Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

Photo
- - - - -

First Impressions of Armada Toys from 2002

126 replies to this topic

#21 Sciflyer

Sciflyer

Tomorrow's Harvest

• Citizen
  • 3861 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:44 AM

Wow, this certainly was a trip down memory lane!  Thanks for posting, Kal.

#22 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 12114 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:37 AM

I'm pretty sure I was around for this, but didn't participate in the thread because I saw it turning into a flame war.

We've really mellowed over the years, haven't we?

#23 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27991 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:00 AM

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yes I know it's broken. It's an HTTPS thing and I haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet.

#24 tec

tec

Suit up

• Supporter
  • 33935 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:07 AM

Guys don't make me start pulling out Armada TFs and displaying them I don't have the room

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#25 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:27 AM

Armada was a line that I had wanted to collect more of but only managed to get a small amount of figures because, at the time, I was entering my teen years and my parents started going through their "You are too old for toys and cartoons! Grow up!" phase.

It's said that teenagers are the ones who try to act "mature" and "grownup" and want to discard everything "childish" from themselves, but I was one of those teens who was the opposite. I didn't want to "grow up", I wanted to stay a kid and keep enjoying what I liked. Needless to say, being a cartoon-watching toy collector in my teens was some of the hardest years of my life, emotionally-speaking. In order to get what little Unicron Trilogy toys I got at the time, I had to fight tooth and nail against everyone around me telling me give up what I liked because it was somehow wrong for my age. Toys and cartoons were considered "bad", and yet somehow video games and movies full of gore and gun-violence were acceptable. :rolleyes

Anyway, the few Armada toys I was able to get back then were:

• Land Military Mini-Con Team
  • Race Mini-Con Team
  • Space Mini-Con Team
  • Air Assault Mini-Con Team
  • Sideways
  • Blurr
  • Thundercracker (whom I treated as Starscream because of his blue upgrade in the show)
  • Overload
  • Megatron
  • Jetfire
  • Super-Base Optimus Prime
  • Unicron

The Mini-Cons were what I expected them to be, small figures with varying degrees of articulation. I enjoyed them for the most part, but the ones that became weapons were the ones I wanted the most, after seeing how special they were in the cartoon.

Blurr and Sideways were my only Super-Cons and, while I did wish they had knees (and elbows in Sideways's case), I still liked them. I thought both were cool in the cartoon and liked their Mini-Con gimmicks a lot. I never got any other Super-Cons back then and wasn't browsing Internet forums yet, so I never knew how divisive the Hot Shot toy was (more on this later).

I'll admit, I did think Thundercracker was a little odd looking in vehicle mode with his arms sticking out and especially his nosecone tilted downward a bit. And I definitely wished that his arms in robot mode could strike better poses with his sword. His shoulders and elbows were just so limited. Ironically, though, Overload had even less articulation but that didn't bother me as much. I guess I maybe just saw him as a suit for his Mini-Con Rollout to pilot and didn't actually think of him as his own person, so I guess his lack of knees and elbows didn't stand out to me as a bad thing. Though, I could never really get his cannon mode to attach to Optimus's back properly, It would sit back there in place but never actually locked into whatever tabs were supposed to secure it back there.

Megatron I definitely thought both looked cool and needed more articulation. He looked imposing and impressive, but the way he was built felt like so much of his movement was limited. Imagine how awesome his design would have been if he could strike some really dynamic poses that showed off so much more of his molded detail in combat scenes. Conversely, Jetfire had plenty of articulation for me, but his torso tended to come apart all the time due to the doors on his back barely holding him together. I didn't question the weirdness of his forming a pair of pants for Optimus, I just rolled with it. But of course, I did also still wish that the legs of the combined form could do more than just stand at attention.

Super-Base Optimus was a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, he was an action figure who came with his own playset that he could combine with to form a towering giant that was a total powerhouse. He looked big and imposing and impressive. On the other hand, his trailer's legs were static and stationary. His standard robot mode could never lower its shoulders to the same extent as seen on both the cartoon model and the Super-Con figure. And worst of all for me, the auto-transforming gimmick of his trailer NEVER worked. Oh, but it did on occasion, only when I wasn't playing with it did the trailer suddenly decide to have a mind of its own and transform without my involvement. All other times I had to manually transform the thing myself, listening to those gears clang loudly every time I did, making me wonder each time if transforming it myself was a bad idea. I also didn't like the big empty cavity on the back of his super mode torso. Sure, the trailer bits that stuck up that high kinda hid it, and Overload could just slot right in there to fill it, but when combined with Jetifre and not Overload, it was there and very noticeable (I wasn't displaying my figures back then, so every angle of each toy mattered to me when I was playing with them).

Unicron... What can I really say about him that hasn't already been said over the years? That was and still is a wonderful toy. Transforming the rings and shells while trying to keep them from popping off can be frustrating, but other than that I have zero complaints with him. I don't even mind the lack of roundness in his planet mode. If anything, my recent experience with a certain third party figure has made me appreciate the way Armada Unicron transforms even more than I did before. My only real regret is that I missed out on also getting the black redeco from Energon.

With all that said, I did manage to get a few other Armada toys in the years after the line's end.

Some time after BotCon 2014, I purchased a small lot of Armada toys from eBay that contained loose versions of Tidal Wave, the Sea Mini-Con Team, and the Takara version of Hot Shot. This was my first exposure to all three of these molds.

Tidal Wave's pretty decent. Like many have said over the years, he just needs some knees and head movement and he'd be perfect.

The Sea Mini-Con Team is also alright. More of the same kind of stuff I expect from Mini-Cons.

Hot Shot... Oh boy, Hot Shot. I honestly had NO idea that he was built the way he is. Transforming him from car mode to robot mode for the first time came as quite a shock to me. No online pics of his robot mode that I had seen in all my years ever did his robot mode justice. Needless to say, I was greatly disappointed with his robot mode torso and arms. His legs were fine, and I really dig his car mode. But he only has half a head and feels very lacking overall, Axle-zooka or not. While I never got the Universe toy, I did get the BotCon 2010 Dion redeco and, yes, that mold is very kibbly and can be frustrating at times, I still like that it at least has full arms and a full head that have the freedom to be their own full body parts instead of half-doing it like the original.

Oh, and the light-up fist that the Japanese Hot Shot is supposed to have... doesn't work on mine. :doh

I also managed to find the Takara version of Thrust at a local comic book shop that moved away some years back. Egad, I was not expecting Thrust to be as bad is he is. Elbows connected right to his shoulders, making for some very stubby arms (I knew about his thruster hands beforehand, so that part wasn't an issue). A large amount of jet kibble that hangs all the way down his back. A weird spinning gimmick for his wings that's more inhibiting than anything. And his jet mode has a big gaping cavity near its back that's for his Mini-Con to attach to, which makes his jet mode look incomplete without his Mini-Con. Not to mention the missiles on his legs getting in the way of everything.

Oh, and I also got to experience the Cybertron Longrack retool of Armada Hoist when I got the BotCon 2006 Dinobot toy just a few years ago. It's fine. A decent Super-Con mold. The shovel gimmick works well enough and he's got all the articulation he needs.

And I got the Megatron mold again when, not too long ago, I found an OTFCC 2004 Megazarak on eBay. Same thought about the original with this figure, though the new colors are nice on their own.

So, yeah. That's my history with the Armada line.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#26 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17613 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:47 AM

In retrospect, I strongly suspect Armada represented getting an entirely new design team off the ground.  The toys had little connection to previous Transformers designs, and an ambitious mandate to include action gimmicks (including sound and light in the larger toys, even motion).  They were also trying to revive the Micromasters concept but give it something resembling the articulation fans had come to expect from their Transformers.  So...steep learning curve, and a lot of ambitious gimmicks that required a brick-like robot mode (looking at you, Scavenger).  Still, after a year or so of shellformers and retools from G1 and Beast Wars, they were at least interesting.  AEC was all about the line-wide intrusive gimmick (Mini-Cons, then Everyone Combines, then Cyber Keys), which always makes it hard to preserve both aesthetics and articulation.  (Cyberverse seems to have been a case of, "We can make it work this time, but on a smaller effective budget!" and they were WRONG, even though they didn't shackle themselves to a common element.)

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#27 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14693 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:55 AM

I remember that thread.  And subsequent ones.  I missed that train wreck, but I know I participated in others.  

While the big toys weren't my thing, I've always been an articulation nut, I did greatly enjoy the minicons.  Still do.  

I have most of the toys still.  All packed away.  The characters were interesting, but Demolisher and Tidal Wave remain the sole bright spots for me toy wise.  

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#28 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 19392 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:34 PM

I would give anything for a line like Armada again.

#29 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60898 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:25 PM

Page 5's link was missing in the OP, so here it is:

https://www.allspark...line page 5.htm

Makes reading Page 6 a little easier.

Oops

#30 ZacDeath

ZacDeath

I am not dead, I'm overwintering.

• Citizen
  • 1160 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:43 PM

That was a lot of fun to read. I remember those days, but I think it was before I was a member. I was a lurker for a long time. I was definitely part of the Armada hate club.
WWOPD?

#31 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6442 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 06 December 2020 - 07:52 PM

Cyclonus and Demolishor are still two of my favorite figures.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#32 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11466 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:24 PM

I remember being completely obsessed with Armada sideways because of the double headmaster minicon

#33 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.

• Supporter
  • 5416 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:13 PM

I'm surprised I wasn't in there.
Also, wow, lots of names you just don't see on the boards anymore.
"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#34 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60898 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:50 PM

Well, one name for sure has sadly passed away. I didn't post in there either which is why it's odd that I saved it. 

#35 Stepwise

Stepwise
  • Citizen
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:04 AM

Thanks for posting these. I wasn't around for this, I think my news all came from Dvandom's page, Ben Yee's page, and possibly the front page of Tformers...? Maybe? (It's been 20ish years with a lot of change, and part of that I'm okay with forgetting!) Getting into the forums here a few years later was my first real interactive experience with the fandom since fading out of ATT late in college.

#36 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 7450 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:53 AM

I find it hilarious how the conversation in the thread was all heated about Hot Shot, and yet not a word about Sideswipe. They remolded Hot Shot's face for the Powerlinx recolor, but there's no fixing what's wrong with Sideswipe.

In need of BW Bonecrusher's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#37 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60898 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:29 AM

He wasn't in that initial wave. I don't think he came out until 2003

#38 Robogeek1973

Robogeek1973
  • Retired Staff
  • 15695 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:30 AM

Dang. I'd joined only a few months before, but I guess I didn't participate in that thread.

I guess that tracks; as I recall, we were in a rougher spot at the time, and I wasn't able to start collecting Armada much until towards the end of the line/the beginning of Energon.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Yeah, I was around as well but never posted much.

#39 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:25 AM

I find it hilarious how the conversation in the thread was all heated about Hot Shot, and yet not a word about Sideswipe. They remolded Hot Shot's face for the Powerlinx recolor, but there's no fixing what's wrong with Sideswipe.

He wasn't in that initial wave. I don't think he came out until 2003

Yeah, no one at the time of that thread knew what Side Swipe was going to be like, or even knew about him at all, it seems. The latest-released Super-Cons that are mentioned in that thread are Blurr and Optimus, which were in Wave 3. Side Swipe didn't come until Wave 4

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#40 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12767 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:00 PM

I'm pretty sure I was around for this, but didn't participate in the thread because I saw it turning into a flame war.

We've really mellowed over the years, haven't we?

Ultimately the "stakes" are much lower now. Armada was (at least until Alternators happened) all the Transformers available, and if you though it was terrible there was nothing else to do except hope Hasbro changed course.

Nowadays if you hated the aesthetic/parts budget of Cyberverse for example, who cares? There's like another four lines you can buy instead and a million third party toys.

Edited by The Phazer, 07 December 2020 - 02:30 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users