Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

Photo
- - - - -

IDW Beast Wars Comic Revealed!

113 replies to this topic

#61 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 5501 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:02 AM

I think most of my trepidation remains in the core concept of the series:

That Beast Wars is seemingly forever linked to time travel and fussing with G1.  I’m disappointed that all the brief peaks we saw in the cartoon series concerning the nature of Pax Cybertronia are being sidelined in favor of a story concept this franchise segment seems incapable of escaping.

I would LOVE to see a series explore the world/galaxy that the Maximals and Predacons exist in.  What kind of environment exists that the Maximals are still sending out scientific ships while in a Cold War with the Predacons?  Why would the Maximal Command burden an inexperienced starship captain with trying to dispose of something as dangerous as Protoform X?  What IS the legacy of the Autobots and Decepticons?  We’ve never really seen the classic G1 stuff approached in terms of its legacy (as we tend to talk about the Civil or Revolutionary Wars), aside from some brief stuff in the Ironhide mini series.

Some of the best G1 fiction came about BECAUSE they were willing to step away from the traditional narrative of “Autobots vs Decepticons on Earth”. I’m hoping Beast Wars is given the same chance.

#62 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 15072 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:54 AM

I actually would prefer for any new BW to just stay away from any of the old backstory beats and just worldbuild away from it. Although just seeing more of the culture that led to such circumstances and choices, rather than continuing to fill in those backstory bits, is fine.

Give us a similar far-future setting, name-drop a bunch of past events or concepts, but largely leave it at that. Tell the story forward.

I don't know how I feel about new characters this soon for Beast Wars, a series that had tons of unused characters. I'm all for expanding the mythos, but there are so many here that could have used a proper turn in the limelight.

Then again, in their last go-around with BW, IDW did kind of leave a sour taste as far as the use of those existing characters, so idunno.

Edited by lastmaximal, 15 January 2021 - 06:57 AM.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#63 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32558 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:00 PM

Don't get me wrong, guys, I loved Beast Wars: Uprising for how unique and different it was from the traditional Beast Wars setup.

But, apparently, a lot of fans out there discarded it as being "too different" and considered it "not Beast Wars" because it never saw the Optimus Primal-led Maximals and Megatron-led Predacons end up on Earth (prehistoric or otherwise) to wage their private little war against each other for the fate of their race's future.

The sad truth is, to many fans, Beast Wars needs to have the prehistoric Earth setting in order to be "Beast Wars".

I disagree with that notion, but IDW seems to believe it too, so what can ya do?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#64 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:00 PM

Personally, I'm still waiting to see what the "hook" is, here.

Are the Vok going to be more involved from the beginning?  Can humans time travel, too, and there's a human crew in prehistoric Earth fighting both Maximals and Predacons, trying to stop them from messing up their future?  Is Primal going to get sidelined in the first issue, and Cheetor or someone has to take up the leadership role instead?  Does Primal Prime show up in the first issue leading to completely crazy time traveling multiversal hijinks?  Do the Maximals and Predacons have to actually work together to survive this time around?  Are the G1 Dinobots awake this time and basically a third faction?

Look, I just want it to be a little more than "Beast Wars again...only with two new characters this time".  I know they described this as the "Ultimate comics" versions of Beast Wars, which implies mostly being the same thing, but with little changes here and there, but it'd be more interesting to me if it's a little more different.

I'll definitely be checking the first issue out regardless.  I want to see what they've got.  But...the current ongoing G1 book has me worried Hasbro wants to play things a little too safe for my liking.  As it stand, my guess is the first issue probably ends with a really predictable cliffhanger, like the Axalon and Darksyde careening into Earth's atmosphere.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 15 January 2021 - 05:16 PM.

#65 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10929 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:33 PM

I would have still liked to have seen a Beast Wars story that completely threw out all but the most basic parts of the premise (alien robots what transform into animals) and try to build up something new,kind of like how IDW1 completely dropped the ark/4 million years sleep idea.

Honestly, I'd like them to go further. No autobots/decepticons, Megs and Primal are just Megs and Primal, not descendents or namesakes. And no time travel. If they wind up on prehistoric earth, it's because prehistoric earth is contemporary to the current maximal/predacon storyline.

Maybe for the 35th anniversary.

MSzBav1.jpg

#66 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 9326 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:47 PM

T-Rex guy declaring his name is now Megatron is the "one shall stand" of Beast Wars fiction.

Edited by Blot, 15 January 2021 - 05:48 PM.

#67 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10929 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:56 PM

T-Rex guy declaring his name is now Megatron is the "one shall stand" of Beast Wars fiction.

How many times has that actually happened in fiction?  Like, he's already Megatron in the original cartoon, and there's no flashbacks.

Wait, that can't be right... Are there really no cybertron flashbacks in Beast Wars...  

MSzBav1.jpg

#68 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 2394 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:04 PM

The closest thing I recall is when Cheetor has the LSD dream of Cybertron, and maybe when Starscream's ghost shows up.

#69 Corgis Pal

Corgis Pal

I don't need a rationale to sing The Internationale

• Supporter
  • 6839 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:30 PM

LED dream, surely.

#70 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3622 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:16 PM

Uprising had a whole thing about Megatron dramatically taking the name for himself, too. I'd say it's less "one shall stand" and more "Unicron is EARTH!"

#71 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32558 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:31 AM

How many times has that actually happened in fiction?  Like, he's already Megatron in the original cartoon, and there's no flashbacks.

Let's see, his taking the name "Megatron" was seen in....

1. Dreamwave's MTMTE profile books
  2. Beast Wars: Uprising's "Identity Politics"
  3. IDW's "Dawn of the Predacus"

I think that's it. He was already named "Megatron" at the beginning of both "Theft of the Golden Disk" and "Dawn of Future's Past", and I don't think there's anything else that features a pre-beast Megatron.

Wait, that can't be right... Are there really no cybertron flashbacks in Beast Wars...

In addition to the aforementioned dream of Cheetor's, there was a scene from Dinobot's imagination of Megatron attacking Cybertron with his stolen spaceship in "Law of the Jungle", a glimpse of Cybertron at the beginning of "The Probe", and the flashback to Protoform X's capture in "Bad Spark".

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#72 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10929 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:58 AM

That's more than I would have expected, honestly.

MSzBav1.jpg

#73 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 19392 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:12 AM

Of all of those, only the Protoform X one is actually a flashback to something that actually happened. The rest are either imaginary or not flashbacks, including Starscream's death by Unicron.

• Kil likes this

#74 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 1944 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:56 PM

0EymDRF.jpg
WZtNB17.jpg
600x0w.jpg

#75 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18614 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:08 PM

Can

not

Wait.

-ZacWilliam, yay BW.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#76 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10929 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:47 PM

That looks like Beast Wars: Animated.

I'm game.

MSzBav1.jpg

#77 Unit Eleven

Unit Eleven

y'all'dn't've

• Citizen
  • 1152 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:01 PM

"Galavar", huh?

Under-3! May just have had under 3 pages alive!

On rare occasions, I have something to say.

#78 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 5501 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:35 PM

"Galavar", huh?

Under-3! May just have had under 3 pages alive!

I was thinking more LioJunior myself.

#79 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32558 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:44 AM

In this version, it seems like Megatron's Golden Disk theft was more of a coordinated effort supported by the Tripredacus Council rather than a completely rogue operation.

#80 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10929 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:05 AM

In this version, it seems like Megatron's Golden Disk theft was more of a coordinated effort supported by the Tripredacus Council rather than a completely rogue operation.

I got the sense that Megatron ozymandus'd it and was telling the council about his plan at the same time his goons were implementing it.

MSzBav1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users