Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

@  Kaon : (12 June 2021 - 08:03 PM)

man this chat is nothing but Bass X)

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 07:08 PM)

Carefull, he is a Bass Xo.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 June 2021 - 05:53 PM)

Aw, it's not even a shiny.

@  Sabrblade : (12 June 2021 - 05:27 PM)

A wild Bass X0 has appeared!

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 05:20 PM)

I didn't even try this time.

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass X÷ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

Photo
- - - - -

Emma Stone is Disneys' "CRUELLA"

37 replies to this topic

#21 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:43 AM

It's been out. How was it? A friend saw it and said it was 'good so far but sad' then he ended with 'its actually awesome'.

Haven't seen it yet but most reactions I've heard from people is that it's terrible.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#22 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 14209 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 June 2021 - 05:34 AM

Spoiler

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#23 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Ballistic Knight Rises!

• Staff
  • 15290 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:13 AM

Another awful attempt at rewriting and de-villainising a classic irredeemably evil Disney villain because… reasons. I mean, the plot of this film might have been an aversge film, had it not been trying to rewrite Cruella de Vil!.

Spoiler

fslookup.jpg

#24 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4672 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:18 AM

While I not seen this, I hear its not doing very well at the box office and people looking at Streaming data are saying its not preforming well on Disney plus despite what they actually say (another Razal dazal lie by a company that all style and no substance of late), yet for some reason its getting a sequel, despite the fact so far the film hasn't recooped its costs and normally, most films need to make about twice their budget to break even as that includes marketing costs!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#25 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 15071 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 09 June 2021 - 03:10 AM

I actually enjoyed it. The strongest part, of course, is the performances from the female leads, as well as that wild fashion catalogue (using most of it in montage form is smart and made sense in plot terms, but only if you squint to ignore the passage-of-time weirdness).

Thing is, it didn't really have to be this character; this would have been a fun and engaging film if it were a wholly original story. But then I guess a not-insignificant part of the charm of Stone's performance is how she's able to make the classic Cruella vibe her own. 

I am... not wild about a sequel, but this I think justified its existence a bit better than Maleficent, and not least because it avoided the "the villain is our protagonist... because we made everyone else evil instead". Sure, it went with "there's an even worse villain that makes this one a bit more sympathetic", but I tend to not mind when pro wrestling does that either. 

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#26 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Ballistic Knight Rises!

• Staff
  • 15290 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:56 AM

And thats the rub. This film would have been fine, if ridiculous, if it weren’t trying to BE Cruella.

fslookup.jpg

#27 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11464 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:59 AM

I liked it. The soundtrack is pretty awesome too.

#28 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

See if you can take the power of justice!

• Retired Staff
  • 2542 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:10 AM

What I liked...

They leaned into the period. "Origin" movies set in a past decade these days seem like a gimmick more than anything. "Hey it's Captain Marvel, but also the 90s! You remember Blockbuster, right?"
Here it feels justified. Turning Cruella's rise in the fashion world into this punk rock "rebellion" against older, more established competition is cool, and led to some great set pieces.

The acting. The leads all nail their parts.

The visual style/cinematography. Anything not involving Dalmatian Murder Point looked great. The movie has a very engaging visual style.

What I didn't like...

Pretty much everything else.
Emma Stone nailed what she had to work with, but what she had to work with wasn't good.

The sort of split persona thing between Estella and Cruella was a cheap ploy to wrangle some sympathy out for an utterly unsympathetic character.

"Dalmatians killed her mother" is so bad it loops around to being funny. Not good, but funny.

The "there's a worse villain to make Cruella seem better" trope was tired, and then they doubled down on it by making her Cruella's real mother.

The need to explain EVERYTHING. Cruella is a Disney villain. A Disney villain who kills puppies. You don't need to explain why that character as a surname that sounds like "devil" and lives in a place called "Hell Hall."
You don't need to explain that sort of stuff because the character is supposed to just be evil for the sake of it. Yet of course Disney decided that everything from her last name to the name of her estate to her car had to be explained. It's "who are your people?" from Solo all over again.

The whole thing is a bit of a wet fart. It's a rags to riches feel good movie about a puppy murderer that tries to skirt the puppy murder as much as it can, while also explaining how she got to be so psychotic. It tries to be equal parts Marvel origin story and Joker and it manages to split the difference by presenting as bland a story as possible.

People are talking about a sequel and 1) lol given this one's returns and 2) where would you even go? Isn't the sequel to this movie 101 Dalmatians? The two main human characters from that movie appear in this movie, so just...remake 101 Dalmatians with those actors? I donno.
I'm not sure you can do with another Cruella-centric movie. She's pretty much the fully realized Disney villain by the end of this movie, so not much room to work with in terms of trying to milk more sympathy out of her.

If Disney wanted to do their own version of Joker they failed by playing it too safe.
If Disney wanted Emma Stone on board to be a Harley Quinn-like character then surely there are better options in the depths of Disney-owned IP than a puppy murdering psychopath.

B3v0h0W.png

#29 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25636 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:54 PM

Somebody out there with wads of cash on hand is enraged that most of us have caught on to "Rich people do bad things because they're rich and entitled and think poor people deserve to be abused and exploited because of their poorness" and wants to stuff the media ecosystem full of "alas poor rich villain, weep for them. WEEP HARDER YOU SERFS" stories
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#30 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8367 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 June 2021 - 07:36 PM

People are talking about a sequel and 1) lol given this one's returns and 2) where would you even go? Isn't the sequel to this movie 101 Dalmatians? The two main human characters from that movie appear in this movie, so just...remake 101 Dalmatians with those actors? I donno.
I'm not sure you can do with another Cruella-centric movie. She's pretty much the fully realized Disney villain by the end of this movie, so not much room to work with in terms of trying to milk more sympathy out of her.

This is what I would have thought. But they were sure eager to get started.

https://variety.com/...ney-1234989209/

WsuGTl1.jpg

#31 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9948 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:54 AM

Ok, I saw it.

Honestly, I enjoyed the hex out of it. I was never that into 101 Dalmatians anyway and, like the live action Maleficents, it's an alternate take, not the same story from a different perspective. Multiverse whatever, c'mon.

The wardrobe and set pieces are absolutely gorgeous. The acting was impeccable. Jasper and Horace were actually cool and, whoa, who the hex is Artie. There's the usual stoic Strong performance from Mark (haha). And they got Nandor the Relentless! Luv it!

The story was... well... a little too much family drama trauma from a Disney movie. They even started with a woman giving birth. Like, you can see her legs, yikes. (Is there even since a thing as Disney aimed at adults? Like the wings cutting in Maleficent was coded as rape, right?). This really can't be spun as a kids movie.

Can actually reframe the plot as Star Wars with Anakin and Luke somehow, haha.

They explained the possible future craziness as something hereditary, like they were afraid Estella would turn into her mother when she got old. That's fine. It'll never go into that future anyway, since by the time Pongo and Perdita meet, Cruella would still be young.

I did pause when she had the pets skinned and displayed for all to see. They explained it, yes, but wow, I was like, she can't be redeemed in this movie. But she also had no regard for the lives of the fleet of moths she sacrificed so y'know, what's the life of insects versus puppies and all that.

Anyhow, I liked the rags to riches crime heist-y story, without or without the family twist. Young Cruella was driven and fun enough. Let her turn evil another time. Or not. Live action Maleficent probably won't anyway.

What I don't get is what the hex the sequel story will be. Where in the world did she get Pongo and Perdita from? What were her plans? What conflict could she have as a successful fashion designer and have it still include dalmatians somehow?

(I bet it's versus her sudden appearance of someone from her father's side of the family, coming to take her fortune away. Or maybe she is in competition with some rival group stealing her schtick and calling it Monochrome and they collected the dalmatians but she ends up stealing them back and folks think she's responsible and whatever, haha)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#32 Logicron

Logicron

It's Summer!

• Citizen
  • 37542 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:11 PM

The "there's a worse villain to make Cruella seem better" trope was tired, and then they doubled down on it by making her Cruella's real mother.

You can tell Disney is run by chuds because they'll never make a movie where the protagonist is a woman who fights a villain who's clearly a white male.

​“One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts behind that mask, what dreams of chronic and sustained cruelty!”

#33 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1633 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:24 PM

You can tell Disney is run by chuds because they'll never make a movie where the protagonist is a woman who fights a villain who's clearly a white male.

Maleficent. Now stop talking out of your ass.
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#34 Logicron

Logicron

It's Summer!

• Citizen
  • 37542 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:57 PM

Oh shit, sorry.

​“One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts behind that mask, what dreams of chronic and sustained cruelty!”

#35 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

See if you can take the power of justice!

• Retired Staff
  • 2542 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:13 PM

Oh shit, sorry.
Also the Star Wars sequel series. Rey was a woman and Palpatine ended up being the big bad by the end.

I get the sentiment, but I really think that you're looking for oil where there is none here.

B3v0h0W.png

#36 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1633 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:36 PM

Hell, you want to go back further animated and live action Beauty and the Beast
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#37 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:55 PM

Hell, you want to go back further animated and live action Beauty and the Beast

Erm, technically it was Beast who fought Gaston. Belle had only just arrived right before their fight ended.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#38 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11377 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:40 AM

Belle had been fighting Gaston long before Beast ever showed up. ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users