Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

Photo
- - - - -

So Letís Talk About Beast Machines

143 replies to this topic

#41 Megaplexia Prime

Megaplexia Prime

With a lactating basilisk and a K-sized Sharoda!

• Citizen
  • 4722 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:07 PM

Love this.
Even this early on in the series you can see Primal beginning to deteriorate. Hes constantly losing his monkeyshit and the loss of Cybertron and the Beast Wars is weighing heavily on him. Its no wonder he becomes an extremist.
Rattrap too is deteriorating. He was always cocksure(if pessimistic) and first to grab a gun in a fight. Now hes crippled, helpless, stripped of weapons and desperate - its no wonder her acts the way he does in Weak Component.
The only person who seems incongruent is Megatrons sudden organic hate. But after being torn from the ship in transwarp space, it never states how long hes been gone - it must have been a very long time for him to set his plan in action. What happened to him? How did he do it? Now theres a prequel Id live to see

I agree that Megs’s personality is incongruent, but remember, from his perspective, BILLIONS of years have gone by cus of where in the time stream he got dropped off on Cybertron, or wherever it was he ended up. Who knows what kind of nuttery he encountered in those years. In my personal headcanon (and I feel like this may have influenced IDW Meg’s characterization too) post-BW/pre-BM Megs probably witnessed countless skirmishes between Autobots and Decepticons and later Maximals and Predacons and probably came to the conclusion that the reason his side always lost was because of Earth and it’s influence on the outcomes of all battles in favor of his enemies. Earth culture and presence also probably intermingled with Cybertronian society after the Great War (kind of like post-IDW 2005) to kind of cement and celebrate the cooperative history of Earth and the Autobots bringing them victory over the Decepticons, which lead to the Preds being slaves as Megs sees it. And so, much like what he started in that valley on prehistoric Earth, he renewed his attempts to wipe out any instances of existence related to Earth, up to and including organic beast modes. Then of course when that wasn’t good enough on it’s own he wiped out individuality like any typical dictator. Then he was hit with a triple whammy of not only his old enemies returning, but with individuality AND with Earth beast modes. And so we get what we got with BM Megs and his zealotry to end all (remaining) organic existence of Cybertron. Taken this way, his characterization seems pretty congruent to me, just taken to their logical extremes from the seeds of things that enraged him back in BW.

Judge me when you're happy with your life.

#42 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9956 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:08 AM

Here's a once-lost piece of Beast Machines media: The rare "Battle for the Spark" series intro that originally played during the latter half of season 2 when airing on Fox Kids, and which none of the DVDs ever used:

https://www.youtube....h?v=z6zTtcY1d54

Wow, never saw that before. Kinda cool. Show wise, would have been Battle for the Sparks, all the Sparks. Made it seem like one single important spark. Yes, I know it was the secondary name of the toyline.

Hey, did folks complain before about who Obsidian and Stryka could have been? Like, were there proposed G1 alternates that could have been used? Shockwave, for instance, for Obsidian.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#43 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:33 AM

Transtech would have been a sequel to BM, so...?

That's what I meant

#44 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:36 AM

Next to Transformers Prime, Beast Machines is my 2nd favorite Transformers series of all times.  It is what really got me back into collecting after taking 10 years off.  And of course, you all know how much I like Vehicons. :)

Prime definitely had the best fights

#45 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:01 AM

Here's a once-lost piece of Beast Machines media: The rare "Battle for the Spark" series intro that originally played during the latter half of season 2 when airing on Fox Kids, and which none of the DVDs ever used:

That wasn't on the Kid Rhino DVDs from like 2004?

Nope. I have those DVDs and every episode just uses the Season 1 intro.

In fact, in several shots seen in the Season 1 intro on the DVDs, the aspect ratio of the picture is scrunched up to 4:3 fullscreen when it is actually 16:9 widescreen. This is most evident in the first shot of Cybertron at the very beginning of the Season 1 intro, which appears to be very narrow and squashed.

Comparison:

Default 3:4 aspect ratio with squished Cybertron:

mAQexGo.jpg

Modified 16:9 aspect ratio w/ fully round Cybertron:

JkA7zEL.jpg

This is the same with the Season 1 intro used on Tubi as well.

However, it is only certain shots of the intro that are in this 16:9-scrunched-up-to-4:3 aspect ratio. For instance, the shot Blackarachnia emerging from the Oracle above Rattrap and Cheetor, and the final shot of Cheetor before the Beast Machines logo at the end of it, are all in a proper, non-scrunched, cropped 4:3 aspect ratio. Same with the episodes themselves after the intro.

But, since every widescreen shot of the intro is taken from season 1 episodes (minus the first shot of Cybertron pictured above, which is unique to the intro), that means that full widescreen versions of at least those season 1 episodes may exist out there somewhere.

Edited by Sabrblade, 29 April 2021 - 11:07 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#46 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21617 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:28 PM

Awesome find. Man I miss those days. And then we got RID (serviceable) and then Armada

Did RID (the 2001 anime I mean) ever get a proper release?

ty3jHaa.jpg

#47 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52951 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

The writers very clearly had characters and actions written beforehand and then awkwardly crammed the Beast Wars cast into them after the fact.

card-strongarm.jpg

#48 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:49 PM

It got released multiple times on DVD in the UK, but never in the US due to Disney buying Saban at the time.

Saban never reacquired the show from Disney, and Hasbro has likewise made zero attempts to get it back. Disney probably doesn't even know they have it, if they still do.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#49 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:07 PM

Before it was Beast Machines, there was...

Beasthunters.jpg

BEAST HUNTERS, the next evolution of the popular Beast Wars franchise, continue their fight against the evil dragon Megatron and his hordes of Predacons in 13 all-new episodes with cutting edge computer animation, action, adventure and humor, produced by Mainframe Entertainment.
Promotional text from a February 9, 1999 Fox Kids press release.

#50 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 7143 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

It was a mixed bag, but the bag was a trash bag.

I hated the charter designs, but the animation was fantastic.

The atmosphere was phenomenal, and I appreciated the more mature story telling, but they took one seasons of story and padded it out to 2.

Haven't watched it in forever, but from what I recal every episode was some story>run from vehicles>everyone use there signature move to destroy some>escape>a little more story.

No real weapons was really dumb. Both G1 and Beast Wars established tons of hand held, and built in guns and missles, the fact that Cybertron is no completely barren of these is a real stretch.

One or 2 characters having fairly radical shifts in personality, maybe, but everyone is way off here. There was mention of there "experiences" changing them earlier in the thread. Most of these guys are probably hundred, if not thousands of years old, or older, even under extreme circumstances huge personality shifts seems like a stretch after existing that long.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#51 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17469 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

Did the BW season 3 credits - with the spaceships crashing - ever get released on home video? I know they weren't on Kid Rhino DVDs.

#52 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4677 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:26 PM

It got released multiple times on DVD in the UK, but never in the US due to Disney buying Saban at the time.

Saban never reacquired the show from Disney, and Hasbro has likewise made zero attempts to get it back. Disney probably doesn't even know they have it, if they still do.

I expect Disney knows they have it but to them, its pretty much, worthless, there is nothing they can actually do with it and with Hasbro not really being intersted in buying it off them, it will just sit in their vault until the following happens:

1. Hasbro actually decides to buy the rights back

2. The ownership rights expire and they rights revert back to original holder, my guess, then its likely Hasbro than Saban, thou I could be wrong on that as its a legal mine field but if Disney were to doing anything, they would need to make an agreement with Hasbro first but given Disney's current mentalty, I'm going to say, not a chance in hell because they would have to pay royalties to Hasbro for the use of the Transformers brand on top of the ones involving character names, so why should they pay for someone else's IP and the profit margin would be pretty small!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#53 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 5322 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:53 PM

Wish I could say, “HA! I told you so!” to all the haters at the time, but I don’t remember who was where when.

Anyway, my view on it hasn’t changed, in that it was a maturing of the Transformers story in a way that was way ahead of its time that was under-appreciated and much more intellectual than people were used to seeing so they hated it whereas at the time I loved it. It was my favorite TF show.

Now, I think it’s not as fun as BW, but I still find it really nifty.

One thing that I remembered back then was getting into constant bickering matches with people online regarding the changes in characterizations that most found jarring or out of left field, but for which I thought were completely natural and people thought me insane for thinking so. Now, I can point to The Walking Dead. Beast Machines is literally The Walking Dead for Our Heroes from Beast Wars. Their home literally overrun by massive maurading hordes of mindless zombies. When you’ve lost everything, that level of despair changes you. In Beast Wars, the Maximals were in their element. They were cock-sure and full of bravado. They were explorers on an alien planet. They are literally living the dream of their professional careers. Except for the whole roving band of criminal pirates they were also marooned with. But when they got home, after all of that, only to arrive to the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse right after all they had to go through to save the universe, that’s got to be a devastating, soul-crushing thing. So Primal became a religious zealot. Rattrap was just done with everything and wanted to hide. Blackarachnia just wanted to live out the rest of her remaining moments with her one true love. Cheetor lost his innocence permanently. Rhinox went completely off the deep end and Silverbolt became permanently disillusioned with his outlook on life. All of these very NATURAL and NORMAL responses to the trauma of completely losing everything you’ve ever known and loved. It’s one thing to have the hope of coming home to constantly lift your spirits up for the next wink and a quip; it’s a whole other thing to go home, and realize there is nothing left; no hope any longer, and for that to utterly break you.

Anyway, I’ve always loved and always will love BM. It’s a fantastical if not tragic sequel to BW. If anyone has anything to say about it’s major departure for characterizations, I simply point to the Walking Dead. Rhinox becoming a megalomaniac makes as much sense as a gym teacher becoming one. It makes sense given their circumstances.

I'm sure people have compared it to a zombie apocalypse before, but that's an excellent analogy.

Although the complaint about Primal never made much sense to me, I've always thought he was getting more spiritual in Season 3, first merging with Prime's spark which to quote Rhinox "had the Matrix with it" giving him a brief connection to it, then reading the Covenant of Primus, and then hearing the Oracle in his head, then Megatron's taunting, and cherry on top being Rhinox turning on him.

For the toys they certainly made some weird choices, Ultra Nightscream, Deluxe Optimus, Mega scale (and yet was smaller then deluxes) Megatron. But I love all of the toy Vehicons.

#54 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:30 PM

One or 2 characters having fairly radical shifts in personality, maybe, but everyone is way off here. There was mention of there "experiences" changing them earlier in the thread. Most of these guys are probably hundred, if not thousands of years old, or older, even under extreme circumstances huge personality shifts seems like a stretch after existing that long.

Dude, no. None of the Maximals and Predacons of Beast Wars/Machines were anywhere near that old. They considered the Autobots and Decepticons their "ancient ancestors" and the Great War is the stuff of Arthurian-esque legend by their lifetime, yet all of which existed only "three centuries ago."

Dawn of the Predacus's nonsense notwithstanding.

Did the BW season 3 credits - with the spaceships crashing - ever get released on home video? I know they weren't on Kid Rhino DVDs.

It wasn't on the Shout! Factory DVDs either.

Nor was the proper full version of the Season 1 intro on either the Rhino or Shout DVDs, only the shortened version from when Season 1 aired on the Power Block.

Edited by Sabrblade, 29 April 2021 - 11:32 PM.

#55 ZacDeath

ZacDeath

I am not dead, I'm overwintering.

• Citizen
  • 1160 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:57 PM

I will on occasion pop the DVD in just to watch the final fight between Primal and Megatron. It was the most epic battle I had scene until The Last Airbender final battle.
WWOPD?

#56 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:07 AM

I will on occasion pop the DVD in just to watch the final fight between Primal and Megatron. It was the most epic battle I had scene until The Last Airbender final battle.

Allow me to ruin part of that fight for you with this absolutely weird YTV commercial featuring Optimus voiced by the guy who voiced Thomas the Tank Engine in the Magic Railroad movie:

:D  :wtf

#57 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 25036 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:14 AM

Dude, no. None of the Maximals and Predacons of Beast Wars/Machines were anywhere near that old. They considered the Autobots and Decepticons their "ancient ancestors" and the Great War is the stuff of Arthurian-esque legend by their lifetime, yet all of which existed only "three centuries ago."

What is with the "Arthurian legend" analogy that keeps getting thrown around? Those were set in sub-Roman times, so about 1500 years ago. Even on a human timescale, 300 years is well within recorded history rather than the realm of legend. It sounds like Cybertronians have bizarrely poor record keeping.

#58 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:18 AM

What is with the "Arthurian legend" analogy that keeps getting thrown around?

That's how Bob and Larry described it back in the day.

Silverbolt even says "I've heard only legends," when he is first shown the Ark by Blackarachnia, saying that he wasn't even sure that the Ark had ever even really existed.

It sounds like Cybertronians have bizarrely poor record keeping.

The Maximal Elders did restrict public access to certain Great War records.

Edited by Sabrblade, 30 April 2021 - 12:24 AM.

#59 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 25036 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 01:01 AM

Did they consistently use that analogy, or was it an on-the-fly improv comment that the fandom kept repeating?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 30 April 2021 - 01:04 AM.

#60 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17469 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 03:52 AM

The Maximal Elders suppressed all records of the Great War ("Possession") and banned travel to Earth ("Deep Metal"). This is probably because they knew or reasonably suspected G1 Megatron's plan to avenge his own defeat relied on convincing people to get to Earth and change history ("The Agenda part 2").

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 30 April 2021 - 03:54 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users