Blood Mage.

Reading MMORPG.com's forum today brought me upon a post that said, "Should Vanguard be scrapped?" and it got me wondering about it. I miss it from time to time, and I was wondering, who here still plays it, have played it, and, if you're like me, are planning on *maybe* installing it again sometime at the end of the year or the beginning of next year, just to see if it became worthwhile?

#2 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5609 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:43 AM

Played it towards the end of its beta and a few months after.

SOO much wasted potential. What's so disappointing is that like SWG, the core ideas behind the game were sound, but the implementation was riddled with bugs and balance issues. Had a Gnome Psoionocist as my main, myself.

The thing would crash my machine routinely and they SHOULD have used a GFX engine designed for seamless worlds and not that hackjob they did with the Unreal engine.

I'm gonna keep my eye on it and hope they improve the overall experience. Currently NOT doing the MMO thing at all, though I've got a few upcoming ones on my radar.

#3 Firebird1

Firebird1

HAND LASER R US

• Citizen
  • 1308 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:49 AM

See you have learned an important lesson like I learned with Auto Assult, Wait for the trial!

crbBhpr.gif

vYg7qjY.jpg

#4 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60174 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

I bought it for 20 dollars yesterday and am playing the free month.

Former players can play for free this month -- it says all prior accounts are active.

If you want to hook up, let me know. I don't know how the game used to be, but as a noob, I'm rather enjoying the different classes and stuff.

#5 (Deactivated) Madam Jazz

(Deactivated) Madam Jazz
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Jul 14 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought it for 20 dollars yesterday and am playing the free month.

Former players can play for free this month -- it says all prior accounts are active.

If you want to hook up, let me know. I don't know how the game used to be, but as a noob, I'm rather enjoying the different classes and stuff.

Yea I have been playing it for a little bit...every time they do that whole "hey it's free come look!" thing I always fall for it and go look. It has improved a ton compared to the way it used to be. My little Gnome Bloodmage is still there, and she's still fun. I don't know though, it's still...missing...something. I don't know what it is though.

I am on Seradon, if you see a little Gnome running around named Inabi, or a wolf running around named Aamalthea (or Aamalthia) that's me icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by Madam Jazz, 14 July 2008 - 05:02 PM.

#6 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5609 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

Hmm, guess I can dig out my old install disks and give it another whirl. Dunno if I'll play my old Gnome Psionicist or create a new character.(If I do create a new character, I have a feeling it'll once again be a Gnome, though... Either that or a Raki.

It's probably missing cohesion. The game really suffered when the art director died before the art was completed, leaving it a bit of a mishmash of different styles that don't flow together very well. Being bounced around from publisher to publisher probably didn't help much either.

If you guys decide on a server, let me know... I'm re-installing now and I'm sure I'll be sitting around for a couple of hours waiting for the patching to finish.

Edited by Zedoben, 14 July 2008 - 06:24 PM.

#7 (Deactivated) Madam Jazz

(Deactivated) Madam Jazz
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(Zedoben @ Jul 14 2008, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, guess I can dig out my old install disks and give it another whirl. Dunno if I'll play my old Gnome Psionicist or create a new character.(If I do create a new character, I have a feeling it'll once again be a Gnome, though... Either that or a Raki.

It's probably missing cohesion. The game really suffered when the art director died before the art was completed, leaving it a bit of a mishmash of different styles that don't flow together very well. Being bounced around from publisher to publisher probably didn't help much either.

If you guys decide on a server, let me know... I'm re-installing now and I'm sure I'll be sitting around for a couple of hours waiting for the patching to finish.

Oh it looks great now. I haven't been to a ton of places (only 28) but it's nice. They added a bunch of stuff including....racial mounts.

Why everyone likes to shaft Gnomes I'll never understand but we...well we...we get to ride a chicken icon-screamer.gif Everybody else gets cool stuff like a spider, a worg, a freakin scorpion and a panther but we OH lets give the Gnomes the chicken! HUR HUR!

...sorry. I was so mad when I found out I went and bought myself a camel to ride so it could spit on all the other races and their neat mounts!

#8 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5609 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:22 PM

Ah, I don't mind riding a chicken. Almost everyone else gets mammals or arthropods... Gnomes are the only race to get an avian icon-hotrod.gif

Heck, it could be worse... Half Elves are stuck with a TURTLE icon-fire.gif

#9 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60174 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

Well, there's only 3 servers and one PVP server and they are Low pop.

#10 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5609 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:49 PM

Ah, didn't realize they had dropped down to 3 servers. That should make things easier, hehe...

#11 (Deactivated) Madam Jazz

(Deactivated) Madam Jazz
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Jul 14 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, there's only 3 servers and one PVP server and they are Low pop.

Seradon is the best. Hands down. Unless you like pvp, but honestly games like this one and Eq2 should not have PvP. But this one actually does try to separate pvp from pve (unlike some companies coughblizzardcough) so it's not as bad but being free game from level 7 really isn't fun. At least it wasn't for me!

#12 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60174 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

Well, I enjoy PvP and think its an important part of the game, but I also enjoy questing and dungeons. I think if you don't do one or the other, you're missing out on content.

#13 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5609 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

Thing is MMO's end up with so much content that unless you play 24/7 for a LONG stretch of time, or are VERY good at the game(I'm aware that I rather suck at MMO's due to my kind of erratic play-style) you're gonna miss out on content weather you PVP or not. With Vanguard, content and play-style are rather varied and there are numerous sub-games outside of PvP or PvE combat(Despite it's issues, Vanguard DOES have one of the deepest crafting systems currently on the market and the diplomacy sub-game could be spun-off as a half-decent, though limited, card game in it's own right)

*edit* I wonder what server my Gnome ended up on....

*edit 2* UGH... patch download keeps 'canceling'....

Edited by Zedoben, 14 July 2008 - 08:32 PM.

#14 (Deactivated) Madam Jazz

(Deactivated) Madam Jazz
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

Diplomacy is an addiction waiting to happen. I tried it once and ...didn't want to stop lol. I'll have to admit that you're right about crafting, it's pretty danged fun and easy to get started with. I never thought I'd say this but I like their harvesting. Especially foresting...seeing some huge tree fall after I've chopped it and the ground shake when it hits...I never get tired of that. It's something I'm surprised I don't see in other games, really.

My bf had the cancelling download issue. You might have to scan your files at some point.

#15 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60174 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

Yeah the cancelling thing kept happening to me but I just resumed it and it never had to restart, just continue.

#16 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5609 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

I had to scan a couple of times... I think there are some issues with the server.

*edit* Well, after several issues, the client is FINALLY patched up. Looks like my characters ended up on Xeth after the spat of server mergers..

Might just re-create my main on the other one.. Not like I remember how to play after over a year anyway...

Edited by Zedoben, 15 July 2008 - 12:34 AM.