Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

@  Kaon : (12 June 2021 - 08:03 PM)

man this chat is nothing but Bass X)

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 07:08 PM)

Carefull, he is a Bass Xo.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 June 2021 - 05:53 PM)

Aw, it's not even a shiny.

@  Sabrblade : (12 June 2021 - 05:27 PM)

A wild Bass X0 has appeared!

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 05:20 PM)

I didn't even try this time.

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass XÖ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

Photo
- - - - -

CW's "The Powerpuff Girls"

69 replies to this topic

#41 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3617 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:32 PM

I just keep thinking...

rDATcVv.gif

Live action's gonna ruin that gag where it turns out the PPG literally don't have fingers.

#42 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15922 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:36 PM

Probably not gonna happen, but imagine if they still had the sock hands.

Unless the trailers really wow me, I highly doubt I'm going to watch this show. The old PPG cartoon itself was fun but I don't care enough to get riled up about it.

Edit: you beat me to it, Noidea!

Edited by MEDdMI, 26 August 2020 - 10:37 PM.

#43 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2654 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:03 AM

Were the girls ever actually said to be identical other than their hair color & styles?"

I think you mean they were identical aside from their hair color and styles. I know that a few of the toys and merchandise had slight variations in skin tone between the three, but they were all still the same generally.

nowhere in the series were they ever referred to as triplets

They are sisters born of the same science cauldron at the exact same time who are palette swaps of one another, if that's not the cartoon definition triplets then I don't know what is.

Politicians of the 90s weren't as harmful as politicians today.

"Harmful" is a strong, vague word. Either way, I don't agree with this assessment, but this thread isn't about that.

It could call for a different kind of parody.

One based in nihilism or just outright cynicism, which isn't fun. However, considering the tone I'm expecting from this show, at least it'll fit.

I really don't see a reason to assume that all of them would be straight

The first Rowdyruff Boys episode? The one where they all became teenagers? That time Buttercup had a crush on some random guy? Plus, it was a children's cartoon from before 2010, practically nobody was anything not straight.

In fact, it seems this whole new premise is only a few years off from what Buttercup described in this clipshow sequence.

as long as it's well-written there should be no issue

Well, I don't really care what sexuality they end up as, but it'll sure be different from how they were originally portrayed (which for me was a given anyways in most aspects with this re-imagining). I was just pointing out that as it's the CW (like Freeform) a lesbian character is practically a requirement in their female-led shows (and most of their other shows).

Edited by fourteenwings, 27 August 2020 - 01:07 AM.

Fortune favors the bold

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#44 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11019 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:25 AM

Were the girls ever actually said to be identical other than their hair color & styles?"

I think you mean they were identical aside from their hair color and styles. I know that a few of the toys and merchandise had slight variations in skin tone between the three, but they were all still the same generally.

I really don't see a reason to assume that all of them would be straight

The first Rowdyruff Boys episode? The one where they all became teenagers? That time Buttercup had a crush on some random guy? Plus, it was a children's cartoon from before 2010, practically nobody was anything not straight.

Nope; pretty sure I meant it exactly as I typed it. "Other than" and "Aside from" are interchangeable in that sentence, along with "outside of", "besides", "with the exception of" in addition to several other options.

And IIRC, in the 1st Rowdyruff Boys episode (which I've only seen once, either from an old VHS or DVD, as YTV in Canada never seemed to air it for some reason) they kissed the boys in order to defeat/destroy them. They seemed to be in the standard "[opposite gender] are icky phase" that pretty much every kid goes through at some point. To take this as any indication of sexual orientation is laughable, at best. The Buttercup episode, perhaps; but that's still only evidence for one.

I've honestly never seen the one where they become teenagers. It's in the later years, isn't it, when the writing quality declined somewhat? It was also a fake "flashback" to a non-existent episode.

And, indeed, The City of Clipsville is listed on some PPG wiki as a non-canon episode (I've heard it was god-awful, anyway, with the only redeeming quality being the flashbacks to the wonderful Monkey See, Doggy Do/Two episodes).

https://powerpuffgir...-canon_episodes

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 27 August 2020 - 01:43 AM.

#45 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19237 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:33 AM

Somehow, the "Mailerpuff Girls" doesn't sounds as exciting.

Postalpuff Girls.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#46 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3944 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:52 AM

i dont wanna hijack the thread, but WHY would a lesbian be ...not good? doesnt sexuality evolve with age? and also its 2020 so why exactly IS THIS even a point of discussion?

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

I see behind a thousand lies that you try to hide

I bleed inside: you left your knife but I'm still alive
I...love the way you kill me
I love the way you watch me die

Life or death a bullet to the chest
I'd do it again...
Just when I think I've cut you out
You come with open arms to drag me down

#47 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44816 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:55 AM

Cause they specifically did a bunch of points in the cartoon which demonstrate their heterosexuality.

Are you not aware you're on the internets? This is kinda what it's about: mountains out of molehills and obscure trivia. :D

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#48 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2654 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:18 AM

To take this as any indication of sexual orientation is laughable, at best. The Buttercup episode, perhaps; but that's still only evidence for one.

I'm not sure why you're trying to convince anyone they were anything not straight in the cartoon? You may call some of my evidence laughable or even non-canon, but it's there.

There are probably more episodes where each of the girls has a crush on a guy, or pines after one, but I don't care enough to look them up.

and also its 2020 so why exactly IS THIS even a point of discussion?

If they aren't straight in the reimagining that's not to say something is wrong with it, it just means something has changed to fit it's new audience.

And to answer your question; because logic and speculation didn't end just because the calendar shifted forward one more year.

but WHY would a lesbian be ...not good

Nobody said this, check my spoiler tag on the last page.

Fortune favors the bold

#49 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 69024 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:32 AM

Eh, sometimes people have crushes on different people as kids than what they ultimately feel attracted to as adults. That can include genders.
It happens.

ACItEK8.png

#50 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2654 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:21 AM

Fair point.

Anyways, this digression has probably gone on for long enough.

Fortune favors the bold

#51 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:00 AM

And IIRC, in the 1st Rowdyruff Boys episode (which I've only seen once, either from an old VHS or DVD, as YTV in Canada never seemed to air it for some reason) they kissed the boys in order to defeat/destroy them. They seemed to be in the standard "[opposite gender] are icky phase" that pretty much every kid goes through at some point.

Incorrect. They did kiss them to destroy them, yes, but before they did, Blossom got excited over the idea while Bubbles giggled with glee. And afterward, Blossom and Bubbles both expressed how they liked kissing the boys and giggled cheerfully about it as if it had turned them on. Only Buttercup was disgusted both before and after the kissing even if it meant the boys' destruction because Buttercup is the "mushy stuff is sissy and gross" type of the three.

And when the boys were later brought back to life by Him, the girls recalled how they beat them before and Blossom declared, "Alright, girls! I think we know what we have to do. Lets's give'em some sugar!" But this time, Buttercup did not object like she did before. And Bubbles even got all excited and yelled "Oh! Oh! I want the blonde! I think he's cute!" and then actually embraced Boomer when she kissed him. And when kissing them didn't work this time, they tried repeatedly kissing them over and over, again with no objection from Buttercup (the kisses didn't work this time because Him had given the boys Cootie Shots that made the girls' kisses instead make the boys grow bigger and more powerful).

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#52 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2654 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:41 AM

I vaguely remember this.

Fair point.

I should clarify; the statement is definitely true sometimes in real life, but certainly not of cartoon characters from a show aimed at children from the 90s.

cheerfully about it as if it had turned them on.

You've really helped me out here man but despite how weird this is getting we should probably avoid talking about kindergarteners with these terms.

Fortune favors the bold

#53 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60894 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 27 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

Gay, straight, blanket - doesn't matter to me. But I've always been turned off by the "romantic" tropes in kids shows and adult shows. When I watch a superhero show I want to watch superhero stuff. If in the original He-Man there was a year long story arc about how Adam and Teela hooked up that would have been the most ridiculous thing I could have ever seen. 

And even in modern day "adult" shows, when the Iris West and Barry Allen drama or the Lana and Clark tensions happened that was just a signal to me that it's a filler episode and will be boring as hell. 

So regardless of what genders or orientations are involved, I have always thought the soap opera based drama was awful. An episode or two that builds the character and shows us more about who they are? Sure. But when it becomes the plot I hate it. 

I'm sure I'm in the minority with this opinion. I just like my "pew pew" being front and center with the other stuff being background noise instead of vice versa. 

#54 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11019 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 August 2020 - 04:53 PM

I'd also prefer superhero stuff dominate the plot.

But as this is a CW show about three 20-something young women, we all know there's bound to be at least a little bit of romance thrown in there sometimes.

Speaking of The Flash, I tend to find its Barry/Iris romance subplots fairly tolerable compared to other series aimed at that demographic... hell, sometimes even genuinely touching.

So if PPG takes after that in terms of writing quality of the "drama" bits (as opposed to, say, Arrow) I think it's the best we could hope for.

I'm not sure why you're trying to convince anyone they were anything not straight in the cartoon? You may call some of my evidence laughable or even non-canon, but it's there.

I'm not actually trying to convince anyone of anything, either way. I'd prefer less romance of all varieties in my superhero shows, and I don't particularly care what sexual orientations they choose for the girls (if they do at all).

But to suggest that if they did, and decided to make one a lesbian, that it's merely due to cynical pandering... that's what I take issue with. This show is for a modern audience, and the generation of kids who grew up watching PPG have grown up to be one of they most diverse and accepting generations in history. There's no harm in a little inclusion in a show aimed at this demographic as long as it feels like a natural part of whatever story they're trying to tell.

As D Immotalis said, things like sexuality can and do evolve with age. The girls were six in the series, and at six not much is set in stone. That gives the writers on the new series a lot of flexibility.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 27 August 2020 - 05:13 PM.

#55 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3617 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:57 PM

So apparently the script leaked, and it's really something.

oVI2iaJ.jpg

#56 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:02 PM

:wtf  :wtf  :wtf  :wtf  :wtf  :wtf  :wtf

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#57 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29932 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 June 2021 - 07:54 PM

God why does this even exist?  Buttercup as a serial lesbian predator, Bubbles having had a sex tape leaked, and apparently Blossom is just a straight out murderer.  Great job there!

Ironbite-and the whole thing only exists to crap all over the cartoon it sprang from.  Glad CW passed.

xC9l3eY.gif

#58 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 08:24 PM

It almost sounds like a self-loathing parody someone made as a joke to mock the grimdark edgelord trend... but no, it's completely legit. Why? What imbecile thought any of this was a good idea?

#59 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19237 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:36 AM

Wait, is that real?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#60 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4672 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:00 AM

Wait, is that real?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

The leak was REAL and the pilot was so bad that the bosses sent it back for repiloting but with the same people involved with the first pilot, but I think the end result will be the same regardless because they failed to change the writing team behind the show, so, I think in general, this show will be a total disaster, its born from a bad idea, in a time of bad ideas infesting throughout Hollywood with bad writers getting control of potential Gold Mines and mining for Coal instead!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users