Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

Photo
- - - - -

First Impressions of Armada Toys from 2002

126 replies to this topic

#1 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60898 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 December 2020 - 06:42 PM

As promised, here is the lone bit of record I have of the forums prior to the 2006 hack. There are no images and none of the pages links work so you'll have to click on them below for them to load. Enjoy this blast from the past!

https://www.allspark.com/armada/iBTopicMy%20first%20impressions%20of%20the%20Armada%20toyline%20page%201.htm
https://www.allspark.com/armada/iBTopicMy%20first%20impressions%20of%20the%20Armada%20toyline%20page%202.htm
https://www.allspark.com/armada/iBTopicMy%20first%20impressions%20of%20the%20Armada%20toyline%20page%203.htm
https://www.allspark.com/armada/iBTopicMy%20first%20impressions%20of%20the%20Armada%20toyline%20page%204.htm
https://www.allspark.com/armada/iBTopicMy%20first%20impressions%20of%20the%20Armada%20toyline%20page%205.htm
https://www.allspark.com/armada/iBTopicMy%20first%20impressions%20of%20the%20Armada%20toyline%20page%206.htm
https://www.allspark.com/armada/iBTopicMy%20first%20impressions%20of%20the%20Armada%20toyline%20page%207.htm

#2 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17613 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:02 PM

I do not appear to have participated in the thread, ah well.  My impressions of Armada remain accessible, of course.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#3 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 19392 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:08 PM

Is it possible for something that happened eighteen years ago to count as "predictable"?

#4 Hot Spot

Hot Spot

Your future's in an oblong box

• Citizen
  • 600 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:11 PM

My 17 year old self did not believe in capitalization, apparently.

#5 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5704 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:21 PM

My 17 year old self did not believe in capitalization, apparently.

Can confirm: You totally didn't. 

#6 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

The 8th Prime, clearly

• Citizen
  • 11168 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:22 PM

This is very interesting for me as this is just a few months before I got into the fandom. I started college in August of 2002 (I watched TFTM for the first time since childhood that summer) and by Feb 2003 Armada Starscream had sunk his claws in me. I had Blurr, Jetfire and Supercon Optimus by spring break and all of the Unicron Battles stuff that summer and fall sealed the deal.

#7 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4677 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:47 PM

Armada, that takes me back, I wasn't seriously collecting back then, I had a few figures but not much else left over from G1, Armada OP was my first Optimus prime that I bought and owned, still have him but somehow, his arm joint for basic robot mode broke, I think it might of been from the times I put Overload on his back, around that time I started getting into TF comics and picked up the first issue of the Armeican TF armada comic and became hooked, sure sometime later the UK got a comic but that is pretty much inferior as it seems to be written with the idea of kids being idiots in mind and unable to follow a plot beyond a single issue or unable to get a hold of other issues! Armada as TV was the third TF show that I saw whole, the first was Beast Machines and then RID (or RID2001 as we refer to it today, back then it was just RID), it was later that I saw all of G1 on DVD, since I never knew when it was on TV as a kid and didn't really grasp the conspect of time. Those were intersting times for me in regards to TF as I never truly realised that Beast Wars was Transformers and thought it kind of a knock off, so good times!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#8 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 7450 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:15 PM

This would be just before my time as well. Armada Unicron is what got me seriously back into Transformers after my post-childhood hiatus.

In need of BW Bonecrusher's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#9 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 8175 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:35 PM

Being born in 1980, I grew up on transformers. Then when I got “to old” and transformers was no longer on TV, I kinda stopped paying attention and just played with the few figures I had. Fast forward to Armada. I was sick and laying on the couch, found a Transformers Armada cartoon marathon on Cartoon Network and decided to watch that and fell in love. Between the G1 TRU reissues and this new Armada show, I was back into Transformers.

Jetfire still ranks in my top 5 all time favorite Transformers. Jet Optimus + Overload is an amazing combo (better in the show than toy). I like the mini cons, a fresh take on the micromasters. Aside from animation errors in the show this ranks as my favorite, even above G1. Usually I start at Tactician (When Thrust shows up) and watch till the end.

#10 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 9326 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:51 PM

I didn't even really notice much about Transformers toys until I saw the first pictures of Alternators and saw the wall of Unicron for $25 in KB Toys.  

#11 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17469 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:53 PM

I wrote so many long, detailed, heartfelt posts about Transformers back when I was unemployed and living back with my parents again after 9/11.

#12 tec

tec

Suit up

• Supporter
  • 33935 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:29 PM

I waited all night long for Wal-Mart to unpack the first wave stuff I have fond memories of Armada

I was even given some of the Armada pop material from Walmart that I still have

Red Alert woo woo

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#13 Xero Prime

Xero Prime

its like drinking a My Little Pony

• Citizen
  • 1120 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:30 PM

I miss those guys

#14 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49670 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:36 PM

This would be just before my time as well. Armada Unicron is what got me seriously back into Transformers after my post-childhood hiatus.

Same. That said, I recognize every single poster in that thread and holy crap did that take me back to simpler, halcyon days.

#15 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32562 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:13 AM

Page 5's link was missing in the OP, so here it is:

https://www.allspark...line page 5.htm

Makes reading Page 6 a little easier.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#16 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22364 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:43 AM

I still love my Hot Shot that I bought around that time.

I haven't seen my old username in ages. Jesus.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#17 Megaplexia Prime

Megaplexia Prime

With a lactating basilisk and a K-sized Sharoda!

• Citizen
  • 4722 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:40 AM

Before Armada toys came out, they looked.... decent, and I was willing to give them a shot. When I got them in-hand, I thought they were utter shite. Now, looking back, remembering all the lines we’ve had before and since, I can definitively say: they were, are, and will always be, utter shite.

Judge me when you're happy with your life.

#18 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 9820 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:26 AM

I miss the more substantial amounts of plastic, the willingness to have gimmicks (disk firing, missile firing, lights, sounds, etc), but I got into the franchise with Beast Wars and those had all those gimmicks AND articulation and less-dorky looking robots, but there was potential

Comparing a Mini-Con to a current Micromaster is just sad though

Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#19 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 778 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:34 AM

Armada was rough. And kinda killed my interest in Transformers for a while

Coming off of the complex transformations and spectacular articulation of the beast wars/machines and rid toys and going into big bricky toys, hampered by gimmickry didn't help.

Also, I didn't have cable, so the cartoon moving to Cartoon Network also hurt my interest in the line. No exposure to the fiction meant no attachment to the characters.

I got most of the first wave as Xmas gifts that year. But that was the last year my old fashioned family bought me "toys for a grown ass man" and me not having a job to buy them myself, well why go out my way to spend what little money I could scrape together on stuff that didn't impress me anymore.

Wouldn't be until I saw a 2007 movie deluxe Barricade at a grocery store that I realized that Transformers had gone back to the level of quality I loved in the late 90s.

Edited by SG Roadbuster, 06 December 2020 - 08:25 AM.

#20 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19242 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:22 AM

Dang. I'd joined only a few months before, but I guess I didn't participate in that thread.

I guess that tracks; as I recall, we were in a rougher spot at the time, and I wasn't able to start collecting Armada much until towards the end of the line/the beginning of Energon.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users