Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

Photo
- - - - -

So Letís Talk About Beast Machines

143 replies to this topic

#1 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21617 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:21 PM

Heya Folks! Been awhile!

After finally seeing a few of the WFC Kingdom figures in person (Ive GOT to get that Dinobot) I decided to watch Beast Wars for about the 8th or so time. A lot of it holds up real well - Season 2 remains one of the best American Cartoons has ever offered. Some of it doesnt - does anyone want to talk about how terrible Go With the Flow really is? Me neither.

But having finished Beast Wars, I figured it was time to give Beast Machines another run - about the third time I think for this series.

Now granted Im only 4 episodes in, but guys. Beast Machines is like really good. Im blown away by how good the animation still is, really taking advantage of the spareness of Cybermon, the dark shadows, and the still 90s cool action and techno. Ive noticed how stylized even the laser blasts are, with comic-book esque flashes around the bolts. And holy crap I didnt remember Megatron sounding so terrifyingly sinister, yesss.

Combined with the slowly unfolding mystery and the constant sense of helplessness, holy cow this show is something else.

So guys what are your more recent thoughts on Beast Machines now that its been nearly 25 years?

I know my thought is I want a goddamn accurate Jetstorm.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#2 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:32 PM

Loved the show as a kid.

Loved it as a teenager.

And still love it as an adult.

It's basically the Majora's Mask to Beast Wars's Ocarina of Time.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#3 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52951 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:33 PM

The toys were pretty great.

As for the show...

As a cartoon: B

As a Transformers cartoon: C-

As a Beast Wars sequel: F-

card-strongarm.jpg

#4 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3622 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:52 PM

I watched the series twice, both right after Beast Wars, which really didn't do Beast Machines any favors. I really need to watch it just by itself one of these days.

My initial reaction back then was basically MUNKY NOT TRUKK, oddly enough. Nowadays I adore the Vehicons, but at the time them ditching animal modes for tanks and jets and bikes was enough for me to lose what tenuous interest I had in the brand entirely.

#5 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:57 PM

I know my thought is I want a goddamn accurate Jetstorm.

If only:

9u2Pz3c.jpg

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#6 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21617 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:58 PM

why you do this to me?

ty3jHaa.jpg

#7 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:07 PM

why you do this to me?

So that we know what to use to keep bugging Hasbro with (now that they're finally acknowledging more than just G1 in mainstream Generations lines).

"Make THIS, Hasbro! Give it to us!"

;)

Edited by Sabrblade, 27 April 2021 - 11:07 PM.

#8 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9956 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:18 PM

Originally watched it from the middle of season 2 to the end (Silverbolt was already back, when they split into teams to find the sparks). The ending half was one of the best and intense ongoing eps to watch.

Watching season 1 felt like it was going backwards because I had to be introduced to Nightscream and Vehicon generals again but it was fine. Too bad I didn't get to properly experience the twist on the Vehicon general sparks.

I'd say Blackarachnia was the best fighter in the group but Rattrap was the essential team member, since they didn't have Rhinos with them. Good for him for stepping up to be the tech guy.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#9 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

See if you can take the power of justice!

• Retired Staff
  • 2542 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:00 AM

I was 12-13 at the time of Beast Machines. And between just being a 12-13 year old and the story that was more philosophical than I was used to, I just didn't "get" the show. The toys didn't do anything for me either. To be fair, the toys still don't. I think a lot of Beast Machines designs were great, in retrospect, but the toys of the era didn't do them justice. We need more Beast Machines love in Generations.

Anyway I wrote Beast Machines off entirely as that "weird sequel" to Beasties.

I revisited it...G-d it has to have been over ten years ago now. Geeze I'm old. Anyway, the whole series was available on YouTube back then, and I binged it in a few days when I was in uni. And you know what? I like it.

There are missteps, to be sure. There's a lot of liberties taken with characterization between Beast Wars and Beast Machines. You sort of have to detach it from Beast Wars to a degree, which isn't ideal for a sequel series.

On the whole though, it's a show that explores the ideas behind Transformers and tries to go in some mature directions. Some more cerebral directions that the franchise's television media hasn't come close to matching since. And it was mature in a "hey let's talk about some weighty subjects about philosophy and faith and personal agency/identity" and not what a lot of people think of as "mature," ie overly dark and violent. Beast Machines was a special series, and we'll likely never going to get a show like it again.

That, I think, is why its strengths outweigh its weaknesses. The weaknesses are there, but they're easy to forgive because the rest of the show is so unique, in a good way.

Edited by LordGigaIce, 28 April 2021 - 12:01 AM.

B3v0h0W.png

#10 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42349 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:22 AM

Nah.

Look, I adore the Vehicons. One of my collection goals is to hunt down one of each, and I've been slowly chipping away at it. I have an Ultra Jetstorm with intact chrome and you can't have it.

But I still can't get into the show any more than I did at the time. It has problems that go way deeper than how well it works or doesn't as a sequel. I'm not sure it's appropriate to judge in that kind of vacuum anyway, since it is an immediate sequel, not a 'years later' kind of sequel, but whatever. It's not important. It has other problems.

It's late and Copper has the best words for this, so here's some stuff.

Yeah, there's naked allegory without in-universe meaning and there's an in-universe reality, and quite a bit of the show makes sense only through one lens or the other but not both. It's kinda bad storytelling, especially given how seriously it all takes itself.

A lot about it makes more sense now though. Conceptually pretty neat, though I'm not really sure if I'd be as into it in practice.

This is immediately way more thought than the writers of Beast Machines put in.

Technology vs Nature isn't a bad premise, nor is the message of finding balance, but my god did they not put in the footwork.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with its not being cyberpunk, I just felt it was worth explaining that wasn't what it was doing. That's separate from the question of whether Beast Machines was actually successful at doing any of the things it was trying to do, which uh ... well.

I feel like the problem Beast Machines has with its thematic elements is that it's written like allegory, but doesn't fill in both sides of the equation. It's never really clear what the conflict between order and individuality has to do with the imagery of machines and nature. Sometimes it seems literal, sometimes it seems like it's more of a thematic parallel, and it never quite adds up. We don't really know what "nature" is to the show except that we're incessantly told about "order" and "free will" or "individuality" and nature seemingly has to be associated with individuality. We don't know what the "balance" between nature and technology means for the Maximals, since it's a fantasy element in a fictional world that doesn't actually get explored in its own right, but it's presented like we're meant to understand it, and treat it as a metaphor for some further social or spiritual thing.

I feel like they could have stuck with the visual contrast between the factions and never tried to make an explicit statement or hang any plot points on it, and that would have been fine, or they could have gone all in and actually explored the two sides of this fantasy yin-yang they were drawing up. What we get feels simultaneously preachy, but too evasive to decode.

Part of me really wants to give it a pass by saying that it was a weird time in Western animation. It's the literal midpoint between BTAS telling people cartoons could be serious sometimes and Airbender delivering on the dream. But Mainframe had just managed to shift both Beast Wars and Reboot into serial shows with some heavier dramatic elements right before launching into Beast Machines, so for the same production company to grab someone unrelated to those projects and tell them to launch a series that would need to deliver on these kinds of serial drama elements and heavier themes from go just seems like it should have been an obviously bad decision even at the time.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#11 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 9554 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:46 AM

why you do this to me?

So that we know what to use to keep bugging Hasbro with (now that they're finally acknowledging more than just G1 in mainstream Generations lines).

"Make THIS, Hasbro! Give it to us!"

;)

Nobody gets anything until i get my devcon!!!
When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#12 Megaplexia Prime

Megaplexia Prime

With a lactating basilisk and a K-sized Sharoda!

• Citizen
  • 4722 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:19 AM

Wish I could say, “HA! I told you so!” to all the haters at the time, but I don’t remember who was where when.

Anyway, my view on it hasn’t changed, in that it was a maturing of the Transformers story in a way that was way ahead of its time that was under-appreciated and much more intellectual than people were used to seeing so they hated it whereas at the time I loved it. It was my favorite TF show.

Now, I think it’s not as fun as BW, but I still find it really nifty.

One thing that I remembered back then was getting into constant bickering matches with people online regarding the changes in characterizations that most found jarring or out of left field, but for which I thought were completely natural and people thought me insane for thinking so. Now, I can point to The Walking Dead. Beast Machines is literally The Walking Dead for Our Heroes from Beast Wars. Their home literally overrun by massive maurading hordes of mindless zombies. When you’ve lost everything, that level of despair changes you. In Beast Wars, the Maximals were in their element. They were cock-sure and full of bravado. They were explorers on an alien planet. They are literally living the dream of their professional careers. Except for the whole roving band of criminal pirates they were also marooned with. But when they got home, after all of that, only to arrive to the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse right after all they had to go through to save the universe, that’s got to be a devastating, soul-crushing thing. So Primal became a religious zealot. Rattrap was just done with everything and wanted to hide. Blackarachnia just wanted to live out the rest of her remaining moments with her one true love. Cheetor lost his innocence permanently. Rhinox went completely off the deep end and Silverbolt became permanently disillusioned with his outlook on life. All of these very NATURAL and NORMAL responses to the trauma of completely losing everything you’ve ever known and loved. It’s one thing to have the hope of coming home to constantly lift your spirits up for the next wink and a quip; it’s a whole other thing to go home, and realize there is nothing left; no hope any longer, and for that to utterly break you.

Anyway, I’ve always loved and always will love BM. It’s a fantastical if not tragic sequel to BW. If anyone has anything to say about it’s major departure for characterizations, I simply point to the Walking Dead. Rhinox becoming a megalomaniac makes as much sense as a gym teacher becoming one. It makes sense given their circumstances.

Judge me when you're happy with your life.

#13 Unit Eleven

Unit Eleven

y'all'dn't've

• Citizen
  • 1152 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:09 AM

Beast Machines was good

You guys are just mean

On rare occasions, I have something to say.

#14 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 778 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:08 AM

I will still say that after all these years, fox kids saturday morning block was the wrong place to air beast machines. It really should have been on Toonami, or an equivalent prime time slot to bring in the teenaged audience that would have better understood the themes of survivor's guilt, extremism, and the nature of free will.

Also, yeah, the cg has aged better than beast wars and reboot did.

Where's my Titan class Grand Mal Megatron, Hasbro?
If thats too much, I'll settle for a Leader class Savage/Noble.

#15 tigerhawk

tigerhawk
  • Citizen
  • 6698 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:29 AM

At the time I was annoyed with it as I got into Beast Wars during it's run and enjoyed discussing the episodes online on the emerging TF fan message boards (though in the UK we were a always behind). it's always hard when a show goes into new hands that clearly haven't seen the previous material and worse when the actors/VAs that bring their characters to life run with it without chiming in or some new writer or showrunner hates a character and destroys them for everyone and Beast Machines change in character for Rattrap and Megatron was jarring.

It stunk as a sequel at least back then and ripping off The Matrix film with oracles and nature vs machines was lame but a back to back marathon viewing two years ago made me realise the show was made to be watched that way rather then episodically and when removed from Beast Wars and The Matrix, it's fine on it's own.

Mainframes animation was always good and Beast Machines was a stylish step up from Beast Wars, the facial animations were a strong point for Beast Machines as was the acting, both things I'll miss in Netflix Kingdoms.

It was pointed out on Youtube Kingdoms wave 1 contained the five that began in Beast Machines: Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Cheetor, Blackarachnia and Megatron.

Edited by tigerhawk, 28 April 2021 - 02:37 PM.

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare that seeing is believing!

#16 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 19392 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:19 AM

It is and was very good, and remains arguably the most visually stylish cartoon TF has ever had.

But trying to talk about it twenty years ago exhausted all of the talking about it I will ever be able to tolerate.

#17 TriBlurr

TriBlurr

The Purple Monkey

• Citizen
  • 6926 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:38 AM

Its an Evolution Revolution

#18 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17469 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:28 AM

The most sophisticated and philosophical TF show ever, somewhat hampered because it was just a little bit too long for the plot and had to pad with a lot of chase scenes or stretching 1 episode of story into a 3-parter.

Just the open acknowledgment by many of the once-heroes that Megatron is RIGHT - that freedom and individuality can make a society fractured and prone to conflict - is way beyond most cartoons.

#19 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1511 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:29 AM

I loved the series, it was dark gritty and felt like actions had consequences.

It also felt like the last time the lore was really pushed forward before we got endless recycles and varients of g1 and nostalgia (I love g1, don't get me wrong, but we've done it).

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#20 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3469 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

I think the only thing I hated about BM was that ending, which I know has been discussed to death over the past 21 years.

However, its just not a satisfying conclusion to the original G1 cartoon mythos *for me*. The idea of an organic Cybertron is one thing, but theres no follow up.

Id still like a follow up, which is incredibly unlikely given the multiverse situation we have now.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users