Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (29 September 2020 - 04:20 PM)

I want Dr. Smoov to RUN

@  Bass X0 : (29 September 2020 - 03:15 PM)

I want Dr. Smoov or the Jaboody Show guys to dub over WFC with voices and personalities more in line with the 80s cartoon. That means no more jerk Bumblebee.

@  Maximus Ambus : (29 September 2020 - 01:35 AM)

Ever notice Kath SOucie's Janine in the later episodes of Real Ghostbusters sounds like Tara Strong's Sari Sumdac?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:10 PM)

I wish they were more universal like Beast Wars, Animated or Prime and as professionally done,

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:06 PM)

The Netflix shows are done for adults, the Generation toyline is for adults who grew up with G1.

@  Sabrblade : (28 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Who said it ever was?

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Whatever happened to WFC Earthrise being a kids show X'D

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 11:43 AM)

Cool, my last tablet couldn't run it, and I stopped caring by the time I got the new one. So thanks!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:27 AM)

There are crossover characters, but the amount and distribution... Marvel Vs Capcom this ain't.  If @wonko the sane? my bad!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:21 AM)

I've been playing for *checks account* 1002 days, 23 hours.  So, by 2021, it will have been three years.  I think it takes place in its own continuity, largely inspired by G1 but borrowing from other places.

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

@wonko the sane? Can only speak for Earth Wars, but so few they're easy to forget.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 07:39 AM)

Didn't they already do the across universes thing in that tablet game?

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:30 AM)

Also, make the setting an amalgamation of different Transformers series, rather than based on a specific one. Bring in things like 'Sentinel Major' as the primo Autobot jerk, and sleek car mode Vehicons as the Decepticons' basic grunt.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:27 AM)

KT just needs to incorporate the vehicle modes into the combat system, like Platinum did for Devastation, so they're for more than just wheeling it across the battlefield. =P

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:25 AM)

Transformers: Warriors of Cybertron! =D

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (28 September 2020 - 05:15 AM)

I want a Power Rangers Mosu. I would also take a Transformers Mosu. :D

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 September 2020 - 04:50 AM)

It even ended on a sequel hook.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 04:40 AM)

Man, I just want another Devastation game... =(

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 September 2020 - 01:53 AM)

Aren't TFs way more varied than Joes, as far as they'd work in gameplay? Like, Omega Supreme is vastly different from Bumblebee.

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

Hell, ripoff Super Robot Wars withTFs

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

IDK they could make something like FF tactics or Fire Emblem ripoff with Robots and i'd buy it

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 09:43 PM)

See, I feel GI Joe (with it's varied cast) is a better fit for a strategy game, where as Transformers feels more suited for a shooter.

@  Maruten : (27 September 2020 - 08:28 PM)

I might give them points for making a strategy game if it's actually a good strategy game.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:48 PM)

I mean, points for making a strategy game instead of third person shooter, but: urrrrgggg. Cyberverse.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:47 PM)

A transformers game for the switch? *checks* Urrrggg... cyberverse...

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM)

October will be a big month for Hasbro fans: Zoids, GI Joe AND Transformers all have brand new console games. All on the Switch at that!

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 09:04 AM)

At least in animated he was more driven than just "loyal bootlick".

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 08:29 AM)

Oof, That's a huge downgrade

@  Maximus Ambus : (27 September 2020 - 02:35 AM)

After rewatching Animated Sound and Fury, in my head canon Titans Return Soundwave is that Soundwave.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:09 PM)

On an unrelated note: I just got the BBTS email about kingdom pre-orders... and even the stuff I don't want I'm perfectly willing to get if it means I can have the rest of it.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:08 PM)

It's digimon. So first one, then the other.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

50/50 odds, it's either a helicopter with limbs, or a scantily-clad human with heli blades on their back. If female, 90% odds on the second one.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 September 2020 - 12:39 PM)

I read that as "Helicoptermon" and wondered what kind of Digimon that was.

@  Bass X0 : (26 September 2020 - 12:35 PM)

Helicopter-mom, transform!

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

Photo
- - - - -

General ThunderCats Thread

In case anyone else cares

42 replies to this topic

#1 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5694 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:41 PM

The new Super7 ThunderCats figures were sent to youtube toy reviewer "ToyBro". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGrvTpdaQEA&t=97s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Y52GU6XeY

There's heavy speculation that these were sent to ToyBro by Brian to try and do damage control due to a smaller youtuber from China getting a hold of the Ultimate Raphael via their Chinese distributor, and not reviewing it favorably. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2nAMOvI1M&t=254s

Unfounded accusations towards this creator were made that he had KOs or factory rejects. 

After the ToyBro reviews, ThunderCats.org member interviews ToyBro......for some reason. 

Now, on to the reviews from ToyBro themselves. I find them to lack any real punch, and glaze over the major issues with these figures in favor of just talking about how much he likes them. 

The issues:

Lion-O: Multiple Claw Shields (for...some reason), two pairs of the same hands, MAJOR QC issues with the head sculpts, etc

Mumm-Ra: Grossly incorrect colors.

Panthro: Grossly incorrect colors, taller than he should be, trunks not painted at all, repeated sets of hands. 

Jackalman: Despite knowing of this issue a YEAR in advance; Jackalman still has swapped calves. Still taller than he should be. 

Another issue is that Eric and Danielle (who did some work on the MOTUC Bios) were commissioned by Super7 to do the ThunderCats Bios. Bios that.....never made it to the boxes. Instead, they just repeat the Mattycollector bios. 

I've attached a color guide for the toy colors vs the show colors to show you how off they are; even accounting for lighting. I also provided the Facebook post by Danielle (Penny Dreadful) to confirm what I'm saying. 

I know some of this likely seems like pointless complaining......but Brian Flynn has said several times that they "listen to fans", only to prove the exact opposite, and this is really all I can do. 

I should be getting in the Reaction ThunderCats today, and will post here when I review them. 

This franchise just can't catch a break, can it?

Attached Thumbnails

• compare.PNG
  • penny.PNG

• D.M likes this

#2 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52681 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:16 PM

I can see the colors as a conscious attempt to go for "realism" which itself is pretty nebulous for sword fighting cat people but I digress.

Maybe they want a chance to do "accurate" colors as another release too. That seems to be in vogue for toy companies lately.

card-strongarm.jpg

#3 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8306 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM

Yeah sorry calling the colors "grossly" inaccurate comes across as fanboy nitpicking. (Except Panthro's trunks, those are just wrong, but honestly not something I noticed til it was pointed out). Character colors can vary from scene to scene to scene, episode to episode.

Also we already have a thread.

https://www.allspark...7/?fromsearch=1

Edited by Confuzor, 12 August 2020 - 11:31 AM.

#4 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5694 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:16 AM

Yeah sorry calling the colors "grossly" inaccurate comes across as fanboy nitpicking. (Except Panthro's trunks, those are just wrong, but honestly not something I noticed til it was pointed out). Character colors can vary from scene to scene to scene, episode to episode.

Also we already have a thread.

Only thread I found was a Roar thread, and I didn't want to derail it. 

Also......you source the colors by using cels. This is not difficult. Mumm-Ra's toy is literally BLUE when his show colors are a grayish green. That's not "fan nitpicking", that's just not paying attention. Especially at $45 each.

• D.M likes this

#5 Confuzor

Confuzor

• Supporter
  • 8306 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:36 AM

Sourcing from the cels still runs into the issue of how characters change from scene to scene or episode to episode. They are not uniform.

Its like when we get new transformers that clearly reference incorrect sticker placement on wiki photos.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just the language you're using can color people's opinions about what you're trying to say. Would I prefer more accurate colors? Yeah. But the harsh language indicates a stronger level of inaccuracy than I'm seeing.

#6 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7865 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:16 PM

Colour isn't really my bag, I would not be inclined to enter into this kind of discussion generally, but the chart above is a pretty compelling "uh, so why?" for me. They have definitely made some odd choices. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#7 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 3023 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:48 PM

Sourcing from the cels still runs into the issue of how characters change from scene to scene or episode to episode. They are not uniform.

Sorry man, but that's just false. Every show has specific colour charts for animation studios to follow. Sometimes the material was handled sloppily and the back up studios ended up getting pre-final references (in which case the work of the main studio is to be paid attention to), but in the case of Thundercats... whole show was done by a single studio so it consistently uses final material.

Edited by D.M, 12 August 2020 - 10:52 PM.

#8 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5694 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:11 PM

My channel's review for the Super7 Reaction Figures line is up!

#9 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7865 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:16 AM

I don't generally have even the slightest interest in Reaction figures but on Thundercats, I think it works.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#10 Caldwin

Caldwin

Boomerang Master

• Supporter
  • 26265 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:44 AM

Considering the older toys I already have (both classic 80's and the reboot) that are far more detailed and articulated, I have no interest in spending that much on a 5 poa toy the size of a Star Wars firgure. If they were no more than $5 I might be tempted to pick up 1 or 2 just for the hell of it. But I just never had much interest in the Reaction figures to begin with. With ultra detailed Neca figures and the like, 5 poa is just...why?

PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#11 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5694 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:52 AM

Considering the older toys I already have (both classic 80's and the reboot) that are far more detailed and articulated, I have no interest in spending that much on a 5 poa toy the size of a Star Wars firgure. If they were no more than $5 I might be tempted to pick up 1 or 2 just for the hell of it. But I just never had much interest in the Reaction figures to begin with. With ultra detailed Neca figures and the like, 5 poa is just...why?

RIGHT?!?!

• D.M likes this

#12 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7865 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:52 AM

I mean, and I never thought I'd be wasting time typing a defence of Reaction figures, but they're not competing with Neca or... any other REAL toy. They're not designed for people who want detailed, articulated, lovingly-designed figures. They're deliberately rubbish, intentionally flat out baaad, to capture some weird extra layer of faux nostalgia. "Action figures were like this when I was a kid so it's cool to see that ancient garbage aesthetic applied to anything and everything today". Saying "why would I buy this He-Man Reaction figure when I can get MOTUC instead" is completely missing the point. And, like... I'd choose MOTUC too. But that's still not the point.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#13 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5694 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:22 AM

I mean, and I never thought I'd be wasting time typing a defence of Reaction figures, but they're not competing with Neca or... any other REAL toy. They're not designed for people who want detailed, articulated, lovingly-designed figures. They're deliberately rubbish, intentionally flat out baaad, to capture some weird extra layer of faux nostalgia. "Action figures were like this when I was a kid so it's cool to see that ancient garbage aesthetic applied to anything and everything today". Saying "why would I buy this He-Man Reaction figure when I can get MOTUC instead" is completely missing the point. And, like... I'd choose MOTUC too. But that's still not the point.

So......the point is to spend money on a toy that's in no way worth it for some asinine reason of "iT's LiKe StAr WaRs"?

I'll give you points for honestly and directness, but all it does is really highlight how stupid the concept AND market is. 

• D.M likes this

#14 Confuzor

Confuzor

• Supporter
  • 8306 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:19 PM

There are people out there who collect a size class. I guess this is for them? Yay?

#15 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3800 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:15 PM

Eh, they're not my thing, but there's clearly a market for them given that Super 7 have built a business around them. Ultimately it's not like low production run 5POA stuff existing is blocking other products, so more power to them.

#16 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7865 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:14 PM

So......the point is to spend money on a toy that's in no way worth it for some asinine reason of "iT's LiKe StAr WaRs"?
I'll give you points for honestly and directness, but all it does is really highlight how stupid the concept AND market is.

Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion. At least, if there's any other appeal I don't know what it is, because it OBVIOUSLY isn't "existing in a MOTUC space" (to continue using MOTUC as an easy example of higher end figures).

And clearly the market is healthy because they keep adding more properties so they're obviously popular enough to do well.

I would never buy a MOTU Reaction figure because vintage MOTU is its own whole weird thing with a lot of character and a very specific aesthetic, and it's a line I owned a lot of as a kid. But I've never seen a vintage Thundercats figure in my life, so I have no emotional attachment to the original toys and if I was after Thundercats but didn't want to pay Fancy Toy prices, I think the Reaction figures would scratch that itch for me in a tolerably eccentric way.

Also -

Eh, they're not my thing, but there's clearly a market for them given that Super 7 have built a business around them. Ultimately it's not like low production run 5POA stuff existing is blocking other products, so more power to them.

This is a good point, they coexist with other lines so there isn't even any excuse to be cranky at them. They can be easily ignored.

Edited by Maruten, 15 August 2020 - 06:15 PM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#17 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5694 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:39 PM

I would never buy a MOTU Reaction figure because vintage MOTU is its own whole weird thing with a lot of character and a very specific aesthetic, and it's a line I owned a lot of as a kid. But I've never seen a vintage Thundercats figure in my life, so I have no emotional attachment to the original toys and if I was after Thundercats but didn't want to pay Fancy Toy prices, I think the Reaction figures would scratch that itch for me in a tolerably eccentric way.

I\d recommend the Savage World figures at that point. 

#18 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52681 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:51 PM

I'd have bought all the Transformer Reaction figures at $3-$5 but they want Deluxe prices.

card-strongarm.jpg

#19 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18929 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:21 AM

It's more of a novelty "what if?" line, from what I understand.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
  • D.M likes this

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#20 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5694 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:30 PM

Both the original and 2011 ThunderCats are on Hulu. The former is just straight DVD rips; including missing background music from the second episode. 

Doggone it. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users