Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 February 2021 - 09:39 AM)

The US election? *rimshot*

@  Paladin : (28 February 2021 - 09:19 AM)

WHICH 2016 clown panic?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 February 2021 - 07:22 AM)

Didn't that come right after the 2016 clown panic? No way to make clowns not disturbing at the time, surely.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:26 AM)

The clown guise is supposed to lure kids in, it's no good if it looks sus in one glance.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:15 AM)

The new one tries too hard to be unsettling from the start. Curry's look is just a plain old clown, until he very much is not.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:14 AM)

And Curry has a far more disturbing look at times than the newbie.

@  Sabrblade : (28 February 2021 - 02:22 AM)

And the original was a showcase of Tim Curry's delightfulness as an actor. 'Nuff said.

@  unluckiness : (27 February 2021 - 10:19 PM)

first one was a decent horror flick but the second was a mess plotwise and even the scares were worse

@  tigerhawk : (27 February 2021 - 04:57 PM)

Never understood the hype for the IT movies, too many floppy zombie chases, They're not in the least unsettling.

@  Maruten : (25 February 2021 - 06:00 PM)

It's better than the last one!

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 February 2021 - 11:30 AM)

The new Wizards of the Coast logo looks stupid

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 February 2021 - 11:29 AM)

It's really rather shocking watching the Investor Day presentation and seeing how much Hasbro actually owns now.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 February 2021 - 10:26 AM)

If everyone had COMMON SENSE, then things would maybe go a little better-

@  repowers : (24 February 2021 - 05:33 PM)

If everyone would just have the exact same opinions as me then we wouldn't have this problem

@  Kalidor : (24 February 2021 - 01:49 PM)

It just depends on what it is. It is preferable to take it to P&R though. But sometimes current news as it's happening is less restrictive.

@  fourteenwings : (24 February 2021 - 12:18 AM)

Huh, good point (x3)

@  ▲ndrusi : (23 February 2021 - 11:46 AM)

Yeah. 1. People treat it like Twitter. 2. There's no "take it to P&R" since there's no P&R for the Shoutbox. 3. There's similarly no way to avoid either subjects or people in the Shoutbox since there's no division and it doesn't respect the ignore function, so people end up engaging when they normally wouldn't.

@  fourteenwings : (23 February 2021 - 10:56 AM)

Is there something about the Shoutbox that just means we get politics taking over the thing at least once a week?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2021 - 08:26 AM)

At least your government is willing to talk about the collapsing medicare system. In quebec, their ignoring it in favour of talking about language again! Oh, and unconstitutionally denying access to eduction.

@  Shockwave 75 : (23 February 2021 - 07:52 AM)

At least here in my home province of Ontario we have a conservative gov't who doesn't want to cuz $$$$, but the argument is that they'll end up paying in medical care anyways for those sick people so why not?

@  Shockwave 75 : (23 February 2021 - 07:51 AM)

We have paid sick leave here in Canada too, but it's not very much and not everyone has it. So we're trying to get the gov't to extend it, and give it to everyone.

@  Nevermore : (23 February 2021 - 02:23 AM)

The only reason people still go to work despite being sick is because they feel emotionally obliged to serve their employer.

@  Nevermore : (23 February 2021 - 02:20 AM)

Some people abuse the system by somehow getting sick with a different plague every five weeks.

@  Nevermore : (23 February 2021 - 02:20 AM)

Those six weeks are out of the employer's pocket by legal mandate. If you're still sick after those six weeks, the health insurance company takes over the payment.

@  Nevermore : (23 February 2021 - 02:19 AM)

That's the good thing in Germany - we have legally mandated paid sick days. Six weeks (!) for a single cause (consecutive or recurring, as long as it's the same cause; reinfections long after the fact don't count), Everytime the employee gets sick with a new cause, another six weeks start.

@  tigerhawk : (22 February 2021 - 04:48 PM)

That's how my family got sick, my brothers a teacher, he has a class for expelled students, they gave full attendance these past few lockdowns out of sheer boredom, they can turn in sick and break isolation and he nor the other staff, who also got sick, couldn't do anything about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 February 2021 - 03:03 PM)

Yeah, pretty sure the only reason people don't stay home when they're sick is that the vast majority of society lives paycheque to paycheque, and they can't afford even one missed day of work.

@  -LittleAutob... : (22 February 2021 - 11:27 AM)

That's unfortunate... I know masks can be annoying, but I think not being able to breath comfortably for a while is better than actually having the virus and not being able to breath at all. bUt Oh, pEoPLe dOn'T bELiVe ThE dAmN vIrUs Is rEaL

@  wonko the sane? : (22 February 2021 - 08:28 AM)

Hahahaha! Oh, you're serious. Yeah, no one is going to do that. Far too many are in positions where they simply cannot afford the time off, and most of the rest are the kind who won't wear the mask in a global pandemic, never mind when they alone have the sniffles.

@  Shockwave 75 : (22 February 2021 - 08:20 AM)

I just hope a take-away from this will be for people to stay home when they're sick, and if they have to go out, wear a mask so as not to spread their illness.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 February 2021 - 08:25 PM)

I think it's mostly the masking that's kept the flu season down so much, and that's unlikely to be kept up for that long. I'm sure there'll be some people who keep wearing masks for years after this, but I suspect a larger number are anticipating people able to toss them once vaccinations are complete.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2021 - 05:27 PM)

Same in canada. Doctors report it to be basically non-existant. I kinda hope they keep some stuff up after everyone is vaccinated. Like hand sanitizer at store entrances, and actually cleaning the shopping carts.

@  tigerhawk : (21 February 2021 - 05:17 PM)

On the plus side cold and flu cases are down 80% this winter thanks to lockdowns, or at least that's the case in the UK.

@  Hg Dragon : (21 February 2021 - 04:37 PM)

This is quite possibly the most miserable i have ever felt.

@  Hg Dragon : (21 February 2021 - 04:37 PM)

i'll be nice and not bypass the cupcake monkey, but COVID can *bleep* itself in the *bleeping* *bleeper* with a *bleeping* cactus.

@  tigerhawk : (21 February 2021 - 02:39 AM)

He only appeared the once in the US comics and got one follow up in the UK comic. He never suffered badass decay like Omega Supreme and the combiners.

@  Rycochet : (19 February 2021 - 05:15 PM)

Trypticon's debut issues in the marvel comic were the absolute best 'To sell a toy' comics of the book.

@  tigerhawk : (19 February 2021 - 03:04 AM)

Then the audience goes "This was a stealth Transformers film wannit!"

@  tigerhawk : (19 February 2021 - 03:03 AM)

Godzilla vs Trypticon, co written by Christina Hobson and Max Borenstein.

@  Bass X0 : (19 February 2021 - 01:36 AM)

I now want G1 Grimlock to transform into Mecha Godzilla.

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2021 - 04:23 PM)

I preferred Rush when Midway made it.

@  Bass X0 : (17 February 2021 - 03:13 PM)

The best Rush comes from Canada.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 February 2021 - 02:54 PM)

In *other* wonderful and fantastic news, guess whose Kingdom Cheetor and Paleotrex FINALLY arrived today?

@  Bass X0 : (16 February 2021 - 03:07 PM)

yeah, its a good show. watch as much as you can.

@  tigerhawk : (16 February 2021 - 04:58 AM)

Goodnight Sweethearts turned out to be a gem, I only knew Nicholas Lyndhurst in Only Fools and Horses but never saw this show before.

@  Bass X0 : (15 February 2021 - 04:07 PM)

Then we got Ultra Magnus, Fortress Maximus, Dai Atlas, Megatron, Galvatron, Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp and Banzai-Tron in Alternity...

@  Sabrblade : (15 February 2021 - 12:04 PM)

Heh, that new Binaltech comic that Ichikawa wrote for one of the Japanese Generations books even had the other Dinobots make fun of Grimlock for his "Autobot Car" body.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 February 2021 - 12:03 PM)

They got that rescue bot grimlock that turns into a motorcycle. That's... pretty neat...

@  Otaku : (15 February 2021 - 11:35 AM)

Just to make Grimlock feel more "wrong", they even highlight how his character just seems ill-suited for a sports car alternate mode in his own backstory.  Hindsight is 20/20, so I now wish they'd made a T-rex that transformed into a sportscar.  Still probably would have been as much or more of a pain to transform, but at least it'd feel more like Grimlock. :D

@  Rycochet : (13 February 2021 - 04:39 PM)

Some Alternators were fine, then you have Grimlock/Wheeljack, with three transformers worth of fiddly and a giant buttflap.

Photo
- - - - -

New TV time

31 replies to this topic

#1 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14673 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:44 PM

So my Sharp 50 inch Roku TV died on me.  Something happened where the screen no longer lights up.  Everything else works, but you just don't get a picture anymore.  And no one repairs TVs anymore, at least around here.  

So I'm in the market for a new TV.  

Might as well do a bit of upgrading while I'm here, I mean, why not?  

Looking for no bigger than a 65 inch while wanting HD for gaming.  

I found this and it looks decent.  

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6402399

Looking for thoughts and opinions.  What TVs do you all have, what would you recommend?  

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#2 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49263 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:50 PM

I personally like Vizio. I've had the same TV for over ten years with no issues. Granted it doesn't get used for anything but movies now-a-days, but still. Can't complain about the brand.

#3 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3409 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 01:05 AM

Funny I came here to say never buy a Vizio. Ours has a terrible audio issue that Ill have to make a video of tomorrow to show what I mean.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#4 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 9285 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 01:33 AM

ive had this one for a few months now, and its pretty good. first thing i popped in to see what it can do was the bluray of rise of skywalker. kylos saber popped SO BEAUTIFULLY, even though it was a standard bluray

https://www.walmart....5R6E1/988564886

only "trouble" ive had is that every so often (but not very often), the picture size does some kind of auto change for a brief second or 2. i dont even know if its the tv or the discs or even the player, hence the "".

plus it has tng and tos wallpaper and screensavers  :thumbsup

oh, and it sometimes has these cute sayings when its looking for an input signal. my favorite is when it says "hamster wheel engaged"

Edited by Telly, 18 January 2021 - 01:38 AM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#5 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 68584 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:50 AM

This is what I have and I love it. https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6256848

There are never versions out there as mine is a 2019 or 2018 version.

ACItEK8.png

#6 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11357 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:52 AM

I found this and it looks decent.  
https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6402399

Looking for thoughts and opinions.  What TVs do you all have, what would you recommend?  

I own this one, got a sweet deal on it a few months back, and it is glorious

#7 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44465 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:34 AM

All I have to say is: if you're buying a "smart" TV, then be careful to pay attention to which smart system it uses. While some of the company brands aren't bad for options and feature when compared to a roku, some of them are downright bad. My father bought an LG a few years back, and we wound up getting him a roku stick to plug into it because the LG smartos was so hugging pathetic. It couldn't run tubi. I mean, FFS.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#8 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 41190 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:31 AM

Let me rephrase what Wonko said. Get a smart TV with a Roku built in. Otherwise, you won't have the latest and greatest streaming apps, as ohter companies tend to not update theirs as to incentivize you to get a new one. 

I would highly recomend the TCL brand.

For $40 more than what you posted, here is a 75" 

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6319339

And here are some of the 65" models ranging from $569- $1170 depending on how new you want them and the features they have:

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6373216

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6424216

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6377895

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#9 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15624 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:33 PM

I have a Roku box plugged into my 7yr-ish old TV that works just fine, they do update the apps for it. Disney+ is pretty recent and it works.

#10 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14673 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 01:31 PM

All my TVs have been Roku TVs or have a box on them.  It is my preferred streaming interface.  

I'll be honest, I hadn't heard good things about TCL and was actively avoiding them.  Are they really that good?  

This one does look nice and has a better price than the Samsungs I have been looking at.  

I'm just not sure what the major differences are, outside the name brands.  

Edited by Rhinox, 18 January 2021 - 01:35 PM.

#11 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Administrator
  • 41190 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

I have a Roku box plugged into my 7yr-ish old TV that works just fine, they do update the apps for it. Disney+ is pretty recent and it works.

I have a 42" 1080p Sharp LCD that I got in spring 2007. This past spring I got a Roku Soundbar, and it controls the tv and makes it an awesome tv again. 

#12 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Administrator
  • 41190 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:21 PM

All my TVs have been Roku TVs or have a box on them.  It is my preferred streaming interface.  

I'll be honest, I hadn't heard good things about TCL and was actively avoiding them.  Are they really that good?  

This one does look nice and has a better price than the Samsungs I have been looking at.  

I'm just not sure what the major differences are, outside the name brands.  

I have bought two of them in the past two years for my mom, and we have had nothing but joy from them. They are pretty nice, and the built in Roku is a tight OS! 

The TCL has much better HDR, as it has HDR10 and Dolby Vision, where as the Samsung only has HR10. Dolby Vision is the much superior version. 

#13 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14673 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

. . . . and I just found out that I am now Covid Postive, so it's become way more important to me that I get a TV before I go out of my damn mind at home with nothing to do.  

shit shit shit.  

I get paid on Thursday/Friday.  Might just see about that TCL then.  

#14 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60765 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

In 2007 I was super excited to buy my first ever "big ticket" item in my life. It was a 37 inch Sharp TV flatscreen (that only went to max 720p). It lasted years and years and years and by 2018 I woke up every day and said "please break. Please don't turn on so I can have an excuse to get a new tv!"

And it never did so by Christmas of that year we just said "eff it" and got a 68 inch LG TV. Which is okay, but honestly I still think the Sharp has a few features that even this new TV doesn't have. Minor ones, but still.

Now that Sharp is in the basement that's connect to the "other" console that nobody uses. 

I guess the moral of the story is, if you want quality, and money isn't an issue, Sharp seems to do pretty well. 

#15 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Administrator
  • 41190 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

. . . . and I just found out that I am now Covid Postive, so it's become way more important to me that I get a TV before I go out of my damn mind at home with nothing to do.  

shit shit shit.  

I get paid on Thursday/Friday.  Might just see about that TCL then.  

Sorry to hear that you are positive. I went through it myself in December and it was rough! I hope that you do better than I did. 

I am sure that you will love your TCL for many years to come. 

#16 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14673 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:42 PM

In 2007 I was super excited to buy my first ever "big ticket" item in my life. It was a 37 inch Sharp TV flatscreen (that only went to max 720p). It lasted years and years and years and by 2018 I woke up every day and said "please break. Please don't turn on so I can have an excuse to get a new tv!"

And it never did so by Christmas of that year we just said "eff it" and got a 68 inch LG TV. Which is okay, but honestly I still think the Sharp has a few features that even this new TV doesn't have. Minor ones, but still.

Now that Sharp is in the basement that's connect to the "other" console that nobody uses. 

I guess the moral of the story is, if you want quality, and money isn't an issue, Sharp seems to do pretty well. 

Thats why I bought my Sharp.  I thought it'd last forever.  I was wrong.  :-/

#17 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Administrator
  • 41190 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:51 PM

My Sharp has lasted 14 years of heavy use. Its been a trooper, but when it goes, it is going to get replaced by nice OLED that I can keep my kids off of. 

#18 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15624 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:52 PM

*Checks* mine's a Toshiba. TMM and I got it as part of a furniture deal. Buy a large couch, get 3 glass coffee/side tables, a TV and an X-box. The TV's holding up better than the couch is.

#19 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 68584 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:55 PM

My "old" 65" 3D Samsung has been kicking for about 13 years no issue. It is now in the master bedroom since I replaced it with a 4K LG about two years ago.

ACItEK8.png

#20 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14673 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:05 AM

best buy apparently just sold out all their TCL miniQled tvs.  lovely timing.  

Found a 55 inch on Walmart for 200 less, though.  May just end up with that one and save some money for the soundbar. . . . .

https://www.walmart....5R635/796005169

Edited by Rhinox, 19 January 2021 - 11:10 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users