Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (29 September 2020 - 01:35 AM)

Ever notice Kath SOucie's Janine in the later episodes of Real Ghostbusters sounds like Tara Strong's Sari Sumdac?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:10 PM)

I wish they were more universal like Beast Wars, Animated or Prime and as professionally done,

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:06 PM)

The Netflix shows are done for adults, the Generation toyline is for adults who grew up with G1.

@  Sabrblade : (28 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Who said it ever was?

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Whatever happened to WFC Earthrise being a kids show X'D

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 11:43 AM)

Cool, my last tablet couldn't run it, and I stopped caring by the time I got the new one. So thanks!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:27 AM)

There are crossover characters, but the amount and distribution... Marvel Vs Capcom this ain't.  If @wonko the sane? my bad!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:21 AM)

I've been playing for *checks account* 1002 days, 23 hours.  So, by 2021, it will have been three years.  I think it takes place in its own continuity, largely inspired by G1 but borrowing from other places.

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

@wonko the sane? Can only speak for Earth Wars, but so few they're easy to forget.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 07:39 AM)

Didn't they already do the across universes thing in that tablet game?

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:30 AM)

Also, make the setting an amalgamation of different Transformers series, rather than based on a specific one. Bring in things like 'Sentinel Major' as the primo Autobot jerk, and sleek car mode Vehicons as the Decepticons' basic grunt.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:27 AM)

KT just needs to incorporate the vehicle modes into the combat system, like Platinum did for Devastation, so they're for more than just wheeling it across the battlefield. =P

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:25 AM)

Transformers: Warriors of Cybertron! =D

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (28 September 2020 - 05:15 AM)

I want a Power Rangers Mosu. I would also take a Transformers Mosu. :D

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 September 2020 - 04:50 AM)

It even ended on a sequel hook.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 04:40 AM)

Man, I just want another Devastation game... =(

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 September 2020 - 01:53 AM)

Aren't TFs way more varied than Joes, as far as they'd work in gameplay? Like, Omega Supreme is vastly different from Bumblebee.

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

Hell, ripoff Super Robot Wars withTFs

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

IDK they could make something like FF tactics or Fire Emblem ripoff with Robots and i'd buy it

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 09:43 PM)

See, I feel GI Joe (with it's varied cast) is a better fit for a strategy game, where as Transformers feels more suited for a shooter.

@  Maruten : (27 September 2020 - 08:28 PM)

I might give them points for making a strategy game if it's actually a good strategy game.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:48 PM)

I mean, points for making a strategy game instead of third person shooter, but: urrrrgggg. Cyberverse.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:47 PM)

A transformers game for the switch? *checks* Urrrggg... cyberverse...

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM)

October will be a big month for Hasbro fans: Zoids, GI Joe AND Transformers all have brand new console games. All on the Switch at that!

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 09:04 AM)

At least in animated he was more driven than just "loyal bootlick".

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 08:29 AM)

Oof, That's a huge downgrade

@  Maximus Ambus : (27 September 2020 - 02:35 AM)

After rewatching Animated Sound and Fury, in my head canon Titans Return Soundwave is that Soundwave.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:09 PM)

On an unrelated note: I just got the BBTS email about kingdom pre-orders... and even the stuff I don't want I'm perfectly willing to get if it means I can have the rest of it.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:08 PM)

It's digimon. So first one, then the other.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

50/50 odds, it's either a helicopter with limbs, or a scantily-clad human with heli blades on their back. If female, 90% odds on the second one.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 September 2020 - 12:39 PM)

I read that as "Helicoptermon" and wondered what kind of Digimon that was.

@  Bass X0 : (26 September 2020 - 12:35 PM)

Helicopter-mom, transform!

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

Photo

Gaming and Growing Old

62 replies to this topic

#1 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48336 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:38 PM

Forgive me if this topic gets a bit introspective and blog-y. But I'm three weeks on from turning 37. Been gaming pretty much as far back as I can remember - Atari 2600 - and I've been watching Developer streams, videos, and what have you about the upcoming Paradox game, Crusader Kings 3.

And, truth be told? I'm not digging the changes made.

Which got me thinking. So far, nothing this year has grabbed my attention in the gaming industry. I was hyped for DOOM Eternal, but they did away with the formula I fell in love with in 2016 and I never bothered to pick it up. I was hyped for Mount and Blade: Bannerlord, but shelling out for Early Access made me realize I was buying a prettier version of Warband with some new minigames.

This isn't a new phenomenon for me. Civilization and StarCraft - large, large parts of my childhood and teenage years respectively - just failed to wow me and I wandered about from Civ6 and StarCraft 2 (The latter before Legacy of the Void, even). Diablo 3 felt soulless. It took me nine years just to push myself to beat Skyrim's main quest. I railed against the game Stellaris for constantly reinventing the wheel of its core gameplay mechanics and have shelved it.

In short, I've become an old man in terms of gaming. I look at the games coming out and the games I currently have available, and I don't see anything really crying out for purchase. To take it back to Crusader Kings 3....why would I invest hundreds of dollars eventually (It's a Paradox Game and their last game - Imperator - locked 75% of the soundtrack behind Day One DLC as well as a season pass. If you don't buy it, you don't get music for ANY DLC. They love to nickel and dime), when Crusader Kings 2 is still a fresh and fun experience and I haven't even given regions outside Western Europe a fair shake after 500+ hours? I don't need nor really want 3D full body portraits of my characters when the game's "story" is told through their traits and inter-personal relationships. 3D serves no purpose.

It's a strange experience to having been a lifelong gamer and hitting a point where there's part of me going "You know what? I'm good. I'm content with the experiences I already have." Am I weird? Or is this something other older gamers are contending with?

#2 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9229 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:31 PM

Same, but I just turned 45.

I have an Xbox One X and over 300 games on it.  Many of which I've never even started.  What have I played over the past couple months?  Nothing but 2D Metroid games released over 15 years ago.

I'm not into FPS games anymore and I generally loathe the entire multiplayer culture.

Get off my lawn.

Edited by Pale Rider, 07 August 2020 - 07:32 PM.

#3 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43788 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:17 PM

No, not alone. While I do find some new titles are exciting me, I find it happening far less often and the will to actually spend money to acquire new titles happens even less. I just happily threw money at the bioshock collection for my switch, but titles that have been sitting in my wishlists (and have actually gone on sale a couple of times.) are being ignored with the justification of "I don't need any new games right now".

It might be because we're more jaded as we age (20 days to 37 over here.), or it might be because the games industry has literally become an industry in the same vein TV and movies wherein new mechanics are passed over by the big houses in deference to cliched formulas which actually sell titles.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#4 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5544 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:14 PM

Yeah I feel this is true for most of us who are reaching the older ages. I'll be 39 literally next month. I've watched as certain types of games become the 'mainstream' popular games, and many I just don't care for. Over the past three years I've beaten maybe five or six 'new' games, and gotten around to perhaps four older games.

Doom Eternal disappointed me for similar reasons it seems to do for most. I wanted more of the 2016 Doom, and I got a muddled re-vamp of the battles and weapon system I don't really care for.

Otherwise I got and beat: Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Link's Awakening Remake, and Fallen Order. Yeah gee only one wasn't a remake of a game I loved 20 years ago...

Besides Destiny I just don't game much anymore. Not helped by the fact that while I love RPGs. I simply don't have the time to sink 40 to 60 hours into one anymore.

Still, I've been glancing over at indie games. Seems a good fit for new games in the older styles we like. Can't tell you how many fun metriodvania type games I've gotten from the indie scene.

Edited by videomaster21XX, 07 August 2020 - 10:15 PM.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#5 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Turn your back on fate and write your own story

• Supporter
  • 48147 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:19 AM

Closing on 36 here. I remember reading about God of War for PS4 and getting hyped about it. Woo, fast-paced violence! Viking mythology! Kratos actually getting a personality!

Then I started, and.....I just don't care. Combat feels slow, Kratos is still mostly a growling asshole, and it just feels like every "real is dirty and grimy" game out there. I still haven't finished it and have kinda lost any enthusiasm to do so. (I could go into changes made to Norse mythology in the game, but I understand they have to change things to actually work as a game.)

I think I'm just getting tired of how so many modern games have to be dark and gritty with emotionally broken protagonists who show as little emotion as possible until they get that one scene where they cut loose to show how badass they really can be or whatever. It was interesting the first time or two, but now everyone does it. Now I just wonder how any sane person is supposed to relate to these characters. Why should I cheer for White Stubble-faced Buzzcut Soldier #467 when he's just as much of a bastard as the people he fights?

#6 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48336 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:55 AM

Not helped by the fact that while I love RPGs. I simply don't have the time to sink 40 to 60 hours into one anymore.

Oof...I FEEL that one. RPGs used to be my jam, but now-a-days when I start one up I'm just looking at the time investment into them and it kind of dries up the enthusiasm. I also find it difficult to do the initial "hero's journey" thing where you have to start by clearing out rodent infestations before you inevitably move up to killing avatars of death and destruction. It's not that I don't want progression in games, it's just that most games' initial challenges are so banal and mundane as to be meaningless. The first ten hours of an RPG ultimately never seems to matter from a story or progression standpoint anyway - it's just there to be an overlong tutorial and to make you grind up to the necessary abilities for the story to actual start.

Skyrim's a perfect example of this. You start in Helgen, go to Riverwood, go to Whiterun, which sends you BACK to Riverwood all with the understanding that you'll be obligated to check out every ruin and point of interest along the way. The Dragonstone - and Farengar - cease to be narrative focuses after that initial quest. It's just wasting time.

Why should I cheer for White Stubble-faced Buzzcut Soldier #467 when he's just as much of a bastard as the people he fights?

For the same reason cheesy action movies with leads that threw out 1 liners were popular. It's lowest common denominator stuff.

#7 Caldwin

Caldwin

Boomerang Master

• Supporter
  • 26260 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:32 AM

I feel the "not as much time to sink into an RPG" bit. Still, I continue to buy every Zelda title that comes out. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tushima and the occasional fighter still hold my interest.

I'm 42. I still like some games coming out. I do see myself buying fewer games than I used to, but I think it's less of an age thing and more about other factors.

1. I don't want to pay $60 to get preached at. I absolutely loved "Life is Strange," but "Life is Strange 2" was so preachy and political, I almost didn't finish it.

2. Life is dreary enough, especially in 2020. Can't we have entertainment that's a bit more cheerful? Ghost of Tsushima being my new favorite not withstanding, life is too serious right now to have my free time made so serious. I have no compulsion to play Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat or other such heavy games. Pokemon, Street Fighter and Splatoon are still fun though. A bit more Keelah Se'lai and a bit less Bosh'tet please!

3. Yeah, time is also an issue. Open World games are one thing. You can doa quest or two and call it a night. JRPG's Shtick seems to be to keep it going for hours on end and sometimes you just have to unplug.

4. $60 a pop! Gaming has never been cheap, but when you have: mortgage, car payment, utility bills, every day life expenses, of course you have to be choosey about what you spend your money on.

So over all, yeah, I can see why video games aren't as thrilling as they used to be, but I think it's less of an age thing and more of an industry thing.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#8 thefakelink

thefakelink
  • Citizen
  • 1299 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:04 AM

Early 30s here. When I think back to the most recent games I’ve bought and played, they’re all tied to games I played when I was younger. Mario Oddessy, FFVII remake, BOTW, Samus Returns, Pokémon. The last new IP I played was Horizon and I didn’t even finish it. I liked it well enough, but it just fizzled. I have a backlog of RPGS that I started and then couldn’t find the time to finish. When I do have gaming time, im likely to run through Metroid or Megaman again.

I’ll agree that with age comes fiscal responsibility. However, I think the VG industry is targeting a certain demographic and inevitably people are going to age out.

#9 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1964 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:07 PM

41 here. Yeah, time and interest have both faded as the years go by. There are definitely still bright spots. Breath of the Wild was the first time I took time off work just to stay home and play a game, and it was absolutely worth every second. RPGs are often too big a time sink for me anymore, but Dragon Quest XI was a wonderful way to keep me occupied while I was at home recovering from surgery. And the sheer emotional depth of The Last of Us games was just amazing.

But outside of those few high points, not much really stands out to me anymore. I still play games, and they serve well enough to help keep me entertained. But more and more, I find myself looking to do something, and not finding any game that I want to play right then. And that's really frustrating since I have an enormous backlog of games that I bought because I really wanted to play them, but just never had time.

That lack of time is still an issue. I seem to only have a little bit of time here and there. When I do get a bit of time, I find I'm reluctant to start anything new. I'm unwilling to commit the time it would take to see a new game through to the end. I know that if it does grab me enough that I want to get through it, I'll either get frustrated with how slow my progress is, or end up sacrificing what little sleep I get to get more time on the game.

One other high point for me has been getting to play games with my kids. They're 10 and 6. Seeing how excited they get for things like Pokemon or Animal Crossing has been a lot of fun. I'm finding it's hard to find stuff that we can play together that will keep both of our interests though.

#10 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52681 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:13 PM

Oof...I FEEL that one. RPGs used to be my jam, but now-a-days when I start one up I'm just looking at the time investment into them and it kind of dries up the enthusiasm.

Very much this.

card-strongarm.jpg

#11 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Not a model, perhaps

• Citizen
  • 4024 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:43 AM

Not to veer off-topic somewhat, but:

I think I'm just getting tired of how so many modern games have to be dark and gritty with emotionally broken protagonists who show as little emotion as possible until they get that one scene where they cut loose to show how badass they really can be or whatever. It was interesting the first time or two, but now everyone does it. Now I just wonder how any sane person is supposed to relate to these characters. Why should I cheer for White Stubble-faced Buzzcut Soldier #467 when he's just as much of a bastard as the people he fights?

2. Life is dreary enough, especially in 2020. Can't we have entertainment that's a bit more cheerful? Ghost of Tsushima being my new favorite not withstanding, life is too serious right now to have my free time made so serious. I have no compulsion to play Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat or other such heavy games. Pokemon, Street Fighter and Splatoon are still fun though. A bit more Keelah Se'lai and a bit less Bosh'tet please!

Thank Primus I'm not the only one who thinks this. :doh I'm in a bit of a rough patch mentally, with some life-related problems and compounded by how utterly crap this year has been. I really don't want one of my main forms of escapism to become as cynical and bleak as the world currently is.

#12 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10899 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:25 AM

Oof...I FEEL that one. RPGs used to be my jam, but now-a-days when I start one up I'm just looking at the time investment into them and it kind of dries up the enthusiasm.

Very much this.
Sort of this for me.. lately I've been "I'm not spending 60 dollars unless I can get at least 60 hours out of it". Even then I'm tempted to play a demo first.

The only game I got 'excited' about this year (that wasn't a remake) was paper Mario, and I haven't bothered to buy it yet.

Edited by Glenn, 09 August 2020 - 08:26 AM.

#13 tec

tec

Dai....CLONE

• Supporter
  • 32841 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:40 AM

I want to crank my gaming dial to 11 and start really gaming only thing holding me back is that all the new games I bought are on the PS4 and my hard drive is fully packed with things I can not delete so kinda stuck

Im not going to join you all in the old folks home just yet but I can feel it trying to start I wont let it

Edited by tec, 10 August 2020 - 12:42 AM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

https://www.twitch.tv/tecnic5x5

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#14 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48336 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:39 AM

IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOOOOOOOOOOU!

#15 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43788 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:27 AM

Entropy always wins tec, always.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#16 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Turn your back on fate and write your own story

• Supporter
  • 48147 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:46 AM

old.jpg

#17 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48336 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:47 AM

old.jpg

I feel personally attacked.

"No Steam Cloud, stop backing up the saves to these games. I'm deliberately making room on my computer. STOP BRINGING THEM BACK!"

#18 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8869 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:38 PM

i havent bought a new game* since...5 years? when did gat out of hell release? oh wait. i did by breath of the wild. so 2 in like 5 years. not so much cause im getting old (though i am :D ), i dont like paying $60+ for a game and having to still keep paying with season passes and loot boxes and anything else they charge for.

not that it really matters. there hasnt been anything thats got my interest anyway, since i havent even gotten a one or a ps5

maybe it IS because im getting old...

*ive bought more older games than i have newer ones in the past few years, usually goty editions

Edited by Telly, 10 August 2020 - 01:38 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#19 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:11 AM

I'm sure some of it's you - age, boredom, time, all the usual stuff - but some of it's the changing industry. Big games no longer exist to deliver an experience, but to leverage that experience into microtransactions. We all own way too many games thanks to Steam and Humble and whatever else, so we get sunk cost guilt and decision paralysis. Nobody makes demos anymore, so everything we buy is blind.

The games industry as it was when we were younger is gone, and it's no longer interested in catering to us.

#20 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 7103 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, the major impact of age is that it means we have a "before" experience so we know just how the industry is screwing its audience over.

In need of BW Bonecrusher's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users