Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (29 September 2020 - 01:35 AM)

Ever notice Kath SOucie's Janine in the later episodes of Real Ghostbusters sounds like Tara Strong's Sari Sumdac?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:10 PM)

I wish they were more universal like Beast Wars, Animated or Prime and as professionally done,

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:06 PM)

The Netflix shows are done for adults, the Generation toyline is for adults who grew up with G1.

@  Sabrblade : (28 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Who said it ever was?

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Whatever happened to WFC Earthrise being a kids show X'D

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 11:43 AM)

Cool, my last tablet couldn't run it, and I stopped caring by the time I got the new one. So thanks!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:27 AM)

There are crossover characters, but the amount and distribution... Marvel Vs Capcom this ain't.  If @wonko the sane? my bad!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:21 AM)

I've been playing for *checks account* 1002 days, 23 hours.  So, by 2021, it will have been three years.  I think it takes place in its own continuity, largely inspired by G1 but borrowing from other places.

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

@wonko the sane? Can only speak for Earth Wars, but so few they're easy to forget.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 07:39 AM)

Didn't they already do the across universes thing in that tablet game?

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:30 AM)

Also, make the setting an amalgamation of different Transformers series, rather than based on a specific one. Bring in things like 'Sentinel Major' as the primo Autobot jerk, and sleek car mode Vehicons as the Decepticons' basic grunt.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:27 AM)

KT just needs to incorporate the vehicle modes into the combat system, like Platinum did for Devastation, so they're for more than just wheeling it across the battlefield. =P

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:25 AM)

Transformers: Warriors of Cybertron! =D

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (28 September 2020 - 05:15 AM)

I want a Power Rangers Mosu. I would also take a Transformers Mosu. :D

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 September 2020 - 04:50 AM)

It even ended on a sequel hook.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 04:40 AM)

Man, I just want another Devastation game... =(

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 September 2020 - 01:53 AM)

Aren't TFs way more varied than Joes, as far as they'd work in gameplay? Like, Omega Supreme is vastly different from Bumblebee.

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

Hell, ripoff Super Robot Wars withTFs

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

IDK they could make something like FF tactics or Fire Emblem ripoff with Robots and i'd buy it

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 09:43 PM)

See, I feel GI Joe (with it's varied cast) is a better fit for a strategy game, where as Transformers feels more suited for a shooter.

@  Maruten : (27 September 2020 - 08:28 PM)

I might give them points for making a strategy game if it's actually a good strategy game.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:48 PM)

I mean, points for making a strategy game instead of third person shooter, but: urrrrgggg. Cyberverse.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:47 PM)

A transformers game for the switch? *checks* Urrrggg... cyberverse...

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM)

October will be a big month for Hasbro fans: Zoids, GI Joe AND Transformers all have brand new console games. All on the Switch at that!

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 09:04 AM)

At least in animated he was more driven than just "loyal bootlick".

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 08:29 AM)

Oof, That's a huge downgrade

@  Maximus Ambus : (27 September 2020 - 02:35 AM)

After rewatching Animated Sound and Fury, in my head canon Titans Return Soundwave is that Soundwave.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:09 PM)

On an unrelated note: I just got the BBTS email about kingdom pre-orders... and even the stuff I don't want I'm perfectly willing to get if it means I can have the rest of it.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:08 PM)

It's digimon. So first one, then the other.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

50/50 odds, it's either a helicopter with limbs, or a scantily-clad human with heli blades on their back. If female, 90% odds on the second one.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 September 2020 - 12:39 PM)

I read that as "Helicoptermon" and wondered what kind of Digimon that was.

@  Bass X0 : (26 September 2020 - 12:35 PM)

Helicopter-mom, transform!

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

Photo
- - - - -

Bayverse expanded universe or Aligned universe

31 replies to this topic

#1 tffan01

tffan01
  • Citizen
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:31 PM

I consider both series multimedia. Both of them (to varying degrees of success) tried ro establish a multimedia universe. Aligned had games, cartoon and novels and Bayverse had movies, comics, online cartoons, games (DOTM game tried to fit movie timeline) and novels. They tried to fit a single timeline.

Both of these more or less tried to be a multimedia universe, I think. Which one do you like more?

#2 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10739 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:40 PM

One of them turned me off from Transformers for several years; the other made two kickass videogames and a cartoon that, upon coming to it way later, turned out to be one of my favorite TF cartoons.

So I guess that'd make me pro-aligned?

MSzBav1.jpg

#3 CheeseSomersault

CheeseSomersault

Probably not a real person

• Citizen
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:47 PM

Aligned has produced better fiction, but at the same time I feel its Binder of Revelations is continuing to stifle the creative freedom of show runners to this day. I feel like so much of the world building in current series is still heavily influenced by the (imo) boring lore codified by the Aligned continuity, even if that continuity itself is over now for the most part.

Edited by CheeseSomersault, 12 August 2020 - 04:48 PM.

#4 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9803 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:57 PM

Aligned has Rescue Bots. Aligned wins. 

#5 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8939 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:31 PM

Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

#6 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31073 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:31 PM

The best parts of the movie trilogy expanded universe were everything outside of the films themselves, so that's a big knock against it when its primary media that most people were going to see above all else were its worst parts.

Also this.

Edited by Sabrblade, 12 August 2020 - 11:27 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#7 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18781 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:28 PM

Neither, only G1 forever and ever.

#8 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7864 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:51 PM

Aligned. TFP is best Transformers. Least marred by travesty of... ugh... noses.

Ud9yXyK.jpg

Edited by Maruten, 12 August 2020 - 07:08 PM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#9 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1418 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:43 PM

Aligned worked better because all the things were generally made to fit with it, while the Bayverse took the old Star Trek approach, basically was just the movies are true cannon, and if they do not use or contradict stuff from the books, comics, games, etc. then so be it.

I love the movies, but Aligned was definitely better for multimedia.
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#10 CheeseSomersault

CheeseSomersault

• Citizen
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:16 PM

Aligned. TFP is best Transformers. Least marred by travesty of... ugh... noses.

No noses and magnificent eyebrows are 2 design aesthetics from Prime that I'll always be down for in future series. 

#11 Unit Eleven

Unit Eleven

y'all'dn't've

• Citizen
  • 1062 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:18 PM

Now I want to see Barber continuity-wrangling Aligned.

On rare occasions, I have something to say.

#12 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51875 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:02 AM

Aligned has produced better fiction, but at the same time I feel its Binder of Revelations is continuing to stifle the creative freedom of show runners to this day. I feel like so much of the world building in current series is still heavily influenced by the (imo) boring lore codified by the Aligned continuity, even if that continuity itself is over now for the most part.

Ultimate origins of the Transformers, magical artifacts, and ancient robot gods aren't interesting in TF no matter who is doing them, and Aligned was put together under the influence of choices made in those areas for the two movies that preceded the first really visible media in the Aligned continuity. Said movie series, along with the then-current comics continuity, saw the effort come and they watched it go.

Aligned was successful in wrangling and unifying the things it was meant to, to the degree intended, during the time it was intended. But just like "what if Transformers had no noses", most aspects of the lore weren't really unique or original to Aligned and weren't altogether consistent once they were there. Which is fine, "Aligned" was an internal concept that had no real bearing on fans anyway, and we'd be calling it the TFP continuity with no pretensions if not for bad communication. 

So now that the TFP continuity is gone and no one at Hasbro is holding it up as any kind of exemplar for current fiction to emulate, I don't really think it's accurate to say that it's stifling anything - it's in the same position now as G1 or the beast era or AEC or IDWI or the Bay movies. I imagine the phase we're in now has its own special binder that they're smart enough not to brag about this time, one that was consulted, for instance, by the Netflix toy Generations show but not the preceding Machinima one. And that binder isn't a hard break from everything the "Aligned" one included, but neither was the Aligned binder a hard break from everything that immediately preceded it, either.

Aligned/TFP, the movies, and the IDW comic all contributed to where we are now, influenced each other, etc. One ingredient in a bigger soup. A soup chocked full of extra-chunky magic artifacts and set to simmer over hollow gravitas since 2007 or so.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 13 August 2020 - 05:04 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#13 CheeseSomersault

CheeseSomersault

• Citizen
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:25 AM

I agree that there is probably a new binder now, and it seems obvious to me that it is probably heavily based on the Binder of Revelations.

The Aligned kicked off the efforts of a unified brand identity. It didn't seem as successful as I imagine the leads at the time had hoped, but the current state of the brand and its efforts at unification are very clearly following in the footsteps of Aligned while being far more successful at actually aligning things (in the "squint and it all looks the same" kind of way that Aligned was going for, not in the "everything is literally one continuity as nerds understand the concept" type of way that a lot of fans thought Aligned was attempting).

Aligned is influencing things way more than any series other than G1 is. The roster of the 13 and Optimus being one of them, Optimus and Megatrons initially fighting together before Megatron decided to be evil, the gang going on a galaxy hoping adventure to the colony worlds before...

It just seems to me like the lore has been codified now in a way it never was before. The world and history of every series looks the same and it all kind of looks like Aligned.

#14 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18929 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:53 AM

tumblr_n3265ptAf81rlmca9o1_1280.png

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#15 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51875 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:32 AM

I agree that there is probably a new binder now, and it seems obvious to me that it is probably heavily based on the Binder of Revelations.

The Aligned kicked off the efforts of a unified brand identity. It didn't seem as successful as I imagine the leads at the time had hoped, but the current state of the brand and its efforts at unification are very clearly following in the footsteps of Aligned while being far more successful at actually aligning things (in the "squint and it all looks the same" kind of way that Aligned was going for, not in the "everything is literally one continuity as nerds understand the concept" type of way that a lot of fans thought Aligned was attempting).

Aligned is influencing things way more than any series other than G1 is. The roster of the 13 and Optimus being one of them, Optimus and Megatrons initially fighting together before Megatron decided to be evil, the gang going on a galaxy hoping adventure to the colony worlds before...

It just seems to me like the lore has been codified now in a way it never was before. The world and history of every series looks the same and it all kind of looks like Aligned.

I just don't agree that any of the content of the TFP continuity really stands out as more fundamentally influential than other strains that have been in recent media like the movies or IDW. Maybe I'm taking it for granted that since Aligned 2.0 is a Hasbro effort and the Binder was a Hasbro effort, while the movies and comics and even games were not conceptualized in house, I'd expect to see a lot of Binder in 2.0, and that's leading me to downplay it. Like, the Bay movies had a huge impact on lore that was filtered through Aligned, and then Aligned things appeared in the movies later on, but that exchange puts Aligned in the driver's seat both ways. At the same time, by virtue of being the version that was in house, Aligned was going to be the clearest expression of what Hasbro wanted to do with these ideas, and they're filtering similarly now, but that still feels less like Aligned is an entity that is influencing Hasbro's approach to the brand now, to me, than it does that Hasbro's approach to the brand shaped both of these things.

I do agree that the current structure of the brand is a second and actually successful effort at creating an aligned brand identity in the way that Aligned seemed less successfully intended to do, though. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 13 August 2020 - 07:35 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#16 CheeseSomersault

CheeseSomersault

• Citizen
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:36 AM

Hmm, yeah I think its hard to figure out whether the current franchise is similar to Aligned because it's directly influenced by it or because both series are both byproducts of Hasbro's unification efforts.

I see your point, so it might have been more accurate for me to say that Aligned was one of the first major symptoms of a direction that has many aspects that I'm not fond of

#17 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Citizen
  • 23083 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:22 AM

The Rescue Bots Expanded Universe kinda wins by default here, even if nothing else in that continuity lived up to its foundational text.

Edited by Cabooceratops, 13 August 2020 - 09:22 AM.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#18 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 5275 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:58 PM

Looking at Aligned as a whole we see the start of their race (Covenant, actually goes up to the end Prime), Pre-war Cybertron (Exodus), leaving Cybertron (War and Fall of games, Exodus again), the end of the war (Prime), Post-war (RiD 2015) and finally peach time (Rescue Bots Academy).

A lot of series show the start and end of the war, but usually the show ends as soon as the war does. I think it's pretty cool that we see all of that in Aligned, and instead of ending we see a point where they can focus on rescue teams and sports instead of fighting.

There are some good parts of Bayverse like comics and fights, but Aligned gets my vote.

#19 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27562 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:23 PM

Honestly, making this comparison just reminds me of how Prime really feels like it's meant to follow up on some alternate version of the early movies.

#20 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7864 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:48 PM

I know that latching onto typos or autocorrect whoopsies is... low-hanging fruit... but I like the sound of Transformers: Peach Time.

Orchard-based Botbots? Kiss Players sequel? Takara iced tea collab?

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users