Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

@  wonko the sane? : (17 May 2019 - 03:51 PM)

I was intemately familiar with humour... but she just wanted to be friends...

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 May 2019 - 12:10 PM)

BZT Time out! Time out! Time ooooooouuuuuut!!!

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 08:23 AM)

Yes. Are you familiar with humor?

@  Sabrblade : (17 May 2019 - 07:50 AM)

You are familiar with The Room, yes?

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 01:14 AM)

nah, tuxedos are formal wear

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 10:38 PM)

*...while dressed in a tuxedo*

Photo

What do you all do about dust?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Detective Fork

Detective Fork

Generic Purple Wavey Avatar

• Citizen
  • 2996 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

I am envious of some of the Transformers displays I've seen pictured in this forum. My collection is just as big as some of yours but I have less room to display things. I have the Classics out and a few other choice and random items but most of my poor 'bots sit boxed and bagged in the closet. One day, I want to change that; when I have more space, I want to put most of the collection out on shelves. But that brings me to the question of dust...

Do most of you who have collections that are displayed (and not enclosed in cases) take all your figures off the shelf and dust on a regular basis? How many hours does it take? Or do you let them sit there and collect dead skin cells? Some of the collections I've seen on here take up shelves and shelves throughout a whole room and the dusting just seems like a mind-boggling proposition. Even with the small percentage of toys I have displayed, it takes a fair bit of time to dust things off. I've been known to let it go for too long, far too often.

"It's a question of dust..."
-Depeche Mode

Edited by Detective Fork, 17 May 2007 - 03:13 PM.

#2 Stormrave

Stormrave

Decepticon Field Commander

• Retired Staff
  • 21315 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

Frankly, I'm usually lucky to keep the toys on the shelves...

IF I see my TF's looking furry...ie, not the beast wars ones...then I take a swiffer cloth and use that to take the dust off them. It doesn't leave residue or guck on them because it's dry, but it's good at catching dust. Other than that, every few months I take them off, dust the shelves, and put them back on in a different arrangement.
Pilot, Writer, Decepticon

http://www.fictorian...ns/mary-pletsch

#3 Detective Fork

Detective Fork

Generic Purple Wavey Avatar

• Citizen
  • 2996 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(Stormrave @ May 17 2007, 06:19 PM) View Post

Frankly, I'm usually lucky to keep the toys on the shelves...

IF I see my TF's looking furry...ie, not the beast wars ones...then I take a swiffer cloth and use that to take the dust off them. It doesn't leave residue or guck on them because it's dry, but it's good at catching dust. Other than that, every few months I take them off, dust the shelves, and put them back on in a different arrangement.

Wow, thread got pinned.

I guess the dusting turns out to be a good way to actually get us to do more than just stare at our toys. Handling them and rearranging is always fun. Still, have you seen the size of some of the displays people have posted on here? Might need to hire a maid. ;-) I picture Rosie from The Jetsons.

Edited by Detective Fork, 17 May 2007 - 06:50 PM.

#4 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Let there be night, and damn the sun

• Supporter
  • 44024 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

I don't bother to dust often. When I do (usually around the beginning of spring and the middle of fall; I'm not exactly obsessive about cleaning), I put a fan in the window facing out and take some canned air to my collection. That takes off most of the dust. Anything left, I go after it with a few clean rags and wipe them clean. It takes a while, but it also gives me a chance to decide if Item X is going to stay out or get put away in favor of something else. I got a late start on it this year, and a lot more ended up put away than usual (I'll be posting picks shortly), but the job still gets done.

#5 Kenny G

Kenny G

Proudly Un-Politically Correct!

• Citizen
  • 456 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

Try those Swifer feather-type dusters. THey get into every nook and cranny.
Also, some companies make polish/wax for diecast cars. It repels dust, but it can only be used on painted surfaces.

MEAT IS MURDER Tasty, tasty murder...

Vampire penguins? Zombie guinea pigs? We're done for.... done for

#6 (Deactivated) moonbat

(Deactivated) moonbat
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:13 AM

I usually take each toy down and dust them individually and the shelf itself once every 6 months.

But since I have Doors on my shelves it helps keep em pretty clean as is..

#7 (Deactivated) skythunderscream

(Deactivated) skythunderscream
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

Drape a bed sheet over on them if you can. Take it off only when you want to enjoy them. It will help some.

#8 Amphibitron

Amphibitron

Look at this handsome devil.

• Citizen
  • 1780 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

My figures have a thick protective layer of dust which helps protect them from the sun's harmful rays.
Beast Machines Rattrap = Enzo Matrix from ReBoot in a wheelchair
bigbot69 - anphibatrons a guy?!?!?!?!?!
Hornet - Oh, dear god! Don't tell me she's a bishoven!

#9 (Deactivated) Jetstorm

(Deactivated) Jetstorm
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

To be honest, I keep fiddling with all of my displayed figures so much that dust rarely becomes a factor. ^^;

#10 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43851 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

What you gonna do about all that dust?

All that dust upon your bust?

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#11 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6626 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT get it wet. If any wet dust gets left behind in cracks it will harden into something not unlike concrete, in an obscene way. My recommendation, go to the dollar store and get a cheap toothbrush.

Edited by PlutoniumBoss, 25 November 2007 - 07:07 PM.

In need of Movie Arcee's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#12 Blindmouse

Blindmouse

Ya need a cookie?

• Supporter
  • 6676 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

I just throw them away when they get dusty.

I'm just a baller like that.

#13 Rikkomba

Rikkomba

Minicon Master

• Citizen
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:51 AM

I put half of my collection in a space under the TV, I can't see my figures anymore but they are all standing and not in storage, something that I hate. Other shelves are to the window's side, so most dust won't go there. Then I only have 2 shelves with my Vector Primes and Magna Jet Convoys, and the one in front of the window needs serious dusting from time to time, the other is less problematic. When I had all my collection on display, it was a real nightmare!

#14 Shadow Convoy

Shadow Convoy
  • Citizen
  • 188 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

I ahve allergies and my wife and daughter have a cat. She bought me an air purifier a couple of Christmas's ago to keep down allergens such as pet dander adn dust. Well i was in a resale store and saw another one and decided to get it to place in my office. WORTH EVERY PENNY! My collection pieces that have been on my new shelves the longest, over for well over 8 months, have NO dust. New air cleaner cost about $40 bucks or so at Walmart but the 2 used ones cost me $5 to $10.
"Then rang the bells both loud and deep. God is not dead nor doth he sleep..."

#15 (Deactivated) secretcode

(Deactivated) secretcode
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

Use q-tips for those hard to get places.

#16 Skullgrin140

Skullgrin140

Nope...

• Citizen
  • 2680 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

I use a paintbrush to get all of my figures dusted, and sometimes I use a brush with a little tip to get those hard to reach places.

I AM THE LAW!!!

#17 (Deactivated) sixshot2000

(Deactivated) sixshot2000
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

There is no dust on my 20 Transformers.

#18 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 18019 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(Skullgrin140 @ Sep 21 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use a paintbrush to get all of my figures dusted, and sometimes I use a brush with a little tip to get those hard to reach places.

S'my way of doing it, though generally preceded by blowing off the top layer/excess.

UnHImyv.png

#19 Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3

Autobot Killer

• Citizen
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE(Amphibitron @ Oct 16 2007, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My figures have a thick protective layer of dust which helps protect them from the sun's harmful rays.

Never thought about it like that... I'm never dusting again lol

I use a makeup brush to dust mine, cheep blush applicator has really soft bristles and usually gets into those little nooks and crannies pretty easily.

^please DON'T click this banner^

#20 (Deactivated) chenmeifang

(Deactivated) chenmeifang
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:30 AM

learning...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users