Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

@  Kaon : (12 June 2021 - 08:03 PM)

man this chat is nothing but Bass X)

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 07:08 PM)

Carefull, he is a Bass Xo.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 June 2021 - 05:53 PM)

Aw, it's not even a shiny.

@  Sabrblade : (12 June 2021 - 05:27 PM)

A wild Bass X0 has appeared!

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 05:20 PM)

I didn't even try this time.

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass X÷ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

Photo

Catch-all conspiracy wingnut discussion - because people believing stupid things can be dangerous

343 replies to this topic

#1 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 14001 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:55 AM

I thought maybe we should have a separate thread in which we discuss all those wacky lunatics who believe in all sorts of insanely absurd conspiracy theories.

From the more outlandish ones such as the allegedly staged moon landing or that whole Flat Earth wackiness, to the more immediately dangerous ones such as, basically, everything related to the Coronavirus crisis (population control, mandatory vaccinations, microchip implanting etc.) and the rising cult of QAnon.

The problem, essentially, is that people always believed in stupid things (in the Middle Ages, the Black Plague was assumed by many to have been caused by Jews poisoning wells), but the Internet has given them whole new means to connect to each other, reinforce their bullshit, come up with even more outlandish garbage and spread their insane myths to new audiences, in the process eroding any concept of "common sense" and "widely accepted facts".

With idiots who actually believe in crazy conspiracy theories, or at least pander to the believers in the hopes of gaining more votes, in positions of power, and some of these lunatics actually worshipping Trump as their idol who will cleanse the world of all the evil men and bring about a new Golden Age of purity or whatever shit they expect him to do, we should really address the issue, and how to deal with these craziacs.

Ignoring them doesn't help. It just helps reinforce their myth that they're being marginalized and oppressed. Pointing out facts to them doesn't help either. They'll just scream "fake news" and assault you for obviously being part of the conspiracy.

Hey, remember when QAnon was only about drinking the blood of children? Now it's about eating them as well. These people seriously believe in the existence of an elite that does all sorts of evil things to innocent children, and are ready to take steps to kill said elite. These people are dangerous.

And they refuse to wear a mask because they consider it a "muzzle", a symbol of oppression, or just believe it contains toxins deliberately intended to kill them. And so they potentially spread the virus because FREEDOM. 

Edited by Nevermore, 06 August 2020 - 03:58 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#2 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14693 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:08 AM

There are so many people around here in Kansas who buy into the Qanon thing that it's physically painful.  My brother in law has fallen into that rabbit hole as well.  I love the guy, but he's not one for truly critical thinking.  Still, it's always disappointing when friends and family buy into obvious stupidity designed to manipulate.  

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#3 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5601 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:18 AM

You forgot to mention the Coin Shortage causing us to go away from Paper Money, to all Digital so that the machine can track all our purchases, and thus destroy us.... somehow....

#4 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44816 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:21 AM

The great irony being how far behind in paperless money the US is due solely to the ridiculous volume of regional banks and the completely and utter inability for them to all work together on a unified interact system.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#5 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 14001 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:00 AM

Last week I had the unfortunate "pleasure" of meeting one of those weirdos at a store. He started out harmless enough by insisting the measures to contain the Coronavirus were going "overboard", then went down the rabbit hole in rapid succession:

- The media are lying to us about the virus.

- The media were lying about the moon landing, which was staged (of course).

- When I asked why the Soviets didn't expose the US, he claimed the US and the Soviet had a "gentlemen's agreement" - the Soviets would get the first man in space, the US would get the first man on the moon. Nobody has ever been in space because it's unsafe and full of deadly radiation.

- The whole world is built upon lies.

- We're being controlled by forces that are not from Earth. (A vague "hint, hint" about Lizard People or whatever other "Aliens secretly rule us" bullshit he believes in)

- He even had a new one I didn't know yet: The astronauts already inadvertently admitted that it was a lie - allegedly, the subconscious will sometimes make people tell the truth through "reverse speech". He cited an example where our chancellor, Angela Merkel, said "I wish everyone a happy new...", and allegedly that sentence contained reverse speech, however the hell that is supposed to work.

We have a guy at work whose job is to teach people about company policy, work standards etc., and he's a Flat Earther, thinks the Holocaust has been at least blown out of proportion, and believes in a conspiracy theory specific to Germany, which I'll elaborate on in a minute. Regarding the flat Earth bullshit, I brought up the issue of seeing the Earth's curvature from a plane, which he promptly shrugged off by insisting that planes "obviously" have curved windows so that the horizon would appear curved to passengers.

Now regarding that Germany-specific conspiracy theory I mentioned, it comes in several flavors, with a lot of overlap between them.

• Germany is not a free country, it's still an occupied territory. Why are there still American soldiers stationed here? They're occupying us. We never signed a formal peace treaty, thus we're officially still at war. (The Two Plus Four Agreement of 1990, which made the German reunification possible, is either ignored or explained away by those people.) 
  • Germany is not really a country, it's a company, an LLC. (A few years ago, someone found out that a "Federal Republic of Germany, LLC" exists, which is really a thing but is not what these people think - after all, if someone were to found a "United States of America Incorporated" today, that wouldn't magically make the country a corporation. The fact that the German ID card has the bureaucratic name "Personalausweis" ("personal ID") is also cited as "evidence" because the German word "Personal" can also mean "staff".
  • Post-World War II Germany has not been legally established. Thus, the German Empire still exists, and the current democratic government is illegitimate. Those people often refuse to pay taxes or respect any orders and requests by official authorities because those are allegedly not authorized. There are also several people who have declared themselves the legal successors of Nazi Germany's government and are issuing their own money.
  • There is a myth that one can exempt oneself from paying taxes by formally sending in a letter in which one declares "quitting" the German country and thereby becomes an "autonomous person".

Edited by Nevermore, 07 August 2020 - 04:33 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#6 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 4260 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:29 AM

Sovereign citizens are stupid wherever they live.

https://www.thedaily...-local-children

Having poisoned Africa nations against the LGBTQ community, American conservative conspiracy theorists have turned on a new target: Democrats.

#7 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 18524 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:51 AM

I need more country specific conspiracies told to me in my life
Http://www.scatterville.com

#8 -LittleAutobot1218-

-LittleAutobot1218-

🌟 Able to relate anything to Transformers.

• Citizen
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:19 PM

People are crazy, whats else is there to say. -__-

tf__didn_t_go_as_planned____by_masqueadr

#9 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 34415 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:46 PM

Never mind me. I'm just over here loading more points into my "misanthropy" stat. 

"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#10 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 5071 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:32 PM

I need more country specific conspiracies told to me in my life

New Zealand's election has the "New Zealand Public Party", led by Billy Te Kahika who seems to be into all the big conspiracies:
https://www.stuff.co...-for-the-centre

In an episode early last month, Te Kahika told Eastwood he had received a credible death threat from a well recognised international assassin, who had evaded quarantine measures and entered New Zealand to silence Te Kahika. The plot was shut down, he said, and the assassin was last seen fleeing to Queenstown, a well-known CIA hangout.

Conspiracy-based parties here don't get much traction because, well:

Almost immediately after setting up the NZPP, Billy Te Kahika himself became the subject of a slew of conspiracy theories, driven largely by other notable figures within New Zealands conspiracy theory movement.

Among them were claims that he was a Māori separatist, based on his work with the Māori king; there were claims that he was a plant by the Chinese Communist Party, a Scientologist, and an abortion industry executive.

#11 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 12111 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:13 PM

In an episode early last month, Te Kahika told Eastwood he had received a credible death threat from a well recognised international assassin, who had evaded quarantine measures and entered New Zealand to silence Te Kahika. The plot was shut down, he said, and the assassin was last seen fleeing to Queenstown, a well-known CIA hangout.

tumblr_p3v2cpkgvp1vgaif5o4_500.gif

#12 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 14001 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:51 PM

https://www.thedaily...-local-children

Having poisoned Africa nations against the LGBTQ community, American conservative conspiracy theorists have turned on a new target: Democrats.

"Just get onto these ships, we'll take you to America where you're gonna be safe from those evil slave traders."

Edited by Nevermore, 09 August 2020 - 06:52 PM.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#13 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 5071 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:21 PM

I thought I'd share this column by Dark Tourist creator and fellow Kiwi David Farrier about the mainstreaming of conspiracy and how to handle people who've been sucked in:

https://webworm.subs...s-not-about-b9b

#14 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 5358 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:28 PM

TIL there's a whole subreddit dedicated to people posting stories about [ex-]friends and family members going off the deep end, and potentially advice for anyone wanting to talk them down.

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

#15 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3562 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:22 AM

Don’t forget that conspiracy theorists are just as common on the far-left as the far-right.

In Britain, a conspiracy theory believed by Corbyn supporters and followers of his Momentum organisation is that Corbyn only didn’t win the two elections he fought as Labour Party leader due to a vast Jewish, sorry, ‘Zionist’ conspiracy, coordinated by Israel. According to them, this conspiracy was behind what they call “weaponised antisemitism” and ‘accusations’ that Corbyn is a Jew-hater. All people of any vaguely Jewish ancestry are under suspicion for involvement in this conspiracy, including people whom they believe to have Jewish names, like current Labour leader Sir Kier Starmer. Of course, the people whom are not behind this are a group of people, including an elderly actress best known for a bit-part in a Harry Potter film, who suddenly claimed to have Jewish ancestry, but they’re apparently the good guys because they loudly state their status as ‘anti-Zionist’ Jews, a group which Corbyn’s supporters claim to be the actual authentic Jewish people.

I’m not making any of this up.

#16 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36687 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:47 PM

An antisemitic conspiracy accusing people of "weaponized antisemitism" just makes me think of the Tom & Jerry meme where Tom is pointing the gun into mouse hole only to have it come out of the wall pointed at his own head.

#17 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 14001 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:19 PM

I one met this deranged guy who started out seeming normal before devolving into a conspiracy nutcase (they always seem normal at first) who held the bizarre claim that the true force of evil is a secret cabal of Sanatists that pretend to be Jews in order to defame the real Jews.

So basically, that guy can have his cake and eat it too: Jews are evil (well, the "fake Jews" are), and at the same time Jews (the "real" ones) are the victims.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#18 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11464 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:33 PM

Sounds like Black Hebrew Israelites

#19 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 5071 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:37 PM

Another set of covid cases have cropped up in NZ, resulting in the country going into level 2 lockdown (level 3 in Auckland) and it's resulted in the conspiracy wingnuttery intensifying. One "theory" I have seen is that the government is working up to declaring martial law on October 1.

The worst has been the leader of the opposition party and her deputy implying that the governing party has been keeping vital information secret. It's difficult to see what sort of motivation would be behind doing that, or what advantage there'd be, but this is where we're at.

#20 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 5358 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:48 PM

Didn't New Zealand completely close its borders more than two weeks ago? What are people doing, sneaking in?

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users