Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

@  Kaon : (12 June 2021 - 08:03 PM)

man this chat is nothing but Bass X)

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 07:08 PM)

Carefull, he is a Bass Xo.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 June 2021 - 05:53 PM)

Aw, it's not even a shiny.

@  Sabrblade : (12 June 2021 - 05:27 PM)

A wild Bass X0 has appeared!

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 05:20 PM)

I didn't even try this time.

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass XÖ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

Photo
- - - - -

CW's "The Powerpuff Girls"

69 replies to this topic

#21 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44816 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:06 PM

I think my problem is the fact that the core concept only really works as a cartoon (or rather, as a children's show.) rather than as a high drama aimed at adults.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#22 thefakelink

thefakelink
  • Citizen
  • 1303 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:37 PM

I think my problem is the fact that the core concept only really works as a cartoon (or rather, as a children's show.) rather than as a high drama aimed at adults.

That seems to be CWs bread and butter.

#23 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 37423 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:52 PM

Mojo's origin DID vilify utonium, and utonium WAS a morally grey scientist. He set out to make "the perfect little girl"... in his basement workshop, and when they came out super powered, he immediately started using them to fight crime.

Just about everything in GSO's comment about Mojo is kinda not far off from the actual canon. He really is sorta a tragic figure thanks to the episode about his origin, that's kinda not-really a bad guy. He sorta wavers between being sometimes credible threat and just an annoyance usually landing somewhere between..

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#24 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3702 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

And now, my theory on why Warner Bros. even greelit this:

Yeah, I am shocked by the announcement as well.  I mean, the 2016 reboot ended last year, and they are willing to make another reboot, this time a live-action one where it will basically be what happens if Supergirl was like Riverdale?

Somewhere in the world, Craig McCracken is regretting signing the deal allowing Cartoon Network to keep the shows he made for them.

#25 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4672 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:24 PM

While I never really got into Power Puffgirls, this just screams BIG MISTAKE, Hollywood can't even get adapting anime right and now someone wants to adapt a chessy 90s cartoon into live action, this will most definely blow up in their faces or at least see a massive drop in ratings after the first ep, people would likely tune in to see how it looks but if they don't like it, they'll tune out and go and watch something else like the original show or prehaps a ep of Tom & Jerry!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#26 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49662 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:58 PM

Is anyone else absolutely terrified by the prospect of doing HIM in live action?

#27 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 25 August 2020 - 08:26 PM

Is anyone else absolutely terrified by the prospect of doing HIM in live action?

Only if they were to attempt a slavishly faithful recreation in live action and not just have him look like every other generic-looking live action depiction of the Devil seen in other primetime drama series, which I more or less expect them to do over the original campy, claw-handed, Santa-suited Him.

Edited by Sabrblade, 25 August 2020 - 08:28 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#28 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11019 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:10 PM

I'm not sure how "how concept" it's going to be, but I could see it working; but so much will depend on the tone they go for. I imagine they're aiming for adults because they want to capture the fans of the original series, rather than relying a new audience of kids. That makes the tone even more important, though, because original fans are going to be even pickier. If they manage to create a world that feels like a progression of the original series (moreso the first few seasons, when it was still traditionally animated and before the writing quality dropped), they could create something really interesting and unique. The show always did lend itself to a little bit more of of dark bent than the typical cartoon series about three 5yo girls (episodes like Knock it Off, Bubblevicious, Twisted Sister, Octi Evil, etc).

The Mayor will be a thinly veiled dig and modern day political figures, just to make a statement.

And how is that different from The Mayor of the original series? 

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 25 August 2020 - 09:13 PM.

#29 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60894 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:22 PM

Ok, here are more ultra cynical predictions based on whst we know and what i can see (dread) happening. Would love to be wrong.

The three won't be relsted AT ALL! This new show will redefine them as racially diverse and claim its progressive and empowering.

Their creation will have some dark, twisted nature to it, thus painting Utonium as a morally grey scientist of questionable ethics.

The Mayor will be a thinly veiled dig and modern day political figures, just to make a statement.

Miss Bellum will be the only competent leader. Extra points if the somehow find a way to make her the girls new guardian.

Mojo Jojo will be a made a tragic and suffering not-bad-really bad guy, whose backstory is another part of vilifying Utonium. That or they'll make him an incredibly freaky, sadistic killer, who is somehow still tragic.

The girls will get bullied and suffer some form of misogynistic attacks from guys who are jerks. Even though, as wonko said, they should be able to bench press trucks.

Sorry all, its just this whole stupid idea just boils my blood and i was never really into ppg. My niece loved it and still does. Not the reboot cartoon though.

You're pretty good at this. 

#30 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 7143 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:42 PM

I'm certain this will follow the same "dark teen drama" formula CW has successfully used to make popular, but super mediocre shows like Teen Wolf, Riverdale, and Nancy Drew.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#31 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2654 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:53 AM

This new show will redefine them as racially diverse and claim its progressive and empowering.

No, they'll be created in the lab at the same time, look nothing alike, but will still be genetic sisters because science. There will be so many interviews where the writers call this "subversive" or whatever and definitely try to make it sound like it's not just because it's a Big Corporate mandate.

or at least see a massive drop in ratings after the first ep

CW shows consistently rate .1s season after season and stay on air (well, except if they star Lucy Hale?). This is exactly what happened with Batwoman, but it's People say it's because of Netflix and DC Universe HBO Max deals but iunno.

It'll be depressing and filled with anger rather than fun ribbing. We were meant to like The Mayor, especially kids, he was basically Spongebob but in charge of a city.

Plus, there was that time he went full Rambo, or that time he gave that monologue about losing Ms. Bellum.

Also if one of them somehow isn't a lesbian on the CW (Buttercup, possibly Blossom) I'll be really surprised.

Spoiler

If there is one thing I want to actually see, it's their treatment of Princess Morbucks.

Edited by fourteenwings, 26 August 2020 - 12:54 AM.

Fortune favors the bold

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#32 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49662 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 03:54 AM

I am mentally not prepared for smoldering hot heartthrob Fuzzy Lumpkins.

#33 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Sukeban casts fist

• Citizen
  • 4138 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:29 AM

Man, this reminded me of the old 'Powerpuff Girls but older' idea I thought up (like everyone else, I imagine :p) years ago. The tone I was thinking of was more 'DCAU Justice League' rather than 'CW Riverdale', though. :doh

"disallusioned 20-somethings that lost their childhood to fighting crime"... You can hugging FLY and bench press semi trucks. If you aren't capable of making the best out of being gods on earth then it doesn't matter what your childhood looked like.

According to 'popular' thought these days though, superpowers instill such a crushing level of responsibility and guilt on a person that said powers are just not worth it anymore. See: most modern stories and renditions of Superman. :wtf

Edited by Demovere Xeno, 26 August 2020 - 04:36 AM.

#34 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Ballistic Knight Rises!

• Staff
  • 15290 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:29 AM

The Mayor in PPG was a satirical poke fun at politicians. Like the Mayor in Nightmare Before Christmas. Whereas modern digs at politics can too often be a helluva lot more mean-spirited and 'taking a political stance' than just straight up ribbing.

As for Mojo Jojo, yes his origin is tragic in the cartoon. But again, my thinking is that the live action version will somehow make it worse, while making Utonium even more actively cruel. I can imagine shades of Grodd from the CW Flash show.

fslookup.jpg

#35 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8502 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

If this show has the Gangreen Gang, could Ace use his newfound clout to get the Gorillaz to cameo?

#36 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 02:41 PM

I am mentally not prepared for smoldering hot heartthrob Fuzzy Lumpkins.

...What're the house odds of Fuzzy being the new mayor, running on the platform of...*ahem*..."making Townsville great again"?  It'd give them a excuse to fight the local cops, i guess.  Being "outlawed" and all. ("Impeach Fuzz" really was ahead of it's time...)

But, we're all being a bit pessimistic (...for good reason, but still).  It might not be SUPER dark.  It could end up being like Legends of Tomorrow, which can usually be goofy fun...with some dark moments, but usually fun.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 26 August 2020 - 02:52 PM.

#37 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44816 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:16 PM

Man, this reminded me of the old 'Powerpuff Girls but older' idea I thought up (like everyone else, I imagine :p) years ago. The tone I was thinking of was more 'DCAU Justice League' rather than 'CW Riverdale', though. :doh

"disallusioned 20-somethings that lost their childhood to fighting crime"... You can hugging FLY and bench press semi trucks. If you aren't capable of making the best out of being gods on earth then it doesn't matter what your childhood looked like.

According to 'popular' thought these days though, superpowers instill such a crushing level of responsibility and guilt on a person that said powers are just not worth it anymore. See: most modern stories and renditions of Superman. :wtf

Here's the thing though... they are in no way obligated to fight crime. In fact: unless they decided to become cops themselves, vigilantism is a crime. They can fly, start a high speed, ultra secure courier business. They can charge a premium and can work it out of their home. There, no responsibilities and assloads of cash. problems SOLVED.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#38 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:59 PM

Somehow, the "Mailerpuff Girls" doesn't sounds as exciting.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#39 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Sukeban casts fist

• Citizen
  • 4138 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 09:10 PM

Here's the thing though... they are in no way obligated to fight crime. In fact: unless they decided to become cops themselves, vigilantism is a crime. They can fly, start a high speed, ultra secure courier business. They can charge a premium and can work it out of their home. There, no responsibilities and assloads of cash. problems SOLVED.

I really should be clearer when I'm trying to be facetious while posting here, huh? :doh

I guess I'm just annoyed that 'popular' thought for a long while now is that most 'superheroes' are either A) acting on either a selfish interest or immense guilt, B) only doing so primarily because of the crushing influence of someone else, or C) getting off on the whole thing. At times it feels like people think that a superpowered person who simply wants to make their world a better place is less realistic than the very powers they wield. :(

#40 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11019 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 26 August 2020 - 09:33 PM

Were the girls ever actually said to be identical other than their hair color & styles? I know the animation style made them look identical, but as far as I can recall (and according to a google search) nowhere in the series were they ever referred to as triplets. Back in the day when I was a kid and a huge fan of the series, I never pictured them as identical in my own head.

This new show will redefine them as racially diverse and claim its progressive and empowering.

No, they'll be created in the lab at the same time, look nothing alike, but will still be genetic sisters because science. There will be so many interviews where the writers call this "subversive" or whatever and definitely try to make it sound like it's not just because it's a Big Corporate mandate.

or at least see a massive drop in ratings after the first ep

CW shows consistently rate .1s season after season and stay on air (well, except if they star Lucy Hale?). This is exactly what happened with Batwoman, but it's People say it's because of Netflix and DC Universe HBO Max deals but iunno.

It'll be depressing and filled with anger rather than fun ribbing. We were meant to like The Mayor, especially kids, he was basically Spongebob but in charge of a city.

Plus, there was that time he went full Rambo, or that time he gave that monologue about losing Ms. Bellum.

Also if one of them somehow isn't a lesbian on the CW (Buttercup, possibly Blossom) I'll be really surprised.

Spoiler

If there is one thing I want to actually see, it's their treatment of Princess Morbucks.

Politicians of the 90s weren't as harmful as politicians today. It could call for a different kind of parody. That said, they may keep the Mayor as a harmless, well-meaning buffoon (I hope they do). I miss the 90s.

As far as their sexuality goes, I suppose it's inevitable that a show about 20-somethings is going to feature some kind of romance subplot; but I hope it's not the major focus of series. That said, I really don't see a reason to assume that all of them would be straight (i mean, why? just because tehy were all created together, artificially?). Whatever they end up doing, as long as it's well-written there should be no issue.

In my idealized version of this concept, The City of Townsville and its inhabitants (other than the girls) would remain mostly unchanged from how we knew them in the first few seasons of the television show, other than the fact the city would be more like it was at the beginning of the film, since the girls aren't saving the day anymore. The world itself is perfectly-crafted; they just need to authentically recreate it in live-action. I could see Blossom being the one still most like her original character, but still having given up on crime fighting in favour of working with the Professor on scientific pursuits; probably while still living at home like a good Millennial and working on a PhD of her own. Buttercup would be the most likely to still actually be fighting crime in some capacity, but as a more violent, lone vigilante that the city's more inclined to be scared of. Or she could've gone the legit route and get a job in law enforcement as that'd give her an outlet for her anger and the chance to be physical. Either way, she'd be the most bitter and far-gone of the three. Bubbles I could see just trying to live a normal life, working the mediocre, unsatisfying (temp or contract) job of the average millennial. She'd have fallen back on the doormat-inclinations she was shown to have.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 26 August 2020 - 09:38 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users