Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

Photo
- - - - -

So Letís Talk About Beast Machines

143 replies to this topic

#21 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21617 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

Wish I could say, HA! I told you so! to all the haters at the time, but I dont remember who was where when.

Anyway, my view on it hasnt changed, in that it was a maturing of the Transformers story in a way that was way ahead of its time that was under-appreciated and much more intellectual than people were used to seeing so they hated it whereas at the time I loved it. It was my favorite TF show.

Now, I think its not as fun as BW, but I still find it really nifty.

One thing that I remembered back then was getting into constant bickering matches with people online regarding the changes in characterizations that most found jarring or out of left field, but for which I thought were completely natural and people thought me insane for thinking so. Now, I can point to The Walking Dead. Beast Machines is literally The Walking Dead for Our Heroes from Beast Wars. Their home literally overrun by massive maurading hordes of mindless zombies. When youve lost everything, that level of despair changes you. In Beast Wars, the Maximals were in their element. They were cock-sure and full of bravado. They were explorers on an alien planet. They are literally living the dream of their professional careers. Except for the whole roving band of criminal pirates they were also marooned with. But when they got home, after all of that, only to arrive to the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse right after all they had to go through to save the universe, thats got to be a devastating, soul-crushing thing. So Primal became a religious zealot. Rattrap was just done with everything and wanted to hide. Blackarachnia just wanted to live out the rest of her remaining moments with her one true love. Cheetor lost his innocence permanently. Rhinox went completely off the deep end and Silverbolt became permanently disillusioned with his outlook on life. All of these very NATURAL and NORMAL responses to the trauma of completely losing everything youve ever known and loved. Its one thing to have the hope of coming home to constantly lift your spirits up for the next wink and a quip; its a whole other thing to go home, and realize there is nothing left; no hope any longer, and for that to utterly break you.

Anyway, Ive always loved and always will love BM. Its a fantastical if not tragic sequel to BW. If anyone has anything to say about its major departure for characterizations, I simply point to the Walking Dead. Rhinox becoming a megalomaniac makes as much sense as a gym teacher becoming one. It makes sense given their circumstances.

Love this.

Even this early on in the series you can see Primal beginning to deteriorate. Hes constantly losing his monkeyshit and the loss of Cybertron and the Beast Wars is weighing heavily on him. Its no wonder he becomes an extremist.

Rattrap too is deteriorating. He was always cocksure(if pessimistic) and first to grab a gun in a fight. Now hes crippled, helpless, stripped of weapons and desperate - its no wonder her acts the way he does in Weak Component.

The only person who seems incongruent is Megatrons sudden organic hate. But after being torn from the ship in transwarp space, it never states how long hes been gone - it must have been a very long time for him to set his plan in action. What happened to him? How did he do it? Now theres a prequel Id live to see

ty3jHaa.jpg

#22 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21617 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:34 AM

Its an Evolution Revolution

https://youtu.be/vUH4qfS1xRc

How have I never seen this before?

ty3jHaa.jpg

#23 Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

I live to serve

• Administrator
  • 10783 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:40 AM

Next to Transformers Prime, Beast Machines is my 2nd favorite Transformers series of all times.  It is what really got me back into collecting after taking 10 years off.  And of course, you all know how much I like Vehicons. :)

#24 TriBlurr

TriBlurr

The Purple Monkey

• Citizen
  • 6926 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:42 AM

https://youtu.be/vUH4qfS1xRc

It was shown during a Fox Kids preview event hosted by Frankie Muniz back in the day if I recall correctly.

#25 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:53 AM

It was shown during a Fox Kids preview event hosted by Frankie Muniz back in the day if I recall correctly.

More information - https://tfwiki.net/w...tion_Revolution

Also, much higher quality version:

Edited by Sabrblade, 28 April 2021 - 09:55 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#26 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 767 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:48 AM

The toys were pretty great.

As for the show...

As a cartoon: B

As a Transformers cartoon: C-

As a Beast Wars sequel: F-

Rattrap didn't even sound like Rattrap
Black Arachnia lost her edge

Wish we got Transtech as a sequel

#27 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 19392 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

Transtech would have been a sequel to BM, so...?

#28 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:26 AM

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#29 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 2174 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

More information - https://tfwiki.net/w...tion_Revolution

Also, much higher quality version:

Thank you! I've been wanting a higher-quality version of this for ages, but never had any luck finding one.

I've always been amused how that preview keeps getting more and more intense, and culminates in this great hero shot... that then turns out to be completely anti-climactic in the actual show.  :D

Anyway, I always enjoyed BM. I never had too much trouble with the character changes due to the circumstances they're put in. My biggest complaint was how annoying Nightscream was. Other than that, I really enjoyed the show quite a bit.

#30 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Wha?

• Citizen
  • 4794 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:19 PM

Season 1 is without argument the weakest part of the show. My recommended watch list would look like this:

1. The Reformatting
2. Master of the House
3. Fires of the Past
4. Mercenary Pursuits
5. Forbidden Fruit

11. The Key
12. The Catalyst
13. End of the Line

Half the season, all the highlights, extremely little lost plot, the worst episodes get clipped. 

#31 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18614 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:48 PM

I need to rewatch.

I know I liked it fine at the time even though some of the Maximals were occasionally a bit out of characters, but I probably haven't watched an ep since it went off the air so it's hard to say how it holds up. I do own it. I should watch.

I remember liking the art style. It was bold at least.

While many of the toys were cool I hated one facet of the toyline: That was the line that Hasbro decided that the toys didn't need to be even close to in scale with each other and it drove me nuts. Teeny tiny condor Silverbolt and GIGANTIC Nightscream, were so annoying.

I would LOVE new figures of Jetstorm, Botanica, Savage Noble, a small Nightscream and a nice LARGE Tankor.

-ZacWilliam, Jetstorm is currently the top of my list of fun characters that have never had a toy that looks like his cartoon self. That's what Generations needs next IMO.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 28 April 2021 - 12:49 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#32 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42349 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:35 PM

Binge watching it makes it better and worse.

Better because it obviously wants to be a fast paced, highly serialized show. It's paced like a continuous narrative written by one writer, chopped up every 22 minutes.

Worse because the show is weirdly repetitive for how short it is and the continuity between episodes is not great, like the writers were not checking with each other at all to make sure characters' motivations and what they know or don't know yet fits from one episode to the next. It kinda needs the weekly gap between episodes to disguise it a bit.

There's no ideal way to watch it.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#33 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 778 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:59 PM

I think the only thing I hated about BM was that ending, which I know has been discussed to death over the past 21 years.

However, its just not a satisfying conclusion to the original G1 cartoon mythos *for me*. The idea of an organic Cybertron is one thing, but theres no follow up.

Id still like a follow up, which is incredibly unlikely given the multiverse situation we have now.

i mean, technically Universe 2003 is a follow-up story-wise.

#34 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 5072 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:27 PM

Even this early on in the series you can see Primal beginning to deteriorate. Hes constantly losing his monkeyshit and the loss of Cybertron and the Beast Wars is weighing heavily on him.

If they had kept Megatron inside the shuttle on the journey back to Cybertron instead of strapping him to the roof like a trophy, Beast Machines would never have happened, so it's even partly his fault that Cybertron fell!

#35 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36690 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:32 PM

Beast Machines is a show I really should rewatch... well, watch, really, as I missed most of it during its TV airing and had to read synopses online. Then I purchased and sold the DVD box set without even breaking it out to watch. (I was broke at the time and needed to sell almost everything for a quick buck)

It seems like it would be a good series to revisit, especially now that some of the IDW comics have set new standards for what can be done with Transformers for a mature audience.

I want to know what technorganic Cybertron society is like years after the reformatting. One of these days I'll get around to writing a fic about it! ...well, probably not, I'm lazy.

#36 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21617 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:19 PM

Its worth noting for those looking to rewatch it, it (and actually most Transformers shows) are available to watch on Tubi TV for free with a non-terrible amount of commercials. Im watching it there because Im too lazy to dig out my DvD set lol.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#37 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:00 PM

Here's a once-lost piece of Beast Machines media: The rare "Battle for the Spark" series intro that originally played during the latter half of season 2 when airing on Fox Kids, and which none of the DVDs or Tubi ever used:

Edited by Sabrblade, 29 April 2021 - 11:38 PM.

#38 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 5501 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:12 PM

I thought Beast Machines was okay initially, but I wasn't able to keep up with a job I had at the time.  Watching years later, in a complete run, I really grew to love the series.  It was a far more sophisticated take on Transformers, with some wild ideas that were just so much MORE than the brand was willing to touch at the time.  Season 1 is a bit rough in places, but season 2 things really clicked and I'd say the entire season is worth watching.

Toys were a mixed bag, but I have developed a fondness for the sheer weirdness they experimented with during that period of toy design.  The Vehicons are still among the best alien Transformers mechanical designs the brand has seen in the toy front.  I'm still forever sad we never got Transtech, which seems to build on that design aesthetic.

I'm... amused... that the next Generations cycle is reportedly being dubbed "Legacy", but most of what we've heard about are remakes.  And I hold LITTLE hope of seeing much of Beast Machines, much less Transtech, in this next cycle.

#39 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17469 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:09 PM

Here's a once-lost piece of Beast Machines media: The rare "Battle for the Spark" series intro that originally played during the latter half of season 2 when airing on Fox Kids, and which none of the DVDs ever used:

https://www.youtube....h?v=z6zTtcY1d54

That wasn't on the Kid Rhino DVDs from like 2004?

#40 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 9326 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:27 PM

I'm... amused... that the next Generations cycle is reportedly being dubbed "Legacy", but most of what we've heard about are remakes.  And I hold LITTLE hope of seeing much of Beast Machines, much less Transtech, in this next cycle.

And knowing our luck, we'd get something like Transtech Starscream but Hasbro would just grab the first picture off the wiki and he'd be stuck with that hideous face FunPub gave him instead of a proper Transtech Starscream look.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users