Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

@  Kaon : (12 June 2021 - 08:03 PM)

man this chat is nothing but Bass X)

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 07:08 PM)

Carefull, he is a Bass Xo.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 June 2021 - 05:53 PM)

Aw, it's not even a shiny.

@  Sabrblade : (12 June 2021 - 05:27 PM)

A wild Bass X0 has appeared!

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 05:20 PM)

I didn't even try this time.

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass X÷ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 June 2021 - 02:57 PM)

Bass XO has no known weaknesses.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2021 - 06:15 AM)

Base XO is definitely unstoppable.

@  Donocropolis : (07 June 2021 - 04:30 PM)

What about magnets? No one knows how they work or what they can do.

@  Bass X0 : (07 June 2021 - 02:22 PM)

Yes Cybershark, and now no force in the universe can stop us.

@  Cybersnark : (07 June 2021 - 10:03 AM)

Aaaan we're back!

@  Telly : (06 June 2021 - 09:07 PM)

its alive! AAAALIIIIIIVEEEEEE! *maniacal laugh*

@  repowers : (06 June 2021 - 02:18 PM)

WHAT!!! ALLSPARK!!! you IN LIVE!!!!!!

@  Donocropolis : (06 June 2021 - 01:53 PM)

Indeed. I was missing it.

@  Shockwave 75 : (06 June 2021 - 11:35 AM)

So glad the boards are back!

@  Echowarrior : (06 June 2021 - 07:45 AM)

It's alive! Alive!

@  wonko the sane? : (05 June 2021 - 08:32 PM)

Aw man, I missed this place...

@  Sabrblade : (05 June 2021 - 08:31 PM)

Now here in Manhattan, the spell is broken! And we live again!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (05 June 2021 - 08:16 PM)

Groovy.

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 07:23 PM)

How is everyone

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 06:42 PM)

test

@  tigerhawk : (24 May 2021 - 07:42 AM)

I'm making progress with tweezers. It's no great loss given Dai Atlas minor roles anyway, I really do prefer this mold for Titans Overlord and Sky Shadow,

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 09:57 PM)

Had that happen once. Drilled a 1 mmhole in the peg and superglued a rivet into it for something to pull on.

@  tigerhawk : (22 May 2021 - 09:44 PM)

pliers, superglue, heat, nothing has worked so far but I had to take yesterday off due to pfizer side effects.

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 07:04 AM)

is there enough plastic sticking out to yank it out with pliers?

@  tigerhawk : (21 May 2021 - 01:05 PM)

Oh great my Legends Dai Atlas fell and the gun snapped in two, the handle is stuck in the port on top of the vehicle mode.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:14 AM)

Also, our compound terms are legendary among foreigners, because we throw them together as a single word, with no spaces and usually without hyphens too.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:12 AM)

You can have straightforward sentences that are a literal word-replace translation of stuff like "I go to school", but once you throw in perfect tense and prepositions, you end up with insane constructions where the main verb is at the very end of a very long sentence, so you have to listen to the whole sentence until you have any clue what is going on.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

And I stand by that. German sentence structure can be utterly insane.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

Fun fact: When I was teaching German kids English, I kept telling them that English grammar and especially sentence structure is more logical than German.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

e.g. Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den was by a Chinese guy pointing out the weirdness in his own language, rather than the frustrations of somebody learning Chinese as their second. So English isn't the only case where native speakers might enocunter funky issues.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

Then I shall concede, and retire.

Photo
- - - - -

VM's Weird taste in everything! (Also Unicorns)

215 replies to this topic

#1 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5862 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:53 AM

Yeah let's face it. I'm a weird person with weird tastes. Tastes that I'm sure many consider trash. But well, there's probably something wrong with me, so may as well just own it.

So this is more of a top ten list for my tastes then anything else, but I think it'll give a good idea of how OFF my preferences are to things. So we'll start with movies.

I'm gonna try to do about three. First my top ten Live Action films. Then my top ten Anime films. (As in Japan Animation just in case that wasn't clear.)

Then my top ten animated films. Mainly because the number one in that list is in fact my favorite movie of all time.

Then after that. Who knows? Depends on if this thread actually goes anywhere. Maybe I'll do my top ten favorite TV shows, animated TV shows, anime, videogames, music. Disney movies, ETC. Heck if anyone wants to see a list, just request it. (Yeah not sure that'll happen, but who knows) Don't see something on my list? Feel free to ask me about it. I'm sure my answer about it will disappoint you. >_<

So let's see... Live action hey? Hmmm

10. Mannequin 2

So just trying to start this list I was looking over the movies I owned and was trying to decide. What are my favorite films? I have plenty I enjoy. Like I went and got all the Marvel Movies, but is there a favorite of mine in there? I do LIKE many of them (Not all of them) But favorite?

No, no we have to start off with how trash my taste is by listing Mannequin 2. I love this movie. This stupid trash movie, but I love it. The first one isn't very good, but I'm always up for a watch of the second one.

9. Hot Tub Time Machine

Just a fun little comedy about time travel, with great funny moments and a great cast.

8. Happy Death Day

I'm not a horror fan, but the Groundhog Day aesthetic really drew me in. I found the film to be really good with some great humor. The sequel isn't bad, but clearly no match for the first one. (Watched Freaky recently too. It's not bad either, but it's no Happy Death Day)

7. Accepted

My brothers and I would quote this film all the time. "Check the cobbler. Glug glug glug" "I hope you guys have hobo stab insurance"

6. Zombieland

The only zombie film I've ever enjoyed. I feel it knew what it wanted to be and never strayed from that. Even the climax of the film with it's drama kept in the spirit of what came before.

For anyone wondering. I've seen Shaun of the Dead, but I don't care for that one as near the end I felt it tried to do the typical Zombie drama, and it fell flat for trying.

5. I Robot

Well this is on here probably because I've not read the book it was based on, and well sorry but don't really have any desire on intension of doing so. Bottom line, I just love this movie. So much I got it in 3D just for the experience.

4. Groundhog Day

Probably not surprising given I have Happy Death Day on my list. What can I say? This is a classic.

3. Stardust

I love this movie. The right amount of Fantasy, enjoyable characters, great effects, decently paced, and well I'm a sucker for a romance.

2. Ghostbusters!

The original of course, yes I've seen the "Answer the Call" reboot. I don't think that one is the worst movie I've ever seen, but it just does NOT have the chemistry or good writing the original films had. I'm sorry.

I, like I'm sure most people, like the first one better then the sequel, but I still enjoy the sequel.

1. Back to the Future. Like all of them.

Okay if I had to pick one, the first one, though over the years, I've grown fond of the third one as well. Oddly enough I think the second one is the weakest of the trilogy, though by no means bad.

I just love this movie. I love the music, it's nearly impossible not to love the characters of Marty and Doc. This is hands down my favorite movie trilogy of all time!

And yeah. Those are my top ten favorite live action films. There are of course plenty of movies I enjoy, but favorites? Not quite.

Well I found out I'm mostly a comedy fan it appears. I'm sure if I had to choose my top ten action films, or Sci Fi films I could make those lists.

Not really a horror fan so maybe a top five of those movies. Hell I've never actually seen like 99% of all those slasher films out there. Yes that includes pretty much every Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street.

Also don't like drama. So a drama list just can't happen.

Usually when I see top ten movie lists, I always see things like Godfather, or Lord of the Rings, but I've never actually seen either Godfather, and still to this day haven't managed to watch Return of the King. Like everyone tells me it's a great film, but when I ask to borrow their copy it's always: "Oh I don't own any of those"

>_> 

Anyway, go ahead and call my tastes trash. There's no denying it.

Edited by videomaster21XX, 27 February 2021 - 09:11 AM.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#2 Corgis Pal

Corgis Pal

I don't need a rationale to sing The Internationale

• Supporter
  • 6829 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:03 AM

Happy Death Day and 2U are precious babbys and I will not hear anyone speak ill of them.

#3 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27563 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:08 AM

Anyone who calls Groundhogs Day, Ghost Busters or Back to the Future "trash" will answer to me. I kinda like I Robot as one of those guilty pleasures. The only other one of those that I've seen is a TV edit of Mannequin 2...which was pretty bad tbh.

I keep hearing that I need to watch Zombieland. I may have to put that on my list.
Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#4 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15920 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:25 AM

Zombieland was fun, and I don't get why you think some of these are trash. Nothing wrong with liking fun movies vs critically acclaimed ones.

I like Zoolander b/c it's so stupid funny, a lot of people just think it's stupid. :D Kung Fu Hustle is a nice balance of humor, ridiculous action, and a bit of drama.

#5 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:40 AM

I kinda like I Robot as one of those guilty pleasures.

I'm torn. People can live entirely valid lives without a ghost of appreciation for science fiction and I can't really criticize that per se. Movies that do horrible crimes to a genre, form, or technique that I like probably just don't care much about that thing and are doing other things instead. And it's not necessarily a mark of poor character or something if a person likes Pixels or Scary Movie. 

Certainly a person who likes I, Robot is not someone I'm going to go to, or anyone else should, for reviews and recommendations of sci-fi movies, and they probably shouldn't be around electronics that take any more care and competency to use than a Chromebook, either, but it doesn't inherently make them bad people. 

I can't speak to whether Hot Tub Time Machine makes you a bad person because I saw the trailers in ads and considered them an intrusively unpleasant experience and never considered wanting to see more. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#6 Logicron

Logicron

It's Summer!

• Citizen
  • 37502 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:41 AM

The great thing about the Back To The Future trilogy is it turned out to be a lot more epic than it had any right to be thanks to the music.

​“One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts behind that mask, what dreams of chronic and sustained cruelty!”

#7 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5862 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:26 AM

I'm calling this my "Trash taste in everything" because you have to understand. These are my FAVORITE movies, and if you look at other people's lists. You'll notice there are a LOT of films 'missing' so to speak.

Like for others, I'd see something like Pulp Fiction, or Citizen Cain, or maybe some new 'thought provoking' film like Parasite. Now to be fair, none of those are on my list as I've not seen any of them, but at the same time. I'm not really all that interested in seeing them either.

Um, let's see Amadeus. I feel a lot of people would say they love that movie. I watched it. I thought it was okayish at least until the end. Thought the ending sucked to be honest. Pretty much walked away feeling it was just meh.

I'm sure more of a picture will be painted when I have time later today to put up my top anime, and hopefully animated films.

Spoiler

#8 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5862 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:29 AM

I kinda like I Robot as one of those guilty pleasures.

I'm torn. People can live entirely valid lives without a ghost of appreciation for science fiction and I can't really criticize that per se. Movies that do horrible crimes to a genre, form, or technique that I like probably just don't care much about that thing and are doing other things instead. And it's not necessarily a mark of poor character or something if a person likes Pixels or Scary Movie. 

Certainly a person who likes I, Robot is not someone I'm going to go to, or anyone else should, for reviews and recommendations of sci-fi movies, and they probably shouldn't be around electronics that take any more care and competency to use than a Chromebook, either, but it doesn't inherently make them bad people. 

I can't speak to whether Hot Tub Time Machine makes you a bad person because I saw the trailers in ads and considered them an intrusively unpleasant experience and never considered wanting to see more. 

One you of all people should know that my tastes are crap compared to yours.

Two This part here:

and they probably shouldn't be around electronics that take any more care and competency to use than a Chromebook, either, 

See that to me feels like you are calling me a moron. So I'm stupid is that it? I'm going to be blunt, we're not exactly friends. If you feel this is harmless teasing, I don't really see it that way. I see this as you honestly insulting me, simply because I don't have the same taste in movies as you.

Not really a fan of that. However we are in mayhem, so I'm chalking it up to 'That's how it is here' and I'm over reacting.

Spoiler

#9 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:44 AM

I'm calling this my "Trash taste in everything" because you have to understand. These are my FAVORITE movies, and if you look at other people's lists. You'll notice there are a LOT of films 'missing' so to speak.

Like for others, I'd see something like Pulp Fiction, or Citizen Cain, or maybe some new 'thought provoking' film like Parasite. Now to be fair, none of those are on my list as I've not seen any of them, but at the same time. I'm not really all that interested in seeing them either.

Um, let's see Amadeus. I feel a lot of people would say they love that movie. I watched it. I thought it was okayish at least until the end. Thought the ending sucked to be honest. Pretty much walked away feeling it was just meh.

Right but I think a majority of people would probably say that Back to the Future is a more fun movie than any of these deliberately elevated and thoughtful films that people tend to use as examples of high art in cinema or assign a lot of literary depth to. It's really not as unusual as you think for Ghostbusters or Back to the Future to be high on someone's favorite movie list. They're well-regarded classics especially to our generation. 

See that to me feels like you are calling me a moron. So I'm stupid is that it?

No. Fnu's brilliant and he's not allowed around electronics either. I, Robot is a movie that thematically only makes sense if you're afraid of toaster ovens with too many buttons.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#10 Logicron

Logicron

It's Summer!

• Citizen
  • 37502 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:51 AM

The main driving force behind I, Robot is Will Smith being a retro weeb for consumer products that were discontinued decades before his character was even born, just so the movie could have product placement.

​“One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts behind that mask, what dreams of chronic and sustained cruelty!”

#11 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27563 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:21 AM

I mean, I enjoy things like Terminator, Matrix, I Robot...heck, even Metropolis has that very real "machinery bad" point. That doesn't mean I expect the machines to rise up and take over...except maybe Siri. She's a bit too sassy for my comfort. *turns wary eye towards his iPhone*
Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#12 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 1010 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:49 AM

Eeh, watch what you want to watch, listen, read, do, whatever. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

2. Ghostbusters!

The original of course, yes I've seen the "Answer the Call" reboot. I don't think that one is the worst movie I've ever seen, but it just does NOT have the chemistry or good writing the original films had. I'm sorry.

I, like I'm sure most people, like the first one better then the sequel, but I still enjoy the sequel.

I've always felt that GB2 is roughly on par with the first. The first act of 1 is better, but the middles of both are pretty close, and the last act of 2 is way better, with a much better villain.

#13 Logicron

Logicron

It's Summer!

• Citizen
  • 37502 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:00 AM

Ghostbusters 2 kind of suffers from Bill Murray being even more of a sourpuss than he was in 1 because he prefers to do artistic movies like Groundhog Day.

#14 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27563 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:13 AM

Don't get me wrong. I like Ghostbusters 2. But I always felt it suffered from the same thing Gremlins 2 suffered from.

The first was a pretty good mixture of horror and comedy, having both but not really leaning too heavily on either one. The sequel not only leaned far more on comedy (personally I'd rather they'd have gone the other way), but was also painfully self-aware.

#15 Logicron

Logicron

It's Summer!

• Citizen
  • 37502 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:29 AM

Self-awareness in sequels usually stems from lampshading the jokes from the first movie because it's easier than coming up with new material.

#16 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15920 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:59 PM

I understood that these are your fave movies. My point stands. It's just a matter of preference.

#17 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42317 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:25 PM

I, Robot is a movie that thematically only makes sense if you're afraid of toaster ovens with too many buttons.

They do have too many buttons though, and most of them do nothing except beep to say "Don't press me. I'm just for show."

B5ofTKU.jpg

#18 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5862 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:34 PM

Okay so I hate myself, but that's what I get for making this list at 1am in the morning

So the REAL number 3 movie is Jim Henson's the Labyrinth. 

Okay real talk, if you asked me who my real life hero is, it's Jim Henson. Look at what he gave us. The imagination he had for each and everything he crafted.

This movie clicks all the right buttons for me. It's visually stunning, it has GREAT music. (Screw you Real Life Comics) I love the characters. I bleeping love this movie, and can NOT believe I missed it somehow when making my list.

Spoiler

#19 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Follow your heart, let it guide you through the dark

• Supporter
  • 50681 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:43 PM

When I was little, my sister tried to give me to the Goblin King.

I will not be taking questions at this time.

#20 Logicron

Logicron

It's Summer!

• Citizen
  • 37502 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:45 PM

David Bowie as the Goblin King was the most amazing thing in that movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users